PvE Annihilation Marauder: Relic Help?

What I said earlier, and i still maintain, is that on pieces of gear in which you need to maintain +critical chance, then augmenting strength would maximize your overall return; yet when maintaining power on a certain piece, it would make more sense in maximizing the overall return in using a power augment over strength when critical isnt your focus on that piece of equipment.

I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense, and I'm not going to spend time debunking it, because the inherent fallacies should be obvious at a glance.

Apology accepted :)

Cute. Alright, let's get in to this.

It's been said already, but apparently it hasn't sunk in: crit contribution from Critical Rating has no correlation with that of Strength. They are on separate curves. They do not affect each other. Whether you have stacked power or critical rating on a piece of gear has zero effect on the fact that, point for point, Strength increases DPS more than Willpower. What you suggest has no logic to it whatsoever. There is no mystical synergy between the stats of a piece of base gear and the augments you apply to it.

On your base gear, you have a certain budget for Power and Crit Rating. You will reach a point where Crit Rating no longer improves your crit chance enough to be worth more than Power in terms of the net DPS increase, and you will reach this point far before the end of the stat budget; ergo you stack Power at this point. This doesn't affect the fact that, point for point, Strength will increase your DPS more than Power will, so for augments, where you have a free choice of what stats to stack on a 1:1 basis, you should pick Strength every time. Taking Power on any of them will result in less DPS.

Your ideas are mathematically incorrect. I don't really care if you care to try and understand this or not, but I'd rather not see other people misled.

Edited by Aurojiin

Your ideas are mathematically incorrect. I don't really care if you care to try and understand this or not, but I'd rather not see other people misled.

Then let's not go misleading people that crit is actually good for Anni marauders. 25% is all you should need. Period. With 25%, that puts you at ~30% crit on white damage(raid buffed) and ~50% crit on bleeds. Coupled with the fact that Berserk is free crits on bleeds and bleeds are 40% of our damage, if not more on some fights, crit after that point is rather silly.

Your rationale puts too much stock into the fallacy that white damage crits are > increased damage on said white damage and harder hitting bleeds.

you guys are lol@math Go look in the sithwarrior forums for simulations of the different specs. They give a straight up 1:1 value of each stat for a bunch of different specs. They also explain why in some specs .97power=1STR even with the crit rate worked in, and in other specs its the other way around .97str=1power. So really, its gona depend on your spec, rotation, play style and ur current gear values before you can determin if 1 power is worth more than 1 str or vice versa. You have to take into account the constant berzerks making crit gear worthless and the fact that different abilitys take more of your bonus damage into account when calculating (most take 2X or more). Sometimes your getting 3 time the bonus from your bonus damage than normal, this is why annhiliate does roughly 3 times the damage of a regular hit but takes the same GCD, its because its taking more of your bonus damage into account.

There are a few combat(carnage)/watchman(annihiliation) simulations on there with different gear values, I think in general str is worth more in carnage, but just barely. Anni is the other way around with power being worth more but just barely. Even then you cant say its going to be the same for everyones different gear/spec/playstyle/rotation. Until somone comes out with a full formula spreadsheet, its really not worth dissing people or spreading misinformation on the internet lol.

Then let's not go misleading people that crit is actually good for Anni marauders. 25% is all you should need. Period. With 25%, that puts you at ~30% crit on white damage(raid buffed) and ~50% crit on bleeds. Coupled with the fact that Berserk is free crits on bleeds and bleeds are 40% of our damage, if not more on some fights, crit after that point is rather silly.

Your rationale puts too much stock into the fallacy that white damage crits are > increased damage on said white damage and harder hitting bleeds.

Meanwhile, your attempt at a rebuttal puts too much stock in the myth that there is some sufficient crit chance, when total crit chance is essentially irrelevant. Why does extra crit chance suddenly lose value at 25%? If going from 20% to 21% crit chance is worthwhile from a DPS perspective (which apparently it is, by your assertions), then there should be no inherent difference in going from 25% to 26%.

I concede that with Annihilation relying more on lower-damage DoTs than Carnage with its harder-hitting single attacks, the critical chance from Strength may not outweigh the extra bonus damage from Power, although I'd much rather see some decent proof than guesswork. At any rate, your total crit chance is irrelevant, and setting a target percentage for a DPS build betrays a complete misunderstanding of how stats work in this game.

Strength:

1885.8 = 377.2x

1885.8 / 377.2

x = 4.9978 or x = 5

377.2 x 5 = 1886

1885.8 x .2 = 377.16 or 377.2

Power:

918 = 211y

918 / 211

y = 4.35 or y = 4

211 x 4.35 = 917.85 or 918

918 x .23 = 211.14 or 211

Again, two different sides of looking @ the same thing, just that each equation is solving for a different variance on the numbers provided.

I don't disagree with the 4.35 value, but you originally said (and continue spouting it, based on the bolded section above) that 4 is 'close enough' of an estimate. As I showed you previously, using the 'estimate' of 4:1 inflates the benefit of Power relative to Strength. How about we using your estimated value in your example equation?

211 x 4 = 844

As opposed to the actual value of 918, that's essentially ~1-2 fewer pieces of gear you need to get the same bonus damage from Power. So, again, if you really want to use the 4.35 value, go ahead, but don't say 4:1 is 'close enough', as it is a extremely poor estimate.

Additionally, I will assert that working backwards from your bonus damage to find your Power is less useful than determining how much bonus damage you will have for a particular value of Power, even though it is mathematically correct. No one says 'I want to have 300 bonus damage from Power, so how much Power do I need?'

Thank you, brevity is clarity.

Cheers!

Edited by Gruddy

The assumption they are working under with the power augments is this:

Despite the fact that the critical chance returned from actual critical points and from Strength is on a different curve; OVERALL critical chance becomes suboptimal once reaching a certain point in this tree.

Mathematically, it would make more sense to rather than continue stacking critical chance after reaching that point, you would be better off making that critical chance return as high a value as possible (in this case by using power > strength).

This is further supplemented by the lack of a percentage increase talent in the marauder trees. For a DoT build like the sorcerer's madness tree, if someone told me to go power > willpower I would slap them; but the marauder is a completely different game.

• 2 months later...