Jedi Knights PvP gear is unacceptably pathetic. Be united against it!

Alexious

Lots of game make a simple solution to this by allowing players to skin their current armor.

As full of failures as it was, Aion nailed this one just rigth...you didnt like the lv50e pvp gear....but you needed the stats?....no problem, take any armor you like, go to a shop and skin the armor you "need" as the armor you "like"

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the frak is up with the golden metal samurai jedi? Sorry, Bioware, you do NOT have my vote for this one. That's rather horrendous looking.

You bring great shame to the BioWare Damiyo. You will wear your uniform proudly and fight for the Shogunate! If you do not approve of such gifts your Jedi will be forced to commit seppuku in order to restore your Legacy's honor.

Hi Alexious,

Style is something that is very subjective and what some people love, others find unacceptable. The solution to that lies in allowing players to control their own style, a function that the core game currently provides via customizable (orange) gear.

Please see Emmanuel's post on extending orange gear viability into endgame to get an idea of our intentions. Obviously, new appearances will also be added to the game over time as well.

Regards

Georg

I agree with you in part Georg. You have provided the tools for us to control our own style to some extent. On of my biggest gripes as a Jedi Sentinel is that there is not enough variation in the medium armor sets as there is in the heavy/light armor sets.

This isn't exactly PvP specific. The colors for Sentinel are white, gray, or variations on bantha poo brown. Where as Guardians, and sages get a larger spectrum of color variations (including black) on top of the standard robe skins as well as some rather unique looks.

You bring great shame to the BioWare Damiyo. You will wear your uniform proudly and fight for the Shogunate! If you do not approve of such gifts your Jedi will be forced to commit seppuku in order to restore your Legacy's honor.

Lmao, well crafted.

Hi Alexious,

Style is something that is very subjective and what some people love, others find unacceptable. The solution to that lies in allowing players to control their own style, a function that the core game currently provides via customizable (orange) gear.

Please see Emmanuel's post on extending orange gear viability into endgame to get an idea of our intentions. Obviously, new appearances will also be added to the game over time as well.

Regards

Georg

I think there should be a certain stylistic consistency for each class. The armor designers should have guidelines on each class that lists certain iconic characteristics, and each armor they design should incorporate most or all of those characteristics. I don't see how this C3PO/samurai costume is stylistically appropriate for a Jedi Knight. I'm not sure it's stylistically appropriate for any SWTOR class (maybe BH?) but that's another story.

The fact that we can use custom orange gear to control our style should NOT mean that the artists do not have a responsibility to maintain this stylistic consistency. Just because I can use a level 10 customizable Jedi robe doesn't make it OK for the artists to create something ridiculous for level 50 PvP gear. You do not want players who put in the time and effort to obtain high level armors to feel disappointed because the look is goofy or not consistent with the iconic style of their class and immediately dump it for their old level 10 custom robe.

Here is why I don't like it:

1. It is "helmet heavy". The helmet is way too big for the armor set. It looks like the jedi is top heavy and its awkward.

2. Poor choice in aesthetics. Why copy a samurai? Even though Lucas got his inspiration from the samurai it is silly to copy that in game. The Jedi have no idea what a "samurai" is!

3. I know this is in the past and "style" might have been different, including armor, but the gear just doesn't look like a jedi. Some armor plates are fine but where is the jedi cloth? Where is the hood? Even if you don't want to go that route, there should be something about the style that says "jedi". This just looks like they missed the point. Again, ARMOR is fine but do something that says JEDI!

The way Republic gear looks now it will only make server imbalances bigger. If BW is wondering why their servers are imbalanced just to look at gear differences between Republic and Empire and they will find half of the answer - the other half is how abilities look between factions. In pve tier gear male consular looks like nun, its pathetic. If republic future gear doesn't begin to look attractive for ppl below age of 60 then republic may almost disappear from the game - like my whole guild that changed faction and am the last one refusing to give up seeing every new gear for every slot being more "so 70s" than the previous. When I see end game PVP/PVE gear not only on vendors but equipped on me I expect to give up on republic and stop trying to be from the ones to keep some server balance. Edited by SBite

Hi Alexious,

Regards

Georg

No George jedi not wearing samurai helmets is completely objective. Further, your statement about style being subjective goes both ways. Sure, there might be some nut out there who thinks Picasso is a bad painter, but you don't hire him for your art department when 99% of the world disagrees. In cases of subjective stuff the majority opinion is what matters. You can justify all you want, but if most players think it's bad it needs to be changed. The game is for us, not for some weirdo with bad taste in your art department. Whether I'm right and your argument is invalid or whether I'm wrong and it is, either way the design objectively needs to be changed when the majority of its target audience hates it. As another poster above said; it's also objectively bad design when it's radically inconsistent with the style of the rest of the gear of a class. Especially so when visual consistency has been stated by devs as one of the stylistic goals for classes.

Edited by Game_Hermit

That Iron Samurai Man-3PO armor would rule the battlefield. All you would have to do is run around performing finishing moves on all of the Imperials stunned by their own laughter.

On the bright side, at least it doesn't have a hood.

Hi Alexious,

I don't think anyone loves being a wannabetrooperspacesamuraijedi.

Edited by Pherex

My problem, Mr. Zoeller, is that your argument is predicated on the armor being of equal quality in terms of design and art direction to other options.

99.99% of this game is gorgeous. Environments, armors, creatures, etc. And while I may not PERSONALLY like all the armor options I see for a given class, I can appreciate how they are appropriate, well made, and likely to be enjoyed by other players.

THIS armor is none of those things... it looks like low level trooper or BH armor, and shows none of the "quality" vibes you get from other high level gear.

I'm not averse to the idea of ARMOR for Jedi, but I think this armor doesn't look like something an agile swordsman would wear. And more IMPORTANTLY this armor is not a mark a prestige or accomplishment. High level sith armor says "I am a SITH LORD", and is worn with pride as a mark of greatness.

I feel ashamed to wear this armor to a Warzone, as I feel I look just like the level 17 commando I'm standing next to in the spawn area.

Here's hoping someone directs this to the art team... I really think this set just doesn't hit the same BIOWARE STANDARD as everything else; an admittedly high bar, but you guys really knocked it out of the park with some scary/awesome looks for the other classes and that makes us Knights just feel left out.

We should look regal, powerful, lordly, and ready for fast, acrobatic combat. I hope to see more armor AND robes that bring those words to mind. Thanks.

Hi Alexious,

Regards

Georg

This is false. So far the only "choice of appearance" is the same appearance in varying colors and a couple added pieces of metal. JKs have exactly two looks, besides PvP gear; hooded robe or hooded cape. You then add some bits of extra metal around the shoulders to simulate "choice." And this is all of it. Don't include Social gear, because it's all Light Armor, meaning it is useless for anything other than JCs or Companions.

Edited by amonre

Hi Alexious,

Regards

Georg

So orange level 50 gear will be added?

This gear is plain and simply hideous.. No where at all have I ever seen a metallic samurai in Star Wars. If you want this game to be "iconic and starwarsy" you will actually make Jedi Knights look like Jedi Knights.

If this concept art for this armor was brought to my desk I would seriously consider firing the artist... How it made it to a live version of the game blows me away..

So orange level 50 gear will be added?

Custom gear (orange) has no level. Its level is derived from the modifications you slot into it.

So yes, you can make any gear in the game that fits your class level 50+ after the changes Emmanuel described happen.

A few notes:

When we reply to one post, we can't address all other questions that the community might come up with. Stuff like, hoods, adding more armor variation, etc. are all things we've taken note of and when we have something to announce, you will hear from us. We've always said we wanted to have customer demand driven development after launch and some of the things you've read about are just the first in a long list of things we want to do or are discussing right now.

Please also be mindful that we're not often going to give ETAs. An ETA, even though it's estimated, is essentially a promise - and that limits our ability to prioritize our development based on actual severity and impact and that is not a smart thing to do. They also create a lot of bad blood regarding broken promises if they aren't met. (In my experience, few people take notice of the E in ETA.)

The Knight PvP gear is completely disjointed from the rest of the gear available to knights. Wearing it you don't look like a knight. The helmet is the worst offender of this, with the rest of the set just looking excessively bland.

When you then look at the Sentinel Champion gear in solid gold, the set is revolting. The other color schemes aren't terrible, but the set is absolutely revolting in a solid gold.

Hi Alexious,

Regards

Georg

Future plans are great and all, but until it actually happens, saying this just comes off as disingenuous.

Edited by Rasui

Playing both Emp and Rep it seems to me that way more thought was put in to the Empire side. Their armor is awesome, where as Republics are just down right horrid. Nar Shaddar is a failure of a planet. Even the +10 holocron takes Empire 10 mins to get, for us its a 2 hr process.

The armor the characters were wearing in the CG cutscenes were bad ***. Hell even the NPC

s at the Jedi Temple look awesome.

Large fail, Bioware.

Wow, that is some truly atrocious looking armour. Hell, it would be awful for any class let alone a Jedi Knight.

I'm also more than a little pissed off at Georg's response. Yes, style is subjective but you'll struggle to find more than half a dozen people that love that armour and think it's a fit for a Jedi Knight. Not only that, but he's listing alternatives that aren't even in the game yet! But then I distinctly remember reading a very condescending post of his back in one of the beta weekends, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Edited by Valorak