Mandalorians, Boba and the new universe

Ok not sure if this has been posted but because of all this fn pardon my language disney stuff and how they are getting rid of the EU which brought in thousands of fans and so forth i have been hearing that Boba fett and Jango are not Mandalorian and many others we thought where mandalorians might not be. I am sorry i just dont understand that. Why would they do that and is it true that they aren't Mandalorian if not then what are they. I could of sworn that while watching the movies and the clone wars series that the clones war of Mandalorian Decent so wouldn't that make Boba Mandalorian cause he is a clone and in turn jango.

Also what does that mean this new universe and new canon mean for the mandalorians especially since most mandalorians we know are comics, games and eu?

Think we still need to wait and see what becomes of that whole shtick.

Though to be fair, Jango/Boba were never stated to be Mandalorians in the movies(or books of said movies IIRC). They were just bounty hunters, people just assumed they were Mandalorians just because of their armor. All of the Mandalorian thing came from the EU.

Now depending on how this goes, they could still very well be Mandalorians. But were just gonna have to wait and see.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

According to the online Encyclopedia:

A faceless enforcer, Boba Fett's distinctive, customized Mandalorian armor strikes fear in the hearts of fugitives.

However that is the only mention of Mandalorian on either of their pages. I somehow doubt this will change, however to be quite honest I always saw the term Mandalorian in application to them as quite loose, they have no clan etc. etc.

EDIT: Oh, that reminds me. Boba Fett in the movies has the Mandalorian symbol tattooed on his armor. I really doubt what in the end is an effective plot point will change in the future, but then there might be a Boba movie right?

Edited by Beniboybling

According to the online Encyclopedia:

A faceless enforcer, Boba Fett's distinctive, customized Mandalorian armor strikes fear in the hearts of fugitives.

However that is the only mention of Mandalorian on either of their pages. I somehow doubt this will change, however to be quite honest I always saw the term Mandalorian in application to them as quite loose, they have no clan etc. etc.

EDIT: Oh, that reminds me. Boba Fett in the movies has the Mandalorian symbol tattooed on his armor. I really doubt what in the end is an effective plot point will change in the future, but then there might be a Boba movie right?

He could have just taken some Mandalorian armor, doesn't need to be a Mandalorian to have the armor. I mean if he took and wore Stormtrooper armor, would that make him a Stormtrooper?

Perhaps he hunted down a Mandalorian and took his armor while as a bounty hunter? He could have gotten it off a vendor? Maybe just found it? Could be many ways that Boba had acquired some Mandalorian armor and then modified it.

In fact the bit with hunting down a Mandalorian would make for an interesting story.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

He could have just taken some Mandalorian armor, doesn't need to be a Mandalorian to have the armor. I mean if he took and wore Stormtrooper armor, would that make him a Stormtrooper?

Perhaps he hunted down a Mandalorian and took his armor while as a bounty hunter? He could have gotten it off a vendor? Maybe just found it? Could be many ways that Boba had acquired some Mandalorian armor and then modified it.

In fact the bit with hunting down a Mandalorian would make for an interesting story.

If he wore stormtrooper armor and had a Empire poster stuck up in his room? I'd at least assume he had Imperial relations. :p

In TCW series Obi-wan mentioned to Duchess Satine about Jango being a Mandalorian.

However, her adviser goes off saying stuff about him just being a bounty hunter.

Now Jango would have been the most recent Mandalore, before his death, and this could have been the adviser's way of separating the current pacifistic government from their traditions and trying to denigrate Jango at the same time.

But that's the only time I can think of when Jango is mentioned in relation to the Mandalorians.

This is what people don't realize about the destruction of the EU. They say "it's all crap anyways," but they don't seem to realize that mandalorians didn't exist in ANY of the movies. So now Boba and Jango Fett are now just bounty hunters, the aggressive mandalorians are seen ONLY as renegade mandalorians, not as warriors trying to return their true heritage. In the clone wars, the mandalorians are "peaceful people trying to forget their warrior past," and death watch is the bad guy (to be fair they are evil and Jaster Mereel's soldiers are the true mandos). We don't see any mandalorians protectors so that would mean that they don't exist anymore. So ultimately the Mandalorians are now going to be garbage in the new stuff Disney produces. This is why people should be ticked off at Disney for this, no more mandos.

I hope we do get some mando love, and Jango and Boba aren't retconned as not being mandalorians. TCW already made it a struggle to make other mando stuff fit properly (Open Seasons comic and Republic Commando novels), so I just pray it's not all wiped from existence.

In the Special features of the Season 2 disc of TCW, Dave Filoni describes the roots behind the creation of the Mandalorian story arc and reveals that the idea of the arc comes DIRECTLY FROM THE EU. Added to that, mention of a Mandalorian Civil War is brought up at least twice.

"Before the end of our wars we turned it (Concordia) into a mining base" - Satine addressing Concordia's barren nature.

"A Civil War destroyed most of her people"- Obi-wan to Anakin onboard the Coronet

With these two comments in mind, we can at least assume that the Mandalorian Civil War did occur but probably not in the way that we think it did. I also have heard mention that TCW made a reference to the Mandalorian Wars as well but from what I have been hearing, it seems that instead of being just before the Jedi Civil War on the galactic timeline, TCW may have moved it to somewhere between the last battle of Ruusan and the Invasion of Naboo. I will try to dig up more information on this when I can.

Now in regards to Jango Fett and Boba Fett being Mandalorians. Dave Filoni suggests that Jango Fett IS A MANDALORIAN warrior but few knew of his status as one, those few seem to include the New Mandalorians. With this in mind, it seems they are trying to go with Jango Fett being more of a secret Mandalorian, or a Bounty Hunter who is a Mandalorian as a side job if you will.

"Jango Fett is a Mandalorian but Boba Fett is not."- Dave Filoni in the "Mandalore Plot" featurette of the Season Two Disc

After hearing the above comment made by Dave Filoni, it is now very clear cut on what angle they have taken with the Fett Legacy. Jango Fett was a Mandalorian Warrior secret or not, however is son Boba Fett just followed a similar code of honor and wore the armor.

"Boba Fett is not a Mandalorian but during his time as a bounty hunter he gather old or lost pieces of Mandalorian armor in honor of his father's warrior past." -Dave Filoni

Now I'll admit I paraphrased a bit with that last one but that is essentially what it boils down to.

If you think about it, this is almost in keeping with Kriea's vision of a future with the Mandalorians becoming extinct. She makes a remark about one final Mandalorian battling and finally being destroyed by the Jedi ( ie Jango Fett) and that upon his death there would never again be another Mandalorian.

Taking into account that TCW has been declared as part of the New Canon it is safe to assume that:

1.) Jango Fett is a Mandalorian

2.) There was a Mandalorian Civil War

3.) There were a few references to a Jedi vs. Mandalorian War ( murals and this comment.)

"These warriors have fought against the Jedi in the past." -Obi-wan in reference to the Mandalorians

Hope this helps to clarify things.

I always thought Boba was not a mandalorian up until a few years after he had escaped the sarlacc pit.

If the new universe retcons his escape and he did actually die in the sarlacc, then he technically never was a mandalorian, so Filoni's statement on Boba not being mandalorian would be correct.

However, hopefully we do see a Boba live and well in the new films.

• 2 months later...

Cassus fett right hand to mandalore in the mandalorian wars was mandalorian

cassus fett

jango fett

boba fett

I think jango and boba are of mandalorian decent but in the time they were alive the mandalorians had faded into just history infact I remember reading somewhere that all that was left of the true mandalorians was there armour and myth in the era of the clone wars, but lore also states that the armour was earned from the mandalorians by jango

so I feel hes of mandalorian decent but is a outsider to the mandalorian ways

Cassus fett right hand to mandalore in the mandalorian wars was mandalorian

cassus fett

jango fett

boba fett

I think jango and boba are of mandalorian decent but in the time they were alive the mandalorians had faded into just history infact I remember reading somewhere that all that was left of the true mandalorians was there armour and myth in the era of the clone wars, but lore also states that the armour was earned from the mandalorians by jango

so I feel hes of mandalorian decent but is a outsider to the mandalorian ways

You don't really know anything about Mandalorians do you?

It's alright, here try this and read the Republic Commando series.

Also, Boba was taught Mando ways as a kid by his father but yes, he never saw himself as a Mandalorian but by choice. Plus, lore makes no such statement about where Mandalorian armor comes from...

Edited by StarSquirrel

You don't really know anything about Mandalorians do you?

It's alright, here try this and read the Republic Commando series.

Also, Boba was taught Mando ways as a kid by his father but yes, he never saw himself as a Mandalorian but by choice. Plus, lore makes no such statement about where Mandalorian armor comes from...

Lawls. I heard that the Mandalorians all became pacifists. :p

One thing you have to remember about Mandalorians. Don't have to be born one to become one. They actually consider adoption just as strong as blood. Jango was born one and whether he wanted to admit it or not he was Mandalorian as is Boba Fett. To claim they are otherwise is silly.

Being mandalorian isn't so much about blood lines as it is, a lifestyle and a code. Any idiot can put on a set of mando armor and strut around like they are one, but ya gotta live it to be it.

Jango Fett was mando. It's just too bad that in TCW we never saw commando teams, Kal Skirrata, or Walon Vau. I think it's an injustice to cut them out.

There are few things to be said about this topic. I haven't watched tcw so I don't know every quote . But I have read extensively about mandos on pedia(too lazy to write the full name lol). I'll begin here during swtor.

Bounty hunter storyline lets you define your character as either Mandalorian(won't kill helpless/brought down people, won't shoot in the back, will massacre only and only if someone offended it directly) or as a, well..., Mercenary (in it for money, will punch people for the lulz, will sell into slavery, will backstab etc). The end choice, but not only it, makes you fully aware of what you have become. I feel like if a lot people missed this and then promptly advanced to bash the BH storyline. Is it more action packed than most? Yes it is. Does it sometimes fall down to Seagal/van Damme Pits of logic? Yes it does. But it is also filled with tiny tiny details which just wait around to be skipped over. And they are going to be skipped over IF you don't know a thing about mando culture.

Second is what has been mentioned at the very end of last paragraph. Mandos are not race. They aren't even an army or a civilisation. They are a cultural belief. A way of living if you will. ANYONE can become mando as long as he understands a) honour and b) discipline in order to succeed. Spartan way of living, yes. Although they often wear those Armours, they don't define them. Why? Because as I already said quite clearly, anyone can be a mando. A smuggler, a stormtrooper, a bantha herder, a miner and, if I am correct, even a Jedi. That's their biggest strength-the pervasiveness of their belief.

Finally, we have Jango + Boba. I think that Jango was a mando, but Boba? I think he fits the profile of a Mercenary more. Don't forget that mercs do almost everything that true mandos don't. As for Armour...he could've gotten it anywhere. An attire, most often but not always, does not define a person. There is an upcoming movie where Boba is the Main character. We'll see after that where we are headed.

Speaking of heads. When Mace(I think it was him) kills Jango on Geonosis, his head(or helm ;) ) rolls over to boba. What do you think Lucas thought Boba saw? A head of his abruptly deceased father or a Mandalorian helmet being passed down to him? I have a hunch it's the former, but you never know right?

There are few things to be said about this topic. I haven't watched tcw so I don't know every quote . But I have read extensively about mandos on pedia(too lazy to write the full name lol). I'll begin here during swtor.
Say the Wookiee, pedia sounds like something else lol. :p