Need the ability to ping the map

BobBudJones

The action is so furious in GSF that unless you're on voice chat (I for one never am), it's virtually impossible to notice if someone types something in chat.

Why can't we ping the map? Seems like it would be easy and harmless to implement. Especially useful would be a League of Legends-type ping where you can indicate different messages, like "Under attack," "On my way," or "Gunship here."

Because you'd have to switch to mouse mode, which means either you're moving predictably or you're crashing.

I'd rather have an in-game voice chat.

You know, failing this maybe some keybinds that would just tell your team, "Enemy incoming to A" or other generic broadcasts. That way you could bind your communications to easy keys and not miss much while flying.

You know, failing this maybe some keybinds that would just tell your team, "Enemy incoming to A" or other generic broadcasts. That way you could bind your communications to easy keys and not miss much while flying.

This ^

This is a more realistic option than VOIP in my opinion. I don't see Bioware adding that any time soon. But I think they could add pre-recorded messages that one could bring up with hot keys. I know some FPS (Wolfenstein, America's Army) games used this. They could also record them with the voice actors for each character.

This should be doable.

One of the first online team games I played, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, featured this. It was in the dark ages before VOIP was a thing. Just a series of short, simple, hot keyed requests and commands in a prerecorded voice should be more than sufficient to let people know where the trouble is. Of course, this could also turn into useless spam but then so could VOIP. Nothing's perfect.

EDIT: Oops, someone already mentioned Wolfenstein! :rolleyes:

Edited by RebekahWSD

Yeah you wouldn't be able to ping of course if you were in the middle of a dogfight, but if you're guarding something or respawning you should have the 3 seconds or so it would take to do it.

Anyway I like the idea of the keybinds with preset messages, that would surely suffice.