Galactic Star Fighter first impressions ...

Zenflyer

It's bad, really bad. Controls are clunky, flight models are ropey at best and weapon control, sorry but that is just a complete joke. I've been playing flight/space sims since X-Wing Fighter on the ZX Spectrum! And I know GSF isn't meant to be in any way a Simulator, but there is so much potential for a good gaming experience to be had that it seems like such a waste if this is how it's meant to be as in final release.

The gameplay is as bad as Wargaming's failure "World of Warplanes!" And that's a big turn off for me the gameplay in GSF is soo reminiscent that I've played one match and will not be playing it ever again! And that was pretty my much my experience with WOWP!

I've played and can play the likes of "Il-2 Sturmovik", "FSX", the aircraft and heli's in "ARMA 2/3" and "Warthunder" with mouse and keyboard but this GSF is just counter intuitive. Why for instance is the aim point moveable like it's a turret but the gun's are actually fixed in place? Why do I not have gun convergence? Issues like those I've just stated are a real turn off, I might try it again in six months but I doubt it. EA/Bioware do yourselves a favour and look at other flight/space sims, other than the crap fest that is World of Warplanes for inspiration!

Edited by Zenflyer

A lot of us had that initial reaction, especially those of us that grew up on X-wing and TIE Fighter.

But believe me... once it clicks for you, it's a blast--and your spatial awareness and experience with power/shield management from X-wing will serve you well. One key thing is to turn down your mouse sensitivity--that helps a lot.

As for weapons, they aren't entirely fixed--they have a little play within a "firing arc". This is actually canon from the movies--remember Darth Vader's TIE's lasers shifting right from center in order to nail an X-wing?

All I can say (beyond turning down your mouse sensitivity) is be patient and give it a longer period of evaluation. Almost all of the GSF "aces" are people who grew up on X-wing and TIE Fighter and Wing Commander. Yes, the controls in this game are different and take getting used to, but once you do, it really starts to feel familiar and fun. There is a learning curve, but it's worth it.

That being said, if you're set in your opinion after one try, there's not much I can do to change your mind.

I understand man. In the absence of a modern successor to X-Wing etc., and with SWG space combat just a glorious memory... this is what we have. I hated it at first, but I realized that my expectations were just way out of line. Of course this isn't going to be TIE Fighter Part Two, it's built on (and rather better run than) some other "flight" games out there right now. Check your space sim high horse at the stall outside... right next to mine and every other old school pilots. On a certain level, it works, and is quite enjoyable. But it sure as hell didn't start that way. Give it time and you'll have fun with it, or... ya know, don't. That's cool too. Dunno what else yer gunna fly though, Star Citizen isn't out yet, and the new X game is (as always is the case) still riddled with game-stoppers.

That said, GOG has a lot of the old wing commander games updated to work on modern machines... could take a spin in WC4 with Maniac and Blair. :D

So... yeah. There it is.

Thanks for the reply Nemarus, and the tips but I suppose I could give it a few more try's but it's that WOWP feeling that's really not allowing me to get into the game and it's gameplay. I know we also shouldn't have TIE fighters and X-Wings but perhaps we could see their ancestor's as in the earliest form's of their development? Say a fighter that you look at and although it's not an X-Wing but you could definitely see the beginnings of the X-Wing there ...

First impressions do count the gaming world and for me that was such a shock to the system as I was playing it that I was saying in my head "World of Warplanes, World of Warplanes, World of Warplanes, bad, bad, bad!" I was trying to use my old zoom and tactics, but the whole match was just a turning furball of a dogfight that tactics was pretty much useless.

To me all the fighters felt and flew the same and what I saw of the enemy fighters was pretty much the same. Not one of three that I had, had a unique feel and style of flying. It just felt like a boring level playing field were it was more luck than skill involved in getting on someone's six and taking them out ...

Edited by Zenflyer

Thanks for the reply Nemarus, and the tips but I suppose I could give it a few more try's but it's that WOWP feeling that's really not allowing me to get into the game and it's gameplay. I know we also shouldn't have TIE fighters and X-Wings but perhaps we could see their ancestor's as in the earliest form's of their development? Say a fighter that you look at and although it's not an X-Wing but you could definitely see the beginnings of the X-Wing there ...

First impressions do count the gaming world and for me that was such a shock to the system as I was playing it that I was saying in my head "World of Warplanes, World of Warplanes, World of Warplanes, bad, bad, bad!" I was trying to use my old zoom and tactics, but the whole match was just a turning furball of a dogfight that tactics was pretty much useless.

To me all the fighters felt and flew the same and what I saw of the enemy fighters was pretty much the same. Not one of three that I had, had a unique feel and style of flying. It just felt like a boring level playing field were it was more luck than skill involved in getting on someone's six and taking them out ...

Which side were you on? A lot of the fighters actually do have visual elements in common with classic era fighters.

Take a look at the Imperial Sting, which is very TIE-fighter-esque. The Republic NovaDrive is like a Z-95, the Flashfire is like a A-wing. The StarGuard and Pike both have X-wing elements, and the Quarrel has a Y-wing cockpit and engine.

Even the Imperial Gunships look a bit like old Imperial Assault Gunboats.

However, the Rycer and Quell really do not look like anything we recognize.

It's this way because people are willing to settle for it. I'm not much of one for settling for something that I find atrocious. It would have to be, at the very least, average. It falls way short of average for me. Average would be something that had the basic controls of the original X-Wing game, and the swtor devs couldn't even do something better than that easy to play game. A game that the majority of space fans would have rather had added to swtor over this horrible mode.

The sooner this current model dies, the sooner they give us what we want, or watch it become as unused as their former excuse for space combat.

They could have had a much more popular mini game, and pleased a lot more people than are currently playing it. They made bad design choices, and they'll need to redo much of it to draw in most of the former players who really wanted something more familiar. Something that doesn't have ridiculous mmo powers that fly your ship for you, or make blaster fire miss you even if they're dead on accurate.

It's this way because people are willing to settle for it. I'm not much of one for settling for something that I find atrocious. It would have to be, at the very least, average. It falls way short of average for me. Average would be something that had the basic controls of the original X-Wing game, and the swtor devs couldn't even do something better than that easy to play game. A game that the majority of space fans would have rather had added to swtor over this horrible mode.

The sooner this current model dies, the sooner they give us what we want, or watch it become as unused as their former excuse for space combat.

They could have had a much more popular mini game, and pleased a lot more people than are currently playing it. They made bad design choices, and they'll need to redo much of it to draw in most of the former players who really wanted something more familiar. Something that doesn't have ridiculous mmo powers that fly your ship for you, or make blaster fire miss you even if they're dead on accurate.

Easy to play does little to separate those with flying skill from those without.

Oh and if you don't like it, I am kinda curious why you are here on its forums? Do you really think they are gonna scrap it and make a new one?

Oh and it is WAY better than a rail PvE dumb POS mini-game.

Easy to play does little to separate those with flying skill from those without.

Oh and if you don't like it, I am kinda curious why you are here on its forums? Do you really think they are gonna scrap it and make a new one?

Oh and it is WAY better than a rail PvE dumb POS mini-game.

He is here because the mere existence of the queue button on the minimap offends him so much.

It was the Rycer and Quell I was flying mostly ...

You need to try the scout. Strike fighters are lacking at the moment, and a gunship will make you everyone's punching bag and you won't learn piloting at all (its meant to be played as a static sniper). Blackbolt is good to start with, but save fleet requisition for a sting and get one as soon as you can. Use your speed (barrel roll engine, and use space for bursts of speed) to get close to enemies, then kill them with burst laser, its the most powerful weapon at the moment. When you get to that point, everything else will fall into place. Been though it myself (including the 'meh' phase after the first few games)

The tutorial is lacking depth, a 5 minute space flight is not enough with just the ingame Codex to read, perhaps a voiced tutorial further down the line would be more ideal for me. A 5 minute flight getting you used to the basics of spaceflight, followed by further tutorial missions taking you through weapons, targeting, shields etc, which when finished would give you some reward for doing it. Either a basic, couple of thousand, cred reward or one or two low grad mods to get you started?

I've done it three times now and still fecking in the bleedin dark. And this is from a man who can start up, take off and fly an A-10 Thunderbolt from cold ... Oo ... Looks like I'm going to have change the default key settings as they're not intuitive for me. And yes the protip about my mouse sensitivity was a real gold nugget! :cool: Thanks guys! :D

Edited by Zenflyer

Yeah it's hard to begin with.... I felt cheated that I mananged no kills whatsoever in the first few - or even 1/2 dozen -games, even after the PTS.... But stick with it. If you're on a PVE sever it's roller-coaster - coz most people want to have fun, and not top the leaderboard all the time. - Come join us on the Prigenitor....Its probably pretty tame comprared to the PvP servers, but every game is over in 5 mins, and you get XP, credits and req at the same time AND the daily and weekly soon add up. - If you're new, fly close so somone who is a veterean..... And soon you'll be at least mid-table and scoring kills and objectives of your own!

Take heart,

SC

While that is a good point on First Impressions, Nemarus is correct: keep flying, and the subtleties in the gameplay WILL manifest themselves.

Because yes, tactics plays a huge role in the game, as does player skill (it's about the biggest factor).

And the fact is there is a MASSIVE difference between the different ship roles. If you think they feel and fly the same, you haven't done it enough.

It's bad, really bad. Controls are clunky, flight models are ropey at best and weapon control, sorry but that is just a complete joke. I've been playing flight/space sims since X-Wing Fighter on the ZX Spectrum! And I know GSF isn't meant to be in any way a Simulator, but there is so much potential for a good gaming experience to be had that it seems like such a waste if this is how it's meant to be as in final release.

The gameplay is as bad as Wargaming's failure "World of Warplanes!" And that's a big turn off for me the gameplay in GSF is soo reminiscent that I've played one match and will not be playing it ever again! And that was pretty my much my experience with WOWP!

I've played and can play the likes of "Il-2 Sturmovik", "FSX", the aircraft and heli's in "ARMA 2/3" and "Warthunder" with mouse and keyboard but this GSF is just counter intuitive. Why for instance is the aim point moveable like it's a turret but the gun's are actually fixed in place? Why do I not have gun convergence? Issues like those I've just stated are a real turn off, I might try it again in six months but I doubt it. EA/Bioware do yourselves a favour and look at other flight/space sims, other than the crap fest that is World of Warplanes for inspiration!

You just started. Your ship still sucks.

I've done it three times now and still fecking in the bleedin dark. And this is from a man who can start up, take off and fly an A-10 Thunderbolt from cold ... Oo ... Looks like I'm going to have change the default key settings as they're not intuitive for me. And yes the protip about my mouse sensitivity was a real gold nugget! :cool: Thanks guys! :D

If you're playing DCS World GSF is never going to come even remotely close in quality. For that matter graphics aside, it's unlikely to match previous Star Wars PC titles when it comes to space combat. I'm interested to see how it will compare to Disney's upcoming effort, which is of all things, browser based. Google Chrome as your game engine? Well, apparently so. The scary part is that it could wind up being better than GSF.

Besides, there's Star Citizen. If they stay on schedule, less than 24 months until every other space sim ever made can be dumped into the bin labeled, "lame in comparison." I just hope minimum system requirements don't wind up creeping past what my current computer has.

Oh, a note on GSF ships. Your upgrade choices can have a huge impact on how a ship feels. You can have strikers almost as fast or as nimble (but not both) as a stock scout. Depending on upgrades you can also have a stock scout that's not much faster than a stock strike fighter. On the whole, specialized builds tend to pay off more than generalist ones. If your ship isn't the best, or close to the best, in at least one of these areas: mobility, maneuverability, or burst damage you're probably going to struggle. And remember to match your flying style to the strengths(and weaknesses) of your ship.

Edited by Ramalina

• 5 weeks later...

my first impression was on the pts before even subs got it in dec and it was crazy took me awile to get control of the ship it was a strike and I met some good friends I fly with now there even i transferred servers ater playing a year to hang out with them I liked flying so much I had to find like minded people to fly with when I got to pot-5 there wasn't much in the way of gsf focused guilds but it was still early in it. Me and Nixx came up with the idea of building a guild for us since we could not find one at the time we were both Imp players that loved the look of the republic ships.So next thing you know Black Squadron was born and the gsf life of pot-5 took a life of its own we worked hard to build a home or what we call home for us and the close friends we have picked up along the way.It has been a lot of fun and hard fought fights and yes we have been face rolled so so so many times we didn't even try to keep count of it.As time went on we got better as a whole because we talked and worked together to figure out what did what and when to use abiltys .After some time we had accomplished what we had set out to do we had not only became a effective fighting force on the field of battle but very close friends from all over as far as sweeden shoot out scrab.We love gsf whole heartedly and no we are not the elite hard core players that some think we are we are laid back love the great fights not the easy face rolling ones that are 3 caps with no points on the boards but the hard fought on the edge of your seats where your fingers are falling of and you kill your mouse fights . So I say to all of you new pilots and even some of the older players at this point don't get discourged. You will get better if you want too and once you do it is like a different world and a rush like no other.So stick with it and ask questions and don't be afraid to try something different even if it is aginst the grain and not the fotm way to fly enjoy your game time and the people you play with other wise why are you playing

to all of the ones who have died in this game to make this possible we salute you

your's truly

Lytewraith GM Black Squadron

Edited by Lytewraith
misspell