Melee dps to Ranged dps ratio for Ops

Just wanted to get an idea of what you've seen in ops groups so far. For an 8 man run assuming 2 tanks, 2 healers, and 4 dps, what are the melee dps to ranged dps ratios? Do the groups you run with tend to favor more ranged dps? Is it 3 ranged, 1 melee or more even 2 to 2? How about 16 man runs?

I find it extremely easy to get into PuG ops groups as a ranged dps and somewhat difficult as melee dps. Unless it's SM where no one cares, all the HM EV/KP runs just prefer ranged dps. Same could be said with EC in SM or HM. Just curious if you folks experienced the same trend.

Just wanted to get an idea of what you've seen in ops groups so far. For an 8 man run assuming 2 tanks, 2 healers, and 4 dps, what are the melee dps to ranged dps ratios? Do the groups you run with tend to favor more ranged dps? Is it 3 ranged, 1 melee or more even 2 to 2? How about 16 man runs?

I find it extremely easy to get into PuG ops groups as a ranged dps and somewhat difficult as melee dps. Unless it's SM where no one cares, all the HM EV/KP runs just prefer ranged dps. Same could be said with EC in SM or HM. Just curious if you folks experienced the same trend.

Most ops groups seem to go after ranged dps, because they're just easier to heal, I think. My main is a "melee", and I CAN get a slot, but I don't pug. I think it's much easier to get a slot as melee if they know you (as a good player), plus they know their healers are worth a crap. If they know their healers are really good, they might actually be willing to take close range dps even if they don't know you.

That said, if a raid force takes regular melee at all, from what I've seen, the ratios are generally 3 to 1 in favor of ranged over melee, and right now, of course, that preferred melee is going to be a mara/sent.

Edited by Leovinus

We prefer to have a balance of 2 ranged and 2 melee. <shrug>

Good thing there are no ranged Marauders :D Though you certainly don't need a Marauder to clear any of the content, I enjoy mine a lot in the raid setting.

Yeah my melee dps is a Jugg dps and I sometimes get passed up for ranged dps. That or they say they have enough melee dps already in the ops group. Even if it's a new group forming, they always ask me what my gear is like before getting an invite.

On my sorc I just have to say i'm ranged dps and I auto get an invite. It's not my name either since I just transferred servers with the recent server moves. I guess people still favor ranged dps more. And if you ARE melee dps I doesn't hurt to be a marauder/sent.

Well, I've never seen "LF melee dps <insert operation name>" in general chat. "LF rDPS" ? Many times.

But I don't pug operations (only within guild.), so I really can't tell what other ppl prefer. In my guild there are more ranged dps than melee ones, but just because that's what people like to play. There are no "requirements" in that regard.

It really depends on the gear of your group. But if you're group is new to any given op, you are gimping yourself by not having two ranged.

It doesn't matter for EV.

It does for KP boss number 4 though. I'm not saying you can't do it with 4 melee DPS....but they better be guilds with some amazing skills. (Not DPS skills, but coordination and communication.)

For EC, particularly HM, only makes it more challenging. Any more than 2 melee and you have to creatively juggle due to debuffs.

Well, I've never seen "LF melee dps <insert operation name>" in general chat. "LF rDPS" ? Many times.

But I don't pug operations (only within guild.), so I really can't tell what other ppl prefer. In my guild there are more ranged dps than melee ones, but just because that's what people like to play. There are no "requirements" in that regard.

I see LF rDPS all the time. I also say it a lot of the time. Why? Because close to 75% of the DPS that whisper me are Sentinels if I just say LF DPS. Most of the time thats not an issue, but when I'm pugging LI HM, ranged just makes life easier. I only run melee through it when its guildies on Vent so we can get the in/out timing right or if its a melee I know. It's also because a lot of people won't run LI HM with melee and as such, they all jump on the chance to get in and finish the quests if you just say LF DPS.

In terms of ranged vs melee for Ops: I like to take 2/2. I've run EV with 4 melee before and its easy enough but on EC you're making life hard by taking more than 2 melee DPS. KP can be done with 3 melee without too many issues but 4 is real tough.

My guild tends to get a balance, which is always good.

however sometimes the melee aren't around so we take extra ranged and vice versa.

whenever I have pugged I always get into a group that has more MDPS than RDPS for some reason.