Just cancelled my WoW Annual Pass.

Wrevan

That's right, the supposedly-irrevocable contract for continuing to pay for one whole year of World of Warcraft (it's almost as if Blizzard knew they were going to lose players to SWTOR huh) by removing all forms of payment from my Battle.net account.

Why did I ever get into it to begin with? Diablo 3 of course (I was hoping for a secret increase in chances of getting into the beta) but I'll buy that on its own when the time comes.

Having played since the launch of Cataclysm, I was fed up with WoW breaking down into a mind-numbing weekly routine between patches after you hit 85: Cap your Valor & Conquest every Wednesday, run Baradin Hold and the latest raid (FL/DS) by Thursday, and .....that's it.

Between point caps and the raid all you see is LFMs for legacy content just for Achievements or vanity gear.

PvP'ers will argue but I don't believe in playing an MMORPG just for PvP - I have better-balanced and more-competitive games like StarCraft for that.

BEFORE cap, oh hell don't remind me that nightmarish grind for XP with absolutely zero options in the way you do a particular quest or dungeon. I know, at least that's about 100% more options there are in character customization...right? *cough*

In SWTOR, I'm having fun playing just for the sake of playing, although I do miss being able to actually sit in chairs, and that's all for my contribution to TOR love today. Thanks for reading :)

Edited by Wrevan

Yeah. WoW really felt more like a job than a game there at the end. I quit last March and never looked back once. I don't begrudge Blizzard over the 6 years I spent with their game, but never once did I see the 'war' in 'warcraft.' The best they ever managed was 'smallscaleskirmishcraft.'

Good Sir...i Agree fully...an yea...i removed all my payment options as well...when i realized i actually cant get out of it....the hell with that account entirely...if i knew this game was comming out...would sooooooo not have done that..n i only did it for d3...shoulda bought the damn thing...i guess thats what we get for being cheap right? :D lol

back in the days of the classis WOW....that game was kinda like this one....it wasnt dumbed down as it is now to suit child or childish players...lvling actually takes long in this game...and zomg did i just die from a mob? i love it! :D

Edited by Kiwimeister

Sadly I don't forsee endgame in TOR being any different, cap your warzone stuff do your dailies, do the OP's and FP's

MMO's are basicly all the same at heart.

I haven't seen TOR's endgame but I see what you mean.

However TOR lets you experience the game more differently the 2nd time around with other classes than WoW does, because of its story and path choices.

TOR also has more potential for adding totally new environments in patches (unlike WoW which only introduces new areas in expansions) simply because the setting is based across planets instead of continents.

One thing I'll give WoW, is the different starting regions for each race. I was disappointed in having to go through Dromund Kaas on my Sith Warrior just like I did on my Bounty Hunter.

I haven't seen TOR's endgame but I see what you mean.

However TOR lets you experience the game more differently the 2nd time around with other classes than WoW does, because of its story and path choices.

TOR also has more potential for adding totally new environments in patches (unlike WoW which only introduces new areas in expansions) simply because the setting is based across planets instead of continents.

One thing I'll give WoW, is the different starting regions for each race. I was disappointed in having to go through Dromund Kaas on my Sith Warrior just like I did on my Bounty Hunter.

I feel more motivation to roll alts in TOR. I actually want to see the story from different angles. I need to have at least 4 different classes maxed before I start to question endgame. I figure that gives Bioware about a 6-month cushion to get the endgame squared away for players like me.

If you're playing the game as a 'one account, one main' affair, you're doing it wrong. And I am not trying to be obnoxious; there seriously is more to be had from leveling alts than there is in other titles.

People spend more time in this game talking about wow then people in wow talk about wow.

it's like one big AA group for former wow players who are trying to convince themselves/others that they are over their addiction.

I don't know about your WoW server, but people on mine talk about SWTOR often, and most of the times WoW loyalists don't come up with anything in WoW's defense, other than "den wy ar yu steel playing this" as if you could only play one MMO ever :rolleyes:

but yes, TOR draws on WoW's strengths, and adds some things better. It's only natural to compare, AND SCREAM OUR REJOICING TO THE WHOLE WORLD FOR FINALLY, OH LAWD FINALLY BEING FREED FROM THAT TRAP OF MEDIOCRITY, if you're a former Warcrafter :p

Edited by Wrevan

People spend more time in this game talking about wow then people in wow talk about wow.

it's like one big AA group for former wow players who are trying to convince themselves/others that they are over their addiction.

Lol I agree...as a Guild Wars and former SWG player I find it pretty annoying...WoW this, WoW that...when is it TOR's turn?

Edited by Itose

I don't know about your WoW server, but people on mine talk about SWTOR often, and most of the times WoW loyalists don't come up with anything in WoW's defense, other than "den wy ar yu steel playing this" as if you could only play one MMO ever :rolleyes:

but yes, TOR draws on WoW's strengths, and adds some things better. It's only natural to compare, AND SCREAM OUR REJOICING TO THE WHOLE WORLD FOR FINALLY, OH LAWD FINALLY BEING FREED FROM THAT TRAP OF MEDIOCRITY, if you're a former Warcrafter :p

Sweet stuff. I do understand why someone would want to get the annual pass. Diablo 3 is pretty tempting, but I believe you made the right decision in the long run. It's a way for blizzard to 'lock in' subscribers for a year and It's probably a lot cheaper just buying D3.

If you're playing the game as a 'one account, one main' affair, you're doing it wrong. And I am not trying to be obnoxious; there seriously is more to be had from leveling alts than there is in other titles.

Just because they aren't playing it the way you are doesn't mean anyone is doing it wrong. That is a rather selfish attitude.

I played WoW as well, I stopped playing in april 2011 and signed back up when I saw the 1 year deal to get diablo III. Then I got an invite to the SWTOR beta and cancelled the wow 1 year agreement since it was within the 30 days from when I signed up. Really loving this game right now. Not too much to do at 50 so I just made another character to mess around wtih until more people in my guild are at 50 to group up with.

Sweet stuff. I do understand why someone would want to get the annual pass. Diablo 3 is pretty tempting, but I believe you made the right decision in the long run. It's a way for blizzard to 'lock in' subscribers for a year and It's probably a lot cheaper just buying D3.
Depends on what D3 finally costs, and any Deluxe/Collectors' editions etc. The Annual Pass was adding up to around $180, so that's almost twice the price of D3 on its own, but including a full year of WoW. I guess it's good for those who were going to play WoW anyway, but I felt gypped for letting myself get locked in :\ for an obvious attempt at keeping customers away from their competition.

Having played since the launch of Cataclysm, I was fed up with WoW breaking down into a mind-numbing weekly routine between patches after you hit 85: Cap your Valor & Conquest every Wednesday, run Baradin Hold and the latest raid (FL/DS) by Thursday, and .....that's it.

Slightly off point to the whole thread but I feel for you. Starting in Cataclysm would have been horrific. They really gutted the game with it.

Slightly off point to the whole thread but I feel for you. Starting in Cataclysm would have been horrific. They really gutted the game with it.
I know, I've had that feeling myself, even without others telling me that. I've watched the older raids on youTube, like the Ahn'Qiraj one with whole servers needing to come together and the Old God bosses and everything, and they seemed a lot more exciting than the battle with Mr. Dudwing.

A contract is a contract. If you don't pay because you removed payment options, it's not going to end well for you. Be careful.

Other people on their forums claim to have legitimately cancelled by saying they had to be deployed overseas and whatnot. I had a unique reason myself that rendered the game unplayable for me on one of my main characters: "too much gold" to transfer out of a heavily-overpopulated server, so

Edited by Wrevan

Uh, you realize ToR is a traditional mmo just like WoW. If you are bored of the end game in WoW, you will be bored with it here. It's the same type of grind....grind levels>grind dungeons/flashpoints>raid.

BEFORE cap, oh hell don't remind me that nightmarish grind for XP with absolutely zero options in the way you do quests and dungeons. I know, at least that's about 100% more options there are in character customization...right? *cough*

Nightmarish grind for XP? In WoW? Are you joking? WoW is probably the fastest game to level in. If you have an issue with leveling in WoW you will hate ToR...particularly when you get to levels 30+.

Not saying ToR is a bad game, but it seems very odd that you are bored with WoW for things that are in this game as well. What happens when all the shiny newness of this game wears off?

The story quests in ToR are much better than questing in WoW. That is something ToR definitely has on WoW. I also like the more serious tone of the quests. WoW tends to have alot of campy things and pop culture references. Gets annoying after a while.

Edited by deneeve

A contract is a contract. If you don't pay because you removed payment options, it's not going to end well for you. Be careful.

I don't think he did it on his own. As someone who has also cancelled their annual pass I had to call customer support and have them remove it as there is no option for the user to do it once signed up, they block that portion out on your account management.

Even still, if he did do it on his own it will just flag his account for ineligibility for future promotions, blizzard isn't going to come after anyone.

Nightmarish grind for XP? In WoW? Are you joking? WoW is probably the fastest game to level in.
I didn't say it was slow :p

It is just largely pointless - There is no goal in questing/dungeons/PvP but xp xp xp.. nothing to advance but your level until you cap. WoW is heavily biased towards the endgame, with no cohesion or theme between way too many disconnected quests. No point in any uncapped Profession either as no one stays in any level range long enough for most under-85 player crafted items to be useful.

Edited by Wrevan

Hello everyone,

Threads in the general discussion forum should be focused on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ gameplay. We encourage you to make threads or join in on discussions about specific game-related topics but are going to close this thread as it is off-topic.