Is it worth it to hunt all the Datacrons at 50?

Takkersf

So yes, I was very noob and didn't collect any datacrons on my journey up to 50. Now I'm going back and collected the datacrons I missed and trying to get a little ahead on my other character I'm leveling.

In a word, is it worth it? Any advice?

-T

Presence, Endurance, and your class's attribute are always nice to increase. If you don't have better yet, the matrix shards make good relics.

If you can beat Super Mario, they're not that hard to get to. There seems to be much less Super Mario action required on the Empire side of things.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5818825&postcount=141 has a nice breakdown of how much effect they have. Though it depends a bit on what gear you have, the overal increase in damage or healing won't be more than a percent, if that much. If you already do have a couple, then the ones you haven't grabbed yet will have even less effect, so you might opt out from some of the more frustrating ones without noticing any difference in your performance.

Datacrons are more something for explorers or completionists, they are definitely not required in any way to be viable for endgame content.

After getting all the tech based datacrons (aim and cunning), I went up something like 40-50 bonus damage points. On top of that, endurance (for your health) and presence (for your companions) is very important. Even for PVP this makes a difference. Don't skip over them. Only baddies do that.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5818825&postcount=141 has a nice breakdown of how much effect they have. Though it depends a bit on what gear you have, the overal increase in damage or healing won't be more than a percent, if that much. If you already do have a couple, then the ones you haven't grabbed yet will have even less effect, so you might opt out from some of the more frustrating ones without noticing any difference in your performance.

Datacrons are more something for explorers or completionists, they are definitely not required in any way to be viable for endgame content.

This is the right answer. I have 'discovered' all the datacrons on multiple characters but unlike the poster right below the quote said, people who don't grab the datacrons are NOT baddies. They do take time and in some cases are a pain to get and not everyone wants to invest that time for what is at best a 1% increase in performance.

Datacrons can be fun to get but they have no significant impact to the game or how it plays. Anyone that tells you differently, they are the baddie.

Edited by uziforyou

I would say do your datacron hunt once you hit 50. Its so much easier to get around without being killed. Some say just get what you need but I say get all. You get +40 to your stats and you get the shards to make your relic. Its fun getting them and you cn get all in a strong day if you really wanted.

This is the right answer. I have 'discovered' all the datacrons on multiple characters but unlike the poster right below the quote said, people who don't grab the datacrons are NOT baddies. They do take time and in some cases are a pain to get and not everyone wants to invest that time for what is at best a 1% increase in performance.

Datacrons can be fun to get but they have no significant impact to the game or how it plays. Anyone that tells you differently, they are the baddie.

Cry harder because you can't play Mario with the datacrons.

:p

Think of the amount of effort you put into to go from 61 gear to 63 gear. Then stop and look at how many total stats you gained from the upgrade. Then compare that to what getting all the datacrons relevant to your class would give you.

Last I checked, i figured a full set of datacrons being about equal to upgrading 1/3 of your gear a tier.

Heh. In the beginning, they said the 'crons were rewards for "exploring". They never said they were rewards for "jumping accurately through latency while overcoming our poorly performing third party engine". :rolleyes:

Edited by DarthTHC

Heh. In the beginning, they said the 'crons were rewards for "exploring". They never said they were rewards for "jumping accurately through latency while overcoming our poorly performing third party engine". :rolleyes:

It took me three million tries to get one of the datacrons, but I worked to get it. And now my stats are better for it.

:cool:

If you can get them while you level it's much easier and less stressful cuz every planet chain takes you near them.

If you wait until 50 I'd say get your Endurance and your Primary for sure and then when you're bored get the others.

Then you get uziforyou, who says you're bad if you think they make a difference, which is a pathetic attitude and flat-out wrong. Cuz if an extra 400 health did NOT make any difference then why do people spend 700k upgrading their blue augments to purple ones for the extra 280 health? You get MORE stat bonuses getting datacrons then upgrading all your gear from blue to purple augments, they're free, and 90% are so stupidly easy to get.

People will grind and grind and grind dailies over and over to get money to buy augments and/or spend insane amounts of time crafting them but they kick and scream about going out and picking up a box on the ground? It's mind-boggling.

TL;DR - Get them while you level if you can, but also get them at 50 if you didn't.

PS - People always seem to complain most about jumping on boxes. There are only a few that require this yet somehow that means they all require jumping? It's stupid to think that. Most you just walk around a corner and pick them up.

Edited by PetFish

I have fond memories of leveling my first character and either hearing the datacron hum or seeing the beam of light. I would then proceed to spend eternity trying to find the way to said datacron then successfully doing all the platforming involved ... only to have my hopes dashed to find out that datacron grants a stat that is useless to me.

It took me three million tries to get one of the datacrons, but I worked to get it. And now my stats are better for it.

:cool:

Which one?

The toughest one for me has always been that one in the Republic Taris bonus quest area. For some reason I can never make one of the jumps.

I get the harder ones only on characters I plan to play long-term. If I'm just there for the story and then to shelf/craft with the character, there's little point. (Well, maybe in the incremental Presence, but meh.)

I have fond memories of leveling my first character and either hearing the datacron hum or seeing the beam of light. I would then proceed to spend eternity trying to find the way to said datacron then successfully doing all the platforming involved ... only to have my hopes dashed to find out that datacron grants a stat that is useless to me.

Hint: You can tell its stat by the color of light it radiates... :p

• Dev Post
I would say do your datacron hunt once you hit 50. Its so much easier to get around without being killed. Some say just get what you need but I say get all. You get +40 to your stats and you get the shards to make your relic. Its fun getting them and you cn get all in a strong day if you really wanted.

I think this sums it up nicely! No reason to not go back and grab them. Extra stats are always nice and if you are the explorer type, I cannot express how much fun these are to get.

When I got them on my Juggernaut I dedicated a day to getting them in duo with a friend playing a Sorcerer. The mix of platforming, Intercede, and Extrication is roughly the most entertaining thing ever.

:rak_03:

My merc is at 43 right now, I think I got maybe 2 of them. Aim on hutta and whichever one is on Dromuund Kaas on the ledge above the Revanite area (End, I think).

That's about it, and I'm not really suffering any ill effects. I'm sorry, but some of those things are entirely too time consuming and infuriating to get to (imo).

What can I say, I'd rather be hunting scum or killing the Empire's enemies than playing armored parkour around the rooftops of Tatooine. Referring to the Cunning one here - whoever put that there is just evil;)

Edited by Stressfire

lol, dude your age is showing. The era of platformers are dead and gone. In a few more years, there will be an even smaller population of gamers capable of platforming. If the datacrons required a team deathmatch fps style approach to get them; everyone would have them IMO.

Bioware employess probably played a lot of platformers in the 80's and 90's. They forgot that platforming was not that succesful when games went 3-D in the mid to late 90's. Besides Nintendo, not many companies can make a great 3-D platformer.

When I was a young gamer, Mario and Sonic had some of the best games in the industry. These days people consider them kids games. What is fuuny about that is the fact you need patience, timing and great hand/eye coordination to play a good platformer. Unlike an MMO, you cannot log in or go into the forums to get ahead. No one is going to carry you to the end of a single player platformer, you either make the jumps or you stop playing.

Hunting for all the datacrons is worth it if you are capable of doing it.

Little tip on Datcron hunting; use Youtube as a reference. While written guides are nice, watching the guides on Youtube was much more fun. I forget the person who did them all (Repub and Sith), but he did an amazing job at explaining things, and not going too fast, etc.

Yep yep. It's something that some people like to do, and those that do will go gather them. For anyone else, well it's impact is minor in terms of stats but min/maxers will want it.

I think this sums it up nicely! No reason to not go back and grab them. Extra stats are always nice and if you are the explorer type, I cannot express how much fun these are to get.

When I got them on my Juggernaut I dedicated a day to getting them in duo with a friend playing a Sorcerer. The mix of platforming, Intercede, and Extrication is roughly the most entertaining thing ever.

I don't know if "fun" is the word I would use for most of them.

Well, guilds wanting me to have them doesn't matter much to me, but for the efforts of fun an "why not" I may as well continue :-)

I suppose sitting there at the jawa balloon twice now just got me thinking if it's worth it in the end.

Thanks for the advice all :-)

-t

Entertaining? lol. Are you sure you don't mean aggravating?