More personal crew skills.

Draogon

Just random thought but why don't crew skills benefit the user more than simply being able to make stuff for themself. I mean i think it's fair to say most people will have chosen a crew set that benefits their character (atleast their first character anyway). So why for example can my max Artfice Sith Warriror not remove crystals/hilts/enhancments mods for free? - personal use only.

I have a good few mil credits on my account and i actually wouldn't mind changing up my crystal colour now and again, but it's utterly pointless to waste the amount of credits it costs to remove the old one to put another one thats the same besides the colour, so because of that i simple will not do it.

I just think they need a more personal touch, every mmo out there has a tradeskill class, so simply being able to make stuff isn't benefit enough imo. I'd much sooner look at a crew skill and think i want that because it enables me to do.....etc.

Unfortunately the same old comparison comes out to play, look at WoW tradeskills. Jew? Bonus jew slots. Better gems etc. Blacksmith? beltslot ( or was it wrist?) etc etc etc.

Biochem to me has that feel to it due to the reuseable kits, but nothing else.

So is there any "plans" to go down this route at any point?

Edited by Draogon

No, and they are (thankfully) fixing it with biochem by not creating any future reuseables as the lvl cap/difficulty increases.

Point of crewskills is trading. Forcing everybody to have them to gain that self perk decreases their value for trade.

No, and they are (thankfully) fixing it with biochem by not creating any future reuseables as the lvl cap/difficulty increases.

Point of crewskills is trading. Forcing everybody to have them to gain that self perk decreases their value for trade.

Me having to pay 30k + right now to remove a crystal that I made in the first place, only to replace it with another that I made does not do anything for trading, if anything that means i have less money to spend on he GTN, I thought that was a pretty obvious thing to work out.

Edited by Draogon

*sigh*

But everybody picking up artifice, (and thus gaining the ability to make all the crystals and stuff) so that they don't have to pay to 30k to swap around their mods would go a pretty good ways towards destroying your ability to sell the things, don't you think? Hard to sell somebody something they can make themselves. Pretty sure that would do a number on trade, no? Thought that was a pretty obvious thing to work out.

*sigh*

But everybody picking up artifice, (and thus gaining the ability to make all the crystals and stuff) so that they don't have to pay to 30k to swap around their mods would go a pretty good ways towards destroying your ability to sell the things, don't you think? Hard to sell somebody something they can make themselves. Pretty sure that would do a number on trade, no? Thought that was a pretty obvious thing to work out.

errr.... how did you get from "not paying to move the modifications i make" to "everybody having the same crafting skill" ? o.0

You do realize that you don't have to remove the existing crystal in order to put the new one in, right?

I've never tried that -- does it eliminate the cost in swapping out crystals/mods/etc?

Doesn't matter if it's the *same* crafting skill or *a* crafting skill. Ideally the majority of players would be consumers, and not have *any* crafting skill. Pure gathering should be a perfectly viable choice. Or even simply ignoring altogether. I'd *much* prefer competing with 1/60th of the population to sell to 59/60th, (so, evenly proportioned, each of us gets 59 sales) than compete with 1/6th to sell to 5/6th, so we each get 5 sales.

I've never tried that -- does it eliminate the cost in swapping out crystals/mods/etc?

And yes, you lose the crystal you override, but it doesn't cost anything to do. Only reason to extract is if you're going to reuse it in some other piece of equipment. (unlikely, for crystals)

It destroys the original mod/crystal and replaces it with the new one. If you don't need to use the mod/crystal again, it's a waste of credits to remove it.

You do realize that you don't have to remove the existing crystal in order to put the new one in, right?

Yeah.. any more.. unless I want the mod, I just install the new one over the top of the old one, destroying the old one.. If I was artifice and could make the new one without a problem or cost.. that would be more like a bonus.

*sigh*

Thats called balance, what i said was an example, but each crew skill would have it's own (and follow me here it's important) "personal crew skill benefit" Artifice being able to remove and fit crystals without charge would be one of these bonuses. Sythweaving could have something else, so on and so forth.

Edited by Draogon

But then you have to make it again should you feel the need to change the colour back. This may be simply a fluff thing but i'd personally like to see the crystal "in the flesh" so to speak to judge it's colour myself rather than rely on out of game websites.

Ontop of that i may feel like a change of colour at some point, im sure many people do.

Using Artifice as my example, was just that, an example. Every crew skill should have something to it rather than just a plain old "i make this and sell it" feel that was in an mmo 10years ago. Artifice could generate and extra slot on a lightsaber aswell as being able to swap out crystals free of charge.

While another crew skill could remove mods free of charge. Obviously removing mods/armour etc is more useful than removing crystals but thats why you improve Artifice bonus by giving it an extra slot.

Edited by Draogon

For the last five years Blizzard has been doing this with WoW professions.

It started out with "special" gear that was bind on create. This resulted in a lot of "Flavor of the Month" (FotM) profession swapping - whenever a new patch would come out all the min/maxers would swap to the profession that offered "the best" gear.

So, they abandoned the gear perk and went to a stat based perk - each crafting profession (gathering professions were excluded completely) got a single stat bonus. The problem was that the stat bonus varied widely from profession to profession and few were EXACTLY equal to each other. The result was two-fold:

1) certain professions' stat perks benefited specific classes - a healer druid who had leatherworking as a profession did not benefit nearly as much as a DPS hunter.

2) certain professions became the go to professions for min/maxers which flooded the markets for the created items. Great for consumers because prices were low. Not so good for sellers for the same reason.

So the next incarnation along with a radical change to the stat system resulted in all profession perks being created equal - every profession offered a fixed primary stat bonus based on the class you played. Only problem was it was not 100% equal and some professions still had an advantage. The Jewelcrafting profession got a +81 total bonus and the rest got +80. Now you would think, no big deal. You would be AMAZED at how many players griped about that one point. Further, while gathering professions finally got a profession perk they were not even close to crafting professions. So the min/maxers were "forced" to pay others to gather for them or level alts. Again, complaints abound.

The point is that what you are suggesting is NOT something that BioWare should want to deal with; at least not this early in the game's evolution. No matter how hard they attempt to balance the crew skill perks someone will always find an imbalance somewhere, put a 10million lumen spotlight on it and gripe.

For the last five years Blizzard has been doing this with WoW professions.

It started out with "special" gear that was bind on create. This resulted in a lot of "Flavor of the Month" (FotM) profession swapping - whenever a new patch would come out all the min/maxers would swap to the profession that offered "the best" gear.

So, they abandoned the gear perk and went to a stat based perk - each crafting profession (gathering professions were excluded completely) got a single stat bonus. The problem was that the stat bonus varied widely from profession to profession and few were EXACTLY equal to each other. The result was two-fold:

1) certain professions' stat perks benefited specific classes - a healer druid who had leatherworking as a profession did not benefit nearly as much as a DPS hunter.

2) certain professions became the go to professions for min/maxers which flooded the markets for the created items. Great for consumers because prices were low. Not so good for sellers for the same reason.

So the next incarnation along with a radical change to the stat system resulted in all profession perks being created equal - every profession offered a fixed primary stat bonus based on the class you played. Only problem was it was not 100% equal and some professions still had an advantage. The Jewelcrafting profession got a +81 total bonus and the rest got +80. Now you would think, no big deal. You would be AMAZED at how many players griped about that one point. Further, while gathering professions finally got a profession perk they were not even close to crafting professions. So the min/maxers were "forced" to pay others to gather for them or level alts. Again, complaints abound.

The point is that what you are suggesting is NOT something that BioWare should want to deal with; at least not this early in the game's evolution. No matter how hard they attempt to balance the crew skill perks someone will always find an imbalance somewhere, put a 10million lumen spotlight on it and gripe.

AND, of course, even if they do manage to perfectly balance them all, it will still force people to pick up said tradeskills, removing them from the pool of "pure consumers", when they would otherwise have been perfectly happy to remain there, which is NOT a good thing for the economy.

The only personal perks tradeskills should EVER confer are ones that directly help in doing that tradeskill. They should NEVER confer perks that help adventuring, or PvP, or anything else.

I have a good few mil credits on my account...[yadda yadda]...but it's utterly pointless to waste the amount of credits it costs to remove the old one to put another one thats the same

So your complaint is that what you want is possible, and you have far more credits than is required to do it...you just don't want to have to spend them?

On that note, I'd like a free GTN on my ship, too. I have millions of credits, but it should still be free. And a pony.

• 3 months later...
So your complaint is that what you want is possible, and you have far more credits than is required to do it...you just don't want to have to spend them?

On that note, I'd like a free GTN on my ship, too. I have millions of credits, but it should still be free. And a pony.

Lol too true if i had a million or more i wouldnt complain xD