Why does SORPIO suck?

Sportiva

Leveling an Operative, which will be my 8th and last level 50, and loving every minute of it. Wish I had made him my first toon, so I would have had the desire to really know every facet of the class like I know the earlier classes I leveled.

Any how, can anyone give me a succinct reason why SCORPIO is horrible in comparison to Kaliyo even though my SCORPIO is better equipped? Primarily, she seems to take a ton more damage; she also doesn't keep aggro nor deal the DPS that I get from Kaliyo.

SCORPIO has a few things going for it that Kaliyo just can't compete with. And yes, like the previous reply stated, turn on tank stance, and equip a shield.

1: SCORPIO is a melee tank, whereas Kaliyo is ranged. This means that SCORPIO will run back to it's target when knocked back, to better hold mobs in place when the operative (healer) is trying to avoid point-blank AoE effects. Kaliyo will only close with a target when her jet charge ability is available, and her target is in the right ranges.

2: SCORPIO does WAY more damage than Kaliyo does at level 50 with equal gear. I think this has something to do with the weapon selections available. SCORPIO (equipped with a tech staff) puts out more damage per hit than Kaliyo (equipped with a blaster rifle) can, especially when you factor in that both companions have mostly abilities that damage within 10 meters, and kaliyo WILL NOT gap close unless storm is available.

3: A point for Kaliyo, she is MUCH easier to gear than SCORPIO is. mostly because Kaliyo is a paper doll for player gear, whereas SCORPIO needs all crafted armorings for it's equipment. BUT, if you are willing (read crazy enough)

to go the extra mile and have the mandalorian war droid gear pieces crafted, SCORPIO will put even a rakata geared Kaliyo to shame for mitigation, damage dealt, and threat generation.

The guy above said it best with she's a melee tank vs Kaliyo is a ranged tank.

I personally never had an issue when I used Scorpio, but everyone has different experiences. I actually roll with Raina on my Op almost exclusively now though, even after leveling my 2nd Op.

Edited by randiesel

All the tank companions sucks until you get real tanking stat gear. This means almost level 40 on and even then they have to have EQUAL level gear on them. Basically, unless you spend a ton of cred on them you won't see them tank well until end game when they start getting tionese or better from all your hand me downs.

Any tank companion in columi or better gear is pretty damn tough and I have even used them in some lesser HM's. Had one tank SX 4 man easily too but sadly you need 4 players to finish the end of it.

I level my slinger now with HK-51 though and won't gear up a tank until end game as isn't needed. I kill crap fast!

Edited by Tamanous

I was forced, against my will, to go to SCORPIO for my level 50/Corellia missions, and once I got through the pain of gearing her up, I decided I liked her(?) better anyway.

As a concealment Opereative, I don't care about companion DPS output.. i just want her to get as much agro on as many things as possible, so I can kill them. I always gear them using as much defense/tanking gear as possible (as opposed to DPS gear).

I was forced, against my will, to go to SCORPIO for my level 50/Corellia missions, and once I got through the pain of gearing her up, I decided I liked her(?) better anyway.

As a concealment Opereative, I don't care about companion DPS output.. i just want her to get as much agro on as many things as possible, so I can kill them. I always gear them using as much defense/tanking gear as possible (as opposed to DPS gear).

This, and I leveled as a healer. I've used Vector with his blade ward on from the moment I got him. When I got SCORPIO, I crafted some cybertech droid parts and bought an epic crafted techstaff for her twice (Dirt cheap, since there isn't a lot of demand for defense stat crit crafted techstaves) and used her through Voss and Corellia and never looked back. After gearing her up, I really prefer Scorpio above others.

• 3 weeks later...