Whos yours favorite tank?

wingzyeah

The tank that keeps aggro the whole time. I honestly dont care what the tank is and will never hate on a tank because of its class, so long as he knows how to tank with that class properly. All tanks are perfectly able to do their job so it just comes down to how good the player is.

The tank that keeps aggro the whole time. I honestly dont care what the tank is and will never hate on a tank because of its class, so long as he knows how to tank with that class properly. All tanks are perfectly able to do their job so it just comes down to how good the player is.

This, All three tank spec have to tools to do the job, a few boss fights are easier for one build over another. but in the end it still matters more that the player knows what they are doing and an awareness of what is happening

• 2 weeks later...
I prefer guardians because they seem to negate damage much better than shadows and on the same lvl as vanguards. Overall as long as it isn't a shadow because most shadows stack too much endurance and not enough defensive stats.

shadows have the single highest mitigation potential (mathematicaly) but many people just play them plain wrong. endurance stacking is always the wrong way to go and even in full campaign, if you hvae over 25.5k hitpoints your doing it wrong. and im saying 25.5 being the upper absolute limit.

people with 25.5k health are prolly gearing wonr because they are prolly useing the +41 mod with high main stat over the high endurance mods that have +32 mitigation stat.

i would say that i prefer vangaurds, because even bad PT/VG tanks will mitigate damage well it seems, and they have a pull and good aoe. jugg tanks are amazing, but i think to be good at jugg tamnking takes a little more work than people put in alot of the time. i love my shadow tank, but i know healing them is a pain because they nerfed them so hard in terms of armor and self heals.

There is nothing wrong with stacking Hit points after you get to a point that you are getting diminishing returns for the main survivality stats.

I think the idea thats HP is wrong for tanks came form some Shadow tank somewhere that is upset he has to stack defensive and shield/absrob cus he wears a dress to tank.

the vanguard class naturally has more shield and absob, of course they arent going to be at 30% defensive while 60% sheild and absorb.

i doubt its possible to even get a toon to those stats, the game made 3 seperate tank classes that need different gearing. HP is FANTASTIC once you have met the diminishing returns, just makes the healing easier ( can drop that extra AoE on the raid while a 32k tank is doing just fine).

Shadows\Assassins are the most fun to play so my vote is for them, however something in heavy armor already has an advantage over someone wearing light armor. In that case, Guards/Juggs are the second most fun to play especially if they are your Biochemist. Edited by Lorica

I ran a Shadow tank and I agree that stacking too much Endurance over defense/shield chance/absorb is not the way to go.

My stats: (before i switched him to DPS for a change of pace)

around 30% damage reduction (armor)

30% def chance

60%+ shield chance (kinetic ward)

60% shield absorb (and i had relic that gave absorb chance increase)

My HPS were around 20k-21K

This is all from memory been playing a healer more now adays.

The only downside with a Shadow is multiple mobs with 8 charges of kinetic ward can go quick.

With kinetic ward up, I could mitigate 80%-90% damage.

A tank with 25k health with low defensive stats will take 20k damage faster than a tank with 20k health with defensive stats maxed as much as he/she can.

And what other tank class has an ability to negate 100% of a force/tech attack? Resilience?

Many people claim that the Shadow has the best agro management then the other classes, I kind of agree.

Edited by DragooGC

As of right now my Shadow tank stats are as followed

HP - 27,363

Damage Reduction - 40.28%

Defence Chance - 29.98%

Shield Chance - 64.46%

Shield Absorption - 60.06%

So far the only boss i have had trouble with over our Vanguard tank is Kephess the Undying because his main Attack Wrist Laser can't be mitigated. Other then that I have zero problems with everything else

• 3 weeks later...

Whoever says health isn't important is very misinformed, on certain fights, for example Firebrand and Stormcaller your mitigations don't mean ****, it's all about your health,

So if you're a tank walking into NiM EC with 22k health you better hope you have some damn good healers

Whoever says health isn't important is very misinformed, on certain fights, for example Firebrand and Stormcaller your mitigations don't mean ****, it's all about your health

The only time that mitigation "don't mean ****" is if you're tanking Stormcaller (Firebrand is *pure* M/R so mitigation means everything there) and, at that point, your hp only matters insofar as giving your healers a reaction window to keep you alive. Unless you routinely drop to sub 4-8k hp while tanking Stormcaller, that extra hp cushion from your 26-30k hp isn't actually contributing at all. It's just sitting there, being pretty and doing nothing.

This is interesting, No one said powertech as their favorite. I figured since they have the smoothest damage intake they would be a fav for healers. I figured I would see some hate for shadows/sins due to there natural spikiness( especially if a healer isn't used to them). Interesting to see that the few that have actually chosen a fav have went mostly jugg/guardian. Edited by Shadowseve

Interesting to see that the few that have actually chosen a fav have went mostly jugg/guardian.

I think a lot of this has to do with the player being more important than the class. It's true for everything but especially true for Tanks since it requires a lot of situational awareness and the ability to predict incoming damage/mechanics/etc. Guard/Jugg tanks definitely have the higher skill bar to become functionally proficient with, which means that it's going to weed out a lot of the idiots very quickly. VG/PT tanks are so simple and forgiving that almost anyone can run one effectively so you're generally going to see a lot higher percentage of idiots at the helm of one than you would Guard/Jugg tanks. Bad Shadow tanks are going to go squish because said player doesn't know how to use their active survivability tools properly, but a good healer is going to carry them through it. As such, at the end game, Guardians tend to be the ones that look the best: you can progress reasonably far into the endgame as a bad VG or bad Shadow, but you really can't do that as a bad Guardian tank. Essentially, the same mechanics that make a lot of people not bother with Guardian tanking are the same thing that ensure that only effective Guardian tanks can progress beyond a certain point, almost ensuring a certain degree of skill.