Community Q&A Blog Discussion: June 29th, 2012

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its very frustrating to see the confusion of voidstar tie breakers completely ignored. he just started talkign about something else entirely and didnt mention anything about what happens when neither team makes it past the first door.

Did we really have a question asking if Expertise helped in any way in PVE? Really? I usually don't gripe, but are we going to have a question next week answering whether or not Agents/Smugglers/Commandos/Bounty Hunters can use lightsabers? /Facepalm

I like that they're implementing colour matching on companions. I'd also like to see 'hide the helmet' feature for companions too.

Another thing I wouldn't mind seeing is, the removal of specifics for gear, for example, a piece of medium gear, being only wearable by agent and sith warrior for example. What if I'd like to put that piece on my medium armour wearing companion? I can't right now...it's something I'd like to see change. :)

Edited by Lunafox

Did we really have a question asking if Expertise helped in any way in PVE? Really? I usually don't gripe, but are we going to have a question next week answering whether or not Agents/Smugglers/Commandos/Bounty Hunters can use lightsabers? /Facepalm

Yeah this question was a killer :p Actually the answer. We all didn't knew the basics MMO mechanics at some point but to waste an answer on this.

Edited by SnkByte

CelCawdro: What are your long-term plans for implementing playable species? Are Cathar merely the first of semi-regular species additions?

Daniel: Like all of our ongoing content updates, we’ll release Cathar into the wild and see how they perform. If new species are clearly popular we’ll keep them coming!

This answer confirms to me how hopelessly out of touch you are!

Yeah this question was a killer :p Actually the answer. We all didn't knew the basics MMO mechanics at some point but to waste an answer on this.

Its not an entirely unfounded question. If it has no effect on players in PvE, then what mechanic is in place to differentiate between when a player is healing a group for questing or a raid..... or in world PvP? This answer makes me question if the healing portion of expertise is only calculated upon entering a WZ or not because of this. If so world PvP becomes even LESS attractive than it already is.

Yeah, I asked that because I have some guildies that swear that being flagged in our Ops increases their healing when in comparable PvP gear. I was having a hard time believing that could be true so I put it out there. I suspect they will still thinks it works and is a bug, not working as Austin described.

JESUS can the developers give us an answer to where neither team gets the first door in voidstar? If it really is still just a cointoss then they must be absolutely stupid and overlooked this HUGE issue. Just give points for planting a bomb and the same point amount for diffusing. Then if it is still a tie give it based on kills or objective points. Is that so hard?!!!!! Edited by LexiCazam
Inappropriate content

Guild Wars 2 August 28th btw guys.

Rob Hinkle, I hope you read this, or any PvP dev. When asked a question able the voidstar ties, how about you go over how ties are determined, not the objectives of the warzone and how they work, completely dodging the question. Clearly taught how to dev pvp by Gabe.

The answer about LFG having been on the highly desired list is a complete and utter fabrication. Revisionist history.

From very early in game test, many many testers told you time and again that you needed the feature. You did nothing. In fact, you might have even said you didn't need it.

It wasn't until you finally got into live and saw the truth in your own telemetry data - that too few people were actually making it into flashpoints - that you decided to implement it.

Please don't come in here and tell us this feature was always high up on your list of features to implement. It wasn't. It was reactionary and a decision made after the game went live.

I feel incredibly insulted by Mr. Ohlen right now. Absolutely pathetic. :mad:

CelCawdro: What are your long-term plans for implementing playable species? Are Cathar merely the first of semi-regular species additions?

Daniel: Like all of our ongoing content updates, we’ll release Cathar into the wild and see how they perform. If new species are clearly popular we’ll keep them coming!

This answer confirms to me how hopelessly out of touch you are!

I really dont understand BW if that is there actual answer. We are going to introduce a new species, if everyone starts playing Cathar we will add more (because clearly they are happy with Cathar as a species and dont want any more) but if people dont want to play Cathar and are waiting for a species they do want to play then we wont add any more species(because they are clearly waiting on more species because they dont want to play Cathar) .

Personaly it looks as if I want to play a decent alien species I have to roll a Cathar to bump the popularity even though I dont want a Cathar, but I am sure if everyone does that we will get told they are not adding any more species because they clearly got it right first time and dont need to add any more in.

So am I to understand that if the Cathar don't become popular then they will interpret it as races not being popular? Why would't they interpret it as Cathar not being popular? I don't wanna be a friggin Cathar. I wanna be a wookie, or mon calamari, or rodian. But we won't get the chance unless enough people go Cathar?

When will players on Ajunta Pall be allowed to play the game again? You depopulated the server and gave us the option of die on the server and unsub or move to another Data Center on the East Coast. We were told be patient however 2 + weeks later and no response and the game is still unplayable. Yet Lord Calypho (thankfully someone actually cares about those customers) has been given multiple transfer options. How come we are not afford the same opportunity?

its very frustrating to see the confusion of voidstar tie breakers completely ignored. he just started talkign about something else entirely and didnt mention anything about what happens when neither team makes it past the first door.

Yes that is the main answer folks are looking for!!! We know how the other ties are broken. What about not making it past first door?

So am I to understand that if the Cathar don't become popular then they will interpret it as races not being popular? Why would't they interpret it as Cathar not being popular? I don't wanna be a friggin Cathar. I wanna be a wookie, or mon calamari, or rodian. But we won't get the chance unless enough people go Cathar?

We've been TOLD they're not going to make those races playable for romance reasons. EVER. :rolleyes:

JESUS can the developers give us an answer to where neither team gets the first door in voidstar? If it really is still just a cointoss then they must be absolutely stupid and overlooked this HUGE issue. Just give points for planting a bomb and the same point amount for diffusing. Then if it is still a tie give it based on kills or objective points. Is that so hard?!!!!!

Nah, it should be a cointoss.

Edited by Parali
bad quote

We've been TOLD they're not going to make those races playable for romance reasons. EVER. :rolleyes:

False. Not that I have much hope for Wookiee (since there are other circumstances surrounding them being playable), but:

- Directly addressing the "Chewie/Leia" quote, a year or so before release, if I recall:

Hey Folks,

Sorry for the confusion. Booth chat is, let's be clear, not an official information release. What you got was one line of an extended conversation that was had between me and one of the players at the booth. We started talking about what made a hero in Star Wars and then, once that was clear, there were some jokes about what the romances would look like had we gone for the toybox approach of letting you play anything in the action figure line. That's the part of the conversation the quote came from.

The first part was merely a repetition of something we've said before. Namely that lead characters in an RPG must be something the player can relate to. There has never been a movie or major Star Wars series with a complete freak job as the lead and that's because dramatically it doesn't work. We don't understand what it means to be a giant lizard or a droid or a walking ball of jelly. We love the weird characters but they are always the sidekicks, not the emotional connection in the movie. To do an RPG that way every NPC you ran into would have to react to you depending on their own cultural bias and the entire "into the strange" adventure that is Star Wars would be lost as you would be the strangest thing in the room. People would constantly be asking you for information about your weird species and their emotional content that the vast majority of players simply wouldn't have and their ability to really BE this character would be nil.

So whether it's Dragon Age, Mass Effect or The Old Republic, PCs are near enough to humans for us to crawl into their skin. They have generally understandable facial expressions, they don't look ludicrous speaking the basic language, they can interact with the rest of the galaxy without a constant "what the heck?" reaction from the NPCs. The freaks, the droids, the weird that we get to know and learn about--that's where our companions come in.

It's okay to turn to your companions and say "What are you supposed to be?" It's not okay to look in the mirror and say that.

In the future I can see a day where we would do a Trandoshan or Wookiee type story but it would have to be just that. Not a simple graphic swap where now your smuggler is a giant lizard man and nobody notices but a full class story where you learn what it means to be this strange alien and deal with the rest of the galaxy and their reactions. For the present, however, our heroes are our projections of self, headed into a galaxy of wonders and adventures.

I know that this isn't what some people want but I hope it helps them understand that game design isn't simply throwing random features into a game because they seem cool. You have to have a goal, a final holistic ideal that you're trying to hit. The Old Republic is, and always has been, about starring in your own version of a Star Wars movie. Not playing a background character from scene 5, not about living a humdrum day to day existence in the Star Wars worlds (there are no refreshers--sorry!) and not about pulling out the extended action figure line and getting to use it as virtual costume party. None of these are, by themselves, bad goals and could absolutely be fun in a very different sort of game. But in TOR they would work directly against what we were trying to achieve.

So did we limit species choice for romances? No. Did we limit them for our goal of bringing cinematic storytelling and the dream of living the Star Wars movies to the MMO space? Absolutely.

Hope that helps!

Daniel

- From Darth Hater, E3 2012

You talked yesterday about new species that are playable…

The Cathar is the first one, and what we’re going to start doing is really looking at how much interest there is in species. The Cathar will be the first we’re rolling out as they’ve always been popular. We have the stuff, and we know we wanted to do them. After that the hope is if people say “Oh yeah, this is really exciting here. We want to do this.” Then it becomes open to the community and we’ll say, “Hey, ok folks, what do you really want?” I think it’ll be an interesting plan. I think it’ll be really interesting to put the negatives right out there for people to see. Understand that if you demand a species that does not speak English and is made out of Jello, these are going to be the problems that it brings to you. And if people say “that’s what we want more than anything else,” then at this point it is community power.

Edited by CelCawdro

Nah, it should be a cointoss.

In unranked, a cointoss is perfectly fair.

What we need to know is how it works in ranked matches. A cointoss that can cause you to lose ranking is complete ********. Some have speculated that the higher rank team should lose the toss, and this makes sense, but the Q&A failed miserably at answering this question that we have all been wanting to know the answer to.

They must not read the pvp forum, there are like 3 threads on there of people losing ranking from voidstar ties.

Edited by Parali
avoiding language filter