Rouge One - First Impressions

t-darko

So just come home from watching the movie premiere . . .

Before I go on, I'm gonna put my thoughts in spoiler tags, I really urge any other poster that seen the movie to do the same out of respect for those who's yet to watch it. And to You All I Say; Watch it First and come back later and share.

To my surprise I didn't miss the opening crawls, the standard " In a galaxy far, far away . . ." and so on really was enough to set the mood. Right now I would call the movie a Retro, New Thinking Star Warsgasm!! This was the movie I was waiting for, Its old and New at the same time, Gareth managed what JJ failed to deliver, and sadly Lucas manage to cutify away. R1 is dirty, with hardas-s none shiny stormtroopers and the Empire is truly dark and ominous.

R1 has a rare quality that many movies lack nowadays, well haven't seen it since Gladiator really, R1 starts of in a good encouraging way and just gets better and better, sure there's some cheesy stuff, but hey think those a needed, no one likes a movie that take itself too serious(yep, that was a pointer to Zack Snyder). But sure we're going to get haters on this one too, it wouldn't be Star Wars otherwise!

There's as we know a pretty great deal of hinting towards TCW, Saw is getting plenty of screen time, there's also a great deal of link in with Rebels as well. I think the old OT fans gonna nod in recognition on a great many things. There was a constant E4 and even in some aspects a ESB presence in the movie. I

'm gonna catch some more viewings as I always do . . .

EDIT: No not a reference to Red One - ROGUE ONE

Edited by t-darko
change header

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must confess I have zero interest in Rogue 1 and to me the franchise is dead as long as Disney has the rights to it.

If I ever get the urge to be preached at with SJW and feminist issues I'll go take a look, but after TFA I've had enough. I'm also getting bored with the Mary Sue characters as well. These movies are clearly not aimed at my generation of Star Wars fans, they are pitched at a younger Disney fan base.

That's fine though, the EU Star Wars and the Bioware stories are far more interesting.

I must confess I have zero interest in Rogue 1 and to me the franchise is dead as long as Disney has the rights to it....

... but after TFA I've had enough.

I read your input mostly as an ideological statement against "The Man", which I fully respect. I don't really know what your qualms with TFA was or rather is, but, for someone that waited some odd 17 years for the prequels just to be heavily disappointed I really share your concern.

TFA for me is a mixed experience, but there's no way I'm ever gonna be able to write off my Star Wars nerd fan interest even if it's more of an academic interest nowadays, tho I must confess that my scepticism towards Lucas started with the Ewoks and was confirmed by TFM.

I have a very specific Idea of what Star Wars should be after E4 and E5 and R1 is the closest I've seen towards that Idea.

Edited by t-darko

Sorry to be the grammar nazi but Rouge one is a strange mix of french and english for Red One - the leader of Red Squadron. Better change it to Rogue One if you mean the movie.

So ouy di'dnt fgiure hte haedre uot !?;)

Edited by t-darko

Saw it Yesterday and I was kind of disappointed with it. The only good change is that the weakness of the death star was intented. Vader's last scene was kind of amazing too. So many other parts were stupid tho. X-wing destroying AT-AT's from left to right, Darth Vader doing stupid gestures with his hand, that tentacle monster Saw had, Storm troopers being worse than ever etc. I can go on but there were a lot of this in the movie and it really bugged me.

I read your input mostly as an ideological statement against "The Man", which I fully respect. I don't really know what your qualms with TFA was or rather is, but, for someone that waited some odd 17 years for the prequels just to be heavily disappointed I really share your concern.

I'll try to avoid this becoming a rant, but when I took my daughter to see TFA I left incredibly bored and disappointed but she was mildly entertained (sci-fi is not her thing).

Forgive me if I mess up character names but I found them all forgettable:

Rey - classic poster child Mary Sue. It's like they just moulded Luke, Han and Leia into one character. She could do everything, making every other character superfluous. I just found myself not caring about her character at all, like playing a game in god-mode where you cannot lose. Knew more about the millenium falcon than Han Solo...seriously???Clearly a feminist plant.

Kylo - menacing with the mask on, a petulant child you wanted to slap with the mask off. Vader gave me chills, Ren just annoyed me.

Finn - what a waste of a character. Became nothing more than a comic relief sidekick for Rey. When TFA was first announced I though we were going to get a black jedi, which would have been really interesting. I was really excited until they pulled the old bait and switch and gave everything to Rey and made everyone else redundant. By the end of the film I felt embarrassed for him.

I have no issue with female leads when there is a point to it (Kill Bill is one of my all time favourite movies), but I can't stand it when they are used for nothing more than to push the feminist agenda.

Saw it Yesterday and I was kind of disappointed with it. The only good change is that the weakness of the death star was intented. Vader's last scene was kind of amazing too. So many other parts were stupid tho. X-wing destroying AT-AT's from left to right, Darth Vader doing stupid gestures with his hand, that tentacle monster Saw had, Storm troopers being worse than ever etc. I can go on but there were a lot of this in the movie and it really bugged me.

If I ever see this film it would be to see Vader again. Is it true he is only in it for a few minutes?

Imho, "Rogue One" is much better than Episodes IV ("A New Hope") and VI ("TRoJ") IF we don't take under consideration the Force Users' stories of confrontation and interaction...

Scenario and direction are good enough but (imho again...) it could be better sometimes! Disney is giving too much consideration at attempts of emotional capture of the spectators and fans, this is OK but it shouldn't be THE main menu... Globally speaking the scenario is great but many "secondary" details could be better;

the leaders of the "Death Star" project could make use of .... "lie detectors" in due time and the Sith Lords (Darth Sidious, Tyrannus and Vader) are supposed to be more efficient than "Lie Detectors", thus they should have intervened in due time also; obviously this Project deserved a lot of interest and care from their part and particularly when you have to deal with one -more or less- unreliable (if not hostile...) scientific leader!!... I think that the Scenario could fix that by means of minor (but cautious and "deep") modifications... The Force User is neither enough convincing nor enough impressive either and the Scenario did that on purpose; why? There wasn't need for a confrontation with Darth Vader (though it would be great!...) but there was need for a Force User/Jedi who does a little bit more than "faithfully following the Force"... Details of an interesting space-combat were also missing, as an example the Director could make use of not just one "Pusher" but a dozen of such "Pushers" (sacrificing a few in the process...) in order to push the "hibernated" Destroyer on the other!!... Combat formations were also absent though they are obviously great and impressive...

All in all, a good SW movie but I don't like the rise of the pair of just TWO Pylons, the emotional one and the Pylon of the "general story-line compatibility"; these two Pylons are necessary of course but -imho again- it needs more Pylons, namely details' and patterns' elaboration, awe inspiring characters and more elaborated, rational and smart characters' action... Do not suppose that only leading Force Users are smart and cunning ... and do not suppose that George Lucas' recipes are the last word!...

Episodes I, II and III were much more entertaining...

Edited by cunctatorg

My wife and I just returned from viewing this motion picture. She is not a great SW fan but loves sci fi and Trek. Her impressions of the movie were as such: "I did not get a chance to know the characters." also "there was no connection" she also feels the movie was forced...no pun intended.

For me the best parts were Tarkin and his rolling of the letter R's.

Much of the movie was unbelievable......especially CGI Leia at the end spouting off HOPE. I have read much soft cannon and non cannon sources that have eluded that Bail Organas ship was not in this battle aka Audio Drama of Star Wars and for me that has always been the way the story was even if it was not canon. So seeing the ending was not agreeable. Most of the characters were not believable to me.....and they did not invest time into getting to know them...so when they all die....I was like ":whatever". I loved the Tarkin character..absolutely superb.....

The Empire was at the peak of its strength and yet they still loose on land and sea......space is always the rebels forte but the ground is where the empire kicks crack.......not in disneys world I reckon......

I sid enjoy the iconic characters from the CANTINA and Red Leader and Gold leader and a few other cameos but R2 and C3-PO were not necessary.

Overall there was no character development and in the end they killed em all and there was no sadness or reflection......just a shrug of the shoulders........I give the movie a 3 out of 10.

My wife and I just returned from viewing this motion picture. She is not a great SW fan but loves sci fi and Trek. Her impressions of the movie were as such: "I did not get a chance to know the characters." also "there was no connection" she also feels the movie was forced...no pun intended.

For me the best parts were Tarkin and his rolling of the letter R's.

Much of the movie was unbelievable......especially CGI Leia at the end spouting off HOPE. I have read much soft cannon and non cannon sources that have eluded that Bail Organas ship was not in this battle aka Audio Drama of Star Wars and for me that has always been the way the story was even if it was not canon. So seeing the ending was not agreeable. Most of the characters were not believable to me.....and they did not invest time into getting to know them...so when they all die....I was like ":whatever". I loved the Tarkin character..absolutely superb.....

The Empire was at the peak of its strength and yet they still loose on land and sea......space is always the rebels forte but the ground is where the empire kicks crack.......not in disneys world I reckon......

I sid enjoy the iconic characters from the CANTINA and Red Leader and Gold leader and a few other cameos but R2 and C3-PO were not necessary.

Overall there was no character development and in the end they killed em all and there was no sadness or reflection......just a shrug of the shoulders........I give the movie a 3 out of 10.

Disney has already stated that there is no cannon outside of the movies. They axed the EU completely. Leia at the end is now the cannon. I didn't mind the ending much but there were some good stories in the EU that I think Disney Killed way quickly. Regardless, everything we've read about Leia not being there is no longer relevant.

I do agree about the rushed character development. There were many people, Yen and his buddy, a few others I wanted to know more about but this was literally Oceans 11. No one complained that we didn't get the whole backstory on the characters in Oceans 11. All we cared about was the heist. This was the exact same thing.

Well I loved it. But I love war movies, and Rogue One is a war movie imo. Gritty, dirty, and fast-paced, and mindful of the mortality of all involved. Definitely not a kid-friendly kind of film.

And Vader was amazing. Everything I'd hope to see from him. He was in it as much as he needed to be, considering the Death Star was not his baby.

I insist that this movie is enough interesting from a SW point of view and it has some great moments from any artistic/filming point of view; Darth Vader was also fast but a Vader indeed.

I also insist that the maker of these movies has to have ... more artistic ambitions, this is SW but it's also space/exploration movies, "military"/"historic" movies and political allegories of course!

Follow George Lucas' example, not just his (old, first...) recipes; SW is for smart and naive people too, SW is for children, it is for teenagers but also for adults and mature people, SW is for dreamers but for persons with analytical thinking also!... George Lucas followed some recipes during the 1977-1986 Episodes IV, V and VI but he rightly decided to -more or less- modify/enrich these recipes during the 1999-2005 Episodes I - III and it was exactly the success of that newest trilogy that firmly established the status of the SW universe!... Old fans had (and still have!...) complains and such (they rightly insist that Episode V -TESB- was the best; so what?) but nevertheless the newest trilogy was a great success story and that was that; otherwise the status of the SW universe would have been seriously undermined ... or not?!?

My points are that

i) a -basically for adults and smart guys- SW movie could also be exciting for teenagers, children and naive guys, however the opposite is hardly possible... Therefore you have to set priorities alongside the appeal to a wide audience of different tastes!.......

and ii) the film makers need more ambition as the spectators need more excitement, "suspense", dreaming and ... also thinking!!...

It is also true that the very foundation of these movies is i) a fully developed, global but also elaborated -up to the last detail :mad: !!- scenario and ii) an epic and emblematic, even choreographic action, acting, characters' depiction and ideals' presentation and clash!!

I really hope that the Disney guys will eventually find a zone of fertile balance, containing the right directions!!...

Edited by cunctatorg

I rank it up there with Empire as possibly being the best SW movie ever.

People just want hours and hours of character development, due to SW having been out for so long. We've had this universe and characters for so long and they've been developed across so many mediums that we hold the movies to unreal expectations.

Go watch New Hope again with an open mind. There was very little character development. Vader had basically very little screen time. Luke was discovered and wrapped up his backstory in 15 minutes. Han got nothing more than the 'fastest ship in the galaxy' line. The story was about rescuing the princess and stopping this unimaginable death machine from obliterating everything. The characters back story came over the next 2 movies and the 30+ years of video games, cartoons, books, and other things we ravenously devoured because the IP is so immersive.

While I want to know more about the characters in Rogue One, where they came from and how they got there means jack. This was about the heist.

PS: I hated Force Awakens. It was a just bigger, flashier rehash of New Hope with half the heart and plot holes big enough to fly that planet sized death star thru. Rogue One was simple and contained while still being a Star Wars adventure. And thank god, no one instantly became a master in the force like freaking Rey did...

Wow what a complete and utter waste. They could have quite easily made him the central villain, seeing as they got James Earl Jones back to do the voice.

His 5 minutes completely eclipsed his entire run time in Episode 3 though. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch it, honestly.

...t but this was literally Oceans 11....

Might be an age thing but I'd say "The Dirty Dozen" rather. and in that sense the movie has a classic build up and execution.

The characters aren't really the story told here, the story told is How the Death Star Plans happen to come in the rebels possession. The characters take second place to that fact.

His 5 minutes completely eclipsed his entire run time in Episode 3 though. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch it, honestly.

I couldn't agree more, an over use of Vader would have spoiled the movie and is a far to easy way to win Fan Favors, thank god they didn't walk into that trap. I would argue that the concentrated presence of Vader was very well executed.

Well I loved it. But I love war movies, and Rogue One is a war movie imo. Gritty, dirty, and fast-paced, and mindful of the mortality of all involved. Definitely not a kid-friendly kind of film.

And Vader was amazing. Everything I'd hope to see from him. He was in it as much as he needed to be, considering the Death Star was not his baby.

I have to agree, this is the closest we've come to ESB so far . . .

Edited by t-darko

If I ever see this film it would be to see Vader again. Is it true he is only in it for a few minutes?

I just saw it and must say that if you did not like TFA, You may still love this.

It's nothing like TFA. There is a lot of grit and without getting into spoilers you really see the war side of the rebellion and empire.

It really was good and seeing battle scarred stormtroopers and near terrorist militias fighting them was awesome.

There is a female lead but no character is the picture perfect Mary Sue that Rey is.

I have a lot of the same gripes with TFA that you do, but his was totally something cooler

Edited by kirorx

Like many have said here already, I pretty much hated Episode VII and I really liked Rouge 1. It was really a very well executed story, different and fresh thanks to it. I really loathe how much The Force Awakened remade the New Hope, I was dying for a new story and I got it here. Even though it was more or less a supplement filling the gap between the prequels and original trilogy, it honestly tried to do something different and give us a new perspective on things.

Also, fan service was much more subtle than in Episode VII, apart from the very in-your-face ending. All the moments I didn't like in trailers were cut out. Vader was awesome whenever he showed up. Everything just worked, without being a convoluted mess like the newest episode.

But, as someone might have noticed, I hate Episode VII and was desperate for something different. I wasn't very hopeful that Rogue 1 will deliver, but when I saw it going in the right way I was already stoked as hell. So I might be too optimistic about it, but it's a solid 8/10, or 8,5/10 maybe.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

I just saw it and must say that if you did not like TFA, You may still love this.

It's nothing like TFA. There is a lot of grit and without getting into spoilers you really see the war side of the rebellion and empire.

It really was good and seeing battle scarred stormtroopers and near terrorist militias fighting them was awesome.

There is a female lead but no character is the picture perfect Mary Sue that Rey is.

I have a lot of the same gripes with TFA that you do, but his was totally something cooler

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably weaken and go see it if I can convince my daughter to come with during the holidays.

I'll keep an open mind, but the one movie I'm holding out hope for is the Han Solo movie.