[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?

Chompski

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From redit.

[–]StephenReid 127 points 10 days ago

As you can tell, we're acting aggressively to deal with issues that may cause exploits that can unbalance the game. We take these issues extremely seriously.

We're conducting a full investigation into these issues right now. Rest assured, when we discover those who were involved in these exploits, we'll be taking action against them. If wider actions are required across the game, we'll take those too.

So I know its been confirmed that exploiters not only are suspended a week but also lose all credits? What about gear?

A week only? Should be perma-ban for whatever amount they duped. Low-life scum. I hope that this game doesn't end up like WoW, where botting is so prevalent you'd think Blizzard actually encourages it. Completely ****s up a game's economy. A reason I left and want to try another MMO in the first place.

Edited by Lebensbaum

Dear community, I urge you all to contribute your thoughts to this topic as frequently as possible.

As many of you know by now, SWTOR's recent patch removed some serious financial exploit which have caused economies on all of the game's servers to be badly damaged. Players was able to, naturally, generate infinite amounts of credtis to meet all their possible and impossible needs.

More info can be found here:

In my humble opinion, many people (me included), upon realising inequity of this "little" problem, will be "in thought", to say the least.

When we talking about some kind of PVP exploiting, or even little PVE exploiting (like recent /getdown bug), this is tolerable, because "main stream" of players is unaffected. But when we talking about MMORPG server's economy, this poses a very huge threat to all its inhabitants, because it is bread and butter of the game. Those who think otherwise may want to ignore this post and do something else instead.

So, it rises 2 critical questions to Bioware:

1. Firstly, what measures will be taken against exploiters?

2. Secondly, but more importantly, how do you intend to combat those tricky types who used evasive maneuvres of washing off those illegal credits ( using throwaway accounts, GTN transactions, in-game mail etc)?

Let us not allow this dire situation to be resolved by temporary suspension, which really not help much.

What I personally like to see:

1. Temporary/Permabans to exploiters (really people, you should've known what you're doing in advance), theirs throwaway and main accounts.

2. Withdrawal of all illegal creds from circulation.

We blame the exploiters but no reprimand for the guys who allowed it in the game? There are tipping points in games and when the economy gets ruined this early in the games life then its almost impossible to get it back. Espeically in such a weak economic system like this game has.

And now the price for everything skyrockets.

It's called inflation.

I'm not sure you understand how inflation works. A few people hoarding massive amounts of money has never caused inflation. So I have a ninjillion credits. Let's examine the consequences. My demand for stuff doesn't change. I still want whatever I wanted before. Now I can buy it. I have no incentive to hoard anything since I always have enough to buy it on demand. I pay the normal market price for it. My purchase doesn't affect the future price in any strange way. I also no longer have to produce or sell anything since I already have all the money I could ever want. I'm not a producer in the economy, so there's a slight reduction in potential supply in the market overall. That has a tiny tendency to increase the value of other goods, sure, but one could hardly call it inflation.

In and of itself, having reserve money doesn't change supply or demand, and therefore doesn't alter prices.

What you're thinking of only sets in when vast numbers of people have hordes of money and are injecting it into the economy in various ways constantly because there aren't enough money sinks and they're bored. Like going around intentionally buying all of X.

Dear StephenReid,

what actions WAS taken against the exploiters by now?

Thanks,

Subscriber

Dear Subscriber,

Please be aware, we do not comment on specific situations. If anybody is found to be exploiting the game, we will take action as necessary.

Love

BioWare.

That's the type of response you should expect to receive. No game company ever talks about specifics with the general public, and neither should they. If the players don't trust the company in these matters, then they shouldn't be giving them their money.

Dear Subscriber,

Please be aware, we do not comment on specific situations. If anybody is found to be exploiting the game, we will take action as necessary.

Love

BioWare.

That's the type of response you should expect to receive. No game company ever talks about specifics with the general public, and neither should they. If the players don't trust the company in these matters, then they shouldn't be giving them their money.

Hm... And was there any action at all?

I think there wasn't.

enough time has passed already, since the last statement was made (>2 weeks)

Dear Subscriber,

Love

BioWare.

no offense, but in bioware's position i would be enumerating exactly what i did to the exploiters, not only to discourage people from exploiting but also to show the community that they are indeed looking out for their interests.

i would NOT be saying "if someone turns out to be exploiting, we will do something to them, maybe." and then never talking about it again.

• 3 months later...

Since I didn't hear about this exploit until it was fixed, it's not really my problem, but I would still like to express my opinion.

Bioware punishes paying customers (remember when that word used to mean something) because they abused something that was in the game? They didn't alter game data or otherwise hack the game? But they still get "banished" for a week?

How about testing your product more thoroughly BW? How about just taking back the credits people earned through the bug (or even all the credits if you can't differentiate)?

If I ever get banished for using anything YOU put in the game, be ready to have one less customer.

Edited by VeggieWokker

Since I didn't hear about this exploit until it was fixed, it's not really my problem, but I would still like to express my opinion.

Bioware punishes paying customers (remember when that word used to mean something) because they abused something that was in the game? They didn't alter game data or otherwise hack the game? But they still get "banished" for a week?

How about testing your product more thoroughly BW? How about just taking back the credits people earned through the bug (or even all the credits if you can't differentiate)?

If I ever get banished for using anything YOU put in the game, be ready to have one less customer.

Turbine used to have that philosophy. It did not work out well for them in Asheron's Call.

anyone can tell me what is the exploit that was plugged in latest patch?

the only thing i notice is that my lv 15 sith inquisitor cybertech is critting a lot, chem val is making 2 items (crits) a lot.

is this normal? i dont want to exploit it and now im stopping my cybertech for time being

anyone can tell me what is the exploit that was plugged in latest patch?

the only thing i notice is that my lv 15 sith inquisitor cybertech is critting a lot, chem val is making 2 items (crits) a lot.

is this normal? i dont want to exploit it and now im stopping my cybertech for time being

LOL, no, that was not the exploit. You can search for the answer on the internet, but we can't post anything on here. You are ok doing your crafting :)

I agree, this is illegal and should be punished...

I also don't understand the fun in this... You just get millions of credits, what's it all worth then... The fun in this game is about becoming stronger every day, by playing it consistently, and if you want to buy something, you got to earn the credits first!!!

Sadly, another problem for Bioware, there hands are already full (or should be full) with the lag problems... By the time they have solved that, the money is probably gone or untraceable... :(:(:(

What lag problems? you need to check your internet connection as that is probably the likely culprit. As far as the exploit they already posted that they have banned hundreds of accounts for using this exploit.

No matter how much testing you do on software bugs always do surface.. It says right in the TOS that you will not exploit a bug you find but will instead report it. By your logic you advocate cheating.

Hey folks,

As this thread refers to a patch that is 3 months old, and we've had more recent updates since then, we'll be closing this thread at this time.

That being said, as far as economic exploits are concerned, for more recent thoughts about this, we've made this post regarding exploits:

We're always watching for any potential economic exploits and correct them as a very high priority, and we absolutely do investigate and take action against anyone we've found that takes advantage of exploits like this. We actively monitor the game and have data that assists us in finding people who abuse game systems. Rest assured that players who have been found abusing any exploit will have appropriate actions taken against their accounts.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your understanding. :)