Help the tanks and healers

Ok from the start I want to say that tanking has not changed a lot since WoW. What changed is the amount of ranged mobs in every pulls.

Melee heavy pulls: the tank and get all the melee close to him and AoE, in return the DPS can also AoE. Range heavy pull: requires a lot of tank multi-targeting.

In the flashpoints, there are different difficulty of mobs we encounter : weak/normal, strong, elite, champion/boss.

The tank priority is to tank the hardest hitting mobs, so if in a pull there is 5 mobs : 1 elite, 1 strong, 3 normal, the tank should make sure the elite and the strong are hitting on him.

The DPS priority is to eliminate the weakest mobs first, if they don't the healers become the target of all the weak targets. So the DPS kill order should be : weak, strong, elite.

If there is more than 1 elite, crowd control should be used on 1 elite and the kill order stays the same, finishing with the controlled elite.

What can happen if the DPS and the tank don't follow this rule :

CHAOS, tank run around like a chicken trying to get aggro from all the weak so the healer doesn't get killed, have to look at all the mobs and change target and burn taunts on weak mobs. The aggro on the elite is lost because DPS are attacking it. The taunt is... gone, now the tank has to pull every trick in his sleeve to get aggro back from the elite, while the weak are now re-targeting the healer.

In conclusion or TL;DR. DPS your duty is to kill weak/normal target first, then move to strong and finish by elites. Tank, your duty is to tank elites/strong, not weak/normal.

Edited by Gustomucho

In conclusion or TL;DR. DPS your duty is to kill weak/normal target first, then move to strong and finish by elites. Tank, your duty is to tank elites/strong, not weak/normal.

I would clarify that to say

Tank, your duty is to tell DPS to kill the weak ones first when you start the flashpoint.

The threat system , at least in my opinion, is a little off. In other words tanks do not have enough threat generation at the moment. Going to try to add different stats to my jedi shadow to keep the npcs focused on me :D Edited by eldisper

As a tank you should be marking targets and explaining pulls for people, that will simplify everything. The only time you don't need to do this, is when you're repeating content with the same group over and over (IE: Raiding) and everyone just knows what to do.

Ok, so here - Star is CC, thats you Joe, we kill those last ... burn down flame, then blaster ASAP, I'll be focusing on Saber, take him out before moving to star.

If I had macros I'd set the above to a keybind.

Sometimes it's enough to say "Star is CC, kill left to right" - but you get a feel for that with the group you're in.

As a tank you should be marking targets and explaining pulls for people, that will simplify everything. The only time you don't need to do this, is when you're repeating content with the same group over and over (IE: Raiding) and everyone just knows what to do.

Ok, so here - Star is CC, thats you Joe, we kill those last ... burn down flame, then blaster ASAP, I'll be focusing on Saber, take him out before moving to star.

If I had macros I'd set the above to a keybind.

Sometimes it's enough to say "Star is CC, kill left to right" - but you get a feel for that with the group you're in.

Excellent post yes mark the targets, you can also buy a target marker from social vendor which I believe raises the social points , though I am not sure.

Edited by eldisper

I really wish they allowed keybinds on target marking. Its a pain in the rear. As to the target marker you get from the social vendor. Yeah, it was a good idea but the graphic is far to small for people to see... makes it almost worthless

As a tank you should be marking targets and explaining pulls for people, that will simplify everything.

That does not simplify everything, the only reason for marking in FP is CC pulls. If everyone agree on : DPS kills weak, strong, Elite in that order everything run smoothly without having to stop after each pull to mark encounter.

Also on different flashpoints, more mobs will come in the fight, you CANNOT mark them and tank.

Everyone thinks it is the duty of the tank to lead / mark everything in the flashpoint, what I am asking DPS is using the logic and help them autonomously without having the tank doing all the work.

95% of all pulls is : elite, 1-2 strong, multiple weak. Try to do Kaon and marking... the only exception here is the mercenary who will Stun people so they need to go down fast and the bloated needing to go down last.

Edited by Gustomucho

I would clarify that to say

Tank, your duty is to tell DPS to kill the weak ones first when you start the flashpoint.

If you have to tell the DPS this, it's not worth grouping with these terrible players.

I have a similiar feel for marking. I will mark CC targets (it's rare but does happen) but I will not do kill order marking on trash. I will do it on the three sith in Maelstrom Prison and the three Rakghoul in Kaon Under Siege. IMO, if the tank has to mark kill orders for trash, the DPS aren't worth grouping with.

Tanking in this game really isn't much different from WoW. If the tank does not have 90% of the mobs on him either a) the mobs are too spread out to make this feasible (there are select pulls in flashpoints where this is the case) or b) the tank is bad. The only time where I don't have everything on me at once, generally speaking, is when immovable turrets are in the pull. Otherwise I have the hard hitting mobs on me and I position around where the bulk of the weakest mobs are.

Edited by Mavery