Domino Effect and the Pyrotech

BanetheDarkLord

The roll isn't the main issue with op healers. The skill itself maybe a problem. But the main reason Ops are op is they have no resource management requirements and healing in general is over tuned.. Add in all there escapes and mobility and you have an op class.

Anybody who plays an Op/Scoundrel healer would agree with this. I can almost take diagnostic scan off my keybindings since I never need to use it anymore to recover energy. If the roll existed prior to 2.0 we'd rarely be able to use it due to the energy cost.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggesting that healers can heal by this much now because PTs are not there to keep them in check is nuts. I'm no PT guru, but in the bastion, I see several PTs that consistently put up equal dmg numbers to all other classes at the end of WZs... it just leads me to believe that PT's skill requirement was up'd post 2.0 and it's no longer easy mode, as in: PTs now have to put some thought into what they're doing. If these PTs (several names come to mind) can match most classes numbers, why can't you?

Op healing is a bit too much right now, and Sorcerer/Sage is by far the best AC in SWTOR.

Suggesting that healers can heal by this much now because PTs are not there to keep them in check is nuts. I'm no PT guru, but in the bastion, I see several PTs that consistently put up equal dmg numbers to all other classes at the end of WZs... it just leads me to believe that PT's skill requirement was up'd post 2.0 and it's no longer easy mode, as in: PTs now have to put some thought into what they're doing. If these PTs (several names come to mind) can match most classes numbers, why can't you?

Op healing is a bit too much right now, and Sorcerer/Sage is by far the best AC in SWTOR.

Pts put up fluff damage, they put **** dots on people. What they are talking about is burst damage not weak aoe dots. Pts burst damage got raped. Burst damage is what kills in PvP.

Lets be honest. My PT frequently tops the charts.

My powertech only does really good because so many people are really bad. I'm a mediocre player that understands and plays the objectives.

I have no defensive CD's in the spec outside of the class shield, and I only do that kind of damage because healers keep me propped up way longer than I should be.

Damage numbers do not mean that pyrotechs are viable. We are not.

Pts put up fluff damage, they put **** dots on people. What they are talking about is burst damage not weak aoe dots. Pts burst damage got raped. Burst damage is what kills in PvP.

I see what you mean. Think of this: Pre 2.0 burst, with heavy armor, with 30k HP, with shield, with hydraulic overrides etc... ? why play anything else than PT? The meta game changed for PTs post 2.0 but some of them still cling to the past. The good ones already adapted and are still a force to be reckoned with.

There's no heavy armor class in the game that has any over the top burst (it wouldn't be fair!). The only one that comes closer to that (shien), is 4m range and has clear drawbacks. Commandos/Mercs were just resurrected, but they will be brought in line soon enough (they're just getting a break for now, in retribution for all these months of suck) :p

Shed pieces of armor (re-roll) for higher burst, but be ready to deal with the shortcomings lighter (Med/Light) armor brings with it.

Edited by Seengularity

I see what you mean. Think of this: Pre 2.0 burst, with heavy armor, with 30k HP, with shield, with hydraulic overrides etc... ? why play anything else than PT? The meta game changed for PTs post 2.0 but some of them still cling to the past. The good ones already adapted and are still a force to be reckoned with.

There's no heavy armor class in the game that has any over the top burst (it wouldn't be fair!). The only one that comes closer to that (shien), is 4m range and has clear drawbacks. Commandos/Mercs were just resurrected, but they will be brought in line soon enough (they're just getting a break for now, in retribution for all these months of suck) :p

Shed pieces of armor (re-roll) for higher burst, but be ready to deal with the shortcomings lighter (Med/Light) armor brings with it.

Just from reading the first paragraph, I know you know nothing about the class, unless there was a secret 31/31/31 spec. So the spec people are talking about is pyro pt. It was a 1 trick pony for the most part, it did the best burst DPS in game. Their survivability was burst DPS. Their defensive CDs were crap compared to every other class and heavy armor is meh in PvP.

Edited by Boch

Can u tell me with a straight face that u actually pvp`ed pre 2.0???

1) 30k hp pre 2.0?--> pre 2.0 recruits we`re hovering around 15-17k hp and geared players around 20-22k hp(dps classes)

2) hydraulic overrides--> DID NOT EXIST outside of Adv prototype skill tree

lets leave it here and not embarrasse urself even more...pls do not post if u have no idea what ur talking about

Edited by iDraxter

Can u tell me with a straight face that u actually pvp`ed pre 2.0???

1) 30k hp pre 2.0?--> pre 2.0 recruits we`re hovering around 15-17k hp and geared players around 20-22k hp(dps classes)

2) hydraulic overrides--> DID NOT EXIST outside of Adv prototype skill tree

lets leave it here and not embarrasse urself even more...pls do not post if u have no idea what ur talking about

Shhhh, save your barbs. My mistake, here's what I meant:

"Pre 2.0 burst IN POST 2.0 environment, with heavy armor, with 30k HP, with shield, with hydraulic overrides...etc"

Heavy armor IS a factor. Perhaps you think it's irrelevant because you go down just as fast when more than 2 people are attacking you and you've exhausted your CDs... but everyone else would/will/should. If it didn't matter, there wouldn't be a distinction between armor types, in which case, take it to BW I have nothing to do with that.

Edited by Seengularity

I think he was referring to the idea that with the "upgrades" to PT for 2.0, they don't need burst like they had. I maintain that PT still is a good class but not easymode anymore. I do think that it would be very effective at eliminating some of the current healing problems if the burst was brought back.

I think he was referring to the idea that with the "upgrades" to PT for 2.0, they don't need burst like they had. I maintain that PT still is a good class but not easymode anymore. I do think that it would be very effective at eliminating some of the current healing problems if the burst was brought back.

You got it Abhaxus. Still though, "I do think that it would be very effective at eliminating some of the current healing problems if the burst was brought back" I don't agree with this. This is to say, Sins/Snipers/Mara/Sorcs/Mercs have no burst? I can understand you lobbying for more PT burst, but doing so to eliminate current healing problems... not sure. PTs should get more burst if the devs feel they need it (I don't).

To the other poster: PT did NOT have the best burst pre 2.0. Very close to best burst/ 2nd best burst YES, I wouldn't dispute that..

Edited by Seengularity

They only things it has over other classes is a pull and a ranged aoe taunt in every spec. Other classes do multiple jobs better than vanguards do now.

We lost four major things, including our only damn defense.

We gained one: hydraulic overrides. I'm not even going to dignify shoulder cannon as a 'gain'.

Everyone geared right should have around 30K health with full augments/conqueror.

So can I trade in HO for three of the four things taken?

we sure wouldnt be seeing all these nerf Operative threads if PTs still had their burst.

They were the pre eminent Operative killer, because they eat that last 30% of your HPs like no other class did...

Cool story... but 99.9% of the time Pyro's weren't going after Op/Scoundrel healers as it was. I have one that I've levelled entirely through PvP and Pyro's almost *never* have come after me; it was mostly Assassins, Marauders & Juggernauts and more recently mostly the Assassins and sometimes Marauders. I almost never had to deal with Pyro's because they were off getting in the face of everybody else -- and as many as they could simultaneously -- randomly all over the place, basically wherever the biggest clusters were, or the squishiest targets.

But, on my DPS Commando, I had nothing but Pyro's in my grill all WZ long. I figured out pretty quickly that if I was in Huttball, to just stay away from the ball carrier and those Pyro's (if there was one, there were bound to be at least 3) would chase me all over the map, well away from the action and my team would win 6-0 just about every time. Sure, I like to help the team win, but it got old having my butt shooting flames all day long. lol. Sorry, but I don't miss you guys. :p

Edited by BoushhDC

Cool story... but 99.9% of the time Pyro's weren't going after Op/Scoundrel healers as it was. I have one that I've levelled entirely through PvP and Pyro's almost *never* have come after me; it was mostly Assassins, Marauders & Juggernauts and more recently mostly the Assassins and sometimes Marauders. I almost never had to deal with Pyro's because they were off getting in the face of everybody else -- and as many as they could simultaneously -- randomly all over the place, basically wherever the biggest clusters were, or the squishiest targets.

But, on my DPS Commando, I had nothing but Pyro's in my grill all WZ long. I figured out pretty quickly that if I was in Huttball, to just stay away from the ball carrier and those Pyro's (if there was one, there were bound to be at least 3) would chase me all over the map, well away from the action and my team would win 6-0 just about every time. Sure, I like to help the team win, but it got old having my butt shooting flames all day long. lol. Sorry, but I don't miss you guys. :p

what, are you actually saying that the type of class one goes after depends on that person's class? what are you talking about?

heavy armor is irrelevant. everything else about this post is so wrong im not even going to try and correct you

what, are you actually saying that the type of class one goes after depends on that person's class? what are you talking about?

Okay, let's see if I can simplify this. Slim's argument is that if Pyro's hadn't been nerfed, they'd be the ones to shut down the Op healers and therefore there wouldn't be as many people calling them over-powered. Put another way, in his view, the only reason that people view Op healers as OP is that Pyro's can't burst them down. Again, that's SlimsPicken's assertion.

My counterpoint was that 99% of all Pyrotech's I have encountered (and I've played since beta, so I've seen quite a few), because of their skill set, almost exclusively tended to prioritize their targets in terms of clusters and squishy targets, though not necessarily in that order. They have never, in my observation, ever made difficult to kill and elusive targets (which Operatives/Scoundrels certainly are) one of their top priorities.

Therefore, my counter argument to Slim is that whatever changes Pyrotech's have undergone has zero bearing on the potency of Op healers since they didn't target them when they were less hard to kill than they are now.

Edited by BoushhDC

If it makes you feel any better on my pyro pt I was always chased around by sents and shadows and targeted by mandos with there grav round spam in huttball.

Okay, let's see if I can simplify this. Slim's argument is that if Pyro's hadn't been nerfed, they'd be the ones to shut down the Op healers and therefore there wouldn't be as many people calling them over-powered. Put another way, in his view, the only reason that people view Op healers as OP is that Pyro's can't burst them down. Again, that's SlimsPicken's assertion.

My counterpoint was that 99% of all Pyrotech's I have encountered (and I've played since beta, so I've seen quite a few), because of their skill set, almost exclusively tended to prioritize their targets in terms of clusters and squishy targets, though not necessarily in that order. They have never, in my observation, ever made difficult to kill and elusive targets (which Operatives/Scoundrels certainly are) one of their top priorities.

Therefore, my counter argument to Slim is that whatever changes Pyrotech's have undergone has zero bearing on the potency of Op healers since they didn't target them when they were less hard to kill than they are now.

So you played with/against bad powertechs that dont focus enemy healers?

When PTs had the burst to do it, a good PT could shut down a operative healer so completely that they will be able to do nothing but heal themselves to try and stay alive. 2 PTs would kill any healer guarded or not.

My point is that when bioware takes away the burst classes that were best at specifically dealing with the operative healers, the operative healers seem overpowered because one of the main threats to their survival is gone from the game.

It has nothing to do with the fact that most players are bad, and PT or not, didnt focus on healers. The good ones did, and they were enough to keep guarded operative heals in check.

With a permanent slow from their cylinder, too many DoTs to cleanse and waste a GCD, and a 6 second ramp up on rail procs to dump burst coupled with TD/ED, no operative healer could use the 30% probe spam to keep alive. Roll wouldnt even help against them since it would be 6m due to the slows, and they would just get grappled back to kill range.

Its all conjecture, because PTs were nerfed and Ops were buffed so we can never truly know because they arent strong at the same time, but trust me, good PTs wrecked face on operative healers pre 2.0 detonator nerf, and I believe would continue to do so now if un nerfed back to what they were.

But regardless, it does not matter when people are bads like you are talking about. In that case nothing would matter to help them.

When obviously new scoundrels or operative healers are out healing an experienced Sage by 300k+ heals all the time, then something is very OP somewhere. Not to mention you stick out like a sore thumb as a Sage healer and get DPSd down in 10 seconds, or 1 second if your Force Shield Bubble of Impenetrable Defence is on CD. xP Edited by Monkfishysnow

So you played with/against bad powertechs that dont focus enemy healers?

That's not quite what I said. Combat medics? Forget about it! Choicest of morsels. And they'd focus Sages alot. Typical scenario: Sage is standing at/near the back of the fighters pretty much catching hell from all directions. They drop a healing circle on the ground that they and several others stand in. In swoops the Pyrotech to their midst, grapples in another for good measure, carbonize, set aflame, cryo the sage in case they look like they are about to rabbit, and burn them down. C'mon, you've seen it plenty, I'm sure. It's the main reason I keep my Scoundrel healer away from as many other players as possible, and you know that the Pyros get the giggles AOE'ing as many as possible.

When PTs had the burst to do it, a good PT could shut down a operative healer so completely that they will be able to do nothing but heal themselves to try and stay alive. 2 PTs would kill any healer guarded or not.

Oh, I know they *could* do it, most of them just chose not too. It was much more fun wiping out large swaths of players in one fell swoop, or quickly burn down defenseless squishies once the opponents got more spread out. Chasing after an operative/scoundrel that would just dirty kick them, flash grenade them, or disappear? Meh, waste of their efforts, GCDs and burst. Besides they could see other's running around after them anyway (Assassins, marauders, etc).

My point is that when bioware takes away the burst classes that were best at specifically dealing with the operative healers, the operative healers seem overpowered because one of the main threats to their survival is gone from the game.

I get what you're saying, but again, that's not what they were doing. They were not going after the Op healers. They aren't going after them even now with what is one of the best counter's to the roll/scamper: grapple/harpoon. I've not seen it used a single time. What's the excuse there? It can't be avoided, but Pyro's aren't even targeting them to be in a position to use it once an Op tries to take off. Forget burst. Even if a Pyro could accept the idea that they might have to rely on their teammates for help for once, they still aren't using the tools they have. When slowed (a basic attack in the Pyro tree), it shortens their roll by half, and they can't use it if imobilized. It's not even like what snipers/gunslinger's get which is 100% dodge then into cover, breaking movement slowing effects. Bottom line, it *can* be dealt with. Some are trying but for the most part, none of them are Pyros. I agree with you that they can, however. The main difference is that while Pyro's largely never had to rely on teammates before, now they do, and they don't like it. That's why we mark healers... so that more than one person will hit them.

Way back when, I rolled a Vanguard to see what all the hubbub was about. I have to say, it was a refreshing change from the other classes that I played to be able to jump into the fray and wreak havoc, comparatively unscathed. Didn't have to worry about trying to minimize exposure to the enemy, create LOS issues for those that might be hitting from afar... basically, not have to worry about placement at all... just go in and mow 'em down whether I had assistance or not... if I was going to go down, I was taking a number of others with me. I see the attraction, but with all the other classes I play, I can't be that cavalier and i have to instead rely on help from others on my team. It's pretty different, and personally, I felt it was also pretty easy mode. Nothing wrong with that in theory (every MMO seems to have a class that's easier to play than the others), but when a single class becomes so attractive due to such traits (no sweat to dominate everyone else), that it's common to go against 3-6 or more of the *exact* same spec in every WZ (I think I'd get a Pyro-less WZ once every 3 days or so) then that BW guy, Metrics, gets involved in a big way. At launch, it was Sorcs all day long (4-8 every WZ), and unfortunately, from time to time still do, so it's not anywhere near ideal, yet.

While I won't go so far as to say the classes are totally balanced now, I have noticed a more broad representation of classes across the WZs... well, on the Republic side, at least.

Edited by BoushhDC

Nothing really changed with watchman the entire time apart from the healer player base becoming more knowledgeable about cleansing the dots..

Dot cleansing isn't the issue. Medics cleansing watchman dots in PVP are wasting time. The global CD for the dot cleanse would be better spent using kolto pack (7500 healing), than cleansing the dots which will be reapplied very quickly. The nerfs to the watchman's dot damage (9% damage reduction) and the self-healing nerfs are what killed watchman.

BTW, I wasn't saying that pyro does not need buffed. I was saying that some other classes such as sentinel and jedi shadow only have 1 viable spec right now, so powertech isn't the only class that has specs that need buffed.

Edited by TheCourier-

Dot cleansing isn't the issue. Medics cleansing watchman dots in PVP are wasting time. The global CD for the dot cleanse would be better spent using kolto pack (7500 healing), than cleansing the dots which will be reapplied very quickly. The nerfs to the watchman's dot damage (9% damage reduction) and the self-healing nerfs are what killed watchman.

BTW, I wasn't saying that pyro does not need buffed. I was saying that some other classes such as sentinel and jedi shadow only have 1 viable spec right now, so powertech isn't the only class that has specs that need buffed.

Exactly they have viable specs, van/PT has no viable dps trees and the tank tree is outstripped by jugg tanks in every catagory

Yes Pyro Pts were good at killing healers, but if they reverted the nerfs it still wouldn't change the fact that OP healers are much better than the other. On PTs is was easiest to kill sorcs, then OPS and Mercs were about the same. But with the 2.0 changes it would still be much easier to kill sorcs and mercs then OPS. So just buffing one class wont fix the problem.

That's not quite what I said. Combat medics? Forget about it! Choicest of morsels. And they'd focus Sages alot. Typical scenario: Sage is standing at/near the back of the fighters pretty much catching hell from all directions. They drop a healing circle on the ground that they and several others stand in. In swoops the Pyrotech to their midst, grapples in another for good measure, carbonize, set aflame, cryo the sage in case they look like they are about to rabbit, and burn them down. C'mon, you've seen it plenty, I'm sure. It's the main reason I keep my Scoundrel healer away from as many other players as possible, and you know that the Pyros get the giggles AOE'ing as many as possible.

Oh, I know they *could* do it, most of them just chose not too. It was much more fun wiping out large swaths of players in one fell swoop, or quickly burn down defenseless squishies once the opponents got more spread out. Chasing after an operative/scoundrel that would just dirty kick them, flash grenade them, or disappear? Meh, waste of their efforts, GCDs and burst. Besides they could see other's running around after them anyway (Assassins, marauders, etc).

I get what you're saying, but again, that's not what they were doing. They were not going after the Op healers. They aren't going after them even now with what is one of the best counter's to the roll/scamper: grapple/harpoon. I've not seen it used a single time. What's the excuse there? It can't be avoided, but Pyro's aren't even targeting them to be in a position to use it once an Op tries to take off. Forget burst. Even if a Pyro could accept the idea that they might have to rely on their teammates for help for once, they still aren't using the tools they have. When slowed (a basic attack in the Pyro tree), it shortens their roll by half, and they can't use it if imobilized. It's not even like what snipers/gunslinger's get which is 100% dodge then into cover, breaking movement slowing effects. Bottom line, it *can* be dealt with. Some are trying but for the most part, none of them are Pyros. I agree with you that they can, however. The main difference is that while Pyro's largely never had to rely on teammates before, now they do, and they don't like it. That's why we mark healers... so that more than one person will hit them.

Way back when, I rolled a Vanguard to see what all the hubbub was about. I have to say, it was a refreshing change from the other classes that I played to be able to jump into the fray and wreak havoc, comparatively unscathed. Didn't have to worry about trying to minimize exposure to the enemy, create LOS issues for those that might be hitting from afar... basically, not have to worry about placement at all... just go in and mow 'em down whether I had assistance or not... if I was going to go down, I was taking a number of others with me. I see the attraction, but with all the other classes I play, I can't be that cavalier and i have to instead rely on help from others on my team. It's pretty different, and personally, I felt it was also pretty easy mode. Nothing wrong with that in theory (every MMO seems to have a class that's easier to play than the others), but when a single class becomes so attractive due to such traits (no sweat to dominate everyone else), that it's common to go against 3-6 or more of the *exact* same spec in every WZ (I think I'd get a Pyro-less WZ once every 3 days or so) then that BW guy, Metrics, gets involved in a big way. At launch, it was Sorcs all day long (4-8 every WZ), and unfortunately, from time to time still do, so it's not anywhere near ideal, yet.

While I won't go so far as to say the classes are totally balanced now, I have noticed a more broad representation of classes across the WZs... well, on the Republic side, at least.

im pretty sure you're trolling now. nobody could be dumb enough to think pts played like an aoe class or purposely ignored a healer just because they were an op or because they were further away from other players. nobody could be that stupid

With all this talk about this edition of SWTOR PvP being very healer friendly, more specifically the Scoundrels/Operatives *(WHICH I DON"T THINK ARE OP)* I wanted to dive in and find out exactly why it ended up this way. Why is this such a healer friendly PvP now? Why do so many people THINK Scoundrels/Operatives are OP?

Well the obvious thing would be to look at the classes themselves. (From this point on I will be saying this from the Imperial perspective in terms of names of abilities and talents because that is what I have played). The biggest claim to the Operatives being OP is the roll. Yes its a BIG game changer and we have seen that with strategies revolving around using those rolls effectively, especially at the start of games/rounds. Although there are many tools that all the classes have to slowdown or root the Operatives in combat that severely reduce its effectiveness. Not enough people use them efficiently and in turn see the Operatives as "OP."

Healing across the board has gone up between all three classes. Yes the Operatives and Sorcs seem to be a little more effective in a WZ, but the Merc really isn't as far behind as some may think. I haven't really thought about exactly what the Mercs would need, but that's not what this thread is about so I'll move on and save that thought for later. As mentioned, the healing output has gone up overall and so has DPS......mostly

This brings me to my main point. Before 2.0 one of the most powerful burst DPS classes in the game was the Pyrotech. Even going back to early patches, it continued to be slightly nerfed over and over, but still was a monster of a DPS class. Although, come 2.0 it took a severe hit and now rarely do you see a full Pyrotech in game. Mostly people have gone to hybrid specs that involve getting Oil Slick, changed to Advanced Prototype, or changed to Tank.

Now lets say....Pyrotech had the 1.7 Thermal Detonator and CGC damage wasn't nerfed by 50%, BUT the Advanced Prototype tree looked as it does presently (basically Charged Gauntlets being tied to Prototype Cylinder Ventilation) as to not have the crazy hybrid from the first 2.0 PTS. What would we be seeing today? Would healing still be king in PvP? Would the cries of OP rolls still be happening as much? (Because you know there would still be whining about it no matter what :rolleyes: )

Remember, CGC was mainly done from your Flame Burst which was a low heat and constantly used attack in Pyro, which would constantly apply a 30% slow to the affected target, which in turn would severely lesson the effectiveness of the roll as it would only go half distance. Plus Flame Sweep in 2.0 applying CGC and at a lower heat cost would help with slowing multiple healers. Finally, we know how many people had been playing the Pyrotech, including myself (although I thoroughly enjoy the fun of AdvProto).

Anyway, not sure exactly how to "conclude" this post except to just put it up for discussion. How different would WZs be if Pyrotech didn't get the CGC nerf and change to Thermal Detonator? Would it still be healer friendly? Would we see too many corpses on the battlefield? Or would it actually be a little more balanced?

This has nothing to do with anything but powertech damage.

Health went up about 50%, some healing specs got their resource problems fixed, operatives got a roll (which can't be slowed at the start of the game when it is most beneficial) and sorcs got a 10s invincibility bubble. Tanks also got extra mitigation from improved shielding mechanics. All of these benefit healers and healing.

Comparitively, the dps classes didn't get more dps, in fact much dps was nerfed when crit was reduced. And none of the classes got extra dps. Assuming all these classes specced into dps, snipers got mobility, ops got mobility, juggs got more defense, marauders got a ranged aoe throw (which doesn't increase their primary dps rotation at all in any of their specs), sins got mobility, sorcs got defense, mercs and pts got mobility (and mercs got a net). The reworking of most trees didn't really buff anyone's damage save for a few rare and specific scenarios which mostly don't apply to rated play, and merc net won't keep up with all the other healing buffs.

It's not pyro nerfs that caused healing to perform better, it's the massive sweeping survivability and healing buffs.

Edited by JP_Legatus