Group Chat Disabled for F2P?

Efvie

Playing with somebody who is just trying the game out, a F2P player. It appears that they are not able to use the group chat (/say works). I know that F2P is restricted from /general etc. but is it really /group too, or is this some weird bug?

…Because that’s ridiculous. How am I supposed to help my friend? If I join or invite someone, I trust them enough that spam isn’t a problem.

afaik, Group Chat isn't supposed to be disabled for Free players. I've grouped with friends of mine who were Free and back on the PTS at a time when everyone was, and was able to speak freely.

Could be a bug? There's been enough of them after update 2.8, it could be one I haven't previously seen reported.

Nope it's /group. Worked fine for me what I was a f2p. Those folks aren't on your ignore list by any chance?

I’ll double-check, but I doubt it. The screenie I saw showed the red text about F2P channels restricted and to sub to get rid of the restriction.

It’s also possible that the player simply couldn’t use it, somehow, but instructing to do '/say Hi' (worked) and then '/group Hi' (didn’t work) makes that seem unlikely.

Nope it's /group. Worked fine for me what I was a f2p. Those folks aren't on your ignore list by any chance?
You can use /party (or just /p) to talk to your group. I do it all the time, since I also tend to just use /g instead of /guild for guild chat. Which makes me wonder if they were trying to shorten /group to /g and getting an error due to not being in a guild.

You can use /party (or just /p) to talk to your group. I do it all the time, since I also tend to just use /g instead of /guild for guild chat. Which makes me wonder if they were trying to shorten /group to /g and getting an error due to not being in a guild.

/party failed with the same error message. Others actually also mentioned that below level 10, even guild chat is disabled for F2P (for those who are in a guild)…

We’re almost to level 10, but this policy seems absurd, at best—if it indeed is not some bizarro bug on some accounts only, for example…

ETA: This is on an EU server, by the way, forgot to mention since I’m usually on the US servers. …Although I can’t imagine it would be different between US/EU? I suppose anything is possible.

Edited by Efvie

afaik, Group Chat isn't supposed to be disabled for Free players. I've grouped with friends of mine who were Free and back on the PTS at a time when everyone was, and was able to speak freely.

Could be a bug? There's been enough of them after update 2.8, it could be one I haven't previously seen reported.

Just confirming that Group Chat was disabled for me below level 10 before I subscribed.

I'm wondering if it's a bug though, because it allowed me to speak in group once, then I got the F2P message every time after. /shrug

The only work-around I found to communicate was using:

/em says Important Stuff Here

(In a perfect world, this would be an image of my sig) http://www.rokzon.com/1m4g3s/acidon_sig_480x140_01.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I thought I'd check in and mention for all those looking for information that as of the date of this post this bug still appears to be around. A friend of mine was experiencing the same issue of not being able to use party chat until after level 10 as a F2P player.

Off the top of my head I assume it's a bug where the game can't differentiate between general and party when restricting chat below level 10.

A couple of weeks ago on an alt account of mine that's f2p, the under 10 chat was totally disabled. My apologies to the poor guy who grouped to try to help out on some starter heroics. That silent Agent was me.

I may have a future though it seems working as a mime, thanks EA/BW!