Server Consolidation

CourtneyWoods

I'm on the AP servers.

I managed to reserve a lot of names, like Paladin, Maelstrom, Arson.

I don't want to loose those names, but I'd rather have more people to play with.

Bioware has stated that paid transfers will be available after this server consolidation, so hopefully that is coming soon.

I don't think they handled this well, especially the short notice period, but I think it's better for the reason.

Everyone should remain calm!

Oh, and we're out of coffee!

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm probably not because the origin servers are only here once. and they sort of just acted over 2 days. Not really any chance choice or option here is there?.... Like I said tey acted.

well at least we can aim for our original names, can't add characters but we can aim for similiar names.

About offering a character transfer service. Well Im not business minded but like I said before I'd rather a later release date for this game rather than an early release of an uncompleted game. I do have likes dislikes and reasons to discuss about the CTS but uh, this seems like more of a stream or vent rather than discussion.( heh only read 2 posts on this article though.) Then again this is straight from the news feed. It's action news. News:_____________

Seems like a lot of the angry posts, and the threats to quit, are written as though the posters believe Bioware just arbitrarily decided one day to merge a bunch of servers for the hell of it.

Bioware is doing this out of dire necessity, if the game is to survive. Yes it's inconvenient to have to change a character name, but they aren't doing this to annoy people, or because they feel like forcing their vision on the player base, they're doing it because they have no choice. They've lost a huge chunk of the people who initially played the game, and (a) they can't afford to maintain 100 servers for 20 servers-worth of population, and (b) they were losing customers because people were not enjoying playing on low pop servers.

In other words, merge servers or go out of business. So you might reflect on which inconvenience is greater - changing your name, or losing the ability to play the game entirely, because it went bust and the servers are all shut down.

Edited by SkyH

Seems like a lot of the angry posts, and the threats to quit, are written as though the posters believe Bioware just arbitrarily decide one day to merge a bunch of servers for the hell of it.

Bioware is doing this out of dire necessity, if the game is to survive. Yes it's inconvenient to have to change a character name, but they aren't doing this to annoy people, or because they feel like forcing their vision on the player base, they're doing it because they have no choice. They've lost a huge chunk of the people who initially played the game, and (a) they can't afford to maintain 100 servers for 20 servers-worth of population, and (b) they were losing customers because people were not enjoying playing on low pop servers.

In other words, merge servers or go out of business. So you might reflect on which inconvenience is greater - changing your name, or losing the ability to play the game entirely, because it went bust and the servers are all shut down.

We gave warning two months in advance that this might happen and asked them to be careful when they consolidated.

They answered us in the Q&A tranquilizing us.

It happened.

HOW CAN WE FRIGGIN NOT BE MAD?!?!?!? Friends are split apart!!!!! The people who bought and payed the game to be together are forced to not be so. And not of their own fault.

They've lost a huge chunk of the people who initially played the game, and (a) they can't afford to maintain 100 servers for 20 servers-worth of population, and (b) they were losing customers because people were not enjoying playing on low pop servers.

[/qUOTE]

This server move is going to cause an even bigger loss of people. I guess when we all get shoved into 10 remaining servers in a few months we should just be happy.

I did predict this mess in another post, unhappy people, loosing names, the changing servers is a new one. I was lambasted by certian people on the forums and told I was wrong. Bio screwed up this big time, we have not even had FTP yet. Even more reason to worry. This MMO is dying on its knees and they break people up from servers. They really have no idea how to run an MMO. :rolleyes:

I'm still the most upset about our guild name. To be the first guild registered with that name for the whole game to lose it is total BS. That is seriously horrible customer service.

Did you create another guild with the same name on a different server? Or move from one server to another without disbanding on the original server first? Either of those cases would result in a duplicate of your guild on the server. If that's the case, the person who is the guild leader of the alt guilds might be able to open a ticket to get them disbanded (if they don't have a character in the guild anymore).

I transfered mutipul characters on 2 servers that i play when the BH tolken offer was out, i got the coms on one server but just the little pet on the other. other. to date, CS hasnt responded to my ticket. heres a suggestion, act like you care about you paying customers and answer tickets in less that 3 or 4 days and perhaps you will have more paying customers! i predict this game will be dead in less than a year. if you would focus on the promises you made last december, fix the hundreds of bugs in day to day play and at least give the appearance you care about your income, server shrinkage wouldnt be necessary because you;d have more accounts that you could handle. get a clue, you launched with 1.2 million, how many now? 3 or 4 hundred thousand? and much like you servers, shrinking!

and before you saty anything to me, I paid for this, I have every right to voice complaints, like anyone cares!

I agree, there are still so many bugs and problems in game that have not been sorted. Tickets sent they dont respond to. Its staggering the mess they have made over the servers its nothing short of a joke. And they want people to pay monthly for being bumpded from one server to another, loosing ones name, then we have FTP comming in which is death to the pay system. They should have looked at Blizzards model and learned how to treat people who pay a fee for a game. Its a disgrace how they have treated loyal customers with terrible gaffs on this game. :(

We gave warning two months in advance that this might happen and asked them to be careful when they consolidated.

They answered us in the Q&A tranquilizing us.

It happened.

HOW CAN WE FRIGGIN NOT BE MAD?!?!?!? Friends are split apart!!!!! The people who bought and payed the game to be together are forced to not be so. And not of their own fault.

Well, how should they have done it differently?

Also, I'm not understanding how it is that friends are being spllit up. If you were all on the same server before consolidation, wouldn't you be on the same merged server afterwards? Or did they randomly split the population of each source server to different destination servers?

Well, how should they have done it differently?

Also, I'm not understanding how it is that friends are being spllit up. If you were all on the same server before consolidation, wouldn't you be on the same merged server afterwards? Or did they randomly split the population of each source server to different destination servers?

Our origin server had two destination servers. I asked the developer's Q&A about this, and they actually took the time to reply to me and tell me not to worry and that we would get more info in advance as time drew nearer.

How should they have done it differently? Decide the servers since the start, or warn people with at least 1-2 weeks in advance, or provide a way to fix these issues, or simply make the characters choose one of those two servers when they logged on, or I don't know, there are at least a dozen different ways to do it better.

All I know is that the six of us are annoyed and have to find another game to play together. Which sucks cause we like this one. Two of us ended up in the progenitor, the rest on tomb of freedon nedd... Why could they simply not have made the decision right from the start? Or hell, I've already phoned customer support twice and opened three tickets (suggested by the customer support guys) to see if this can be fixed and they keep closing the tickets and not even talking to me... What can we do ? We're basically asking them to please let us give them more money and they ain't doing it.

Giving no warning, no time for anything and just consolidating just like that, with people hanging on to try and get more info, after so much request for help... And you ask how they should have done it differently ? The question is how did they manage to fail so miserably in doing something that was so easy, and that they were warned of the potential problems. It's like they purposefully headed straight into wall.

I suspect the accountants crunched numbers, and EA will make more money shutting Star Wars down and claiming a loss than trying to keep it going. There's probably contractual obligations with Lucas though, so they are just keeping up appearances that they don't want to just abandon the game, though they really do.

I suspect the accountants crunched numbers, and EA will make more money shutting Star Wars down and claiming a loss than trying to keep it going. There's probably contractual obligations with Lucas though, so they are just keeping up appearances that they don't want to just abandon the game, though they really do.

I agree, some people on here live in dream land, had one a few weeks ago who said she had crunched numbers and done graphs, etc, You have so many costs running a game like this. Server costs, engineers, etc, people working on the game, people on the telephones, customer service tech support, It goes on and on and on. With the lack of real marketing its a shame I love this game so much but to see it run like this by cowboys its heartbreaking. :(

I was wondering about this same thing. I don't suppose there would be an official word on this?

I was wondering about this same thing. I don't suppose there would be an official word on this?

If this was in fact the case, and they couldn't just shut it down, for legal reasons for example, just complete theorizing on a hypothetical situation here . . . and i am not a lawyer, maybe a rules lawyer . . . ;) then they couldn't, hypothetically of course, officially say that. They in fact would want to do just enough to avoid making it look like they were making the game fail. It would be sad, in this hypothetical case , if a company was actual trying to succeed but was doing so horrible that people though they were trying to fail

Hypothetically

Its worrying that BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk have left the studio, for what reasons we dont know. Cant bode well for TOR. :confused:

Just maybe, their contract ended and they took their bundle of cash and left, wouldn't you if you had the money they had from the sale of their company.

Another possible reason could be that they where to stay on until a certain point and then had to leave as part of the EA's acquisition of Bioware. you know as per the agreement of sale.

Edited by Reble-Dog-Squad

I agree, some people on here live in dream land, had one a few weeks ago who said she had crunched numbers and done graphs, etc, You have so many costs running a game like this. Server costs, engineers, etc, people working on the game, people on the telephones, customer service tech support, It goes on and on and on. With the lack of real marketing its a shame I love this game so much but to see it run like this by cowboys its heartbreaking. :(

The tight-knit community here of fanboyism is really appalling. I know they love this game and all but they give such ridiculous rebuttals.

By the way. I think I know who you're talking about. :(

Just maybe, their contract ended and they took their bundle of cash and left, wouldn't you if you had the money they had from the sale of their company.

Another possible reason could be that they where to stay on until a certain point and then had to leave as part of the EA's acquisition of Bioware. you know as per the agreement of sale.

Maybe, maybe not. Imagine TOR was your baby, you put so much of your life into making it a reality and then after almost a year you see it being run so badly, maybe they had enough and left. Now TOR has no one stearing the ship. I hope im wrong but the way the game is being run It would not surprise me that they just wanted out. Subcribers down, FTP being introduced, servers cut, two founders leaving its business suicide.