With the new level cap coming, can we expect this class to finally be balanced?

Slicksteezin

Just came to my mind when i read the update for a new level cap in the expansion. Obviously a new level cap is going to require a rebalancing of all the classes both PvE and PVP wise.

This is an opportunity for Bioware to get things straight with class balancing which is regarded as one of the biggest issues with this game at the moment. I hope they realize the outcome will weigh heavy.

PVP wise, its been a good 9 months since this class has gone without seeing a bright day. We all know this and have talked about it, debated about it, were all tired of it. And at this point it seems the TOR community as a whole has agreed on the general concensous that merc PVP is broken. Which does not happen often my friends.

So, what do you think? its already long overdue, and for me at least, Will be the ice-breaker on whether i will continue to financially support EAware.

Not trolling, not trying to be critical - Just being an honest long-time customer who is tired of feeling cheated.

Edited by Slicksteezin

I know what you mean. In reality however, I'd be surprised to see anything more than a new 33 point active ability, and increased costs for the skills that already exist in order to prevent some insane hybrids.

BW did say each AC will get a new active skill. Whether that comes from the trainer or talent trees remains to be seen.

Actually it's 2-3 new talents per tree...trees will have a 36 point ability now.

Yup. The challenge from a design standpoint is how do you make that 36 pt ability worth getting instead of a super-powered hybrid? The only way is to make the 36 pt ability even more powerful. Which leads to the question of how lev 50s will compete vs. lev 55's in PvP. At least it won't take much time to grind from 50 to 55...

Actually it's 2-3 new talents per tree...trees will have a 36 point ability now.

Is there a dev source for this? All I could find was this:

We know you're all very interested to hear about how the new level cap is going to affect your class, and I wanted to share a little information about the upcoming changes with you. As part of the new content, every skill tree will be expanding and you can expect significant updates. Players will earn a new skill point with each level, and new skills will be available in each skill tree. Additionally, a new active ability will be introduced for each Advanced Class. We'll have more details about many aspects of Rise of the Hutt Cartel as we approach launch, so keep your eyes on the website and dev tracker!

I'd be really interested in reading any other discussions from devs about the proposed skill tree revamps.

I'm hopeful, but I honestly don't think it's going to fix our problems in PVP. The problem is, IF the new ability is the fix to our class, we would then be performing at the level we should have been BEFORE the increased level cap. The other classes that are already performing efficiently will also get a new ability, and will be stronger than they are now. So, the way I see it, we're likely to be left behind again. But that's only if they don't make any other positive adjustments to our class; of they make the right changes along with the new ability, then I can see mercs/mandos bring fixed.

Not really, no. Do they need another kiting tool? Maybe. But broken? Ha.

Hm you wouldn't consider a class that is for the most part completely disregarded for Ranked PVP broken? Regardless if it's mobility/utility/damage, the class is far behind in PVP.

So yes, it's broken

The skill trees will need significant overhaul, or all classes will need to benefit from 5 points of purely vertical growth, for Mercenary to be balanced at a 55 level cap.

There are very few extraneous points in the lower tiers that will provide significant improvement to any spec for Merc, whilst many of the already-stronger DPS classes (PT, Marauder, Sniper in particular) have very good options sitting and waiting for more talent points.

If they do something as silly as adding in new unique abilities from the class vendors and add 5 points to existing skill trees, Merc is going to be in very sorry shape (starting to fall behind in PVE, still awful in PVP).

We were nerfed because people couldn't find the time to hit the interrupt button...we won't see an increase in class performance because a balanced ranged class put in the hands of a highly skilled player would cause tears to flow from the throng of jedi loving loonies that smash their faces on keyboards. Sadly the changes that need to be made to allow this class to compete in the rated bracket would make us seem OP in the moron bracket.