What happend to Cartel Coins in retail stores?

JimG

I thought they were going to sell Cartel Coin cards in Best Buy and Gamestop? Last I saw an official announcement on the forums, they said they would be available in time for the holidays. Edited by JimG

I actually can't recall seeing this; but it could work - though it would cost BW to have Cartel Cards or w/e made and shipped to stores rather than online.

I remember seeing this. Was planning on buying some as Christmas presents.

I remember seeing this. Was planning on buying some as Christmas presents.

Yeah, early on (like a couple weeks after the cartel market went live) there was a post on the SWTOR website about them coming soon to stores, and there would be unique pets as perks for buying them in stores (Best Buy and GameStop if I recall correctly). Then they pulled it and no further signs of it.

Just a guess.... the profit margin is higher if they sell them through the web site here, so there is limited incentive for them to sell them in stores (and yes I understand that some people don't have credit cards and/or won't use them to buy coins online). The cards if sold in stores go through at least two levels of transit on the way to the customer and each one want's it's cut from the sales price.

I'd still like them to create a physical form, even if it's just something you can order from the website. It'd be a fun thing to give out as prizes or stocking stuffers.

Yeah, I agree. Having a physical card is something that is easy to give as a gift to a friend, much like a game time card is.

Being old school, I still prefer actual game time cards to puchasing a 60 day one time play time on the SWTOR website.

• Dev Post

Hey everyone, wanted to pop in and clarify any confusion on this!

What we released previously is that Cartel Coins would be available for purchase across 6 countries in Europe. I believe that is the announcement everyone recalls seeing before.

However, if you are in North America, fear not! I spoke with our Marketing team and Cartel Coins should be available for purchase now'ish in both GameStop and BestBuy. From what they told me they will be rolling out to stores over the next couple of weeks. I would ask your local retailer for more information as they may not be available in all stores.

Hope that clears it up!

What we released previously is that Cartel Coins would be available for purchase across 6 countries in Europe. I believe that is the announcement everyone recalls seeing before.

This is what I was referencing, from the Help Center: http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6850

"Cartel Coin Cards are an alternative way of adding Cartel Coins to your account. If you do not wish to buy Cartel Coins directly through http://www.swtor.com/buy, then will soon have the possibility to purchase a Cartel Coin Card in-store from one of our retail partners in North America. Cartel Coin Cards will also make a wonderful gift for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ players.

Cartel Coin Cards will be available for sale to players in North America through BestBuy and GameStop soon."

This page has said that for awhile now. I thought I remember a posting somewhere that they would be available in time for the holidays but can't find that. Was just curiuous as I have a Best Buy gift card burning a hole in my pocket, lol.

This page has said that for awhile now. I thought I remember a posting somewhere that they would be available in time for the holidays but can't find that. Was just curiuous as I have a Best Buy gift card burning a hole in my pocket, lol.

Your memory matches mine. :)

Come to think of it... I don't think they said which holiday, so we all assumed it was Christmas 2012. Silly us. :p

However, if you are in North America, fear not! I spoke with our Marketing team and Cartel Coins should be available for purchase now'ish in both GameStop and BestBuy. From what they told me they will be rolling out to stores over the next couple of weeks. I would ask your local retailer for more information as they may not be available in all stores.

Hope that clears it up!

Why do France and Germany not get those too?

Hope that clears it up!

Tell us if the following information is correct and any additional information regarding how much they will cost, the pets, upgrading to preferred and what subscribers can expect to get for purchasing cartel coin cards:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me1x2fHbc41rq8bdvo1_500.png

• 2 weeks later...

That's good they're added them to stores. I'm trying to get my friends to get SW:TOR and not all of them are comfortable buying things online (Cartel Coins I mean.). So this is a good substitute if they want preffered status.

Edit: Wait, is there only the 20$ amount available?

Edited by NovaSpartanX

I indeed bought a Cartel Coins pack in Germany at the beginning of this month.

It contained 2400 Cartel Coins which had the price of almost 17 Euros.

Why do France and Germany not get those too?

I bought it at Gamestop. Saturn might have them as well.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I just went to the Gamestop by my house in Florida. And they have a sign for Cartel Coins but they don't know when there's getting them. They put the sign up less than a week ago. So if my Gamestop has a sign up then it should be selling soon.