The Original Begeren Colony Forums

Elblai

It's awesome that BioWare has finally put up server forums dedicated to each server, like many of us have requested so long ago. However, some of us did not wait for the forums to come up on their own, and built something instead: The Unofficial Begeren Colony Forums. And while having our own official place now is nice, there will likely never be the opportunities for an RP server to come together here on SWTOR.com that the admins over at BC.org have offered - such as the ability to chat with other BC'ers, a shared calender for planning events, RP forums, and more.

Because so many of us are already used to using these unofficial forums to plan and enhance our gaming time on Begeren Colony, it's likely you won't see many of us here on the official forums - and we always welcome more players to the forums to continue to enhance everyday playing.

However, none of us wish to create any segment of competition or schism here. While I and many others feel the opportunities and the presentation over at BC.org make those forums BETTER, there will never be a point where those who use it will express any prejudice towards those who prefer the official forums. Our community should be one that thrives to grow together, and not squabble over differences of preference.

We welcome everyone who would like to experience a stable and growing community of players that have been building since even before the first server merges.

Let's make this community the home it was meant to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great idea! This forum is saturated with PvPers.

On a Role Play server.

Go figure.

No, it's pretty logical for communities to form most naturally around PVP, particularly on a small server. It's competitive, so people get emotional about it, commiserate, and high-five one another; it's necessary to cooperate to win, so people communicate; and because everyone's tossed in randomly with everyone else (at most you choose 25% of your warzone), you become familiar with everyone who plays often. Very hardcore people become *very* familiar with one another. And develop mad warzone emoting skills, apparently.

There are fewer RPers, and you get to choose who you RP with, so there's less reason to become familiar with the whole community and (I would guess) it's easy to be cliquish, not approach new people, RP only within your guild, etc.

I don't think PVE would naturally form a community at all, really.. There's no reason to get to know anyone outside your raid group.

I rolled on an RP server because I thought there would be fewer stupid names, and I think I was right.

(OMGTWOLIGHTSABERS gets a pass. Awesome name.)

No, it's pretty logical for communities to form most naturally around PVP, particularly on a small server. It's competitive, so people get emotional about it, commiserate, and high-five one another; it's necessary to cooperate to win, so people communicate; and because everyone's tossed in randomly with everyone else (at most you choose 25% of your warzone), you become familiar with everyone who plays often. Very hardcore people become *very* familiar with one another. And develop mad warzone emoting skills, apparently.

There are fewer RPers, and you get to choose who you RP with, so there's less reason to become familiar with the whole community and (I would guess) it's easy to be cliquish, not approach new people, RP only within your guild, etc.

I don't think PVE would naturally form a community at all, really.. There's no reason to get to know anyone outside your raid group.

I rolled on an RP server because I thought there would be fewer stupid names, and I think I was right.

(OMGTWOLIGHTSABERS gets a pass. Awesome name.)

Actually, this happens because the company running the game (in this case, EAware, World of Warcraft forums suffer from this problem too) makes no real distinction between servers, other that PvP or non-PvP. There is no real difference between a PvE server and a RP server here, other than name.

Lord of the Rings online, however, did make a distinction. Every server forum there has a seperate forum just for the PvPers, so the main forum for a RP server is filled with nothing but RP talk (which is enforced as well, you can't come on to a RP forum and start talking about PvP, they'll just move your post to the PvP forum for that server).

It would be nice if they could do that here, but I doubt they will. Which means this forum will always be dominated by PvPers, forcing RPers to search elsewhere for RP community.

Also, I've been playing MMOs since 1999. In my experience, most PvPers that come to an RP server do so, because they figure PvP will be easier here, or at the very least, because they don't get ganked while levelling like you would on a PvP server.

PvPers on a RP server are psuedo-PvPers. The real PvP happens on PvP servers. Psuedo-PvPers just can't handle the real thing. :w_wink:

I'm not calling anyone out and I'm certainly not going to get into a contest with someone who is upset.

I joined the RP server of VL because like every game where I join an RP server, I love to RP and it is USUALLY full of people who are more respectful, curtious, and/or mature than on regular servers. I did NOT join or even buy the game for PvP, didn't know how that feature was going to pan out or if it would even be fun, I wanted a SW experience.

Low and behold when I got to 50 and people told me that as a jugg tank that I could not join their reindeer games in pve I started queueing for pvp in between my questing and dailys. Then someone found me, talked to me and liked how I handled myself, inviting me to Sors Ruina, a PvP guild that dabbled in PvE. They told me to go dps and we ran actual groups into flashpoints and I got to roleplay with people too.

Servers merged I found a new home and BW said they were giving us server forums. I saw that people were excited about this but people were also posting that there were already established rp forums somewhere else. I decided to check it out, and they were right! I signed up and talked to a few people and they are very welcoming and warm, also they run events and keep most things civil at least.

There is ONE post in all of their forums about pvp, and its only about why people don't rp in wzs. Honestly I don't see why there is a complaint about who is using the forums, they are getting used. Most of the RP community knows that the unofficial forums is where everything is happening and don't want to move from their already established home.

Maybe what you really want is a server that doesn't allow pvp (only game I can recall that ever did that with more than one faction was DAoC) in which case maybe this isn't the game for you, pvp is pretty darn easy to ignore in this game. So lets all be mature about this and not get into a battle of "my gaming style is the only one that should be allowed", and instead be grateful that there are options for people who like them.

I'm not calling anyone out and I'm certainly not going to get into a contest with someone who is upset.

I joined the RP server of VL because like every game where I join an RP server, I love to RP and it is USUALLY full of people who are more respectful, curtious, and/or mature than on regular servers. I did NOT join or even buy the game for PvP, didn't know how that feature was going to pan out or if it would even be fun, I wanted a SW experience.

Low and behold when I got to 50 and people told me that as a jugg tank that I could not join their reindeer games in pve I started queueing for pvp in between my questing and dailys. Then someone found me, talked to me and liked how I handled myself, inviting me to Sors Ruina, a PvP guild that dabbled in PvE. They told me to go dps and we ran actual groups into flashpoints and I got to roleplay with people too.

Servers merged I found a new home and BW said they were giving us server forums. I saw that people were excited about this but people were also posting that there were already established rp forums somewhere else. I decided to check it out, and they were right! I signed up and talked to a few people and they are very welcoming and warm, also they run events and keep most things civil at least.

There is ONE post in all of their forums about pvp, and its only about why people don't rp in wzs. Honestly I don't see why there is a complaint about who is using the forums, they are getting used. Most of the RP community knows that the unofficial forums is where everything is happening and don't want to move from their already established home.

Maybe what you really want is a server that doesn't allow pvp (only game I can recall that ever did that with more than one faction was DAoC) in which case maybe this isn't the game for you, pvp is pretty darn easy to ignore in this game. So lets all be mature about this and not get into a battle of "my gaming style is the only one that should be allowed", and instead be grateful that there are options for people who like them.

Oh, don't get me wrong, its not the PvP players I'm ragging on so much (though I do tend to be biased, as over the years, my experiences with PvPers hasn't been good). Its not their fault they are the most active ones on this forum.

Its EAware's fault. They do nothing to differentiate servers or forums from one anothers. Just PvP or non-PvP servers. Just one forum for both RPers and the PvPers.

I would be PvPing here myself, if the PvP here wasn't such a bad joke.

Not being able to choose what WZ to play in, mixed Republic & Imperial groups in WZs, the many bugs that currently plague PvP, etc. It ruins the whole experience for RPers that like a little PvP.

But that's the problem here, you can't do "just a little PvP". You have to be hardcore to get that good PvP gear and be able to compete with the other PvPers in the WZs. So, I don't touch it here.

I may tease, bug, and ridicule PvPers sometimes, but really, its the setup of the game that makes PvP what is is right now.

And that is unfortunate.

I can understand your frustration surely. I don't know how I manage to have the gear I do and not be hardcore whatever but I do that too. I play anywhere from 3 to maybe 5 games a day, but thats on the days I play, for a several weeks now it has taken me 2-3 weeks to get a weekly done because I'm just not on much, or when I do get on I am RPing or playing with my wife and one of her toons.

Some days I just get a pvp bug up my butt and I spend all day on and get a whole lot of comms, but the next day I say screw this and I spend the entire day with my son or wife or both doing something outside the house. Really I like the pvp here, I can be casual and not feel pressured, but I have also been on the same toon pvping since launch with only small breaks to my other 7 level 50s to mess around with other things.

As far as the forums go, what I was trying to get at earlier is that the RPers seem to not care about moving back here from BG.org and instead choose to stay over there and that leaves this place to the majority of people who don't rp by default, being PvPers. This I am ok with as well, I know that when I come to these forums the type of people I will most likely run into, and when I go to the other ones, I know the quality of the people there. Things that you can say at one you wouldn't say in the other because of people's delicacies.

But I agree that There should be a little more here, there should be sub forums at the very least. Most times I don't know if what is being discussed will be pvp or pve or rp, which mayhap those three subjects could be the heading for the subforums. But as it stands, the BC.org forums are just awesome and very welcoming and open.

I can understand your frustration surely. I don't know how I manage to have the gear I do and not be hardcore whatever but I do that too. I play anywhere from 3 to maybe 5 games a day, but thats on the days I play, for a several weeks now it has taken me 2-3 weeks to get a weekly done because I'm just not on much, or when I do get on I am RPing or playing with my wife and one of her toons.

Some days I just get a pvp bug up my butt and I spend all day on and get a whole lot of comms, but the next day I say screw this and I spend the entire day with my son or wife or both doing something outside the house. Really I like the pvp here, I can be casual and not feel pressured, but I have also been on the same toon pvping since launch with only small breaks to my other 7 level 50s to mess around with other things.

As far as the forums go, what I was trying to get at earlier is that the RPers seem to not care about moving back here from BG.org and instead choose to stay over there and that leaves this place to the majority of people who don't rp by default, being PvPers. This I am ok with as well, I know that when I come to these forums the type of people I will most likely run into, and when I go to the other ones, I know the quality of the people there. Things that you can say at one you wouldn't say in the other because of people's delicacies.

But I agree that There should be a little more here, there should be sub forums at the very least. Most times I don't know if what is being discussed will be pvp or pve or rp, which mayhap those three subjects could be the heading for the subforums. But as it stands, the BC.org forums are just awesome and very welcoming and open.

Cool, bro. :w_cool:

Well, no worries, I DO plan on announcing a RP event. See my posting at BC.org here:

Greetings from Hands of the Council & Project X

I haven't abondoned this forum, but the PvPers will have to put up with my razzing and snide remarks. :w_wink:

Why? Because its so easy. :w_tongue:

Low and behold when I got to 50 and people told me that as a jugg tank that I could not join their reindeer games in pve

Sorry to speak off topic but I read this part and I about fell over. This sentence really does kinda make me sad. Especially since back on VL when I was running the Ops with Jerik (then GM of Ascension) we ran double guardian tanks all the way though Nightmare EV and KP (both 8 and 16's) and got most of the server firsts in those Ops. In my opinion whoever turned you down didn't know what the heck they were doing and it affected your gaming experience in an unwarranted negative way.

It was just about the whole server, I was a tank for a long time and couldn't get in to any flash points. It was odd at the begining, people thought Juggs couldn't AOE tank at all because powertechs could do it easier and they thought Juggs were squishier which I don't get either. Either way once I made battlemaster I dropped my tank spec after being tired of not getting into groups, picked up a dps spec (first vengence then rage), and haven't even considered going back to tanking.

Though I do remember respecing to tank just to help Sors Ruina out every now and again and helped to get the first Soa kill, I never stayed tank for long back then and when they disbanded the guild I decided to never tank again, though people still call me a tank for no good reason.

It was just about the whole server, I was a tank for a long time and couldn't get in to any flash points. It was odd at the begining, people thought Juggs couldn't AOE tank at all because powertechs could do it easier and they thought Juggs were squishier which I don't get either. Either way once I made battlemaster I dropped my tank spec after being tired of not getting into groups, picked up a dps spec (first vengence then rage), and haven't even considered going back to tanking.

Though I do remember respecing to tank just to help Sors Ruina out every now and again and helped to get the first Soa kill, I never stayed tank for long back then and when they disbanded the guild I decided to never tank again, though people still call me a tank for no good reason.

You bring up a good point. I've seen a bit of this myself. People forming groups based on what they've heard or read on the interweb.

I laugh hard when a player has been asking for help on general chat for 10 or more minutes, so you finally cave in and offer your help, only to be told that you are too high lvl and will sap his/her XP from NPC kills.

Suddenly, you realize just how hard XP is to get, and how you never noticed after lvling multiple characters.

Not.

One good thing about it. It makes identifying the Lemmings all the easier.

They're the ones running off the cliff, because the interwebz said so.

Yes, I have offered to help people run whatever FP it is that they want and then they don't want it. Personally I would jump all over the chance at free loot that would help me level my toon while soloing and the chance to go through a fp that will be a definate win. But that is me ><

• 2 years later...

I'm new to this server and to RP. I'm looking for a group of people that are willing to take on a noob to RP and teach them how to do it properly. I've looked at that old website, it's like reading novels, very interesting and so well done. I'm also looking for a guild that does both pvp and pve moderate-heavy. But I think with the knowledge that I'm totally new to RP, a light RP guild would be preferable. Side doesn't matter as I like both. Classes I tend to stick with are anything with guns. I'm not much of a glowstick person. I like the community on the server so far, just need to find my place in it.

Thanks!

Lili