Why do people hate Quinn?

Alterkai

Actually, in thinking about this... you know when the best time for Quinn to have betrayed you would be? The Chapter 2-3 transition when Baras's minion tries to get you killed in the cave-in. Had that been Quinn it would've made slightly more sense, especially because "burying alive" feels like a much more valid way for an Imperial officer to try and kill a Sith Lord.

But he does it after you leave Voss. There's about ten minutes left in the story when he does it. The timing is utterly nonsensical.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also two things: incredibly callous and incredibly stupid.

Incredibly callous: If your SW is male, Quinn just threw away more than two years of loyal service that was apparently never loyal. If your SW is female, Quinn (probably) just threw away more than two years of relationship that was apparently a lie the whole time. If a female Warrior romances Quinn, the betrayal thus basically makes him a sociopath.

More than that, even - the story up through SoR take about 6 years. By the time you're at the end of Chapter 3 of the original class story it's probably safe to say you're probably close to five years in, assuming that Hutt and SoR take one more year before the player gets their carbonite nap. It's a lot to throw away.

I understand Quinn threw his loyalty in with the person he wanted to - my frustration was simply not being able to kill or remove him afterward. No way my SW would trust him to be around her, or her crew, after that (and no, my female SW had no interest in romancing him).

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I hate Quinn because he necessarily represents a moronic plot direction at his expense taken by the writers. How he went about that betrayal and how it was resolved was some of the worst writing in any Bioware game prior to KOTFE :p

Exactly so. He was forced to betray you, but his plot was so laughably easy to defeat that a smart officer like him surely knew it would never work. Suicide by Sith is my take on it - he hoped you'd kill him fast so Baras couldn't punish him for failing.

More than that, even - the story up through SoR take about 6 years. By the time you're at the end of Chapter 3 of the original class story it's probably safe to say you're probably close to five years in, assuming that Hutt and SoR take one more year before the player gets their carbonite nap. It's a lot to throw away.

I understand Quinn threw his loyalty in with the person he wanted to - my frustration was simply not being able to kill or remove him afterward. No way my SW would trust him to be around her, or her crew, after that (and no, my female SW had no interest in romancing him).

It's actually quite evenly paced. Each sort of story "block" is around a year. Doesn't feel like it, but it's what's there:

http://orig00.deviantart.net/005d/f/2015/012/3/f/swtor_story_progression__planets_and_flashpoints_by_dreamingeisha-d6wwupy.jpg

Also fun fact: in beta we could kill Quinn. But remember what Quinn's pre-KOTFE role was? He was the healer for Warriors! So you have either a tanky Jugg or a particularly squishy DPS marauder, neither of which with much sustain in a fight. People got crazy butthurt over killing their healer (back when end-story fights like Baras were HARD), so they removed the option to kill him (and a couple of other companions on other characters). That's why our options are 1) LS: Forgive 2) DS: Choke 3) DS: Choke... again.

Edited by Diviciacus

It's actually quite evenly paced. Each sort of story "block" is around a year. Doesn't feel like it, but it's what's there:

http://orig00.deviantart.net/005d/f/2015/012/3/f/swtor_story_progression__planets_and_flashpoints_by_dreamingeisha-d6wwupy.jpg

Also fun fact: in beta we could kill Quinn. But remember what Quinn's pre-KOTFE role was? He was the healer for Warriors! So you have either a tanky Jugg or a particularly squishy DPS marauder, neither of which with much sustain in a fight. People got crazy butthurt over killing their healer (back when end-story fights like Baras were HARD), so they removed the option to kill him (and a couple of other companions on other characters). That's why our options are 1) LS: Forgive 2) DS: Choke 3) DS: Choke... again.

Eh, my bad. It's 6 years to KOTFE, and I hadn't realized the expansions took so much time.

I knew about the killing Quinn in beta thing - I think it's mentioned above. From what I heard people didn't understand that they actually *were* killing Quinn and losing their only healer and got upset, yes. When they changed the companions to versatile roles that problem was solved, but I guess they didn't want to revise the class stories at that point. I literally did not use Quinn even once during the class stories, so if they'd given me the option to 86 him, I certainly would have taken it, happily.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Because the game forces you to accept him and go on acting like nothing happened even if you are playing a character for whom that is hugely OOC. I would in fact argue that it makes most of them OOC. Forgot still treating him like a trustworthy friend, the act of not at least firing the guy after you spare him and reassigning him to digging outhouses on Hoth already qualifies you for sainthood. I would dare wager that not even most lightside warriors are double saints that regularly let such betrayal go completely unpunished.

Its the same reason I hate Skadge and took a long while to warm up to Gault despite generally liking characters like him. I have never played a single character that would accept that stupid thug Skadge bullying his way onto my ship and a permanent crew position like that if I had an actual say and Gault really screwed up my run as a Bounty Hunter that was honorable and never reneged on a contract once agreed to.

The Iokath expansion didn't come out until YEARS after the original story...in the original class story there's like one reference to the betrayal and then it goes on like nothing happened. I'm glad to hear there's a breakup option from the commenter below- but the SW is still forced to keep Quinn on the ship.

Quinn doesn't even know how deranged the Moff is until later...until after he's spent about six conversations going on about him. Add that to his elitism and inability to get along with anyone in the crew, and his constant self-promotion...nope. Everyone else on that ship is way more proactive in promoting the Empire's needs. Quinn spends the entire story on his personal vendetta, and then betrayed the SW, and then expected everything to go back to normal.

I couldn't stand him. Not on Balmorra; certainly not later. After the betrayal, when I couldn't kill him, I chose the most Dark Side option and then put a full-face mask on him so I didn't have to look at him on the ship anymore. I pretended he was just a maintenance cyborg.

To be fair, he is a perfect product of the Sith Empire : an Empire that promote eugenism and strength (that often comes with higher ranks), I find him far more in universe than a lot of other companions. For this alone, I'm happy to have him. However, I do agree that the lack of execution option is infuriating... even with my female Warrior who romanced him, his neck would have snapped (a quick death, out of love).

I would be more ok with the option if you actually could romance Pierce afterwards, not just a 1 night stand thing. As it is, I paced the companion conversations so I timed my SW's "get-together" with Pierce immediately after Quinns betrayal.

And, although my SW is Dark 5, she still spared Quinn on Iokath. Reasons why?

1. She is still loyal to Sith Empire (although she has the "alliance" - and feels he is going to be useful in the fight against the Republic. (basically using him the same way Palpatine used Tarkin)

2. In their personal life - she won't let him forget his betrayal - and she will take the opportunity to flout her relationship with Pierce in his face (which, in my "head-canon" - even though there is no story dialogue for it continuing - has continued, and, long ago, freed Vette of her collar - but she kept it, and uses it on Quinn ;-) - (although not in front of the others - would be bad for morale to let him wear it where republic soldiers could see him debased in this manner. After all, they wouldn't be intimidated by their enemy if they perceived him as weak. :D

i don't hate quinn, infact he is one of the more interesting characters, he has his own plans and he uses others to get to that point.

Baras = A way around Moff Broysc and his lunacy as well as the demotion and eventually promotion to Captain.

Warrior = A way of reviving his career as a front line captain with bags of experience on the empires enemies, this in turn makes him very valuable to the military. Also to repay Baras for his commission to captain and eventual betrayal of the warrior. However despite the new found loyalty in the warrior he disobeyed the imperial military with yet another betrayal.

Acina = A way to get around Imperial imprisonment for failure to heed to his superiors to give up on the warrior as well as another promotion.

Of course he has that typical imperial military personality, strong leader in his own right, cocky and brave however when a sith is around he goes all weak in the knees pledging himself to keep himself from being killed and making sure he doesn't screw up.

Edited by Celise

• 4 weeks later...
He sits on my bridge in his underwear. That's where he stays and belongs. We refer to him on my ship as Captain Underpants. I was appalled that I could not choke the life from him. Make him a trusted member of my crew again? Never.

He sits on my bridge in his underwear. That's where he stays and belongs. We refer to him on my ship as Captain Underpants. I was appalled that I could not choke the life from him. Make him a trusted member of my crew again? Never.

In mine, he's been injured so badly by my SW that he's needed to become a cyborg, and i have the worst cyborg-ish armor I can find for him. :) His weapon is gone. And as far as my SW is concerned he's dead to her and the rest of the crew shuns him and watches him like a hawk.

It still frustrates the heck out of me that I couldn't kill him on the spot. Better late than never with Iokath, I suppose.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I could hate him for one line he said on Rishi about slavery being acceptable as long as it's "good" condition to slaves like NO that's not... ugh.

I still don't though, have to shrug that one line off to writers thinking you MUST be a DS sith who still has shock collar on Vette while there's no chance even that stuck up Quinn managed to live on a ship with a LS sith and their former slave friend and not rethink his stance on slavery.

I never really hated Quinn, I didn't care for his betrayal either. But as others have said, it was annoying not to be able to do anything about him betraying you other than flinging him across the room a bit. I never got to Iokath with my wrath, but I don't think I'll be killing him.

WHY I HATE QUINN, because he betrayed me, you know that.

See back during the main story line one of my Warriors let Quinn redeem his self in the Warriors eyes, i helped him get his revenge on his old boss made him think over time, that i for gave him and maybe, perhaps even for gotten, the betrayal.

In comes Iokath and the return of Quinn, My Warrior was like, 'holy space debris' its Quinn, (light bulb goes off in Warriors head) ' :mad: HOLY MEATBAG IN SPACE) I'll get another chance. Is what he thought.

So the time was right: Greetings was met with admiration between 2 old friends/ish people. Or at least one of them thought all bad things had come to pass. Until, Quinn heard a low roaring, rumble in the air around him. And saw the vary dust in the air floating thru the beam of intense lighting in the room just stop. And like some one turned on a vacuum all the air and dust was sucked out around the face and head and only to Quinn did he hear a defining sonic blast like noise, that ruptured his inner eardrum.

The Warrior just stands there looking at Quinn, threw his red glowing eyes. Little sparks of flames bursting around the corners of them. His stare meets Quinn's literal blood soaked eyes, as Quinn scream in pain holding his head with blood protruding threw his ear canals and over his fingers. The Warriors raises his hand and the roar in the air, the rumbling of the furnishings in the room increases louder and louder. Finally the rumbling intensifies too defining proportions and still Quinn manages to scream out?

WHYYY, WHY are you doing this? as blood streams out his mouth and nose. You know why? The Warrior replies.

Quinn is now on his knees, looking up at the Warrior:

But we were friends, i thought, i mean you helped me get my revenge, We were Friends, Damn it! DAMN YOU!! Quinn cries out in agony. YOU'LL REGRET THIS!!!!

Warrior raises his hand and Quinn flies off the ground and into the air.

Warrior Roars at Quinn. LOOK AT ME!!!

Quinn Raises his limp bloody head up and opens his blood soaked eyes to see and with what hearing he has left, he hears?

A smug smirk over comes the face of the Warrior, then it turns to pure Anger.

Warrior: Friends! You Thought WRONG! I REGRET NOTHING!!!

at that same time he clinches his hand into a fist, A loud snap echos through out the room and Quinn's Neck is crushed, blood shoots from every orifice of his skull, even ejecting one of his eyes out of it's socket. The Warrior relaxes his force grip and Quinn's lifeless corpse falls out of the air, crashing down to the floor. The room goes eerily silent.

The Warrior takes a deep Breath and sighs, like a huge burden has finally been removed from his shoulders. He thinks and relishes in that surprise look on Quinn's face. (But i thought we were friends look) 'Classic', the Warrior thought.

THE END......... of Quinn the betrayer......

Ok OK OK i know none of that happen, just a box popped up kill dont kill or what ever it said and i picked kill. I just wish it went down the way it did in my short story. Oh well a Warrior can dream. lol

Take Care and Be Well......

Edited by Sith-Viscera
i cant spell for crap reason. lol

Hi guys, I am a big fan of warrior story, i just want to know why so many people hate Quinn in the story. I have played the war at iokath twice and in each one my dark side warrior spared Quinn.

For me Quinn's betrayal is understandable, he is a solider and solider pays his debts, Baras saved him from that retarded moff broysc. Quinn owns Baras his life. He also expresses his conflict and emotions when he betrays warrior, i believe deep inside Quinn never wants to betray warrior, he just have to pick one that is more important for the survival of the Empire.:(:o

I don't remember the exact timeline, but wasn't SW emperor's wrath by then? It's technically a high treason against the emperor and empire.

Otherwise I agree with you. He is a loyal person,except that his loyalty has already been reserved by somone else and I saw it coming really, as sith are treacherous and Baras basically forced us to take on our team a loyal man who owes him his life and career. I knew he was Baras' eyes, ears and possibly his hand. (Bioware FTW for writing this story and character.)

People failed to pay attention to all this and got angry over what they think he owed them, without realizing he already owed more to someone else.

btw Moff Broysc is crazy AF :rak_04:

Edited by Johrun

Well for my warrior, Quinn betrayed her twice. First as her husband (when you could marry him before he betrays you) to Darth Baras, then a 2nd time with Acina. Even if she could have let it go for the Baras betrayal, he proved that he hasn't changed by doing it again for Acina. I think he is arrogant and two-faced.

I don't remember the exact timeline, but wasn't SW emperor's wrath by then? It's technically a high treason against the emperor and empire.

Otherwise I agree with you. He is a loyal person,except that his loyalty has already been reserved by somone else and I saw it coming really, as sith are treacherous and Baras basically forced us to take on our team a loyal man who owes him his life and career. I knew he was Baras' eyes, ears and possibly his hand. (Bioware FTW for writing this story and character.)

People failed to pay attention to all this and got angry over what they think he owed them, without realizing he already owed more to someone else.

btw Moff Broysc is crazy AF :rak_04:

Sortakinda. At that point in the game, the SW is recognized by the Emperor's Hand as the Wrath, but hasn't been before the Dark Council yet...so it's not exactly official and the Dark Council members don't recognize them. It's before Corelia, so they don't even have Darth Vowrawn in their corner yet as a Dark Council sponsor.

And at the same time, Darth Baras is claiming he's the Emperor's Voice. So Quinn could have argued he was helping defeat a pretender.

I hate Quinn, but I agree with you, it was hard not to see it coming. Right before he meets the SW he's threatening someone, he's a kiss-up to the point of ridiculousness, the rest of the crew hates him, and he's got a connection to Baras. Baras has told you that he has spies everywhere. Quinn is totally into himself, and his advancement in the Empire. Yeah, it doesn't take a hit with the cluebat to get that he is a Baras spy. To be honest I halfway thought something was going to happen after Moff Broysc; that he was going to turn on the SW then and accuse them of Broysc's murder.

Quinn knows that Darth Baras was undermining the Emperor. He doesn't care. He supports Baras over the Emperor because he believes compared to Darth Baras, "The Emperor is an absentee landlord."

"absentee landlord" hey if the Landlord is away that means free rent and partying time for ya.... so shhhhh i wont tell if u dont....

I think people forget, he's actually keeping his original loyalty when he "betrays" you.

Quinn was sent onto the Warrior's ship to be a spy. A spy's loyalty isn't to those he's PRETENDING to be loyal to, but rather to those who sent him to spy.

If he took up total loyalty to the Warrior, he then would've been betraying Baras. He's just a spy who got caught in a war between two Sith's which means he was screwed from the start. His only real hope would be the Warrior was weak, which he learns quickly enough the Warrior isn't. Baras isn't weak either.

For Quinn it was all lose lose. Imagine if he came forward to the Warrior before the betrayal reveal and revealed himself to be a spy sent by Baras.

You'd still feel betrayed. He'd still be a traitor. If he betrayed his original Master, what's to keep the Warrior from thinking, "He'll never betray me."

That's like expecting a cheater to never cheat. Once a cheater always a cheater.

Quinn at least stayed loyal to his original Master until the original Master ended it. It's really the only way he comes out of it as still being loyal, even if players/warriors don't want to see it that way.

I got the sense that Quinn wasn't really privy to Baras' endgame or the extent of his machinations. He may have joined the crew earnestly wanting to serve the Warrior, but once the betrayal happened and Draahg failed to finish the Warrior off, Baras realized he still had a loyal agent on the inside. Edited by OldVengeance

I think people forget, he's actually keeping his original loyalty when he "betrays" you.

Quinn was sent onto the Warrior's ship to be a spy. A spy's loyalty isn't to those he's PRETENDING to be loyal to, but rather to those who sent him to spy.

You'd still feel betrayed. He'd still be a traitor. If he betrayed his original Master, what's to keep the Warrior from thinking, "He'll never betray me."

That's like expecting a cheater to never cheat. Once a cheater always a cheater.

Quinn at least stayed loyal to his original Master until the original Master ended it. It's really the only way he comes out of it as still being loyal, even if players/warriors don't want to see it that way.

Keep in mind also that female warriors may romance and marry Quinn. This literally makes him a sociopath. To serve Baras, he was willing to PRETEND to love you. For years. PRETEND to want to sleep with you. For years. PRETEND to want a marriage. For years. Actually GO THROUGH WITH THAT MARRIAGE. For THREE *********** YEARS. Before he betrays you.

There is no redemption from that. Nada.

I have no godsdamned clue how any woman could think he's worth anything other than being crucified and set on fire, but SOMEHOW he's got a huge fanbase amongst the ladies as evidenced by that... other thread. With six thousand replies. Are people that naive or are they somehow able to compartmentalize that Quinn is an utter monster just because he's got a sexy accent?

Edited by Diviciacus