Shadow tank % questions

Dorowena

I am new to 70 and i would like to know what raid evasion others have. For some reason i have an ilvl of 230 and i am still getting hit kinda hard. Might be because i do not have all the dynamics of all the fights down, as of yet, or something else... but i was curious about hp/absorb/defense % and stuff. If there is a link that i have not found yet... please link it so i could look up and try to gear according.

Fyi; i am a new 70 so just trying to get tier1 stuff... and with tier1 stuff could i do veteran flashpoints?

Ilvl230-

accuracy 111.00%

Health 101327

armor rating 10205

damage reduction 40.70%

defense chance 36.55%

shield chance 60.21%

shield absorption 31.35%

Think this will be set enough for master flash points?

Edited by Dorowena
add my info

As an assassin/ shadow tank knowing your rotation and defensive abilities is critical. I would suggest you go to Dulfy as a start and read the guide over to get going. Then work on getting the gear along with augments and stims.

I have been an assassin/ shadow tank for many years and once you have it down it's a really fun profession.

But if you ain't got the rotation down then it will be real rough.

As an assassin/ shadow tank knowing your rotation and defensive abilities is critical. I would suggest you go to Dulfy as a start and read the guide over to get going. Then work on getting the gear along with augments and stims.

I have been an assassin/ shadow tank for many years and once you have it down it's a really fun profession.

But if you ain't got the rotation down then it will be real rough.

This has nothing to do with the questions. Please read before posting

I am new to 70 and i would like to know what raid evasion others have. For some reason i have an ilvl of 230 and i am still getting hit kinda hard. Might be because i do not have all the dynamics of all the fights down, as of yet, or something else... but i was curious about hp/absorb/defense % and stuff. If there is a link that i have not found yet... please link it so i could look up and try to gear according.

Fyi; i am a new 70 so just trying to get tier1 stuff... and with tier1 stuff could i do veteran flashpoints?

SHORT answer: buy the survivor gear and with the bastion implants and earpiece. use relic of fortunate readout and reactive warding. Put all your augments in absorb. Its not perfect and as you gain experience and learn the fights you can tweek it.

LONG answer: Tankasins have a lot going for them BUT its a very loaded question. a lot of people have multiple sets. IE A HIGH sheilding set for some fights and a HIGH absorb set for some fights. I also have a endurance set for a few fights I believe the extra endurance helps out. I have been a tankasin since 1.2 and the many changes make it very complicated. Unlike the heavy armour tank classes it a whole different relm of tanking due to the shadows cooldowns. Because you will have certain fights where with the right cooldown and adrenal you will be temporarily invincible. Other fights you will nearly be oneshotted, its a balance thing. communication with healers is needed so they don't continuously over heal you during a boss fight. If your looking as numbers guy read what keyboard ninja has done for number crunching. Its hard to get the perfect optimal stat since the devs have changed what defensive stats are in enhancements. The new augments have also given stat changes. My point is the class is harder to master than the other two tanking classes. As a jug tank there are many fights you can just take it in the shorts and survive. Sin is different, there is a learning curve you have to go through to become a good sin tank. PT tanking is almost idiot proof, Jug tanking is easy, sin tanking takes skill.

GOOD LUCK

a veteran shadowtank

I currently have 3321 defense, 1298 absorb rating, 2442 shield rating, that puts me at 38.15% defense chance, 49.74% shield chance, 45.90% shield absorption and 135523 HP. Not full 248 gear but close to it. Game says 247 item rating.

I think that's close to as good as possible at the moment. May be could even drop some Defense Mods for Power mods as my defense is probably too high.

I currently have 3321 defense, 1298 absorb rating, 2442 shield rating, that puts me at 38.15% defense chance, 49.74% shield chance, 45.90% shield absorption and 135523 HP. Not full 248 gear but close to it. Game says 247 item rating.

I think that's close to as good as possible at the moment. May be could even drop some Defense Mods for Power mods as my defense is probably too high.

Thank you so much!!!!

Ilvl230-

accuracy 111.00%

Health 101327

armor rating 10205

damage reduction 40.70%

defense chance 36.55%

shield chance 60.21%

shield absorption 31.35%

Edited by Dorowena
add my info

This has nothing to do with the questions. Please read before posting

Maybe he didn't answer the exact question you asked, but he answered the question you should be asking. Your gear is fine, and with bolster in FPs and SM OPS, you should simply not be worried about gear. You should however, be worried about your rotation (shadows get a huge amount of mitigation through their rotation) and dcd usage (which honestly don't matter that much for fps and sm OPS if you are using a shadow if you have a good rotation).

You came here asking for advice, which is awesome and you should definitely do that. Just don't fall into the trap of gear meaning that much when it comes to content, and refusing advice on your actual gameplay. I've seen way too many good players who get hung up on gear, or being convinced that their rotation is perfect, and it very rarely ends well for them.

Maybe he didn't answer the exact question you asked, but ..../QUOTE]

Q: Do you want salt or pepper?

A: Tangerines! - Answering a question with a random saying makes you come off as a tard.

There is a lot of information on rotations, there is even more about it than i want to read. There is NONE on the % .

I asked about the % not tangerines, so please stay on topic and could i ask what your % numbers are?

If not please do not reply

All tanks gearing is kinda personal preference. I wud tho highly recommend at least 2000 shield and 1400 absorb. Also for modds i woud run the warding B mods until u r comfortable with the class the switch them out for lethal B mods. For relics i wud recommend the focused retribution and shrouded crusader.

Have you tried just going in there and winging it?

You should find your answer pretty fast.

That's how I do things anyway.

There is no universal answer really. Some players make things work never thought possible by others.

In the end it is the player that makes the difference. Not so much the gear.

I think 230 is probably above the bare minimum for any form of 5man content.

Edited by Evolixe

Maybe he didn't answer the exact question you asked, but ..../QUOTE]

Q: Do you want salt or pepper?

A: Tangerines! - Answering a question with a random saying makes you come off as a tard.

There is a lot of information on rotations, there is even more about it than i want to read. There is NONE on the % .

I asked about the % not tangerines, so please stay on topic and could i ask what your % numbers are?

If not please do not reply

dude, I see your point. THAT WASN'T YOUR QUESTION. But,Your ripping a guy who is trying to tell you WHY you are dying. Its not your gear. It's your lack of knowledge. Unlike other MMO's where tanking is all blocking and taunting with a few mechanics, tanking in swtor is very active. Its not hard to loose agro or die from a pooly understood mechanic in this game. He was trying to help you avoid the embaresment of being kicked from group because they dubbed you a bad tank. With bolters in his game stats mean jack. When you get to HM/Vet/NIM ( if ever.....) stats are more important, just remember those raid groups expect you to have the fight mechanics mastered before you join them. just a thought I leave you to think about.

cheers

A veteran shadowtank

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow tanking requires the most skill, of the three tanking classes (not counting mirrors); this is why the first poster pointed out your skill deficit because your gear is not the most important factor for "easy" content. A deception assassin with a shield generator can tank most master mode FP, providing the healer is competent and the assassin is also competent.

Stats values are not really important if you are not looking at NiM raiding and 248 gear rating. The most important thing that you need is the 6 piece tank set bonus and a shield generator.

The game is not hard to the point where you need to be crunching numbers to be effective. The numbers crunching comes in to play for Ranked PvP and master Mode Operators - - and if you suk, skill-wise.

As a matter of stats, I only use one set of gear for NiM. Some might say it's not enough, but I do well with it so I don't really need more.

I'm trying to always stay above 55% of shield, I dump the rest of my stats into absorb (60% if I recall). With the new augments you'll receive plenty of Endurance as a bonus so there isn't really a need for that anymore. I try to avoid Defense rating as much as possible because of how useless it is 80% of the time. As such, I use LethalB mods instead of the standard one, for the extra hp and power they give. Note that I'm also using a dps saber as well as one critical implant (the other one is a tank one) so if you're just going for raw tanking you will definitely go above my stats. I don't recommend using those dps pieces until you really know what you're doing. Sin tanks can cheese most of the incoming damage when they know how to play, but it's hard. For the moment, you'll be better by using a full tank gear for now. Try to invest into those new augments asap, the endurance bonus is important when you'll be going into HM ops later. :)

Some other tips : watch out for your utility configuration, and know what every ability does. Most of them have multiple effects, learn all of them.

Edited by supertimtaf

Hey, as others said you could tank veteran and master flashpoints in less gear, even at sub-70 (except probably LI). (Recent events: I've tanked Manaan almost butt naked because I forgot to get my legacy gear before zoning in :p) Gear matters very little in what you're looking at due to the generous bolster, and you don't need to start nitpicking unless you want to start raiding at HM and NiM. Set bonus pieces from Unassembled vendors and Galactic Command will do just fine.

I'm still gearing and it's all over the place, hunting down 248 set bonus pieces and high endurance mods especially but here are my numbers since you like them so much (ilvl 248):

Health: 133084

Armour rating: 11000

Damage Reduction: 42.46%

Defence Chance: 38.96%

Shield Chance: 45.90%

Shield Absorption: 47.90%

That being said, every tank is a special snowflake and finds different ways to make their gear work. However, Shadow and assassin tanks are especially dependent on the proper usage of defensive cooldowns so if you can't make that work, being geared isn't going to help you. If you are 'still getting hit kinda hard' then there's definitely something you're missing out on in terms of rotation. More so than other tank classes you need to know fights very well, especially since you don't have so much passive mitigation so you will need to know occasions on which you could use a specific DCD. You could get even more DCDs with some clicky relics and utilities but since you're adamant on not talking about that, I'll stop there.

Thank you so much!!!!

Ilvl230-

accuracy 111.00%

Health 101327

armor rating 10205

damage reduction 40.70%

defense chance 36.55%

shield chance 60.21%

shield absorption 31.35%

Just saw your stats

31% absorption is just not enough.

As an indication, shield stat increase the number of time where you'll reduce the damage of a Force/Tech attack (almost every boss in this game has a Force or Tech burst)

Having 50% is nice, don't forget that Kinetic Ward gives you plenty of Shield rating, so you don't need to put as much as you would need on the other tank.

Your absorption is too low and it explains why you are taking so much damage.

As a reminder, your absorb rating indicates by how much a shielded attack will be reduced when it hits you.

Right now with those stats you don't mitigate enough when hit by a spike damage and that's the issue. Dump 10% of your shield rating into your absorb stat and you'll be way better at tanking for now.

Edited by supertimtaf

• 1 month later...

In regard to this thread, how do my percentages look?

Item rating 240

Health 121525

Armor rating 10715

Damage reduction 41.84%

Defense chance 38.62%

Shield chance 38.00%

Shield absorb 55.28%

I'm running a mix of shield and absorb augments, with Serendipitous Assault, and Focused Retribution relics with absorb augs. Am I missing something? Seem to be taking some good damage at times.

Thanks

Edited by The_Unknown

In regard to this thread, how do my percentages look?

Item rating 240

Health 121525

Armor rating 10715

Damage reduction 41.84%

Defense chance 38.62%

Shield chance 38.00%

Shield absorb 55.28%

I'm running a mix of shield and absorb augments, with Serendipitous Assault, and Focused Retribution relics with absorb augs. Am I missing something? Seem to be taking some good damage at times.

Thanks

You'll want a much higher shield chance then you have. Probably swap 1 or 2 absorb enhancements or augments to shield. The problem with what you have now is that when you shield, you won't take a lot of damage, but you won't shield as much as you should, so you will take a lot of spiky damage. (Absorb is how much damage you don't take when you shield, so a high absorb is useless without a decent amount of shield).

You'll want a much higher shield chance then you have. Probably swap 1 or 2 absorb enhancements or augments to shield. The problem with what you have now is that when you shield, you won't take a lot of damage, but you won't shield as much as you should, so you will take a lot of spiky damage. (Absorb is how much damage you don't take when you shield, so a high absorb is useless without a decent amount of shield).

Cool, thanks, I will have to switch things around a little and see how that helps.

@OP going to make an assumption you know your class here. I personally have tanked master FPS and every single story mode operation in dps gear tank spec with a shield generator. It’s not hard and I e had zero deaths. But if you really want to know numbers. For hard mode brontes i cleared with 56.51% shield and 52.34% zero deaths clear it first time every tme