SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

I am about to buy the new ALIENWARE 17 with Win7 home prem, or ultimate havnt decided 64 bit tho, and with the 16 gb RAM i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache) umm NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5 and theres more. Is unleashed something i want? will it really enhance my game play or really whats the deal here?

Don't know. Never really figured out how to get it to work, and Im too lazy to sort through all the comments hoping to find someone with a tutorial video or something.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am about to buy the new ALIENWARE 17 with Win7 home prem, or ultimate havnt decided 64 bit tho, and with the 16 gb RAM i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache) umm NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5 and theres more. Is unleashed something i want? will it really enhance my game play or really whats the deal here?

With a laptop, and their extremely slow hard drives, unleashed will definitely help you with loading planets instances etc.

MY PC sucks. I have just 4 gigs of DDR2 RAM. I have some issues loading mobs in Ops. Corrupter on Gate Commander load slow. The 1st round of adds in DP 1st boss often don't appear. 3rd boss DP, when returning from past or future I have a long load screen. Last night on HM Corrupter one of the attempts the boss didn't render after killing the adds.

Are there particular files i should select to help with these issues? With only 4 gigs of RAM I'm very limited on which files I can choose.

Probably a bit late but would suggest avoiding Alienware and gor for something vastly cheaper with the same specs.

I decided to use this as I was having trouble healing in 16 man hardmode DP (not too much trouble but i was on less than 10 fps so I was always behind on healing).

I have a 5 year old pc with dual core 2.6ghz intel, 8gb of shiny ram, radeon 48xxHD. It's not the best pc (for this game but others run fine, especially with unreal engine which is what I built it for) so I don't expect much in certain MMO situations.

So I loaded up a 4.5gb ramdrive with the basics and FX. It improved my fps slightly but the real benefit comes with the reduction of stuttering from loading assets. It helps a LOT !. I notice character models load a lot faster, if not instantly.

What I would really like to know now however, as I have some room left for the ramdrive, is which asset file contains the Oricon data? I would really like to load up faster after a wipe. Anyone know?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cannot get Unleashed to work at all.

Every time I set it up and click "Save, Apply and Close" it throws out the following error messages..

"The device is not ready"

"Setting RamDriveLetter=[R] is taken already. Please select another drive letter"

"Please choose valid settings so they can be saved."

Drive letter R is not taken, in fact it doesn't matter what drive letter I choose to set in the box, it always throws up the "Drive letter R" error message.

Imdisk is installed, loads of RAM is available. System is Win 7 64bit. Suggestions as to what to try to get it working would be appreciated !

Having issues with unleashed post 2.7

I have 32gb ram, and have everything set to copy to the ram drive.

Unleashed creates me a 22.5Gb ram drive.

Its like unleashed has not updated the size of some files, as after loading the entire game onto a ram drive there is only 972mb free, so swtor wont run due to not having enough free space for diskcachearena

Do i need to reboot for it to recalculate the file sizes or something?

Any suggestions?

Edit: as a workaround..

Open unleashed, once you have the launcher open, close it.

Now open the imdisk control panel, note the size of the ram disk created,.

Now delete it, and manually add a new ramdisk using the same letter, and add 1gb to the size.

Format as ntfs, and restart unleashed.

Edited by TandyUK

EDIT - After speaking to the developer, a permanent solution.

> Having issues with unleashed post 2.7 (Tandy, above)

• Go to the directory containing SwtorUnleashed.exe

• Delete the SwtorUnleashed.xml file

• Launch the SwtorUnleashed.exe

• Click Settings and reselect which options you prefer

• Run SWTOR Unleashed. It will now calculate the correct size of RAMDisk for the options you have selected and always run normally.

I have tested this, and it works. Remember to follow these steps again if future patches increase the size of the texture files.

Having issues with unleashed post 2.7

I have 32gb ram, and have everything set to copy to the ram drive.

Unleashed creates me a 22.5Gb ram drive.

Its like unleashed has not updated the size of some files, as after loading the entire game onto a ram drive there is only 972mb free, so swtor wont run due to not having enough free space for diskcachearena

Do i need to reboot for it to recalculate the file sizes or something?

Any suggestions?

Edit: as a workaround..

Open unleashed, once you have the launcher open, close it.

Now open the imdisk control panel, note the size of the ram disk created,.

Now delete it, and manually add a new ramdisk using the same letter, and add 1gb to the size.

Format as ntfs, and restart unleashed.

See Edit, above, for solution.

Edited by Rizenfell
More clarity

• 1 month later...

Added the permanent solution to the issues past-patch 2.7.

See previous post.

NOTE: The current build, tips, and the contact details for the developer (Audric Thevenet) can be found on the SWTOR Unleashed homepage. (link)

Edited by Rizenfell
Added info on developer

I cannot get Unleashed to work at all.

Every time I set it up and click "Save, Apply and Close" it throws out the following error messages..

"The device is not ready"

"Setting RamDriveLetter=[R] is taken already. Please select another drive letter"

"Please choose valid settings so they can be saved."

(...) !

Could you try the following and let us know how it goes?

Using SWTOR Unleashed 3.4.2.1134 (you are using this version?)

1. Boot your machine

2. Launch SwtorUnleashed.exe

3. Click 'SWTOR UNLEASHED' once, and once only.

Now wait! Does it create the RAMDisk? (Check in Computer)

If it does, quit SwtorUnleashed and restart it. Open settings and make your settings, then Save Close and Apply. Again, wait - it can take a while to create a RAMDisk and populate it with gigs of files, and I sometimes get a similar error message if I do other things, but it does actually create it. Check in Computer and see if the R: drive has been created.

If it has, then SWTRO Unleashed should work fine.

How long are you supposed to wait after opening settings?

I've been sitting here for 20 minutes and it's still frozen and will not let me adjust any of the settings and none of the buttons work.

I have/had the same problem. Though I noticed it only freezes if you click on something outside of the Unleashed box. Once you do the whole thing freezes and I've had to kill the process to shut it down.

Once you do the whole thing freezes and I've had to kill the process to shut it down.

After you hit the "Unleashed Mode," SWTOR Unleashed will appear to freeze. This is normal. It is creating the RAM drive. You should be able to open My Computer and see the RAM drive after a few seconds. If you continually refresh My Computer, you should be able to see it fill up with the necessary files.

After you hit the "Unleashed Mode," SWTOR Unleashed will appear to freeze. This is normal. It is creating the RAM drive. You should be able to open My Computer and see the RAM drive after a few seconds. If you continually refresh My Computer, you should be able to see it fill up with the necessary files.

This isn't what I am talking about. When I hit settings, if I click outside of the Unleashed window(be it on another program like chrome, or even just the desktop frame) it will freeze and prevent me from marking any changes to settings. If I refrain from clicking anywhere else I can edit away and save my settings and then launch as normal. I assume the same thing is happening to the person I quoted.

It's slightly annoying, but I can work around it.

This isn't what I am talking about. When I hit settings, if I click outside of the Unleashed window(be it on another program like chrome, or even just the desktop frame) it will freeze and prevent me from marking any changes to settings. If I refrain from clicking anywhere else I can edit away and save my settings and then launch as normal. I assume the same thing is happening to the person I quoted.

I have noticed the game will freeze if you try and open Preferences in game. I have everything that can be selected into ram.

The developer suggested deleting the SwtorUnleashed.xml file. (Steps to do this are described here: link)

If that does not work please send them an email, including the log file. The developer's email address can be found on the SWTOR Unleashed homepage here: link

That does nothing for the freezing problem I am having thank you anyway.

*repost

I have noticed the game will freeze if you try and open Preferences in game. I have everything that can be selected into ram. I also have added all the extra things you can add.

I just saw your link and am email them sorry.

Edited by Eru-Iluvatar