Allow SGR to be turned off

s_w_sanders

Actually he was asked several years ago if Luke Skywalker was gay. He replied no.

So wait, let me get this straight.. it's really hard to get my head around.

Because GL said, to negatively answer a direct question about 1 character being gay; whom he had already written in concept to get a wife later on AND is shown to clearly enjoy the positive attention--and kiss--he receives from Leia before he realises she is is his sister, is for you a direct proof there is no homosexuality at all within the Star Wars universe?

So, because I'm not gay, nobody can be gay? That is your reasoning, correct? Ok.. good to know how your mind 'works'.

And to answer your question: There is a no-SGR toggle. It's called "the two non-flirt options when confronted with a character of your own gender.". That's the same as the 'celibate-toggle' that most Jedi should use.

Edited by Devlonir

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karen (the author) confirmed that they're gay. And don't bother arguing that the EU isn't acceptable in an EU game.

Proof: http://www.karentraviss.com/page10/files/Is_it_true_that_some_of_the_Man.html

Can't take a compliment I see. I didn't need your 'link' as proof, I already knew that. I read the entire series a dozen times. You people still haven't gotten back on topic of this thread. I may have to make sure it gets locked now.

And I liked how you had to say Karen (the author)... after I used her last name in my post. Wow, did you really think I didn't know who she is? You get a C for effort, but lack the ability to pay attention. I made a joke out of this thread to see if I could get more people to go off topic and I did just that, and I honestly could care less if the gays get what they want in this game by having same gender relationships. I D G A F

Can't take a compliment I see. I didn't need your 'link' as proof, I already knew that. I read the entire series a dozen times. You people still haven't gotten back on topic of this thread. I may have to make sure it gets locked now.

And I liked how you had to say Karen (the author)... after I used her last name in my post. Wow, did you really think I didn't know who she is? You get a C for effort, but lack the ability to pay attention. I made a joke out of this thread to see if I could get more people to go off topic and I did just that, and I honestly could care less if the gays get what they want in this game by having same gender relationships. I D G A F

You're the one who said they weren't really a couple. I corrected you.

Also if you want SGR so bad, RP that sh*t because I don't want to see it as a choice in a conversation with my own characters

I honestly could care less if the gays get what they want in this game by having same gender relationships. I D G A F

Which is it?

Edited by Caelrie

You're the one who said they weren't really a couple. I corrected you.

You didn't correct me. Again you failed to pay attention. I clearly said that in the series it didn't say that they were gay but that they were partners. She said they were gay after the fact. Like J.K. Rowling saying Dumbledore was gay after Book 7 was released.

Why don't you try getting back to the topic of this thread. SGR toggle...your thoughts?

I still fail to see why it can't just be a "Don't like it, don't click" situation. If there's somebody I don't want to flirt with (e.g. Nadia), I don't flirt with them. There's some sense in which that may curtail some conversational choices in the game in a conversational wheel but that's an argument for more conversational choices not for turning off flirting.

As far as the mere existence of the option being offensive, there are some people that would find the Nadia and Jaesa relationships offensive for reasons of perceived age or power dynamic. But guess what, those users have been skipping the romance option without incident since launch.

The fact is that people are constantly making choices in their personal lives in terms of actions (remember flirting or any action can come from an insincere place--so the question of flirting is separate from the question of preference). In not flirting with a guy, I'm making a choice not to, even if for me making the choice would be done for other reasons than preference. So there's some sense that people always have the choice available. So, if you've successfully chosen not to flirt with a person of the same gender so far, I fail to see how a choice you're never going to make and that you're never going to know the result of is going to ruin your enjoyment of a game. If it does, I fail to see how a toggle is going to fix the situation for you.

As for my argument, which is not what it is; I was stating a FACT, homosexuality doesn't exist in the SW universe because that's how GL wrote it to be. It's his idea, it's his universe. So yes, dumbazz, that's exactly what I based my FACT on.

Note: I didn't edit your post, nice try though:rolleyes:

There were no "openly" gay people in the movies, thats true. But you can hardly be sure about the tons and tons of sidecharacters that have no real story.

Also, if you want to go just by how many of something that are main parts of the plot, then females are extremely rare in GL's world... and so are asians, arabs, black people and so on.

You cant judge an entire universe from what appears in a couple of movies.

If that was the case, then humans of asian appearance cannot become jedi.

Nor can Rodians or Weequays or many other alien species that happened to not be jedi in the movies.

And dont get me started on how many alien races cannot be smugglers since we only see two smugglers in the entirety of the movies, and one is "retired"...

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Unless GL said explicity "there are no gays in star wars" then you cannot rule them out.

As for going back on topic, having an option to turn off gays (because thats what an option to turn off SGR boils down to) is about as appropriate as having an option to turn off people who arent white.

Ie. not appropriate at all.

Bioware's been doing SGR as far back as the original Knights of the Old Republic game that came out ten years ago.

Juhani, the Cathar Jedi Knight, would eventually confess her love to the player character. While in the game it was either male/female, that was a bug and it was supposed to be only if the main character was a lady.

SGR's have been a Bioware mainstay as early as Mass Effect, which came out back in 2007. Every game that they've made since than has had an SGR of some kind.

If it bothers you that much, here's the lesson learned going forward.

Don't buy Bioware.

Edited by Darth_Halford

As for my argument, which is not what it is; I was stating a FACT, homosexuality doesn't exist in the SW universe because that's how GL wrote it to be. It's his idea, it's his universe. So yes, dumbazz, that's exactly what I based my FACT on.

Actually you are not stating fact.. In fact what you are stating is actually irrelevant.. To further put a point on this.. The people playing this game don't exist in star wars either.. They are real people.. Like everyone else, they deserve their views to be represented.. You don't have to agree.. You don't have to like it.. But issues of discrimination against real people (players) is more important than what is or isn't in Star Wars..

I am sure you would feel the same if it was your rights being denied.. :)

Oh spare me the "I'm married to a woman routine." It's overplayed. Your argument about me "claiming" to have gay friends is idiotic. I have gay friends, I bet you don't even know any gay people. I could care less about your experience with racists who claim they have black friends blah blah blah.

George couldn't write a believable romance between any two characters if his life depended on it, regardless of their gender.

I don't understand the argument that says that because you find something morally wrong, it shouldn't be in the game. There are loads of things in the game I find morally wrong; murder, torture, theft, adultery, kidnapping. All these things are in the game.

What is so special about homosexuality that makes you think that the depiction of murder is ok, but homosexuality is not. Do you genuinely believe that homosexuality is worse than murder or torture or kidnapping etc?

ffs your argument would make more sense as a morality based argument if it wasn't so blatantly illogical.

Where did I say once that it SHOULD NOT be in the game? All I was saying is why do people think it NEEDS to be in the game or they seem to think it's discrimination?

Where did I say once that it SHOULD NOT be in the game? All I was saying is why do people think it NEEDS to be in the game or they seem to think it's discrimination?

Ahhh I see. Your cause and effect is somewhat backwards. This isn't a situation where gay people are demanding that something be added to the game out of the blue. The devs promised SGR way back in early beta.

Do you see how that makes it different?

It's a game with no overt sexually explicit scenes shown, only implied.

I have let my teen daughter play the game & am generally more concerned over violence in games than sexuality, whether straight or homosexual in nature, don't really understand the prejudice against SGR romances, its not reality, if your kid is gay they'll be gay regardless of what games they play, I was a fan of many camp comedians over the years, Frankie Howard, John Inman, Larry Grayson, Julian Clarey, Graham Norton, Kenneth Williams, Charles Hautry etc didn't "turn" me gay, nor anyone else, it isn't a choice you are what you are.

Ahhh I see. Your cause and effect is somewhat backwards. This isn't a situation where gay people are demanding that something be added to the game out of the blue. The devs promised SGR way back in early beta.

Do you see how that makes it different?

Even so, they promised alot of things (If I remember correctly, didn't they say they'd implement pazaak or was that just something I heard?). People act as if they're offended that SGR isn't the highest priority.

Even so, they promised alot of things (If I remember correctly, didn't they say they'd implement pazaak or was that just something I heard?). People act as if they're offended that SGR isn't the highest priority.

Getting barely implemented over a year after release makes it the highest priority? Your arguments make less and less sense.

Actually that argument is a fallacy.. I am talking about a T rated video game and the right to flirt.. On the issue of homosexuality, I am talking about consenting adults..

What you are doing is attempting to move the goal post to an argument you feel you can win.. Pedophilia has nothing to do with same sex relations.. Since you didn't appear to do the research, I'll share a fact with you.. Most pedophiles are heterosexual.. So perhaps we should discuss why the OGR's are there.. At least that would to some small degree make your argument apply.. Just saying.. :)

That's why I was trying to clarify whether the way I was using that logic in my head was wrong or not ;)

• Dev Post

Hello everyone,

This post is just a reminder: while we do not want to stifle opinions about including SGRA in the game, it is important that the conversation surrounding this topic remain civil and within the forum rules. As with other threads about this topic that we have had to close lately, replies here have started to become disrespectful and are increasingly about political and moral standpoints rather than the game itself. Please keep this in mind when replying to one another.

For now, we are going to leave this thread open, as most of you are doing a good job of keeping on-topic and respectful. We appreciate your understanding.

:ph_thank_you:

~Amber

So did i, but (with the risk of a banning, but ill take it), apparantly wanting a toggle to turn off "homosexuality" in the game is not offensive or discriminatory.

But comparing it to racism by using racist comments sarcastically, is.

This is forum rules 2.0 I am guessing.. Personally, I thought this thread would be closed down a long time ago.. Like at page 1..

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=608736

I am glad that they are at least letting us discuss this..

Edited by MajikMyst

ya know if you don't want SGR's don't choose the option it's simple.

All the people who worry about it need to grow up. ok so you claim SGR's are immoral. let's just say hypotheticly, I agree with you. the question I pose to you is "so what?" the thing is that this game allows you to make some pretty evil choices already. To use an outright spoiler the Sith warrior

is able to kill a man, sleep with his wife, and make his slave girl watch

ohh and while we're at it, that reminds me, the Sith Warrior's VERY FIRST COMPANION, is a slave. Imperial side characters can in short engage in some pretty vile things. the republic also isn;'t exactly sqweeky clean.

the fact that you allow your children to play this game when you can already make such immoral acts is rediculas. if you don't think your child should flirt with someone of the same gender...

TELL THEM NOT TO. put some responsability in your hands to monitor your child. and your child to "make the correct choice" when the option comes up.

BTW you do realize some of the flirt options with oppisite gender people leads to pre-martial sex. isn't this ALSO "immoral"?

• Dev Post
What the what? I thought we already established that discussing a "toggle" for SRG was offensive and discriminatory.

Amber already came in and talked about cleaning the thread up a bit but I am going to be closing this thread. We are also going to be removing all further threads talking about an SGRA toggle being implemented into the game.

I will personally apologize as this was my error. My hope was that a topic like this could allow for constructive discussion on the inclusion, or lack there of, for SGRA. Unfortunately as we have mentioned previously, including an SGRA toggle is discriminatory and these topics quickly devolve into arguments of the social and moral nature, which have no place on the forums.

This was the statement we made before, which still remains true today:

As a gentle reminder: Discussion of the implementation of toggles to filter same gender romance options is considered discriminatory language and is neither appropriate nor allowed on the forums. Posts along this vein of discussion will be removed.

Thank you for your understanding and I apologize for any offense given by allowing this topic to remain.

-eric

Edited by EricMusco