Question of the Day 4/15/2013

CourtneyWoods

Why did you choose your class in The Old Republic?

Personal Answer: Before launch, I kept changing my mind on which Class I wanted to play - first it was an Inquisitor, then Consular, and then I was set on playing a Bounty Hunter. Then in Beta, I heard how good the Agent story is and I like ranged DPS so I decided to give Sniper a try and absolutely loved it. Thus my Main was born. TL;DR: Agent for story and ranged dps.

Edited by CourtneyWoods

I chose Jedi Guardian, for a couple reasons.

1. To me, true Star Wars immersion is being a Jedi. Everything centers around that for me. :)

2. I wanted to be a tank, I wanted to wield one single-bladed lightsaber. That kind of narrowed down the choice for me.

It just happened to work out that the Jedi Knight story was FANTASTIC!

I wanted a jedi, that was without a question. In KotOR I always played sentinel, I like the middle ground style. Who uses it's head, not only for headbutts, but not the wise and "in a way passive" sage type.

When I first learned of the Shadow, I immediately knew that this is my class. It was years before release, and followed the class informations, with the firm knowledge that it's my class.

And tried it in beta, like what I seen, started the character in early access, and it's still my main. I just LOVE the stealth, that I don't have to fight my way through all those mobs, just sneak in, do the job, sneak out, nobody seen anything :)

But I have to admit, I'm not entirely satified, and seriously have doubts of the class now. The Balance Shadow I play, was always a dotter and not a real melee, but after the exp. it's even more less melee character than it was. And I have to say, feeling stupid standing next to the opponent and waving hand every few sec, refreshing a dot, and ocassionally hit a double strike. Tried Infiltrator, didn't like it. Right now the shadow combat gameplay is just not fun for me. I'm not talking about the numbers and dps, just the feeling of the class itself.

But the stealth... thats priceless :)

I followed this game very closely for a long time pre-launch. I studied the classes, roles and did my research to pick the perfect main for me. I was always a "path least followed" kind of guy, and I got the impression pre-launch that the Imperial Agent was the class with the lowest interest/hype/following. I went with a Medicine Operative and never looked back.

Since launch I think this class gained a lot more respect.

First character I chose a Shadow because they can tank and stealth, and I never played either sort of class in other games. I also make a habit of rolling DPS for my first character in any game, on the theory that they're faster, cheaper, and easier to level most of the time.

Then I rolled a Scoundrel because I usually have a healer as my main, and the HoT based healing + bag of tricks type toolset had a faint resemblance to the Fixer in Anarchy Online. I also leveled this toon on nothing but FPs and class quests, and I had a lot more fun than I did solo leveling the Shadow.

Next was a Sorcerer because I wanted to try a cast healer and to see if the DoT DPS spec was really any better for the Sorc/Sage compared with the Shadow's rather sad showings on sustained DPS. I also wanted something with a ranged DPS option since I had only done melee to that point.

Next was a Vanguard because I wanted to learn to tank, and I wanted to try a tank that was less fiddly and more reliable than the Shadow. Again I leveled this on on FPs and class quests, and it worked out very nicely. I am not as good a tank as a healer, but this toon became my new main anyway.

Most recently I blitzed a Guardian to 50 during the double XP weekends, just to unlock all her companions for crafting. I also wanted to try out the "other" tank. I'm not all that thrilled with her, so I may or may not get around to leveling her to 55 (well, eventually I will, but maybe not soon).

My current leveler is a Bounty Hunter, because I wanted a tank on the Sith side. I had some delusions of leveling her on PvP only, and Powertech/Pyro is supposed to be a good noob spec for that; but that has not come to pass yet.

Edited by Heezdedjim

I have a lot of characters but my main remains the sorcerer healer. I like the type of healing skills more than the other healing classes. I do like my Sith Juggernaut tank too, but I don't like tanking HM Ops except EV I suppose. Some of the mechanics there are just too annoying to enjoy it, but hey.

When I was reading information bout the game prior to release, Imperial Agent was easily my first choice. I love spy/espionage types. I am the type who would rather play the more normal guy, rather than a gifted force user. Initially, an Operative sounded more appealing because I was used to stealth classes and healing.

Once I tried out the class on the beta weekend, I was hooked. The story is awesome.

Eventually I re-rolled a sniper; they're just easy to dps with in end game operations, but I'm still playing the Operative too.

There are two things that are truly awesome: 1) Lightsabers 2) Walking to an objective without the need to kill every single thing along the way.

Jedi Shadow was really my only choice from the outset.

Other combinations I've found to be equally awesome:

Agent Story + #2 = Operative

#1 + Killing everything in my path with lightning = Sorcerer

I have all 4 base classes on both sides (been playing since Aug 2011).

My main on the Empire side is my Sniper (great story) with my Juggernaut a close second.

On the Republic side, main is my Vanguard. I tried to model him off of the clones from the game Republic Commando.

I'm kind of disappointed that some of his most damaging attacks came from melee rather than ranged combat. I didn't like that big a** gun hanging off of my back to go with the Commando AC which probably would have been more of what I wanted.

I basically picked Assassin because of the holonet pic and description. Which is ironic, because there really aren't a ton of armor options that look anything like the holonet pic. And the inquisitor story doesn't really have any deception or manipulation like it says in the description.

Yet somehow I still ended up loving the class and it is now my main :D

Let's see. DAoC: Friar, WAR: Warrior Priest. The next step was very logical, picking the "good" healing religious fanatic pointed directly at the Sage :)

That last second shield&heal you got from the totally idiotic cloth wearer jumping into a horde of frothing-at-the-mouth Imperial swine? The one that got smashed to pieces saving your butt? ME! Now show some gratitude and give my tank, who has to deal with that infantile act every day, an MVP vote.

I really play them all but I do prefer ranged characters in amost every game I play. I do quite like the playstyle of the Sith Sorcerer, Jedi Sage since a Sorcerer is my main. I also really like Imperial Agent and Smuggler (I like both the ranged and stealth playstyle of these classes). Imperial Agent and Smuggler are the two of my favorite stories in the game.

I knew I wanted to go dark side and I knew I wanted to be as bad as bad can be. That being said I threw a warrior and an inquisitor. I had an easier/better time with the warrior and out of my 4 present toons consider it my main.

Answer: Because droid was not an option. I wanted to play my role in the galaxy as the greatest assassin droid that I am, and instead, you make me into an NPC that gets defeated so easily. In fact you make the copy of me so much more than I.

*not HK* Actually I chose the Trooper because almost every singe Star Wars game has you play as a Jedi as the main character. Don't get me wrong, that's a lot of fun; but I'd like some diversity. Yeah Dark Forces isn't a game that lets you be a Jedi, but I only recently acquired it, and computers now can't run such old programs (which is a very sad thing). There's also the Battlefront series, but I don't count that because it's just a mass number vs mass number / base capture game. The only one that you don't that is epic (save Dark Forces) is Republic Commando. However none of the RPG games let your main character be only one type (as far as I know there's SWG, but I've never played that, and that's an MMO, not a plain RPG like what I'm referring to).

I'm enjoying the change. I do have one character of each class, but my main is a Trooper, and I wouldn't have it any other way.*back to HK*

At first, I wanted to play a JK because I'd read the book and wanted Scourge as a companion. Only got him to Tatooine, though. Then I played a Juggernaut and a Sniper, I can't recall why I chose them. I only know that I was watching the Agent Character Progression video in order to settle on the advanced class I'd rather play.

I did all the reading before launch, delved into it as much as possible to get involved in the hype...realised upon getting the game on my way home from work, after installing and setting up my account....that I had NO idea what I wanted to do, so rolled a Shadow.

A friend contacted me weeks later saying he and some old MMO friends had rolled imps on the Red Eclipse, so I hopped over - was told they needed a tank. Juggernaut was an easy choice, having looked at the options and play style and its been my main ever since. Throw, leap, choke, smash, ravage? fun X a million.

Incidentally the Shadow is still at level 32.