Self Destruct Penalty

Beowulfxx

dude, few if any people are that crazy. I accidently self-destruct when attempting to escape, many times i do a barrel roll just to have it blow up in my face, or rather plow into an asteroid by accident.

I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one that's done that. :D:o

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There may be absolutely no need for a penalty, but of the same token, there is absolutely no reason to not grant a kill to the either the player that did the most damage or the last player to hit the target before a self-destruct. It's a simple change that makes certain players feel better about their performance, so why not? It would have absolutely NO impact WHATSOEVER on people who self-destruct on accident because its NOT A PENALTY.

Take a page from Warthunder on this, and allow people who don't always like to play objectives the opportunity to build the stats that appeal to and/or please them.

It is also quite possible that they aren't doing it on purpose but are trying to get away and use objects as cover and misjudging their turns...I've done it.

Even if my ship is a smoking wreck one shot away from oblivion, I keep on keeping on. I've finished matches with a flaming wreck and I'm not afraid to do it again.

Yes. Barrel roll at the wrong time and I run into more crsp... And I use my smoking ship as bait to pull kill whores away from nodes so that my team can gain a capture.

It's actually funny to pull 4 kill whores away from the action. :cool:

In Huttball, if someone dies in the fire- doesn't the last person to damage them get kill credit? Why not have it work that way, regardless? Last hit before death=their kill.

Not that it really matters... though, now that you've brought it up- whenever I'm low hp and someone has a missile lock I know I can't dodge on my clunky gunship, I boost into an asteroid just to spite him. Way to go OP.

It's poor sportsmanship. Plain and simple. If someone spends the time fighting another only to have the other take the easy way out it's just poor behavior.

Thank you for your insightful and compelling comment.

it's cowardice, plain and simple, if you don't have the balls to play the mode, don't que. it's as bad as the players who suck at gunship, parking out in open space, being easy kills, who then run like little girls to hide behind their spawn ship's turret fire of doom. like a narc running to hide behind his mummies skirts to avoid the consequences of being a tool to people.

i'm pretty sure these players must be 12 at most...

chicken *****, the lot of them.

(i still kill them, cos i can kill em faster than they can get inside the protected zone)

it's cowardice, plain and simple, if you don't have the balls to play the mode, don't que. it's as bad as the players who suck at gunship, parking out in open space, being easy kills, who then run like little girls to hide behind their spawn ship's turret fire of doom. like a narc running to hide behind his mummies skirts to avoid the consequences of being a tool to people.

i'm pretty sure these players must be 12 at most...

chicken *****, the lot of them.

(i still kill them, cos i can kill em faster than they can get inside the protected zone)

That's rather judgmental. I wouldn't call someone a coward because of how they act in a game. And luring people to the turrets is just common sense.

That's rather judgmental. I wouldn't call someone a coward because of how they act in a game. And luring people to the turrets is just common sense.

nope, it's refusing to play the game. hiding inside a deadzone is like if you could start a pvp duel on tat, and then run back to your factions closest settlement and get the opponent killed on the turrets etc, and then you ponce around 'ha ha i won'

if you have to resort to running like a little girl back to the spawn ship to avoid a fight, then you need to never ever play gsf again.

it is NOT common sense, as it puts you up to 50 + k from where you are supposed to be helping your buddies out.

so go ahead, be MORE useless.

It's not refusing to play the game. It's refusing to play the game as you would like them to.

Which is fine. The game was made to accommodate a wide range of roles and play-styles.

except then the game would be called "galactic running-away-brave-brave-sir-robin."

the answer is simple, if you aren't prepared to FIGHT othe players in their STARFIGHTERS, with YOUR STARFIGHTER, don't que for a GALACTIC STARFIGHTER match.

By analogy, you're totally fine with playing a game of chess against someone...

whereupon you take out a gun and blow their brains out, meaning they lose beacuse their turn time limit runs out on the little clock.

>hurr hurr it's not in the rules not to, i'm just playing it differently than you

I don't care for intentional suicide. I feel it makes an otherwise immersive experience in a particularly immersive game much less immersive when you know they're hitting a wall just because they're low on pods or armor or they want to spawn closer to an objective, or because they have lured you away from something. It should not be encouraged by design, it should be discouraged.

Whether people use it or not is not the question, the question is whether it's fun to run into a wall or be the guy that loses a skillfully executed kill because his target intentionally hits a wall. I say no in both cases.

I don't care for intentional suicide. I feel it makes an otherwise immersive experience in a particularly immersive game much less immersive when you know they're hitting a wall just because they're low on pods or armor or they want to spawn closer to an objective, or because they have lured you away from something. It should not be encouraged by design, it should be discouraged.

Whether people use it or not is not the question, the question is whether it's fun to run into a wall or be the guy that loses a skillfully executed kill because his target intentionally hits a wall. I say no in both cases.

Well, Bombers will be introduced later, and they seem to double as supply ships - they'll be able to restore ammo for their allies.

There is a penalty for self destructing weither intentinal or not. When you go back to your respawn point you might have to wait upwards of 15 seconds. Some people self destruct because they are trying to avoid incoming fire power directed at them from various angles and in-advertinly run into obsticles. I know myself, I have by accident went to hit my F3 and instead hit 3 and barrel roll right into something. So your saying I am cheaping the victor you had over me. No you still get a point and I am out of the match for 15 seconds plus flight time back to attack or defend.

Secondly, some ships are designed for dogfighting while others are made for hit and run or hiding and taking shots are people dogfighting. So I will use what ever tactics for each of those ships, via on my scout im taking out turrets and hunting gunships. Strike Fighters I am humping a satellite and your not getting me off no matter what. If I am in my gunship I am finding the best place to snipe and planning my escape route incase someone attacks me. Which ever I do you can gurantee I will run and turn around and attack when I have my advantage back weither you like it or not. But something I won't do is intentinally suicde, it's something that just happens.

Edited by Zohkar

The day before yesterday I actively tried to evade & shake a following starfighter - and of course I used tzhe speed boost.

However, I used it into the wrong direction & crashed into something.

It never occurred to you PvP players that one could be just doing wrong things because of panicking ? Because of feeling frightened ? Kernel panic ?

If not, then it shows how little you know about human psychology.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I have an adequate punishment for suicide, just make a splatter of blood and oil on the surface they crashed into and a big shiny letters saying "HA HA - <Player Name>" appear on it for a minute or so, no mechanic change just add insult to injury, that should be enough. And on a more serious note, respawn time + 30 sec to get to the nearest point or fight + 10 or more sec to regen at least some engine power, yeah I'd call that punishment enough.

I have an adequate punishment for suicide, just make a splatter of blood and oil on the surface they crashed into and a big shiny letters saying "HA HA - <Player Name>" appear on it for a minute or so, no mechanic change just add insult to injury, that should be enough. And on a more serious note, respawn time + 30 sec to get to the nearest point or fight + 10 or more sec to regen at least some engine power, yeah I'd call that punishment enough.

Sounds like a nerd rage. You are just angry that people avoid your kills - either intentionally or unintentionally (and if you can't believe that "unintentially" actually exist, then you have actively ignored my posts above).

If you were a team player, then you just wouldn't care about "avoided kills". And you'd acknowledge that there are far more important zimgs than that.

snip

Ok so you didn't get the "On the more serius note", I'm not angry at all, and not a kill hog, the first part was a joke, not an ironic rage or whatever, just for fun, you know, to make people laugh. The second part was serious, and I see nothing angry about that as well, just pointing out that those timers are enough punishment as it is and there is no need for anymore of it for those who self-destruct... are we clear now?

The day before yesterday I actively tried to evade & shake a following starfighter - and of course I used tzhe speed boost.

However, I used it into the wrong direction & crashed into something.

It never occurred to you PvP players that one could be just doing wrong things because of panicking ? Because of feeling frightened ? Kernel panic ?

If not, then it shows how little you know about human psychology.

i actively make people crash if they're sucky pilots close to things.

box em in, block off an angle, watch em turn away from my fire.. SMASH into a rock.

The more upgrades I get and the better I become, I notice that deaths become less enemy inflicted and more self inflicted. I die mabe 1-3 times a game and most of the times they are ill placed retro thrusts and not from someone shooting me down, the only time I intentionally suicide is when I'm out of rockets but that's very few times.

The penalty of zerging and awaiting a respawn timer seems enough to me.

I've self destructed a few times, some from hitting the wrong button at the wrong time, others from misjudging my wing span, and others from the over the top particle effects from the "explosions in space" completely obscuring view of anything for a few seconds and flying into something hidden in or behind the cloud.

Didn't see this thread, so made a secondary one (whoops). I agree, there should a bigger penalty for SDing. If I dogfight someone for 30 seconds, get them to <10 health and they take a turn right at an asteroid it's annoying. GIve more points toward the 1000 for a SD (like 5 or 10), give them -1 Kill on their own stats, or bump the respawn time up to like 30 seconds.