Has Eric and the team kicked the bucket?

DarthSealth

SNIP...

I encourage you to learn to recognize when it is time to simply take a break and play something else.

Clearly there is no way you are mistaken with that view point so in all seriousness.

How can we get more to leave? How can we get more to take a break and stop paying and thus stop playing.

It's one thing to encourage or say someone should take a break, but the real question is how can you get them to do it? What is your solution to the problem? Offer some constructive feedback.

As we all know, their negative attitude is more than warranted on the game because of several areas being just terrible at the moment from content cadence to bugs to over reliance on really, REALLY old content and that is enough to make anyone complain but it seems some stick around anyway.

So in your own words and expanding on your idea of getting even one person to take a break, how do we solve that problem? How do we get one to leave and thus any other complainers to leave as well?

And what exactly, that is realistic, would make you happy?

Yeah, I thought so.

/disappointed

Dasty

Along with what biwoare has already put on the table.

I don't think new daily areas are unrealistic. They should be cranking out new daily areas like there is no tomorrow. A consistent reason to get in game and do something in multiple new daily areas.

Now, they would have to stay as far away from the design of the POC iokath daily area as possible and design similar to Section X, Oricon, Yavin 4 and even black hole or CZ-198 but I don't think thats an unrealistic thing.

Also create new things to do in older event areas is something not to unrealistic. Give a new reason to go back to those areas. Make it new content built into old event. The area is already there saving time. Just add in new missions and new bosses with some new rewards as well.

those two off the top of my head.

Edited by Quraswren

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been with you on the "enjoy playing the game while you can" plane of thought, Dasty. Except I find that I'm not anymore. I'm not enjoying repeating the same things ad nauseam. So much so that my play time in the game has decreased very, very drastically. This from someone who used to spend many hours every single day in the game.

What is realistic? That they start acting like a AAA MMO. I don't give a crap if they are developing another game, they are killing this one. Put some freaking effort in.

Realistically though, they could start with posting more than once every week and a half here on the forums. Start talking about what's coming up instead of making everyone wait - especially if all that's coming is the stuff we already know is coming! It's not like there is any suspense here, just give us an idea. Making us wait for a road map that will give only cursory information about stuff we already knew about just isn't good enough anymore. I also really miss the days of the regular live streams. Bring that back! In a lot of ways I think it helped enforce their own deadlines. But more than that, it gave us a feeling of being "in touch" with the developers of the game, and knowing that we weren't spending our time on a game that wasn't getting attention, but quite the contrary: they had plans for the future and that made me want to stick around to see those come to life.

Something more than maintenance mode style content would make me happy. A couple of class-locked companion returns and a single overdue Ops boss also isn't good enough anymore.

I always intended to be here until the lights went out, but I find it hard to even find a reason to log on these days, and that's seriously saying something when you're talking about someone who has played the game enough to have 75 level 70s and more than a dozen of them at GC 300. It's hard to find someone more hard core dedicated to playing this game than me, and most all aspects of it, too.

To Bioware, I say: Give me a reason to log on. Give me something to be excited about, something to look forward to... something on the horizon. Right now? There isn't much of anything to look forward to and seems like nothing on the horizon. Tease some content for 6.0, it won't kill ya to give us something to look forward to, and have some hope in... but it might kill ya to continue to be silent, or repeat the same things you've been saying for the last 6 months as a "road map" for the next 3.

Some awesome points Penny!!!! Great reply!!!

Edited by TUXs

Clearly there is no way you are mistaken with that view point so in all seriousness.

How can we get more to leave? How can we get more to take a break and stop paying and thus stop playing.

So in your own words and expanding on your idea of getting even one person to take a break, how do we solve that problem? How do we get one to leave and thus any other with complainers get them to leave as well?

Right?! Because that's the real issue...people just need to "take a break". Luckily, we've had over 2 million players "take a break", which allowed Bioware to cut down from 218 servers to the 5 we have now. I'm really glad to see Andy encouraging more to do that, because that's really all that's needed here...we just need long time players and ardent supporters of this game to "take a break"...solid advice.

:rolleyes:

I've been with you on the "enjoy playing the game while you can" plane of thought, Dasty. Except I find that I'm not anymore. I'm not enjoying repeating the same things ad nauseam. So much so that my play time in the game has decreased very, very drastically. This from someone who used to spend many hours every single day in the game.

What is realistic? That they start acting like a AAA MMO. I don't give a crap if they are developing another game, they are killing this one. Put some freaking effort in.

Realistically though, they could start with posting more than once every week and a half here on the forums. Start talking about what's coming up instead of making everyone wait - especially if all that's coming is the stuff we already know is coming! It's not like there is any suspense here, just give us an idea. Making us wait for a road map that will give only cursory information about stuff we already knew about just isn't good enough anymore. I also really miss the days of the regular live streams. Bring that back! In a lot of ways I think it helped enforce their own deadlines. But more than that, it gave us a feeling of being "in touch" with the developers of the game, and knowing that we weren't spending our time on a game that wasn't getting attention, but quite the contrary: they had plans for the future and that made me want to stick around to see those come to life.

Something more than maintenance mode style content would make me happy. A couple of class-locked companion returns and a single overdue Ops boss also isn't good enough anymore.

I always intended to be here until the lights went out, but I find it hard to even find a reason to log on these days, and that's seriously saying something when you're talking about someone who has played the game enough to have 75 level 70s and more than a dozen of them at GC 300. It's hard to find someone more hard core dedicated to playing this game than me, and most all aspects of it, too.

To Bioware, I say: Give me a reason to log on. Give me something to be excited about, something to look forward to... something on the horizon. Right now? There isn't much of anything to look forward to and seems like nothing on the horizon. Tease some content for 6.0, it won't kill ya to give us something to look forward to, and have some hope in... but it might kill ya to continue to be silent, or repeat the same things you've been saying for the last 6 months as a "road map" for the next 3.

Good post. I don't disagree with anything you've written per se, just that our reactions to it are slightly different. I find myself in a similar situation. I'm already a Resolute Commander (all 8 classes at 300 GC) and am just playing some alts now and then. Fortunately, I enjoy ESO as much as this game and it is coming out with a new DLC this month.

I guess my only point is that for whatever reason they are not providing info on: a) blazingly obvious stuff we already know about and is locked-in / hard-wired (e.g., the new FP, which companions are returning, etc.; and b) anything about 6.0. In fact, they've gone further and said explicitly they won't discuss 6.0. I can understand not getting ahead of 5.8, but there is no fathomable reason in my mind why those details couldn't have been announced in January. I know nothing about video game development, but I assume you know what is in the pipeline at least a couple months out.

So, given their unwillingness or some external constraint preventing communication I can't fathom -- I can only go by results / outcomes. And, as you, I ,and many others have noted -- they need to step it up. But if they have nothing to say -- discussing a bunch of pablum on the forums ain't gonna help -- at least me.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I don't think new daily areas are unrealistic. They should be cranking out new daily areas like there is no tomorrow. A consistent reason to get in game and do something in multiple new daily areas.

Now, they would have to stay as far away from the design of the POC iokath daily area as possible and design similar to Section X, Oricon, Yavin 4 and even black hole or CZ-198 but I don't think thats an unrealistic thing.

Also create new things to do in older event areas is something not to unrealistic. Give a new reason to go back to those areas. Make it new content built into old event. The area is already there saving time. Just add in new missions and new bosses with some new rewards as well.

those two off the top of my head.

Both good ideas -- the second one in particular since presumably they could build on to existing maps thereby lowering costs.

Would it really kill you guys to make a post a day? It's been 8 days since your last post. Signs of life are a good thing Eric, even if you have nothing new to report or say...knowing you guys are still here can make a difference.

And if he posted every day, and said 'Nothing to report' you'd be unhappy with that.

They have nothing to say.

But, keep asking.

And if he posted every day, and said 'Nothing to report' you'd be unhappy with that.

They have nothing to say.

But, keep asking.

Why would he do that? I would like him to comment on anything game related - favorite LI, best parts of the game, his favorite story, favorite class...anything...it would be stupid to do what you suggested.

Why would he do that? I would like him to comment on anything game related - favorite LI, best parts of the game, his favorite story, favorite class...anything...it would be stupid to do what you suggested.

Im pretty sure he gets paid to work, not make meaningless posts to satisfy someones lack of patience.

For you.. and the handful cheering you on here......... setting aside the almost universal agreement that we all desire more content, not less........ something I think just about everyone here in the forum agrees about....

I encourage you to learn to recognize when it is time to simply take a break and play something else. Honestly.. we have all been there done that at some point on an MMO, including this one. A break very often refreshes your enjoyment of the game when you come back later. Believe it or not.. this actually works for a lot of players... and the very often return later with a much better appreciation for the game that months before frustrated them to the point of getting worked up as you are at this moment.

In contrast.. what exactly is served by your extremely dismissive and negative view about the game right now? That is a serious question. What benefit are you gaining by continuing to so something with a game that you clearly do not enjoy any more ... to the point where you don't want to log in? And why.... why would you depend on some "hope based desperation" that requires they tease out future content plans to keep you hooked in your disappointment??

There are a lot of MMO options out there, and even a good number of Star Wars game options out there that you can use to defuse some of your frustrations. There is no shame in taking a break and coming back later when they drop some content you personally do appreciate and approve of. It is actually a healthy thing to do when you are frustrated... and I have done it myself a number of times over the years covering a number of MMOs.. including this one.

On the other hand.. you are free to keep making yourself feel miserable about the game and blaming the studio... and just stand pat and not log-in, but keep subscribing and keep attacking the game in the forum. Yes.. that is clearly an option... but how does that solve your unhappiness with the state of the game?

Your post brought a tear to my eye because it probably hits at a deep seeded root of many players problems. Frustration about something generally comes from self-modifiable roots. People obviously know how to express their concerns and complaints, but rarely take it upon themselves to rectify and resolve the problems. Or perhaps put some perspective into place to compare two possible scenarios. Are you better off logging in or monitoring the forums daily only to be frustrated, or would it be better/worse overall to go do something else you enjoy for 3 days and come back frustrated still but had fun for 3 days?

Many people already believe that BW moves as slow as molasses, so if you miss 3 days, do you really expect to have missed new content actually being implemented? Maybe word is revealed about upcoming content, but does it really matter enough that you need to be the first to know and cant still engage 3 days later? Is your sub an exclusive day-to-day sub?

Im pretty sure he gets paid to work, not make meaningless posts to satisfy someones lack of patience.

As a community manager you'd think managing the community and talking with them would be part of the gig no matter what it is.

Communication is key. It doesn't have to be inside secrets but if the community has to make a post wondering if they are dead to get a response from them, then there is indeed a problem on biowares end.

Edited by Quraswren

SNIP

... and the very often return later with a much better appreciation for the game that months before frustrated them to the point of getting worked up as you are at this moment.

I'm not worked up. I'm disappointed. But I'm actually quite calm about the whole thing, even if it makes me sad to see this happening. I'm not new to the MMO world, by a very long shot. I've seen games I've played and loved closed down, and almost none of them was in the state that this one is right now. It stands on the IP alone, but even that won't last forever.

In contrast.. what exactly is served by your extremely dismissive and negative view about the game right now? That is a serious question. What benefit are you gaining by continuing to so something with a game that you clearly do not enjoy any more ... to the point where you don't want to log in? And why.... why would you depend on some "hope based desperation" that requires they tease out future content plans to keep you hooked in your disappointment??

On the other hand.. you are free to keep making yourself feel miserable about the game and blaming the studio... and just stand pat and not log-in, but keep subscribing and keep attacking the game in the forum. Yes.. that is clearly an option... but how does that solve your unhappiness with the state of the game?

I hope that by posting my frustrations, desires, wishes, and criticisms here that someone will read them and perhaps something good will come of it. I have played and enjoyed this game for 6 years, and it would take very little for me to do that for 6 more. So I'm going to let them know what that is in the hope that something akin to it happens.

You don't have to like it. You don't have to approve. You don't have to read my posts. But I think you do the game a giant disservice by pushing people out the door who love this game and would rather see a reason to stay here than take a break that might turn permanent when enough of us leave and quit paying to support what little we do have around here.

So, as much as I appreciate your concern for my mental health or whatever... I'm fine. I'm not raging at anybody, developers included. I've often given praise where it was due (Keith's improvement of the CXP/GC system in particular). I'm expressing my opinion. That's not that unhealthy a thing to do, honestly. But trying to stifle others from expressing their opinions or suggesting that even MORE people leave this game is probably not in the best interest of it's long term health. I wouldn't stop you from doing it though, as you have a right to your own opinion as well.

Good post. I don't disagree with anything you've written per se, just that our reactions to it are slightly different. I find myself in a similar situation. I'm already a Resolute Commander (all 8 classes at 300 GC) and am just playing some alts now and then. Fortunately, I enjoy ESO as much as this game and it is coming out with a new DLC this month.

I guess my only point is that for whatever reason they are not providing info on: a) blazingly obvious stuff we already know about and is locked-in / hard-wired (e.g., the new FP, which companions are returning, etc.; and b) anything about 6.0. In fact, they've gone further and said explicitly they won't discuss 6.0. I can understand not getting ahead of 5.8, but there is no fathomable reason in my mind why those details couldn't have been announced in January. I know nothing about video game development, but I assume you know what is in the pipeline at least a couple months out.

So, given their unwillingness or some external constraint preventing communication I can't fathom -- I can only go by results / outcomes. And, as you, I ,and many others have noted -- they need to step it up. But if they have nothing to say -- discussing a bunch of pablum on the forums ain't gonna help -- at least me.

Dasty

That's fair. I'm currently trying to like WoW. Bleh... :(

Edited to add: I play Heroes of the Storm and love the fact that in Blizzard's games (the couple that I play anyway) it seems they are always either talking about or adding new stuff. Pre-orders for the next WoW expansion were so popular that it crashed the game servers due to people ordering it through the in-game menus. New races, new raids, new areas (I have watched some streams of the Alpha and it looks gorgeous!). I would much rather be raving about what was coming to SWTOR this year - even if I only had tidbits of information. But, alas.... we got nothin'.

Edited by PennyAnn

This is why he doesn't. Because some troll would come along and say "aren't you paid to work and not make meaningless posts?". Pot calling the kettle black, Mr. Meaningless Posts.

This is why he doesn't. Because some troll would come along and say "aren't you paid to work and not make meaningless posts?". Pot calling the kettle black, Mr. Meaningless Posts.

That guy's life wouldn't be complete if he wasn't being contrary. The ignore function is a wonderful thing.

As a community manager you'd think managing the community and talking with them would be part of the gig no matter what it is.

Communication is key. It doesn't have to be inside secrets but if the community has to make a post wondering if they are dead to get a response from them, then there is indeed a problem on biowares end.

How do you open and maintain communication with a crowd that overanalyzes and overcriticizes every post, and no more than 5 minutes later is expecting a new update. You cant. The expectationsare unreasonable. If they livestreamed themselves coding new content, it still wouldnt be enough for this crowd.

Having read some of the posts here and agreeing with those who are opposite sides, I guess it's a difficult situation.

I agree with Andryah saying taking a break can help to ease down some frustration, but also with PennyAnn, and speaking up as that's usually what makes change happen.

Right now for me, I am taking a break of the game myself and have been playing WoW + working on my art. The last time I logged in was to buy the hover mount on direct sale, so I can sell it later.:rak_03: And before that, well... I don't really remember!

I'm not really feeling like grinding CXP right now or doing much else. Content droughts happen, and while we've been dehydrated of content here for quite a long time, I decided to stay subbed to support the game and get my forum fix.👀

Anyway there is no right or wrong here, taking a break and speaking up for changes are both valid points.

I hope that we'll all get some answers soon! I think we could all use some good news right about now. :)

I have already done what I felt needed to be done, long before some randoms on a forum will try to tell me - dropped my long time sub, which i have not cancelled until now. Dropped it a few weeks ago, and have a exactly 4 weeks left.....But...this does not mean I will stop posting my opinions on the forum, just to let some people feel better with their delusions for the game. Oh...far from it.

Some people think this may be a good thing for their continuous safe zone existing, but considering the state of the game, the servers and the population, I'd say it is very unfortunate. Nobody is raging, at least I am not, I am just saddened by the neglect and mismanagement this game has endured and still endures.

Taking a break for a few months and come back for what exactly, some minutes worth of content...or to replay old content for 10000th time, or grind some cxp like an asian robot...lol.

Edited by ExarSun

I have already done what I felt needed to be done, long before some randoms on a forum will try to tell me - dropped my long time sub, which i have not cancelled until now. Dropped it a few weeks ago, and have a exactly 4 weeks left.....But...this does not mean I will stop posting my opinions on the forum, just to let some people feel better with their delusions for the game. Oh...far from it.

Some people think this may be a good thing for their continuous safe zone existing, but considering the state of the game, the servers and the population, I'd say it is very unfortunate. Nobody is raging, at least I am not, I am just saddened by the neglect and mismanagement this game has endured and still endures.

Taking a break for a few months and come back for what exactly, some minutes worth of content...or to replay old content for 10000th time, or grind some cxp like an asian robot...lol.

Good call. You're doing what untold millions have done across the span of every MMORPG. You've completed the content currently available and will return if / when new content that interests you is released.

I'm currently on a break from WoW for this exact reason, but looking forward to Battle for Azeroth! Woot!

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Good call. You're doing what untold millions have done. You've completed the content currently available and will return if / when new content that interests you is released.

I'm currently on a break from WoW for this exact reason, but looking forward to Battle for Azeroth! Woot!

Dasty

I'm excited too, and I'm ready to serve my new king Anduin. :rak_03: /swoooooon!

I am however still playing as I want my void elf.:rak_06: And right now there isn't much to do over here! :p

How do you open and maintain communication with a crowd that overanalyzes and overcriticizes every post, and no more than 5 minutes later is expecting a new update. You cant. The expectationsare unreasonable. If they livestreamed themselves coding new content, it still wouldnt be enough for this crowd.

How do you maintain open communication if you rarely post in your own forums? you cant. if you think a quarterly roadmap every 5 or 6 months is hard, you have low standards.