Are sorcs/sages strong enough to hold their own?

Bayonetwork

And by "hold their own," I mean are they decent enough in a 1v1 fight?

I usually role two types of toon in MMOs, high DPS glass cannons or offensive tanks/bruisers. Since this game doesn't really seem to have a bruiser equivalent, I've been looking over sorcs for my burst DPS needs. I like big damage magic users, so sorcs/sages look fun as heck.

Do sorcs have to worry too much about melee classes singling them out and closing the gap, or can they handle themselves well, even when face-to-face with a sentinel/marauder?

Thanks.

In my opinion, if a Sent/Marauder wants you dead, and they're equal to your skill, you're dead. Sorc/Sages are not really a dueling class.

That said, you do have tools to prolong the fight until your allies come along. The problem with Sorc/Sage gameplay is that you need to stand still to unleash your most potent abilities. Any competent DPS melee will not give you that luxury. So your only option is to kite them, but by being constantly on the move, you basically are prevented from using any abilities which are channeled or have a casting time.

While the idea of kiting is that it also prevents a melee class from using most of their abilities, the issue is that they only need to catch up with you for an instant and they can use their stuff, which is mostly instant cast (Maras even have root on ravage, which is basically the only channeling ability they have), while you still have casting and channel times to deal with.

So as it were, they have to get lucky once, you have to be lucky all the time.

"Turret" classes best work behind meatshield lines. Let your teammates provide a distraction, then when the enemy is occupied, unleash hell on them.

Assassins/Shadows are still going to beeline for you if they're any good though. It's what they do. ;)

Madness/Balance is an amazing 1 v 1 spec. Your DoTs are instant and provide most of your damage on top of Sever Force being quite amazing. Though due to being a DoT spec you won't see the huge numbers you might be wishing for? The damage is good, just in loads of small bits and pieces. :)

Lightning/Telekinisis can forget it in 1 v 1 and since a Seer/Corruption can't kill, same for them, they're eventually dead. (Likely.)

I view Sorcs more as the glass cannon type, they definitly feel like they're made of glass without support from a team. (Madness/Balance utilizes roots and kiting rather than survivibility.) Maybe for a Tank/Bruiser Sith Warrior might be more your thing? If you mean slightly tanky-dps a Maurauder is quite amazing (Medium armour, true, but absolutely amazing cooldowns make them quite tough to kill) and Juggernaut has, besides a tanking-spec, also quite some survivability from Vengeance whilst being a full DPS. Unless I misunderstood and you look for the Glass Cannon.

Edited by Gloomycakes

there is not one class the balance sage should beat in a 1v1 not one the balance does the damage of a tank spec but is fragile period. I does fine in reg wz cuz the objective is not to kill everyone so you can kite and tickle everyone as needed but in arenas you productivity is a result of a good team not the cause. If you wont a cannon go commando they bring the thunder, single target or aoe and electronet is the best move in the game

I usually role two types of toon in MMOs, high DPS glass cannons or offensive tanks/bruisers. Since this game doesn't really seem to have a bruiser equivalent, I've been looking over sorcs for my burst DPS needs. I like big damage magic users, so sorcs/sages look fun as heck.

Do sorcs have to worry too much about melee classes singling them out and closing the gap, or can they handle themselves well, even when face-to-face with a sentinel/marauder?

Thanks.

if the melee play it right your dead as a sage hands down bad melee can be beat by good sages but with out help the sage has no chance vs a melee to be honst the only melee you can beat is an assassin go figure you basicly have the same tool kit so the match up is in your favor

there is not one class the balance sage should beat in a 1v1 not one the balance does the damage of a tank spec but is fragile period. I does fine in reg wz cuz the objective is not to kill everyone so you can kite and tickle everyone as needed but in arenas you productivity is a result of a good team not the cause. If you wont a cannon go commando they bring the thunder, single target or aoe and electronet is the best move in the game

If ti's a DPS spec Jugg/Guardian, that jugg/guardian is as good as dead. Just saying.

Madness/balance sorc/sage is one of the top solo specs. You should actually win against most marauders in 1v1. Sorc however, does not perform as well in team composition, especially when being pressured by multiple enemies. Also madness/balance lacks the burst to down healers and most enemies if getting healed. Sorc do work in PvP, but they are not the best class.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lightning Sorc and when I PvP with it one of three things happens:

1) People ignore me and die

2) Half a dozen jump me at once, and I die

3) One or two attack me and I obliterate them, or they eventually give up

Sorcs are the "glass canons" of this game , however bioware still seems to be working on the canon part. In arenas usually the first to be focused and usually the first to die is the sorc. As dps your bubble is no good on lvl 55 pvp. Unless you play Lighting spec which makes your bubble stun ppl when it breaks.However the downside with that is that all meele classes have now an arsenal of good long-mid ranged attacks that can be used , which renders the bubble stun useless against average players. Furthermore you deal with someone that learned to interrupt after playing 55 levels you are dead or incapable to do much, specially if its a anni/watchman mara/sent that is glued on you.

Having said that it is not impossible to win 1v1 or even 2v1 against mediocre players, you may win a few duels against good players too depending of how good you are. The madness spec is maybe a bit better if you have a spot to run around and dot'n'hide.

If you want a duelling class that can hold its own play a shadow/assassin in tank spec but with dps gear. They even got buffed now on 2.0 you can use the positional attack any time you want if you get the proc =), i have won 2v1 with my shadow with not really putting too much effort into it.