Inquisitor story better than consular?!

Limosis

Why do people say the inquisitor story is good, and the consular is the worst? I've made both an assassin and shadow, and i don't think I've experienced a more bland story than the inquisitor one.

Inquisitor Spoilers....

I played the inquisitor up to when zash betrays you and gets trapped in khem. But artefact collecting? People enjoy that?! If it weren't for being able to kill sith lords as part of the power struggle within the ranks, i would've dropped the character sooner, but that doesn't happen nearly as much as it should.

I made a shadow because of how boring the inquisitor was, even though i made the assassin fearing how boring the consular was said to be, and the first planet was boring as sin. But after about half way through coruscant, i found it really engaging, and by nar shadarr, you actually feel like a jedi and I'm finding myself getting right into it...

Inquisitor is the most underwhelming story so far, and I've played the bounty hunter and trooper stories. Both of which have commonly referred to as boring)

Personally I think Consular is better. The Inq story is about being taken advantage of, then trying to get your way out of it more than once until you have climbed the ranks until people can't take advantage of you any more.

The best force user story is the Sith Warrior.

Both stories are OK, but the Consular story picks up considerably in Act II. Act III is solid for both classes. Most people who complain about the Consular story don't really want to play the selfless, contemplative character that is the Consular. There's nothing wrong with that, but they then go on to conflate their distaste into a perception that there is something wrong with the story. Edited by Master-Nala

If you play them by their 'arc types' I can promise you this, don't.

If you enjoy miss pysco witch of the Inq line - go for it. It'll be amusing, because EVERY problem can be solved by zapping it with lightning or some other force related attack.

The fun comes when you play against that. Lightside Inq is more interesting, has a few different options and ultimately if you dislike Khem and never use him... things become better for it.

I totally did not however, enjoy the NUN style Jedi Counsular line when playing good. I've not had much chance to play on my Evil one... but she's querky! I feel being a total witch counsular is going to be way more rewarding.

But at the end of the day. It is up to you, the player, the story follower / reader / whatever actually fits; if you enjoy one plot over another. It's just a pity so much money was used on the storylines... and they end once 50. The Makeb content see's new voice actors (inq at least) and a merged plot, it loses the fun of the storyline for me.

I'll make one recommendation. Play against the norm. The plots improve for it.

i didnt like the inquisitor story. the ghsot busting and being stuck as darth nox kinda made me play like i was playing a prefabricated player rather than my own character. i do, however, like the consular story. its not the best, but its not the worst (inquisitor) either.

What I do not like about Consular story so far in Act I is the lack of suspense (because we are not going to have character off'd) so the self-sacrifice is not as poignant as it should be. Now, if that story was presented to me in the end of the game, with one of the outcomes that the class story ends in character death indeed (and some sort of game techniques transfer to play End Game allowing a different character to take on the deceased Jedi's achievements for those players who want End Game Play at a penalty...), I would be all over it. Say, a sacrifice that nets some awesome Legacy, and survival that keeps your awesome character intact... The rewards and punishments of such choices will actually be much more real and investment into the character... yay!

What I do not like about Consular story so far in Act I is the lack of suspense (because we are not going to have character off'd) so the self-sacrifice is not as poignant as it should be. Now, if that story was presented to me in the end of the game, with one of the outcomes that the class story ends in character death indeed (and some sort of game techniques transfer to play End Game allowing a different character to take on the deceased Jedi's achievements for those players who want End Game Play at a penalty...), I would be all over it. Say, a sacrifice that nets some awesome Legacy, and survival that keeps your awesome character intact... The rewards and punishments of such choices will actually be much more real and investment into the character... yay!

In the original beta version of the game, choosing the lightside option applied a debuff on you that stacked each time (but was only active inside Consular only areas). I believe each debuff gave a 15-25% buff to all damage done to you. This made it almost impossible to play a purely lightside consular, without having a friend come and basically run missions for you, as by the end of chapter 1 you would be taking almost twice as much damage as you should be, and neither Consular AC's are really not-squishy, even tank-Shadows were (at the time) so based on shield procs that a bad big hit could wipe them out.

The debuff was cleared in Chapter 2, IIRC, but it was still considered to be too harsh, and removed, much like the ability to kill or refuse companions (because people playing imperial agents would kill Kaliyo and then not be able to do much on Dromund Kaas -> alderaan, because the game was designed for a companion to be with you)

Edited by FabulousDoctor

Depending on who you ask, ANY story is better than the consular. There are a number of reasons for this, the two most commonly cited I've encountered are:

1.) Distinct lack of epicness in the consular story. I've only played up to the very beginning of act 3, but I have to admit there's a notable lack of "epic" in the story. It's more subtle and behind-the-scenes. The other stories I've played have set you up from the beginning as some accidental hero pre-destined for greatness. Then there's the consular who just wants to cure her master who has fallen ill. Despite the fact that the consular gets swept up into something far bigger, the only people who are really aware of this is the jedi council, the consular, and the handful of sith involved. You don't appear on the galactic radar as a person of interest, racking up fame and infamy. By the end of act 1 and well into act 2 you're the unsung hero working behind the scenes. It just isn't epic enough for some people.

2.) Continuity errors. Try playing a dark side consular. Eugh. Most of your dark side choices not only have no consequences, they aren't even acknowledged in any way, shape, or form because the story was never FINISHED. It lacks polish. It lacks finesse. Worse, it not only pigeonholes you into some slot on the light side spectrum, many of the light side choices are laughable, childish, and frequently put your mission in jeopardy. I'm looking at you, Balmorra. It's like Bioware couldn't decide how they wanted to describe light side and dark side with this story. "There is no emotion, there is peace." Unless you're a pure light side consular, in which case you're a slave to your emotions but somehow NOT dark side.

I personally LOVE the Consular story, but I can definitely see why it's not for everyone. I honestly think of Bioware would just go through and fix the continuity errors and rearrange some of the light side/dark side/neutral choices a little more consistent with other class stories instead of ramming some sort of inconsistent code of morality that somehow trumps the jedi code when it comes to decision making and conduct I think it would be more enjoyable to more people.

The Consular's dark side choices were obviously an afterthought added in at the last minute, much like the Inquisitor and Bounty Hunter light side ones. All three of them have issues with your reputation as told by story NPCs always matching one of them (The Consular always The Best And Nicest, the Inquisitor EVUL and the Bounty Hunter ultra-lethal killer).

It's sort of unfortunate, but at the same time I'd say the Consular story has some of the best lightsided stuff in it. People who complain about the lightsided choices confuse me, because I've never felt like they make the character boring, I honestly thought most of them were way awesome.

I played a light side bounty hunter and, while you're right about the continuity issue with "lethal killer" even if you aren't, it wasn't particularly jarring or distracting like the dark side consular was, to me at least. If memory serves my BH's choices were acknowledged in the story, when somebody mentioned she was unusual/uncharacteristic or something to that effect, but that was really the only nod to "okay you're not a cold blooded monster after all" that I got. The LS BH story still mostly made sense to me. DS Consular makes like zero sense, it's ridiculous.

My issue with a lot of the consular light side choices is they aren't very light side at all. They're "moral", but the character just comes off as a slave to her emotions--that's pretty "dark side slippery slope" if you ask me. It wasn't immersive, it was distracting. My third playthrough I find myself exiting convos and trying several options and second guessing my choices a lot more than I did with my warrior or bh, but overall it IS an enjoyable story.

Playing both stories right now actually. I have about 8 toons at various levels, and my sage is my second highest at lv. 27, and my SI is only lv. 14....

I personally, feel that the consular is actually one of the better force users out there- for instance, in certain cutscenes, I smiled because I actually felt like they were showing the enormous power the PC has, and it was awesome :D

Little things like cutscene power, or using force persuade in certain conversations- I finally feel like a Jedi, and I'm more for behind the scenes epic then in your face, uber action hero anyways :)

My lv. 27 sage just hit Tattooine, and thanks to that double exp weekend, it's nice to actually be a level or so above the enemies- plus, my sage has synthcraft, and is my main healer

I also noticed, to me anyways, the consular seems to have this dry wit- and I like that, the subtle snark I seem to gleam from the dialogue

I thought the last two chapters of the inquisitor story dragged on, and only really had enough story content for a single chapter. Combined with the fact it was so detached from the main emperial story, it gets overwhelmed. I did like the first chapter a lot though, lot of drama and intrigue on a personal level. And because the war hadn't fully started it suited a more personal story at that point.

The consular was the other way around. The first chapter was boring but really picked up after that. It felt like it complemented the main republic story very well. I also liked the dark side choices after chapter 1. So often evil = stupid, but the consular dark choices actually felt quite natural to me and was the only republic character I played dark side.

The Consular story rocks.

Only thing lacking in that story is the relationship with Youn Par. I never got the feeling the Consular and their Master really got close and formed a strong bond. Qyzen is another story completely. The defining moment is freeing him from captivity and he's all sad and disilusioned after losing his "points". Poor giant little lizard. /hugglez

In the original beta version of the game, choosing the lightside option applied a debuff on you that stacked each time (but was only active inside Consular only areas). I believe each debuff gave a 15-25% buff to all damage done to you. This made it almost impossible to play a purely lightside consular, without having a friend come and basically run missions for you, as by the end of chapter 1 you would be taking almost twice as much damage as you should be, and neither Consular AC's are really not-squishy, even tank-Shadows were (at the time) so based on shield procs that a bad big hit could wipe them out.

The debuff was cleared in Chapter 2, IIRC, but it was still considered to be too harsh, and removed, much like the ability to kill or refuse companions (because people playing imperial agents would kill Kaliyo and then not be able to do much on Dromund Kaas -> alderaan, because the game was designed for a companion to be with you)

Thank you for taking your time to respond!

I have to say, that was a great plan on BioWARE's part, and I feel sad they could not make it work creatively, by recruitment of temp allies or applying debuf only after the shielding that could be deflagged at a cantina the way the PvP flags are, or another type of mechanism. It would have added a flare to the story for me!

I am sure we could have saved killing the ally after we got the next one on board. I would have been sorely tempted with Qyzen, even if it lost me 1000 LS points.

It's sort of unfortunate, but at the same time I'd say the Consular story has some of the best lightsided stuff in it. People who complain about the lightsided choices confuse me, because I've never felt like they make the character boring, I honestly thought most of them were way awesome.

Hmm, I hope LS choices in the Consular story itself are better than in the Planet Quest on Alderaan. I don't like Lawful Good Stupid rewarded like that. (I am talking about the hostages situation choices and resolution). Sure, sacrifice half the planet for the sake of 300 people... and get rescued by the pathetic people who got captured in the first place. Blah. Again, no cost to the character for doing what's right (if we agree that it's right) over what is easy (again, if we agree that it's easy...). It was particular grating with a Consular, for me personally, since I play her as a saintly psychopath who does her choices by numbers irregardless of the emotions (I did took the DS, but my husband won that roll; if the DS choice is punished, when I select it on the Smuggler, I will be cross).

Edited by DomiSotto

The Consular's dark side choices were obviously an afterthought added in at the last minute, much like the Inquisitor and Bounty Hunter light side ones. All three of them have issues with your reputation as told by story NPCs always matching one of them (The Consular always The Best And Nicest, the Inquisitor EVUL and the Bounty Hunter ultra-lethal killer).

I can't talk about the Consular storyline, but there's a lot of places as an Inquisitor where the Light Side option isn't just phoned in. Several such cases, when you're given the opportunity to raise an Alien's standing within the Empire. And another, where you refuse to take a bribe (which irritated me. I wanted to take the credits, then electrocute him.)

And Bounty Hunters aren't all killers. My BH is all about taking targets in alive. I get a bunch of Light Side points for that....though just as many Dark Side, when it means they're going to be tortured something fierce. But I also refuse to follow through with my original job when the details were either flawed or outright lies. "Go kill this person. They stole money from me." when it turns out he just forgot his wallet at the bar.

IMO Consular story is way better than inquisitor.

inquisitor was ok for chapter 1 chapter 2 was interesting but chapter 3 ruined it all we were told inquisitor was about building power like palps but u spend like 5 minutes getting a fleet on your side and that's it IMO only 1 of the chapter 3 planets should have been about the crappy healing line.

Consular is bad for chapter 1 but the rest is gold i think its far more interesting and fun than the inquisitor.

The best force user story is the Sith Warrior.

Quoted for truth. SW is so fun I've made more then one!

The quips and one liners are a lot of fun.

[start of Opinion]

As for SI vs JC, I preferred SI more overall, however it does have a glaring oddity in that at chapter 2, it feels like someone else started writing the script. The pacing and tone of the class story really changes. Saying that, the VA is great and it all works any race and gender. JC however felt rather bland for me, and I wasn't that thrilled with the male VAing. The story could work alot better as a female JC however.

[End of Opinion]

both class stories are equally bad. as a character, though, at least inquisitor acts amusing from time to time, whereas consular is as bland, impersonal and forgettable as possible.

consular is overall not exciting at all, and dark side consular makes everything hilariously wrong because the jedi council completely ignores everything you've screwed up. you're not really doing some sort of "spiritual journey" or "personal story" as well, you run galactic-wide errands, that's all. you have no authority of your own. have fun curing space aids and doing stuff that republic diplomats should do but instead they just sit on your ship and complain. if you play a shadow advanced class everything that happens in the class story makes even less sense (i went with the least sensible combination of DS shadow and witnessed the whole story falling apart like a cardboard house).

inquisitor is that type of guy/girl who gets his/hers backside kicked constantly only to be rescued by someone else. sure, you get to do a lot of hilariously evil things and almost always have the option to shock someone with lightning, but it's only the character him/herself that could make the story somewhat amusing. at first you go on a galactic-wide fetch quest, and after that you bust some ghosts and go on a spiritual journey of force lightning more people into submission. whole story feels incredibly underwhelming.