A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

Actually, if I can ask for the tips on easily recognizing who is who (i.e. tank, DPS, healer) that would be great. I attached myself to a knight for a while, healing the toon while it fought, and it was a better part of it, because it mimicked exactly what I do in PvE with our group. :)

A Guardian or Jugg tank will have this on his buff bar (soresu form, looks exactly like the picture)

A Vanguard and Powertech tank will have this stance (Ion cell).

A shadow tank will have this stance and an assassin tank will have this stance.

So if you see those stances on any of those advanced classes, they're in tank stance.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a dickish question, but how are you going to get better doing pvp once a day? Why not a few hours a day so that you can get actual experience. Don't get me wrong, i think it's great that you are branching out, but you're kind of just a tourist at this point. Dive in. You've already got your feet wet. Might as well get the full experience.

As the 2nd person that committed to a war zone a day, I am not doing it to get good at pvp, not right now. I am doing it to try and give pvp a do over. When I first started playing I was really turned off by the way people were treated, and many times I felt personally disrespected by someone who was sitting behind a keyboard. I couldn't believe the way people that were supposed to be good talked to folks, and not just calling folks out on derp moves but full on crazy *****, stuff that would get you at the very least very hurt and unhappy in the place I spent many years of my life. Even after that, I still tried to play and thought well, I will just have to let it go. This is on the pub side of my server. We also lost all the time. It was when I made an imperial toon I found out why. These guys had *teamwork*, real advice, they worked together, things were actually said in chat that were about the game, instructions, and we steam rolled almost every time I played over there. Sadly, my friends were all on the pub side and it was endgame I wanted, so I left pvp, and never looked back.

That's why I am doing this, to give an aspect of the game that could be really fun a new chance, with a new class, and the mindset of taking it slow and seeing if I can get into it. Also I don't have a few hours a day to commit.

On the flip side, it's rare to see someone who wants to improve.

I have'nt seen it since that GeorgeMattinson guy (mis-spelled name probably)

Do you think that may be largely because of the preconceived notion that all PvPers are jackholes who will rip you a new one? I truly believe most of peoples hang ups with PvP come from the numerous stereotypes that surround it. I've met some of the best people and players in PvP. I probably haven't run into quite as many jackholes in PvE as I have PvP, but that's because most of my PvP is with 6-7 random players and most PvE is with players I already know.

Anyway...I'm thrilled the OP started this thread. I think it takes a helluva player to ask for help or admit that he's trying something he doesn't know much about.

I printed out the Guide referred to, and it has links to the specific warzones.

I am travelling on business tomorrow, so will have ample time to view the vids to understand the happenings in each zone & objectives. It is hard to explain the going-ons in words. Between the huge play-style difference, lingo and the objectives/obstacles of the zone vids are probably superior. Tell me, and I will forget; show me, and I will remember; involve me, and I will learn.

A PVP A DAY-

DAY-2

MATCH-#1

TOON- San'dari

LEVEL 52 SCOUNDREL (Not augmented lvl 50 campaign gear 4pc. set bonus, rating 146, left side looking bad also)

OK, i got the one for today out of the way early today. It was an AHG, and I was back-fill. Our group comp was all dps and one healer (me). I'm not sure who we lost or why, I didn't ask or even have time to say my usual "Hey I'm new to pvp but I will do my best" statement. I popped into stealth and ran to middle cause in chat the lead was saying people needed to grab the damn orbs and forget the death-matching. We were behind by quite a bit. As I got mid a guy close to me was getting burst so I threw kolto cloud and a UW medicine. I then started to srmp the folks by me when they must have noticed I was a healer, cause the two closest imps to me peeled (?) and started to focus me. Two jugs. Inb4 usually I'm a fan of two juggs. I tried to scamper away after kolto cloud on myself and got stuck and killed before I could break the stun and stealth out.

I won't give a play by play but here is a couple things I was unclear about. The other team had me marked I'm sure, as I was targeted pretty fast when ever I'd pop up, even in chat the leader said "man they are focusing the healer pretty hard". Now we didn't have a tank, so what was a reasonable expectation for my group, cause I received what seemed like no help at all. Now my heals for the match were about 200k, but numbers on a scoreboard, from what I've red here don't paint an accurate picture of my overall contribution to the group.

This brings me to my second question. As the matches only healer, was I right to stay mid when everyone in the match was either mid themselves or at our node guarding or dropping off orbs? Also while I was mid, I did a bit of off dpsing. I threw a xs-fly by on imps grabbing orbs to interrupt them, threw some grenades, and some charged blasts. Also some flash-bangs. Should I shy away from that? Should I have grabbed an orb to run to my node?

Also, I know pvp is on the move, and only a terrible enemy team will let me just free cast. But it seems I have to set up shop sometimes to throw my big heals, but like I said this group had me focused pretty much every time I showed my face, so should I be focusing on my hots and try to stay on the move, only stopping to do my casted heals every once and awhile. For some reason that does not seem right to me, as I have to focus on more then one person and most of them seem to be in need of big heals if I am just getting there from spawn or something. Yes I back-load heals and have key-binds but kudos to you dudes that can do the whole mouse running/turning thing, cause that ***** is hard. I will be trying to incorporate that into stuff as time goes on.

I'm sorry for the wall of text, but people seem to like this thread, and the op and I are the only two committed to "A pvp a day" so I figured since we're gonna report back every day, might as well give the community something to critique. That way we can receive advice and tips along our reports and we can see how long we can keep this thread going, and gauge the progress the both of us are making. Like an experiment. Anyway that's all for me, my son's cranky and wants his nap NOW!!

Edited by jrwellworth
forgot to add

Hypregate has not many strategies and like ALL warzone first of all you need to understand if ur team is stronger or weaker then the opposite team

there will be a lot of player set up amazing strategies but in reality there is never 1 strategy to rule them all... and they all relay on what the enemy is about to do and how strong he is.

to make it short (i may later on write some guide to each specific warzone) if your team is weaker the only way you can win is IF the enemy do a mistake, Voidtar and Hypergate due to gather the fight in a specific location (rather then divide the fight in 3 location) are definitely the hardest to win if outgunned/outhealed and relay mostly on enemy mistakes

hutball old+new = you can win totally based on strategy

(Victory: Stronger team 50% - Weaker team 50%)

civil war+novare = you can win with a good strategy even if outgunned is hard but u can do it

(Victory: Stronger team 65% - Weaker team 35%)

hypergate+voidstar = if outgunned/outhelaer you will win ONLY if enemy do a mistake I admit that in pug vs pug mistake are made in huge quantity and on daily bases... so you can actually win those even if weaker more often then my percentage (below) but... theoretically speaking those are bound to be an easy win for the stronger team

(Victory: stronger team 90% - Weaker team 10%)

in your case u got hypergate and u were definitely outgunned not much u could do other then pray in a mistake or if in a team with a really good strategist push the enemy toward a mistake... but a good enemy wont fall for it and you will just lose take it and try again ^_^

in your case as scouldrel u can help another stealth class to provoke that mistake to happen (stealing other team pylon) but again to succesfully pull it off you need to be very lucky or very expert syncronizing stun and magistrally use interrupt and movement and again some enemy just don't make mistakes...

Edited by Pekish

I printed out the Guide referred to, and it has links to the specific warzones.

I am travelling on business tomorrow, so will have ample time to view the vids to understand the happenings in each zone & objectives. It is hard to explain the going-ons in words. Between the huge play-style difference, lingo and the objectives/obstacles of the zone vids are probably superior. Tell me, and I will forget; show me, and I will remember; involve me, and I will learn.

What server do you run on? Given your attitude, and your (I assume) maturity I'd be happy to run matches with you.

Do you think that may be largely because of the preconceived notion that all PvPers are jackholes who will rip you a new one?

I think it's because of the PvE carebear mentality. People play PvP against other real live people, get beat, and think they were sposed to get participation trophies, think that they should be able to learn a script, think that it's not fair for "the boss" to be harder or have different mechanics each time. I liken PvP to a PvE boss fight - for a full 15 minutes, every time you enter a warzone, with random mechanics that you need to learn on the fly. Many can't handle the stress.

This makes people rage, and wail against a wall. "PvP is stupid, this is why. Blah blah OP Nerf Exploit Hacks". Nobody's willing to admit their own shortcomings...

Except for this guy apparently.

pve = 100% you win at worst you need to try again but when...ever you feel you lose in pve?

even when u cannot finish an operation you still kill some actually... most of them and still get decent crap home, you never feel you lost!

pvp = 50% win 50% lose and in some case for new players is more like 90% of the time they lose!

it's not about beeing carebear or not is about game are made for fun and fun include a good chunck of "win" u can have fun loosing sometimes but NOT 90% of the times

PVP will never be popular like pve becaus

if 2 player player PVE they both win

if 2 player play PVP 1 win the other lose make no mistake 1 will have to lose

and players are not investing "Free" time in order to lose 50% of the time let alone 60-70-80-90%...

have you ever wonder why the name that stick around the longest in a PVP game are the "pro" because they are capable to lower the % of losing to a 20%-30% that give the required gratification to stick to the game

PVP is bound to fail unless devs find a way to make "losing" fun and rewarding and "winning" more and more challenging instead of more and more easy... how? I could write a book about how there are millions of ways but none would spend 1$ to try something new.

and don't lie yourself is not impossible you just didn't see it before... the trick part is to keep player balanced 1vs1 BUT increase the challenge to the winner...

what if the stronger u are the higher is your rank the smaller is ur team compared to the enemy team in that specific warzone... and the bigger the reward if you are succesfull but lowering ur percentage of victory from 90% to a 50%... rebalancing the game..

what if the stronger u are the higher is your rank the un-even the map advantage is but same number of player in team.... again is not only all about number a 8vs8 can be as hard as a 4vs8 if the location the geography of the map has odds against you

what if the stronger you are the higher is ur rank the score lvl to assign a victory is changed to favor the weaker or there are more way different way special way for the weaker to increase his score and more objective to guard for the stronger....

and so on really. In real sport the understood handicap are required to balance difference skill player playing together MMO is just a bunch of sheep copying eachohter none of them can be called a real DEV

Edited by Pekish

Stop trying to focus on everything that's happening. It can be stressfull and overwhelming if you're not natural at blocking out the unimportant information.

Just plan on doing one thing, the whole warzone, and close your chatbox. Just do your thing. Maybe focus on a healer (use target marker). Or just stop caps on the node. Or just focus on healing teammates. Once you're over the fear of screwing up, incorporate another thing, and do both. Maybe healing, and stop capping. Or maybe dps the enemy healer, and cap the node.

Once you've worked up to being able to contribute, re-open your chatbox. Wait until you know that your input to the warzone was beneficial. Did you stop a cap? Did you cap the node that led to the win? Did you kill the healer? Did you kill the dps that was burning your healer?

DO NOT OPEN YOUR CHATBOX BEFORE THIS. You'll just get flamed and probably want to quit.

It's PUG pvp...nobody has the right to whine about others. They still will though, and your enemies will talk trash. So will your teammates, because they're also AFRAID OF LOSING and want to blame someone else.

Don't be their somebody else.

Could this explain why communication so terrible during warzones :mon_trap:

Yes @ interrupt orb takers

Yes @ support the middle - like... stay with the players that support you the most

No @ nodeguard - you'll get left there and be the most valuable part of the team stuck at a node. As a heal: you need to be with the ones getting hurt.

Depends @ supporting a node: If your team has two pillars: DEFEND THEM at all cost. A retap is a huge boost for the enemy.Obviously defending your only node or retaking a node has Prio #1

Depends @grab the orb 1-2 times if your team is winning and/or if you are not the only heal anyways. Gets you 3 medals (offensive) and helps win in maybe 3 iterations.

And keep it up and don't get frustrated too quickly - there are days where I think my class is broken... mostly when hitting 3-4 premades in a row... gnnnh. Or these wonderful 2heals+2skankheals vs... no heal warzones.

Jrwellworth – thank you for sharing – and yes, I found hypergate tough to understand as well. Thank you for asking the questions! As a Sage, I have an easier time squeezing off heals and moving, but am squishier and not stealthy :) Do you have Hanker down as a Scoundrel? That iirc prevents mind controls. And, as a working healer, you sure to get a lot of attention. Feel the love!

To answer the questions – I have an 11-char legacy on Harbinger, and 1 character on Progenitor, and of course am open to grouping :)

I am humble as far as my playing abilities go, so derogatory comments and low scores never bothered me in the first place (not that I saw any). What did was the chaos of the Warzones. I am also that gal who hates to answer an H4+ call and find her ShieldTech grouped with 1 Jugg, 2 Maras, no Heals, and a faceroll for a strategy. Lol.

Anyway, the PvP today!

10 July 2014

The loads were sluggish, so instead of switching server to catch up to my friends on Progenitor (I need 3 levels, yakes!) I just kept staying in the WZ queue with my Healer Sage. In ~ 1 hr 20 min I did 4 WZs, back to back (between 4:15 and 5:30 am, so I was playing with Asia-Pacific there).

Huttball: Uh-huh. I have an impression that this is no venue for a Sage. Died, died, stunned and died. Last place, lol. We lost 6:2, still have no idea how the field is configured. Heh.

Voidstar: Ah, yes, felt happy to see it pop. We’ve lost, 2:6, but I actualy managed to achieve one objective. Diffused a bomb – FA helped, and a stealthy smug covered for me – all wrong, but in a pinch, who cares. Thanks & love, whoever you are :)

Makeb Arena: Oh, that one was actually awesome. No other way but to play as a team, I puged with some totally powerful guys, and we won 2:0, AND I was in a Healer’s Paradise for the second round, hiding behind the box and healing at will. More than made up for the Huttball. Placement: 5th out of 8.

Hypergate: We did win. No thanks to me. Just ninja heals and incapable of getting to the safe zone if my life depended on it. Wait! It did! So, died. 4 or 5 times, I think. Placement was my usual 5th ot 6th from the bottom.

The result overall: 2000+ WZ Comms! You gotta be kidding me, right?! Between the daily and the weekly, and the back to back pings… That’s 50 plan comms, so my Sage was suddenly able to afford that orange focus, and will probably have most of her gear purple Makeb. Every character approaching the magic 50 should do it. Seriously.

Need to work on: Targeting, targeting and more targeting (the tab key is there for a reason, girl!). Better with applying FA and HoTs at the quiet times. Managed to squeeze off a couple of stuns and actually run away from melee folks (need to do that more often, lol). Just because he attacks you, doesn't mean you have to defend. Better part of valor! I also need to locate that useful ability that would grant me respite from mind controls.

Edited by DomiSotto

Huttball: Uh-huh. I have an impression that this is no venue for a Sage. Died, died, stunned and died. Last place, lol. We lost 6:2, still have no idea how the field is configured. Heh.

Just remember everyone's most powerful ability in huttpall is the pass the ball skill. Passing the ball to teammates who have gotten ahead of fire/acid traps or who are in position to score. If you don't have the ball, move ahead and get open for a pass. As a sorc/sage you also have an ally pull, so don't be shy about pulling the ballcarrier over obstacles and away from the enemy team.

Edited by Ridickilis

Yeah, I haven't even seen the ball :) Basically, all I was trying to do was walk the rafters and see what connects were for the next time. I tried to follow a couple of players, but I lost them quickly. Just watched a vid with a full HB match, and I still think it is going to be the hardest.

Hypergate on another hand, after looking at the Enmity Circle guide is far more clear.

Sage's have one of the best abilities in the game for Hutt Ball, rescue. It takes some practice to get the hang of timing and positioning to use it well but it can be a match winner. For example if a teammate ball carrier is getting snared and pummeled coming down the ramps to the endzone, force speed to the endzone and pull them across the goal line. Or get on the goal side of a fire trap on a catwalk and pull the ball carrier away from the red horde, and throw them cleanse, heal, bubble. Use knockback to punt following reds into the pit.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Yo Domi, I believe it is force of will, the consular CC break your looking for. Funny that I have played a shadow tank for two years and I'm not even sure that that's the right answer, lol. Though there is a whole lot of information on how and when to use your CC break, so maybe someone can share that, though I guess your supposed to wait till your resolve bar is full. I feel like such a tard right now, but I need someone to direct me to my resolve bar. I found where in pref. I can turn on the resolve bar of others, does that turn on mine also? Usually have all friendly nameplates turned off to give my poor hamsters a break, but how do I make it so I can see mine. I felt really dumb for awhile, everyone talking about their white bar, with no idea, cause I'm not seeing one. Also, way to go on the 4 matches, I'll have to do more then one today, I'd really really like to ding 55 before this event is over, as I am maxed on WZ comms, and will spend them on relics when I ding, but i'd like to start collecting gear as well, and everyone says this event is good for that, what with 2x the rewards. I will probably post my own report this afternoon or this evening, depending heavily on my son and how much ***** he want's to break, and how willing he is to take a nap. Carry on.

Usually have all friendly nameplates turned off to give my poor hamsters a break, but how do I make it so I can see mine. I felt really dumb for awhile, everyone talking about their white bar, with no idea, cause I'm not seeing one.

Ahh, I see. Your resolve bar isn't on top of your toon where the nameplate/guild/legacy name are at, it's around your toon's avatar/portrait. If you're on a pve server or unflagged on fleet or something you won't see it. It will only show when in a pvp zone or out in the open on a pvp server. Conversely your opponent's resolve bar is around their avy, so when you have someone targeted you can see if they have full resolve before using your CC's on them.

And yes, ideally it's best to save your CC break until the bar turns white. There are some instances when it's okay to use it early but general rule is save it for when you get a full bar.

Edited by Ridickilis

I could start with hutball if you wish as sage you are the 3th most successful class in there, it's really the play you want to be! (shadow/scoundrel/sage)

As someone mentioned you have the friendly pull that is... well... awesome!!!!!! plus u have decent bubble and force speed! But your job is tricky you need to be sneaky without having any invisibility

At first EVERYBODY will run to the ball and ranged will just position themselves in a high area... if you are a squishy healer BUT you have friendly pull maybe you DON'T WANT to stay near ball because is where everybody will be or will shoot! (and you will die faster then u can heal = useless)

you will want to take a secondary hidden road (try to be unnoticeable don't shoot anybody use force speed walk BEHIND people not in front...) and place yourself behind the sniper vision area ready to PULL the guy that will be struggling with the ball...

if that area is too HOT (too many sniper or they spotted you) your job is to go waaaayyyy BEHIND enemy line at their score area (you are not invisible so don't rush there 5 minutes in advance keep yourself wondering "near by" trying to avoid eyes contact) and once u are there communicate in chat that u are in position so the guy with the ball will run to you and you will be able to pull him up...

remember he may decide (if his HP is too low) to pass the ball instead of let you pull him up.... so get read with bubble and force speed to cover those last few meters

On the other hand if you feel comfortable and sturdy enough to heal ball carrier you can still accompany him but again not from "behind" like other healer would do you have pull! go 10/20 meter ahead don't stay in AOE range of people that will shoot at the ball carrier and be ready to PULL him when needed... pulling him out of an hot situation is better then 1000 heals!

Those are the basics tactic many and have to vary often but what make YOU special as sage in hutball something that NOBODY else can do is pull so base ALL your play-style on what is unique about you.

true enough doing this you will get really little medals :( but you will probably make ur team win you can be the difference between winning and losing in hutball... many time in hutball i am a carrier and the sage is the reason why we won.

Edited by Pekish