Welcome to Galactic Starfighter Subscriber Early Access

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I resubbed after 1,5 years just for GS and I'm glad I did - I enjoyed my first few matches! And I didn't encounter any bugs, crashes and the like so far. Thanks Bioware for this expansion :cool:

It's far from perfect though! Here are some first impression gripes:

- Now that I've tried it, I feel that native joystick support is a must!

- It doesn't feel as smooth as it should (see Freelancer for a very smooth mouse-controlled space sim)

- I don't like the whole "hold R-mouse to lock misslie" thing - it feels very awkward.

- I am not too fond of the UI - maybe I just need to get more used to it but I don't feel like critical information is being conveyed to me well enough. I need to play some more though before I can come up with more detailed feedback.

- Needs more game modes! I know they're on their way but I feel that these two maps will get old fast.

- I would love a cokpit view personally!

Despite all my gripes I had fun. But I feel that there is huge room for improvement, and hope that BW adds onto GS as quickly as possible because there is the danger that once the novelty wears off people will not bother with it without regular updates and proper attention paid to it.

See you all in my sights :sy_target::hope_01:

Edited by archifikoss

Some just complain way too much. This is just the beginning of a giant new thing for SWTOR that will only keep making the game bigger and better. I'm surprised some people actually think BioWare will not improve on GS and just leave it as it is.

Relax, sit back and just have some fun on it. You don't need to nitpick everything to death. In the end, you will only make yourself feel horrible because you won't like it. SWTOR was never meant to be a space sim like EVE. Sure, they could put in free space exploration somewhat, in the future but it's not going to be an EVE clone. Sorry for those who want EVE in Star Wars. It's not going to happen.

Good job BioWare with the latest expansion. I am looking forward to more things to come to the game and I believe the game is headed in a completely better path than it was before. Very good :)

Enjoy yourselves out there!

Edited by Sarfux

Lasted about 3.5 minutes, what a weird clunky Child you have bore Bioware. I literally can not hate it more, Galactic Starfighter is not what I expected... to be polite, and Makeb is the least Star Wars thing I've ever experienced see you in 12 months.

I

It's far from perfect though! Here are some first impression gripes:

- Now that I've tried it, I feel that native joystick support is a must!

- It doesn't feel as smooth as it should (see Freelancer for a very smooth mouse-controlled space sim)

- I don't like the whole "hold R-mouse to lock misslie" thing - it feels very awkward.

- Needs more game modes! I know they're on their way but I feel that these two maps will get old fast.

couldn't agree more its a great first step but that just it A FIRST STEP we are far of the complete/perfected space pvp, the handling was sluggish, felt like the space mission controls with some add ons,

I think you need to change the whole loop function (A,D keys) with a master key (say shift +A/D=loop) and let the A, D keys be normal turn keys again so that the mouse will only handle targeting.

the missiles relies/targeting needs to be smoother so it fires independently when it get a lock

but other then that its a smooth ride and i expect many great things to come, both in pve and pvp,

beacose this game has virtually unlimited potential and i belive that the ppl who gave me Mass Affect are the ppl who can realize that potential

thank you biowere, now get beck to work :rak_03:

I've been playing this most of the evening, and am really enjoying it so far.

The whole power shifting between weapons/shields/engines brought back fond memories of Tie Fighter :-D

The different ships and loadouts look interesting, with the various components, crew skills, and upgrade paths. It's nice to think about how they synergise for each ship class (e.g. stacking evasive bonuses on a Scout, or Hull/Shield multipliers on the Gunship).

I'm looking forward to future maps as well (hoping there's going to be one where player fighters are dogfighting amidst capital ships slogging it out !)

Wow, I can't believe people can HATE it so much. I mean, fine, not what you expected, not your cup of tea, whatever, get over it. I don't play the kind of game that specializes in this stuff, but it was interesting. Like others say, the controls are pretty whack - customizing will be first order of business, if possible - and if not, they need to get on fixing it so it IS customizable. It would be nice to add PVE to the platform too. I can live without it, but I usually prefer it.

I had a problem nobody else seems to have mentioned (or that I could find). Overall the update works fine for me, although it's slower to load now, but I have a problem with the gifted adaptive armor we got for subscribing before Nov 3rd or whenever. 2 of the 4 sets have their textures missing! They show up as what looks like pink silk when I wear them, and when I do the ctrl-Lclick to preview them they show up as tiles saying MISSING. My friend opened his at the same time and his were fine. However, I could not see his, as he was wearing the same one I had with textures missing. Not sure how I can fix this. Also, I have 8 characters and it's the same on all of them. Same set.

Ok, I've been a subscriber since Beta and ...

this expansion stinks.

I tried it ... find it completely non-intuitive, slow, confusing, and populated by a small group of ace fighters and a bunch of folks like me who ... blow up a lot.

It's unfortunate because I'm one of those who tends to spend far too much on the Cartel Market. But, I won't be buying anything for this aspect of the game.

I wish nothing but the best for PvPers and Bioware on this one, but gosh ...

it really stinks.

I think people are just upset because they suck at it. no offense to anyone lol. This expansion is actually Better than i expected. :D Sure its a little confusing and they could improve/add a few things but cmon guys... you're all saying it sucks so bad but it doesnt. I dont know what you guys mean by "blowing up" either. Crashing into things??? Dunno but the controls are very impressive imo. they couldn't be any easier to use and im playing on a laptop... My first few matches i managed to score about 5 kills 7 assists and 5 deaths in total (decent pilot :p) The conversion of requisition to fleet req using cartel coins is pretty cheap. which is a good thing :) I also like the fact that you have to earn/work for Al your purchases and upgrades. great job avoiding p2w. Only thing I'd say to change is the way we spawn. I find it really strange how we jump out of light speed to spawn. I recommend making it a little more like battlefront where we spawn back in our teams main ship and hop in the ship type of our choice in a hangar. Take off and start the engines on our own and everything too.

To those of you that are upset... practice and actually try.... Not everything can be p2w. not everyone wants p2w. sorry lol but yeah some skill-YES 'SKILL' is required. Google it if u dont know what "skill" is.

Edited by Rotaruc

Well I was so Excited to Get into my Ship, BUT I had this feeling that something wasnt going to go as planned. :rak_mad: Just as the load window comes up, of this great Star Ship Battle, it goes Dark. all i have to look at is my pointer with a circle going round and round. Just like i suspected, EPIC FAIL!!!! It doesnt load up. what a bummer. hopefully it gets fixed by tomorrow. Good Night!!

Some just complain way too much. This is just the beginning of a giant new thing for SWTOR that will only keep making the game bigger and better. I'm surprised some people actually think BioWare will not improve on GS and just leave it as it is.

Relax, sit back and just have some fun on it. You don't need to nitpick everything to death. In the end, you will only make yourself feel horrible because you won't like it. SWTOR was never meant to be a space sim like EVE. Sure, they could put in free space exploration somewhat, in the future but it's not going to be an EVE clone. Sorry for those who want EVE in Star Wars. It's not going to happen.

Good job BioWare with the latest expansion. I am looking forward to more things to come to the game and I believe the game is headed in a completely better path than it was before. Very good :)

great read, thanks....wish I was reading more of these is all =/

I completely agree. This expansion has a solid foundation that can be expanded on in the months and years to come. Great work BW

As one of the folks selected to test this in beta, and also someone who is not normally into PvP, I had a blast with it.

Yes the controls are a bit ... clunky... and no you can't remap your pitch axis to be real flight controls, or map to a joystick.

Yes the ships feel slow unless you've lit the turbos (faster ships would be insanely hard to hit, and there's enough terrain/debris around that barreling about at full boost is dangerous anyway).

When you start to understand how everything works, and why you need to manage shield power and save the evade maneuver for when you REALLY need it... it gets rather fun.

My personal accomplishment? surviving an entire battle without getting blown up and NOT finding some place to hide. Scouts are fragile, but they are also agile. :)

This isn't just something for 'the PvP crowd'. It's for the "I wanna shoot at other ships" crowd, the "I hate the rail shooter space battles" crowd, and the "I roleplay a fighter pilot" crowd.

Yes, it WOULD be cool to be able to use our transport ships in free flight. It would be cool to invite a few friends aboard to man the guns. Perhaps some PvE free flight missions would be nice.

This is not 'epic fail' by any stretch. This is "a good start."

Edited by Soultranna

most excellent,

we are starting to see more people express appreciation rather than contempt. The Digital Expansion doesn't cost anything, its a free upgrade to your existing SWTOR game. Funny how some people like to act when they are given something "free". Yes we pay for a sub, but I remember when we all first started how that was a "small" price to pay to play and enjoy this game. If someone gave you something at no extra cost to you but could only add to what you have already would you complain, and piss and moan? I don't think so. So why do it here, sheesh.

im pretty upset that i sub and have payed well over a couple hundred dollars in cartel coins only to find out if i try to log on my computer goes all blue with some error screen then restarts come on bio you can be such an amazing company get it together guys

That's a computer issue on YOUR end, not the game's.

I had my first try last night and starfighter was refreshingly interesting! :D

Thanks for this. I'm sure it will get only better in the future.

@darth_hellraiser, blue screen of death is at your computer end, but can be caused by great many different things. Try updating your graphics card drivers at first..

Edited by Karkais

I had a problem nobody else seems to have mentioned (or that I could find). Overall the update works fine for me, although it's slower to load now, but I have a problem with the gifted adaptive armor we got for subscribing before Nov 3rd or whenever. 2 of the 4 sets have their textures missing! They show up as what looks like pink silk when I wear them, and when I do the ctrl-Lclick to preview them they show up as tiles saying MISSING. My friend opened his at the same time and his were fine. However, I could not see his, as he was wearing the same one I had with textures missing. Not sure how I can fix this. Also, I have 8 characters and it's the same on all of them. Same set.

That's an issue with your game files, on your own PC. You may need to reinstall. It's possible there's other problems/anomalies that you haven't noticed yet, simply because they appear in small unnoticed areas.

I like the aspect of free-form space battles. I welcome the update and change. However, I do think this "expansion" which i will use loosely because this is more of a feature update than a true expansion. This didnt add anything to the story, this didnt add anything to player progression so for me this isnt an expansion.

That said, the gameplay is solid for me. I enjoy playing and actually being able to control movement in space battle. I am disappointed that this isnt my main ship (ie. my siths Fury). I guess i misunderstood but I was under the impression this was our ship customization but that minor i suppose. As for as gameplay, I feel as though there will be a highly unfair advantage to though that play this religiously and spend money on their upgrades to those that play this as a break in other areas. I totally understand that others will always be better than most but when it comes to this I can see where many will be turned off when they come and get blown up a dozen times by the same guy that has everything upgraded and cannot be killed.

Still hoping for free control space travel to planets and other ship interaction. Also wish my characters ship could be more customizable.

Got in last night. Surprisingly had no issues with computer crashes, freezes and the like.

Mouse is just a little too 'floaty' and imprecise at the moment. it's basically the same feel as the space combat that's been around since the beginning.. It's not so much in issue there, but PvP requires much more precise controls. The other complaint is the speed. I can't complain about that much because, well I understand phyiscs. It is difficult to convey going fast over large distances. There's simply a lot of space on these maps. Going to fast also poses a problem in tighter combat. In short I think the speed along with the boost that you can use a lot of the time is about right. I am concerned about being able to come to a dead stop though and the gunship class. It seems it may be far too easy to camp in one protected spot and snipe without repurcussion as more people earn gunships.

Again a lot of people are pooing on this expansion, but for free, hey I'll take it. I think it's the right way to do a starship component in the game is to have set battles like this. A poster earlier said they wanted space exploration. I don't agree that that is what this should have been. Despite being called 'Star' Wars very little of what goes on in the universe goes on in space. When it does, it is typically a battle of some type. If you want space exploration where you can go a do whatever you want, customize your ship, etc., I suggest you go play EVE.

Edited by LordHartigan