Please stop telling people to press spacebar

Cretinus

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was unable to skip the story I would very likely only run it once. I do not watch reruns, I don't care to be forced to watch anything more than once.

Yet, you're playing this game where you repeatedly do the same content.

I started running these HM flashpoints pre 1.2 for columi gear for me and my buddies back when you could only run them once a day and there was no guarantee the drop would be anything any of you could use. I still run them for BH comms and for alts on occasion. So yes, watching the same cutscene I've seen literally 100 times is a waste of my time. Clearly most people feel the same way because it is very rare for a group to watch all the cut scenes anymore. We would prefer to finish the FP quickly and spend our time raiding or doing warzones or whatever. That's our preference, and we are entitled to it just as you are to sit and watch cut scenes all day. If I'm with a group that wants to watch cut scenes, I will happily drop out. If the group doesn't want to watch cut scenes, we will vote kick you so you can find a group that is happy to run the way you want.

As mentioned earlier, when it comes to HM runs I can fully understand wanting to spacebar through it, I only disagree with normal 'story' mode runs where some players may be seeing that FP for the first time while leveling up.

As mentioned earlier, when it comes to HM runs I can fully understand wanting to spacebar through it, I only disagree with normal 'story' mode runs where some players may be seeing that FP for the first time while leveling up.

Fine for story mode. We are talking about HM.

I'll usually skip convos I've already seen, but if I've never seen it before, I'm watching it - yell all you like. Everyone says that, if you want to watch convos, you should join a guild. Well you know what? Join a guild if you DON'T want to watch them.

Well said man. I'm the same way. For class quests and other quests I haven't seen before I rarely, if at all, hit spacebar. If it's anything else, I spacebar through the convo.

People are aware of the spacebar functionality in dialogues. If they don't press spacebar, then that's because they simply don't want to, and not because they are lazy/unaware/in need of guidance etc.

dont like it go find some like minded friends

People are aware of the spacebar functionality in dialogues. If they don't press spacebar, then that's because they simply don't want to, and not because they are lazy/unaware/in need of guidance etc.

Lemme guess...you were doing a HM FP? Story mode is where you need to be to NOT skip. If you're in hard modes, skipping is the expected norm. People are there for the trinkets, not your RP.

As it has been stated ad nausem and ad infinitum, in the myriad of threads that already exist on this very subject ( search is your friend), there is a simple solution to fix this problem:

Add a feature in LFG to select "no space bar" and agrigate people into like minded groups. Simple fix. Perhaps too simple. It's obvious really. :rolleyes:

They need to put in challenge mode versions of the FPs for those who wish to skip all content, bonus bosses. That is the type of content they should be running not the version for those leveling.

It's getting to the point that no one clears the flashpoint.. just look for the quickest way to avoid mobs and get to the end. All leveling FPs should have completion bonuses on them. The closer you are to 100% completion, the better end loot you receive.

I'd rather spend time fighting content than hugging walls to skip it.

Edited by RAZIMx

I can understand watching the dialogue on the way to level 50, even through some of the level 50 instances. However, the one thing I hate is when we are in an instance that a level 50 can easily solo and people insist on watching the dialogue. If you REALLY want to watch the dialogue in places like Esseless, Black Talon, Maelstrom, Foundry, etc. then go solo the place on normal and RP your heart out.

Irrelevant, and a straw man at best. Just because it can be done solo at 50 doesn't mean people should feel compelled to skip dialog. The cutscenes are meant to be watched, with the option to skip. I get that some people like to blow through everything. But if someone doesn't want to skip, they are 100% entitled to watch every second of every cutscene. The same holds true regardless if someone has run the instance once or one hundred times. The bottom line is that non-skippers are 100% in the right and should not be dictated to or pressured into skipping.

Don't like it? Politely ask the group if everyone would spacebar. If not, deal with it or join another group.

As much as I hate to say it but the OP is right. It is their game and you chose to pug it so now you have to deal with it and they can play how they want.

Simply ask them if they don't mind pressing the spacebar. If they say they do mind then there is a kick option which I will not promote to do because that is messed up but the majority rules.

But the flip side is at least show some courtesy if you already saw it before then press the spacebar. There is no need to keep seeing it again. But no one should tell you what to do. People can sit in Fleet and form a group and set the rules then.

Irrelevant, and a straw man at best. Just because it can be done solo at 50 doesn't mean people should feel compelled to skip dialog. The cutscenes are meant to be watched, with the option to skip. I get that some people like to blow through everything. But if someone doesn't want to skip, they are 100% entitled to watch every second of every cutscene. The same holds true regardless if someone has run the instance once or one hundred times. The bottom line is that non-skippers are 100% in the right and should not be dictated to or pressured into skipping.

Don't like it? Politely ask the group if everyone would spacebar. If not, deal with it or join another group.

And players are also 100% entitled to use the spacebar key - using your logic, it's been put there to be used, so I suggest people USE it. I also suggest you take your own advice and ask if people mind watching, if not, deal with it. Neither of you is 'right', it's a group preference. If you can't play well with others, you're free to find another group.

Generally, I'll accept either choice.

Lemme guess...you were doing a HM FP? Story mode is where you need to be to NOT skip. If you're in hard modes, skipping is the expected norm. People are there for the trinkets, not your RP.

I was doing a HM FP? Are you sure? Some people seem to have problems with understanding that not every single toon is a lvl 50 in this game.

Edited by Cretinus

I was doing a HM FP? Are you sure? And based on that (obviously wrong) assumption you tell me how things are in HM FPs? Clever!

Regardless, your thread is redudant, why didn't you use search and read the many MANY other threads on this subject. :rolleyes:

And players are also 100% entitled to use the spacebar key - using your logic, it's been put there to be used, so I suggest people USE it. I also suggest you take your own advice and ask if people mind watching, if not, deal with it. Neither of you is 'right', it's a group preference. If you can't play well with others, you're free to find another group.

Generally, I'll accept either choice.

For reference, I do spacebar usually. But I won't stand for people trying to force it on others. Regardless, if I don't want to spacebar, I don't need the group's permission. Not asking "can I please watch these" is not rude or "wasting everyone's time". Watching the cutscenes is the default action. Spacebar is the exception.

I was doing a HM FP? Are you sure? And based on that (obviously wrong) assumption you tell me how things are in HM FPs? Clever!

I didn't say you were, I guessed you were because THAT is where I see this complaint most often.

Story Mode = story

Hard Mode = trinkets

Skip everything you can in HM's, enjoy the Story in Story mode. Bioware is the one who assigned 'trinkets' to HM FP's, not me. This is a problem they created, not me. I'm telling you what I feel the 'norm' is...don't get mad at me...I only play the game.

I didn't say you were, I guessed you were because THAT is where I see this complaint most often.

Story Mode = story

Hard Mode = trinkets

Skip everything you can in HM's, enjoy the Story in Story mode. Bioware is the one who assigned 'trinkets' to HM FP's, not me. This is a problem they created, not me. I'm telling you what I feel the 'norm' is...don't get mad at me...I only play the game.

Sure, but this keeps happening in STORY MODE and this is what this topic is about. Actually it's not even about whether one should spacebar - yes or no. It's about people harassing others to spacebar although these others obviously don't want to.

Edited by Cretinus

For reference, I do spacebar usually. But I won't stand for people trying to force it on others. Regardless, if I don't want to spacebar, I don't need the group's permission. Not asking "can I please watch these" is not rude or "wasting everyone's time". Watching the cutscenes is the default action. Spacebar is the exception.

That's fine dude, do whatever you like. That's why we have the vote to kick option as well as a leave group option. As I said, I go with the group. If they spacebar, I do. If they watch and I have time, I will. I understand the anger you feel when being told what to do...I dislike that as well...but I take action when something like that happens, I don't whine on the forums.

Sure, but this keeps happening in STORY MODE and this is what this topic is about. Actually it's not even about whether one should spacebar - yes or no. It's about people harassing others to spacebar although these others obviously don't want to.

You have 2 choices then...

QUIT the group or vote to KICK him. He's more than entitled to ask and you're silly to call it "harassment". What you do after he asks is what matters.

That's fine dude, do whatever you like. That's why we have the vote to kick option as well as a leave group option. As I said, I go with the group. If they spacebar, I do. If they watch and I have time, I will. I understand the anger you feel when being told what to do...I dislike that as well...but I take action when something like that happens, I don't whine on the forums.

Do you not see the incredible arrogance and selfishness or using vote to kick if someone won't deviate from the normal method of playing a flashpoint. If you feel you need to leave the group, sure. But don't be a jerk about it ans try to get them kicked. That's just not cool.

I agree that in Hard Mode you should probably space bar. If you don't want to then it doesn't bother me because there aren't really THAT many conversations in a FP (except Esseless/Black Talon I guess).

Also, if someone specifically says that it is a social run then you better space bar, since that's the whole point.

I usually like to watch the story my first time through. I will also make sure to ask the group if its fine with them before hand. I can only think of one instance where the group needed to get the FP done quickly (I think someone really needed to get to sleep or something), so as long as you ask to watch the story people seem to not care about it.

Do you not see the incredible arrogance and selfishness or using vote to kick if someone won't deviate from the normal method of playing a flashpoint. If you feel you need to leave the group, sure. But don't be a jerk about it ans try to get them kicked. That's just not cool.

How am "I" being a jerk?! "I" am the one willing to go with majority opinion. YOU are the closed minded one who refuses to spacebar. YOU are the elitist in this scenario, not ME. I suggest you be a team player if you wanna group with others. If you don't, I really have no sympathy for you at all.