life day items on cartel market insulting.

gabarooni

arguing instead of providing proof..I said i don't deny people left and probably quite a few..you said 2,000,000 another claims its in financial statements and neither has stepped up and backed up their words.

The burden of proof isn't on me, its on the person making the claims. You made a statement in public, I'm calling out that statement and asking for proof of it.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/

Total Units

North America:

1.31m

51.8%

+ Europe:

0.89m

35.1%

+ Rest of the World:

0.33m

13.1%

= Global

2.54m

total copies of the game sold

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-sales-beat-targets-star-wars-takes-hit-2012-05-07?siteid=yhoof2

But “Star Wars: The Old Republic” showed signs of weakening. EA said active subscribers totaled 1.3 million at the end of the quarter — down 24% from the 1.7 million reported at the end of the December period, when the game first launched.

So thats may 2012 at 1.3mil subs down from 1.7mil subs

http://4playernetwork.com/blog/2012/07/star-wars-the-old-republic-subs-drop-below-1-million-goes-free-to-play-in-november/

Today, in an investor call with Electronic Arts, it's been revealed that subscribers for the Bioware Star Wars MMO have dropped below 1 million. And while no actual subscriber number was given, EA said that it was still "well over" 500,000...still, a paultry number for a Star Wars game developed in what was, at one time, a hugely successful business model.

this was around the FTP announcement where no sub numbers where given apart from they where above 500k now not sure why they used 500k if they are above 600k or 700k etc or w/e but EA didnt release figures this time we may need to wait till the new financial year for them to say how low the game got and compare it to what FTP has done for it.

Theres the links for the sub drops etc

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully appreciate now after the release of 1.6 that a subscription is the equivalent to a monthly bulk discount on unlocks in the cartel shop. No more, no less. As a subscriber until now, free-to-play has not directly affected my enjoyment beyond the noticeable increase in population -- a good thing. I was even a bit encouraged by the cartel shop, considering it somewhat of an in-game horse armor / pet shop. Yes, I'm fine with horse armor if you enjoy that sort of thing. Personally, I won't be spending currency on vanity items I'd normally associate with a holiday event -- especially at current prices. Subscriptions aren't what they used to be. Patch 1.6 has changed my perception of the game.

Electronic Arts: I'd pay some cartel coins as ransom for the return of Holiday for my two consulars. Similarly, I absolutely have cartel coins to spend so my companions can re-learn to sheath their light sabers. Could we perhaps get some Cosmetic Bug Extermination Packs in the cartel shop?

Edited by tzipidamus

I've been a strong supporter of the cartel store but putting the Life Day items in the store without an event to get them in-game is total BS. Even if the event was "take these presents to the orphans on Corellia (insert other planets here) but watch out for Grinches (or whatever the Life Day equivalent is)" it would have been a thousand times more acceptable than forcing people to buy them (if they want them).

I agree COMPLETELY. They should have had an event with holiday quests on the home planets to obtain these items. It's also ridiculous that the cool new weapons all drop from packs now. F2P isn't win.......

Yes, some pretty cool weapons drop rng from the packs. That is why you get them on the GTN. I got all the previous Cartel-weapons of the GTN. If I would have gotten them from packs it would have been a fortune in Cartel Coins. I got 4 packs for the fun of it, and then i bought the things I really wanted of the GTN.

I would not recommend buying Packs until you get a specific cool weapon. Unless the rng-gods are nice to you than they usually are to me :p

Although EA seems to be finding new and innovative ways to be the industry pioneer in incredibly crass monetization, I'm actually okay with this. The Life Day packs thing that is (seeing space gear on the market makes my blood boil).

See, I've seen the Star Wars Christmas Special.

There's no greater middle finger than to make anything bearing the name of Life Day cost $20+, and then to refuse to spend development time on an ingame event for it.

Seriously, **** Life Day.

I've been a strong supporter of the cartel store but putting the Life Day items in the store without an event to get them in-game is total BS. Even if the event was "take these presents to the orphans on Corellia (insert other planets here) but watch out for Grinches (or whatever the Life Day equivalent is)" it would have been a thousand times more acceptable than forcing people to buy them (if they want them).

Hmm... I wouldn't be upset if there were no event, but december isn't over yet. It might just be some kind of event. Otherwise I guess that the best thing is to get them from GTN. I'll put up a Revan robe there myself and see how much that will let me get on the GTN. More interested in new weapons than robes.

Just a question: weren't those events in already before LOTRO went F2P? I honestly don't know because I didn't play it.

Because that would explain at least half the reason not to make them cost money in LOTRO.. as they were already paid by earlier subscriptions. As well as not wanting to make people pay more for what they once got as part of their subscription in that very game.

Just curious really.. Because if that's the case.. comparing LOTRO events to TOR events is, quite literally, apples to bantha steaks.

No they were not all already there before the game went F2P. They have introduced at least 2 new festivals in LOTRO in the last year.

Farmers festival between summer and fall festivals was new this year and so was that one where you go dig up stuff for the goat in the dwarf area (don't remember the name of it).

Edited by MiraniSedai

Honestly, this just angered me.

I mean, I can appreciate that they're just seasonal rewards - and really, none of them are anything I'm particularly interested in getting - but the manner in which they're made available, the limited nature of their availability and the lack of pre-emptive announcement notifying us they'd be there just seems like a cheap means of wringing more money out of us. Hey subscribers! I know you're paying us monthly and consequently getting a few cartel coins per month, but unless you've been saving up basically all of them thus far you now get to pay us even more for this new stuff! AREN'T YOU THRILLED?

Sorry, but sigh.

Edited by Bleeters

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you're own proof just invalidated your initial claim? The highest reported number I saw stated was 1.7 million. Then down to 1.3 million. Then down to 500k. Even if all 1.7 million unsubbed, it's still not 2 million or more

More than 2,000,000 people have done just that since it went Live. :(

The game would be so much better if they had stayed.

And this is why facts and evidence are important when making bold claims.

Then again, it's really hard to judge exactly how many people from initial sales actually subbed, or just took advantage of 1 month free game time. And it's probably really hard to accurately follow how many subs left compared to how many new subs occured for the various milestone numbers. It's also near impossible to tell exactly how many of those people are still around, just not subbed since the game went free to play. I know many ex-subbers who still play f2p because they enjoy the story content but not the endgame content, so f2p is perfect for them.

But, going by charts and numbers alone, I'm not seeing the More than 2,000,000

EDIT: Another near impossible to track factor is how many, of those sales and subs, were from the same player. You can't claim over 2 million people unsubbed and left, if at least 2 in X of those unsubs was from one player.

Edited by Nythain

Uhm...have you not been here long? 2.4 mil copies sold and last financial report was 400k-600k subs. I hate fanboys who cant handle the truth.

nope they have never said 400k to 600k that is just your own number you pulled out of your own sarlac pitt

Honestly, this just angered me.

I mean, I can appreciate that they're just seasonal rewards - and really, none of them are anything I'm particularly interested in getting - but the manner in which they're made available, the limited nature of their availability and the lack of pre-emptive announcement notifying us they'd be there just seems like a cheap means of sucking up more of our money. Hey subscribers! I know you're paying us monthly and consequently getting a few cartel coins per month, but unless you've been saving up basically all of them thus far you now get to pay us even more for this new stuff! AREN'T YOU THRILLED?

Sorry, but sigh.

Hmm... but if there are new packs for the Cartel Shop each month, then this is what we will have each new month. New packs with new items that are available for a specific period of time. The best thing I can recommend is to get the things that you really want from the GTN and leave the real money spending for those who wish to do so.

Cant wait till they re-do the rakghoul plague - INFECT OTHERS ~ ONLY 150 Cartel Coins per infection. Turning in quest will also require you pay 150 cartel coins.

You fool, the plague will be free and exceptionally infectious, its the cure that will be available only through the cartel house.......

Also it would appear if u want to do the new space missions you need the grade 7 stuff which apart from 2 items seems to be cartel market exclusive (however i may be mistaken). Now when FTP came out there was gonna be no pay to win and stuff you need to do ingame content was gonna be avaiable to subscribers ingame, now this would appear not to be the case with space missions however i may be wrong

From the patch notes directly...

All-new Grade 7 Artifact Quality Starship Upgrades are now available from the Fleet and Mission Support vendors!

Yes you can pay cartel coins for those same items and get them quicker than grinding them out in game, but they are all available in game now, so again, the cartel market makes no pay to win offer.

You fool, the plague will be free and exceptionally infectious, its the cure that will be available only through the cartel house.......

Hehe, yeah now that you've mentioned it. :D

"Cure the plague - availible from the Cartel Shop for just 600CC per dose!"

Someone at Bioware EA is scribbling this down as we type. :eek:

between the prices of the items, and the added insult of making us pay for item we may or may not want for life-day is just boyond them at this point, or so I thought. If they don't start pleasing people more, they will end up like swg, sunken tanker at the bottem of the web, with people hosting private server of when the game was fun and not a money grab at every penny they can get.

Hmm... but if there are new packs for the Cartel Shop each month, then this is what we will have each new month. New packs with new items that are available for a specific period of time. The best thing I can recommend is to get the things that you really want from the GTN and leave the real money spending for those who wish to do so.

Regular cartel market item packs aren't available for a "limited duration". I don't begrudge them adding new stuff. I do, however, slightly resent them adding new stuff that requires subscribers to pay extra for, in addition to said subscription, by simple virtue of the fact that we weren't told in advance and there isn't enough time to save up via the monthly stipend.

Edited by Bleeters

I want this game to be successful. I want them to make plenty of money on the cash shop to hopefully reinvest into the game thus making it better. But what about the subscribers? I came back and started a month to month subscription. After a few days, I realized I would probably be playing for awhile so I upped it to 6 months. Now I have seen it post in many other threads that subscribers get "free" coins, but there are 2 big problems with this. First, who has a balance of "free" coins right now to purchase this stuff, maybe 0.5% of subscribers? Second, the amount of "free" coins is not enough to buy most of the stuff (even as a 6 month, collectors edition subscriber).

From the patch notes directly...

All-new Grade 7 Artifact Quality Starship Upgrades are now available from the Fleet and Mission Support vendors!

Yes you can pay cartel coins for those same items and get them quicker than grinding them out in game, but they are all available in game now, so again, the cartel market makes no pay to win offer.

Ok thanks for clarifying that, i was thinking that cybertech would of had the ability to make them, but im pleased they are avaiable ingame.

Soooo all that gear that we'd normally acquire through some kind of 'fun' activity... is now purchased with real cash... Real cash earned from 'unfun' activities like ... you know... working a part time job (in my case at least).

I know I know i don't HAVE to buy them, or alternatively I could buy them off GTN.. but come on BW.. you've had two events over 12 months, and the first event was all about the colour crystals, second was mainly aimed at classes that can use blaster rifle's.. and now the third is going to cost us additional money to even access? Lame.

Welcome to Life Day - the SWTOR equivalent of Christmas - Now fork over more cash!

"Shut your face, you got free fireworks!"

This 'Life Day' BW has come out with doesn't so much feel like the company celebrating the holidays with us, and in addition the ToRnniversary, but instead feel's like they're sitting they're licking their lips and rubbing their hands together over all the money they're about to make.

Cant wait till they re-do the rakghoul plague - INFECT OTHERS ~ ONLY 150 Cartel Coins per infection. Turning in quest will also require you pay 150 cartel coins.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they say they have made a mistake having no event at all and put one ingame

Logged in today to see the "life day" junk for sale on the auction house but what made me smile is the fact that the big pack thing was discounted by 35%. Given that its never been on sale before I dont think many localities allow you to advertise items as "discounted" when they have never been on sale for the "real" price before.

I think in the UK an item needs to have been on sale for the original price for 28 days before you can advertise any discounts.