Watch “Conflict Rising” Trailer

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This community is amazing (read: bad). BioWare finally announces the free flight space combat that everyone has been wanting, and the first several posts are, "Where's the PvE?, " and "This should have been in at launch." As opposed to just, "Cool! Thanks!"

If you give away free ice cream, someone will complain about the lack of chocolate sauce and/or sprinkles.

:rolleyes:

Edit:

Hm. I'm wondering if I should hope this will have voice chat like ME3 MP, or hope not. I know I'll be tempted to continually mutter: "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar..." and that might get annoying to other players.

*heavy damage*

"It's okay! I'm a leaf on the wind!" "What does that mean?!"

Edited by Sinapus

If you give away free ice cream, someone will complain about the lack of chocolate sauce and/or sprinkles.

Some people expect too much and when things didn't live up to their expectations, it's normal to feel disappointed. I'm not defending anything or anyone here but I can understand why a lot of people feel afraid and unsure, as I can sympathize with people who have valid complaint. Sadly some people prefer to just complain at everything. Me? I appreciated what we get at the moment, and being upset over this change nothing at all. Although I had hoped that future content will be real expansion with the continuation of faction based and class stories.

I'm really looking forward to this expansion. Hoping for ships that fill different roles in combat. While I don't enjoy the current pvp action of swtor, I did come here from a space-based pvp game. I can't wait to see if this is anything like that game was because I loved it enough to play for over 2 years. I reserve my "good job Bioware"'s until I've actually tried it.

Two thoughts.

1. As this is their initial release of this type, I hope everyone tempers their expectations at launch. I think it will be great but I'm realistic and understand that this is a starting point: limited areas, limited battles etc. So lets temper our expectations and look forward to a great addition to the game.

2. So... should we start grinding comms and ship upgrades now? Will it be of any benefit? I can grind with the best of them and can get my ship up to par in short order if I know there is a pay off with regard to the expansion.

I see quite a few people excited over free-flight, but I think that's an assumption based on a video and not on any documentation (at least that I could find).

I agree that PvP on rails sounds far fetched and free-flight makes more sense, but I'm going to curtail my enthusiasm until I know for sure what it is I'm getting excited about.

There will not be a new planet and there is no increase to the level cap with this expansion. We really wanted to focus this expansion around space off of rails where you get to fight your friends (and enemies!) :)

To that point, there will not be any Space based PvE content with the Digital Expansion. It is only going to be PvP.

-eric

/5freeflights

Edited by Phrase

It made the hair stand up on the back of my arm. Consider me enormously excited. Add PvE side to it and I will switch to infinitely excited. :jawa_biggrin:

Kind of ironic that the, THE Arena patch was, in fact, 75% PvE patch, and the first true PvP patch is, well, SPACE!:D

But, as I said, I'm quite excited, nonetheless.

Edit:

Hm. I'm wondering if I should hope this will have voice chat like ME3 MP, or hope not. I know I'll be tempted to continually mutter: "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar..." and that might get annoying to other players.

*heavy damage*

"It's okay! I'm a leaf on the wind!" "What does that mean?!"

I'll just sing at you then.

Yadda yadda yadda.. No, we don't want any of that nonsense. You're forgetting that there's a huge paying customer base who don't give a jack about that content and who are being all the time ignored. There has been several PvP specific updates. If you think that those who play the game differently have no right to express their opinion and it's worthless then your whining is even less so. So cork it yourself.

You lost all credibility to your argument when you said the bolded part

Where have you been? before 2.4 PvPers haven't seen any major content updates IN OVER A YEAR. If you include 2.4 PvE has seen

A new full story arc planet

3 Operations

6 HM 55 FPS, 2 of them brand new flashpoints

3 New Daily areas

Macrobinoculars and Seeker Droid Questlines

A New Companion (Treek)

2 Reoccuring Events

Pvers (and I am a PvEr myself) have NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN

Being a mostly PVE'er myself, I can see why the others are maybe a bid disappointed about it not having any PVE content. It is a an expansion after all. Remember how all you PVP'ers have felt during the last year, where you've complained of the lack of PVP updates.

I myself haven't been that much of a PVP'er nor doing that many space quests up til now, because I've had adinterest in either because of operations, I've been more of a storybased player and I don't like being jumped at every five minutes, unless by npc's. I've done wz's, but that pretty much stops after my characters turns level 55, because I'd rather have gear for operations than for wz's. which in my experience doesn't work well together when you mix it.

That being said, a long time ago, in a childhood far far away, I remember when my brother introduced me to the old X-wing and TIE-figher games and how much I loved those. Ever since I started playing this game, I've hoped for someting similar to come to the game, and it seems it will finally happen. So even though I'm a PVE'er and yes, I have hopes for future content with PVE stuff, I AM excited about this upcoming expansion, and it migt mean that I will be more interested in the all the rest of the PVP content of the game, when this finally comes out.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

So let me get this straight.

EA has green lighted an expansion that is free?? That is what I am seeing and hearing.

Now if there is one thing I know, and most likely I am not the only on who knows this, it is that EA like money. So when they relase content that is free, unlike the recent "expansion", I cant help but thinking that it is of very low quality??

And I refuse to belive that they are giving this away for free out of the godness of their hearts. There is no such thing in the world of business.

But that aside, i think it all sounds interesting :-).

EA has green lighted an expansion that is free?? That is what I am seeing and hearing.

Now if there is one thing I know, and most likely I am not the only on who knows this, it is that EA like money. So when they relase content that is free, unlike the recent "expansion", I cant help but thinking that it is of very low quality??

And I refuse to belive that they are giving this away for free out of the godness of their hearts. There is no such thing in the world of business.

Why not? This would not be the first fully F2P competitive multiplayer game out there. Have a look at MWO and WoT, for example.

None of the games in this "genre" are Pay to Play: they all are F2P with major convenience/time/cosmetic upgrades through micro (and not-so-micro) transactions. The model works quite well, so there's no reason why Bioware can't follow suit with a similar concept.

I can easily see Galactic Starfighter as being a mini War Thunder in space, with its main revenue coming from cartel purchases for new ships, new systems, bonus XP/Credits, cosmetic patterns and the likes. And these will no doubt be purchasable through credits as well (well, except maybe cosmetics and XP boosts sort of things, the things that avoid P2W issues, something Bioware has been studiously doing so far).

Remember: F2P does not mean they don't make money from it. I'm sure they've got extensive plans to monetize the system for those of us with more money than time, which is the very core of the F2P formula.

The double-whammy with this system though is that it comes hand-in-hand with a full F2P MMO, which will hopefully bring more people to the "ground" game, and in turn generate even more revenue. Heck, they're already incentivizing subscriptions.

It's all pretty shrewd on their part, if you ask me... and the beauty of it is we STILL get a F2P space combat "sim".

I for one can't wait for December 3rd. :)

Itkovian

Edited by Itkovian

Because free-roam flight should have been in TOR from the start. This was one of the concepts that people have been screaming at BW/EA since Beta began. If they charged people then they would see a brand new fiasco and eventual downgrade to free for all.

So the expansion is free. Let me guess: ship customization stuff is buyable from the market. Maybe even either me3 multiplayer style where you can spend cash or grind until your brain melts to get the stuff you want. Just guessing anyway. There has to be some way they are making money from this, thinks the little cynic in me.

Wake me up when they release the pve-part :)

(Im not saying this is bad...)

Thanks Bioware. :)

However...

It does not change the fact there should be PVE. One because the option should be there in all fairness for those that prefer to challenge tactical scenarios set up by the Creators (tactical situations in which the computer controlled foe also has limited recourses like the players do and not constantly refreshing fighter and cruisers. So that tactical decisions can be made in a scenario whilst we are flying around in some lovely story or even random missions with our friends on our wing.

Two, it should be there since the comparison games that we have been holding up as examples as to why this game did not need a rail shooter... it needed this from the get go all were either fully PVE or were PVE oriented with a PVP OPTION.

Classic PVE (mostly ) games we offered as examples of what 'should exist'

X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Tie fighter versus X-wing

The space combat from Star Wars Galaxies *which I did not get to see but heard was ok.

Wing and Strike Commander

Privateer, Starlancer, Freelancer

And that is just the combat. With their PVE missions with various objectives goals and more then one path and one singular way to accomplish it. Though usually ending with blowing something up it was not necessarily so.

If you wanted full immersion and a real foe reactions to "omg I'm just about dead" one could add in Strike Commander's and the MMO City of Heroes semi realism of a damaged foe saying 'Fudge this sheet!" and trying to escape to fight another day the by literally attempting to leave the combat zone. Which adds a wonderful awesome sense of urgency to any mission that might require "Allow no witnesses or Kill or capture all" Scenarios.

However if added, semi complete missions or even failed results while still moving forward in the story (if any) aught to be allowed for with perhaps objectives such as "no witnesses" being a secondary bonus objective and not effect whether the mission finishes or must be repeated. Indeed I almost wish that such a thing currently existed for the fly by rails mission. It kind of does in that those are usually arbitrary 'destroy x more of this or that" but that lacks the feel of a more personal objective.

Now lets get to the Smuggling and Transport of good, services, Sith artifacts, Alderanian treasures, or just plain fine merchandise that allowing cargo carrying missions and smuggling runs would have brought to the game. Via the examples of Privateer, Freelancer and the possible carrying of illicit goods I did not personally experience with Galaxies... if indeed the game had this.

It is possible they have thought of such scenarios with the PVP but again the fact that is seems to be PVP exclusive if I'm reading you all right and not jumping to conclusions... Is fundamentally wrong headed and excludes people that don't like that level of competiveness and would prefer working with all other players present or solo if no other players present... or solo with a companion as a wingman (ala Wing commander and Strike Commander examples) to get as far as they can in some wonderful story mode we know these Dev's are fully capable of doing.

MIND YOU... Perhaps this is just the beginning? The creation arguably RE-creation of this style of combat system and we will eventually see this new game not just as a PVP game but PVE as well. In time if they are willing and we are Game... not only might it meet but it may beat and excel beyond these wonderful old examples of PVE free flight combat games.

Dear Dev's

Please don't forget some allowance for failure options... I don't know about anyone else but I actually enjoyed the extra skill it took to be flying with that jerk Maniac from wing commander. You didn't get that "joy" at all unless you bombed out on a few starter missions. lol

Peace all

And thanks Dev's for listening.

But, seriously, what makes you think that all of the above, or at least some of it is not in the works already and will be released at a later date. I'm not saying that it is or isn't. Just that chances are high that it is.

Great news. I've been waiting for this since launch. Thank you. The space missions have been fun (I hope this will stay btw), but this really what I hoped for. I really like those bigger battles in pvp, although at times it can be unpractical (with long waiting time) 12 vs 12 seems really cool. Can't wait.