Flashpoint Loot

So I have heard people draw to this conclusion as I have, do flash points only give out loot for the specific classes playing?

I ask because I ran esseles with three jedi knights and all the dropped as basically knight gear. I was fine with that being the only guardian able to wear heavy armor I got all the loot, but it seemed unfair that our sage didn't even get the chance to roll on anything.

I ran Esselles with 3 trooper commandos once and all the loot was trooper loot, with the only exception being the lightsaber from the sith. I think it does skew the loot to the classes that are present. Which I like compared to dropping useless stuff all the time.

Addendum: I was a Jedi Knight Sentinel

Edited by nynik

I am finding the same thing. When I played the beta, I was trying to spam Esseles as much as possible to be able to add drops to the item database site my husband and I are working on, and I eventually outleveled it enough that I could solo the instance. The result was that 100% of the drops were Smuggler items, over the course of about 10 runs.

So far (up through Mandalorian Raiders), on live, the same appears to be true.. I have not seen anything drop that someone in the party could not equip.

I am finding the same thing. When I played the beta, I was trying to spam Esseles as much as possible to be able to add drops to the item database site my husband and I are working on, and I eventually outleveled it enough that I could solo the instance. The result was that 100% of the drops were Smuggler items, over the course of about 10 runs.

So far (up through Mandalorian Raiders), on live, the same appears to be true.. I have not seen anything drop that someone in the party could not equip.

thats the amusing nature of randomness. I have seen plenty that no one needed drop.

Chalk it up to experience.

thats the amusing nature of randomness. I have seen plenty that no one needed drop.

Chalk it up to experience.

Plenty that no one needed, yes, but still equippable for their class. Maybe I am wrong, just an observation from what I have seen so far. Maybe the "intelligent" loot is not 100% intelligent and they are still working out the bugs. It's still early; time will tell! I am just waiting to see if Bioware gives us any info.

• 2 weeks later...
In my guild, we're noticing the drops is favoring classes that use Aim. We've gotten to the point where we're gearing up our Aim using companions due to the frequency of Aim gear across the board. This is concerning Hard Mode Flashpoints. Edited by Pseudoname

• 4 weeks later...
I have done 32 HM FP's over the past week and a half. out of those 32 runs I have not recieved a single drop for my DPS SA. Is the loot random or do certian FP's drop certian gear. I am starting to get very frustrated with the lack of frequency of drops. I have run BT HM 14 times without a single SA DPS Drop, BP 10 times same result and i just finished my 8th foundry run and saw the first Drop ever.... which i did not win the roll on. I hope this system will be addressed soon so i can gear my toon for Operations.

I too have had issue with loot drops from flashpoints. for example running esslless 2 jedi classes and 2 of the bosses dropped bop cunning gear. How is this useful should it not just drop gear for the classes loaded into the flashpoint. its a terrible waste of time to run a fp to come out with gear you can only sell to vendor

So I have heard people draw to this conclusion as I have, do flash points only give out loot for the specific classes playing?

I ask because I ran esseles with three jedi knights and all the dropped as basically knight gear. I was fine with that being the only guardian able to wear heavy armor I got all the loot, but it seemed unfair that our sage didn't even get the chance to roll on anything.

If an item is modable then it isn't class specific because you can get your classes mods and swap them out for the mods that are in the item when you loot it, so the only true difference in class specific gear is the armor type (light med heav). The only time that I have noticed specific "class gear" dropping was when I was running Mandalorian Raiders with 2 IA's and at least 50% of what dropped was IA gear so I guess classes do determine the loot dropped.

I have had gear drop that no one could use at all. I also solo'ed Esseles to try and get the lightsaber that drops at the end because I like how it looks and it dropped a scattergun.

What I notice more is that whatever class gear the first boss drops, the rest of the bosses drop the same class. I did a run of Taral V with a group of two jedi (one dps one tank) a smuggler and a consular (healer). All bosses except one dropped sage gear, the only exception was an implant for a jedi knight. We than went and ran Maelstrom Prison and the exact samething happened again, all sage gear except two drops (one for a trooper no one could use) and a jedi knight light saber.

A week later we ran a guildmate through Maelstrom Prison and the same sage was with us. Again all sage drops but an ear piece for a jedi. The final boss dropped two pieces of sage gear.

A lot of my guild mates have noticed that it seems a flashpoint picks one classes and drops almost exclusively gear for that class only. I have a feeling this is a bug in the loot tables and should be addressed.

I was wondering the same thing. I've been running Flashpoints on my own (ones I can now easily solo) in order to farm orange gear for my companion. So far everything that drops seems to be Agent gear, and nothing with a Heavy Armor rating. I know I could try this in groups but I'd rather avoid the drama of rolling on gear for my companion when it should be going to other players in the group.

By the way, IncognitoCat, thanks for linking your site in your signature. That's very helpful and I bookmarked it as well.

• 2 months later...
In my guild, we're noticing the drops is favoring classes that use Aim. We've gotten to the point where we're gearing up our Aim using companions due to the frequency of Aim gear across the board. This is concerning Hard Mode Flashpoints.

This has been my experience as well, which made me look for this thread. Our tank is Aim based and over the last 20 or so FP runs almost all drops were Aim-based. At first I figured he was getting lucky and was happy for him, but now it is getting really annoying and frustrating. 2, 3, 4 drops is a lucky coincidence. 20+ is a statistic. There is definitely some bug in the loot system. Last run he got 4 drops. Meanwhile I don't think I got a single one in all our runs yet.

Now I am not sure if the loot drop logic favors Aim, or if it's based on who picked up the FP quest first (he usually does) or who entered the FP first (he usually does). I plan on testing the last two possibilities. But regardless, this should be looked at. But how do we know if BW is even aware of this bug?

• 3 weeks later...
While running Black Talon in order to get cool looking gear (the sniper) for my companion, I got virtually the same loot to drop over and over and over and over again, and it's getting annoying. With my Sniper, the sniper drops almost every time, but not while on my bounty hunter. I get that this is probably working as intended, but this means that I can't ever get a cool-looking sniper for my companion. Could you please make an exception for players soloing flashpoints for cool-looking gear?

Hello everyone,

This is currently a known issue. In order to keep the forums tidy and conversations in one place please use this thread to discuss the topic of loot and group composition, we will be closing this current thread. Thank You!

Hello everyone! We appreciate you joining us to play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, and we hope you enjoy the game. As MMORPGs are large and complex projects, inevitably we do discover issues that may affect gameplay. We're working constantly to fix anything that will affect the player experience, but for now this is our current list of high priority in-game known issues.

UPDATED: April 20th, 2012

Flashpoints and Operations

Hard Mode Flashpoint loot does not currently take group composition into account.

If you wish to learn more about how the loot drop is intended to work, you can find out more here in our recent Community Q&A: April 27th, 2012:

Caizic: In the 1.2 Legacy patch notes there is a section under Items and Economy and General that says "Loot drops from endgame activities, such as Operations and Flashpoints, now take group composition into account." Can someone please clarify what this means/how this works exactly? Thanks in advance!

David: Throughout the game, the composition of your group impacts the loot you get from defeating enemies. For the majority of content, the drops are skewed to favor whatever classes are present. This is a bias, but not a guarantee. In leveling Flashpoints, that bias is very strong, and will almost always give loot for the group. However, in endgame Flashpoints, there was no bias – drops were completely random. We’ve added a strong class bias to the loot drops for the endgame Flashpoints. In most cases, this guarantees a drop that can be used by someone in your group. The bias is an “opt-in” system for each character present. That means that you have the same loot playing as a solo Jedi Sentinel or a full group of Jedi Sentinels.