Hood On/Off Toggle?

Morniel

I admit I cheered like a small girl when I bought the CC hood-down robe on the PTR. I log into the PTR just to see my character as I want him to look. However after some thought I considered this. How about all of us that are still mad (myself included) just ignore the robes on the market until we get a toggle? I have a Jedi Myrmidon robe. I payed 30k for it (got a steal on it) and I'd like to use it hood-down. So how about we just suck it up and live with the hood up until they implement it?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they don't want to add the hood toggle, because then people will not buy stuff from the cartel store as the robe models allready in game would actually be good looking. The armor I got now, the Jedi Battlelord set would be awesome with the hood down, as it is the same armor as in the character creation screen, only green. It is actually even cooler as it is almost the same armor Master Zallow has in the Sith intro... I will never understand why they made the decision to have all JK armors have the hood up... Makes no sense since mostly all the screenshots from the game has the hood down.

Hah. Interesting theory. I'd love to wear the legacy armor with the hood down. That blue colour of the armor is beautiful and there is no shoulder pads. And the back armor would be covered by the hood from the wonderful, brown robe. I bought the full Jedi Battlelord set for a lot of credits back in February and it's just lying in my cargo, in the same position for so many months, waiting for the hood toggle.

I admit I cheered like a small girl when I bought the CC hood-down robe on the PTR. I log into the PTR just to see my character as I want him to look. However after some thought I considered this. How about all of us that are still mad (myself included) just ignore the robes on the market until we get a toggle? I have a Jedi Myrmidon robe. I payed 30k for it (got a steal on it) and I'd like to use it hood-down. So how about we just suck it up and live with the hood up until they implement it?

The problem is if they release some truly awesome looking armor like the character creation screen armor, then I will need to drawn out some serious willpower not to buy it. But even with the sith robes on the CC, I wont buy those, they just would not fit my character.

I know I'm being cynical here but.... it's not going to happen. Why would they spend more time and effort working on it when they already have what people want - on the cartel vendors. Where they can gain income.

It doesn't matter that we've been playing since beta, or that we continue to pay for subscriptions. They're moving to a "free play", or more accurately "pay as you go" model. All serious development efforts will be geared towards that, as that is where the money will be coming from, not from subscriptions.

You can talk about "loyalty" to subscribers all you want, but it's not the actual people who work on the game who are making the decisions. The designers, programmers and artists probably do feel loyal to those who've been playing since the beginning, but they aren't making the decisions. Upper management and accountants are, and they will direct efforts in pursuit of the greatest profit. If that was coming from subscriptions they wouldn't be changing the game model.

Look at the number of minor bug fixes that are being ignored. For example, companions running around with lit lightsabers when the thing is hanging at their side. That is a very easy fix, but we haven't seen it yet. Putting someone on it would eat up time and resources that are better devoted towards making 1.5 work, and hence generating profits.

I hate the hoods too, but the toggle is not going to happen. It would require the artists and modelers to make a second copy of every robe in the game, and then adding conditionals to make it the switch when you click the toggle, adjustments to the user interface, etc. That's a lot of resources being used for something that is easier to accomplish by adding a few new items to the cartel vendors instead, items which will generate income for them when non-subscribers find that the old models all have the hoods up.

I know I'm being cynical here but.... it's not going to happen. Why would they spend more time and effort working on it when they already have what people want - on the cartel vendors. Where they can gain income.

It doesn't matter that we've been playing since beta, or that we continue to pay for subscriptions. They're moving to a "free play", or more accurately "pay as you go" model. All serious development efforts will be geared towards that, as that is where the money will be coming from, not from subscriptions.

You can talk about "loyalty" to subscribers all you want, but it's not the actual people who work on the game who are making the decisions. The designers, programmers and artists probably do feel loyal to those who've been playing since the beginning, but they aren't making the decisions. Upper management and accountants are, and they will direct efforts in pursuit of the greatest profit. If that was coming from subscriptions they wouldn't be changing the game model.

Look at the number of minor bug fixes that are being ignored. For example, companions running around with lit lightsabers when the thing is hanging at their side. That is a very easy fix, but we haven't seen it yet. Putting someone on it would eat up time and resources that are better devoted towards making 1.5 work, and hence generating profits.

I hate the hoods too, but the toggle is not going to happen. It would require the artists and modelers to make a second copy of every robe in the game, and then adding conditionals to make it the switch when you click the toggle, adjustments to the user interface, etc. That's a lot of resources being used for something that is easier to accomplish by adding a few new items to the cartel vendors instead, items which will generate income for them when non-subscribers find that the old models all have the hoods up.

They really aren't making the game F2P or "pay as you go" with that being the intent of that being the main direction for the game to be heading. Bioware/EA still want people to subscribe more than buy crap on the cash shop. If (even though I doubt this will ever happen) this game got back to the amount of Subs it had within the first month or two of release, they would kick F2P to the curb and go back to having Subscriptions. F2P is just a gimmick to get people to subscribe (and if they don't, milk money out of them).

On another note, my Sentinel had been wearing an Orange Aspiring Knight's Vest (despite me not liking the look of the piece that much) since I created him because of all the stupid mandatory hoods this game has. If I could wear a hood down version of any of the other robes, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Edited by Emperor-Norton

They really aren't making the game F2P or "pay as you go" with that being the intent of that being the main direction for the game to be heading. Bioware/EA still want people to subscribe more than buy crap on the cash shop. If (even though I doubt this will ever happen) this game got back to the amount of Subs it had within the first month or two of release, they would kick F2P to the curb and go back to having Subscriptions. F2P is just a gimmick to get people to subscribe (and if they don't, milk money out of them).

On another note, my Sentinel had been wearing an Orange Aspiring Knight's Vest (despite me not liking the look of the piece that much) since I created him because of all the stupid mandatory hoods this game has. If I could wear a hood down version of any of the other robes, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Once they put in free to play they'll never drop it. More likely they'll increase the benefit of being subscribed. At least I hope so; the amount of free cartel coins per month they pay for being subscribed seems kinda low to me.

I was just looking at Sith Marauder oranges... do you think we could get a "whale tail" toggle as well? I mean, how stupid looking is that?

Once they put in free to play they'll never drop it. More likely they'll increase the benefit of being subscribed. At least I hope so; the amount of free cartel coins per month they pay for being subscribed seems kinda low to me.

I was just looking at Sith Marauder oranges... do you think we could get a "whale tail" toggle as well? I mean, how stupid looking is that?

Add armor dyes to that wishlist as well.

I seriously hope they do spend more time on character customizations. Hood toggles, armor coloring, barbershop, etc. Make them for subscribers as added incentive to sub. Would be nice if new games would recognize how important that is for players, even if it does seem meaningless in context of quests, instants, etc.

Personally, I've been waiting for a hood toggle since they announced it back in 1.2.

Here is what I think happened.

1) Ghost servers issue created a massive movement to quit the game. Subs went from 1,7M to under 1M.

2) They fired half the staff and put all their energy on solving the server thing. Didn't work. Didn't bring back people.

3) They fired more people, and steered towards F2P. They've been working on that ever since and it'll happen next week.

It's no wonder, although being high-priority for them (I do believe that) that it was put aside since they are trying to save this freaking game. The F2P probably took a large chunk of ressources, and wasn't planned for the first year too. It was a move they had to do, to keep the game on track. Never forget that without money, this game can't evolve, and the F2P will bring them the money move forward with this game.

Once they implement it next week, I'm sure HT will come back pretty high on their priority list.

/optimism off

The only problem now is that there are so many sith warriors running around the republic fleet, oh wait... those are Jedi cosplaying sith..... I am starting to think that Bioware really does not like the Jedi Knight class or it's more iconic look.

Amazing. This post was started before the game released and has this many pages, yet not a single dev has posted on it. Not only that, this just shows how long BioWare has been ignoring the issue: almost a whole year.

They haven't ignored it. They are fully aware of the fact that players have a problem with it. They have said before that they are going to start working on it but it is not a priority.

They haven't ignored it. They are fully aware of the fact that players have a problem with it. They have said before that they are going to start working on it but it is not a priority.

Ummm .. They said we would have it right after 1.2. Well ... 3 patches later and guess what? Still nothing with no word from them because the ignore their costumers.

In their Austin Cantina Tour, when I was listening to the audio, when someone asked about hood toggle they went "what, what are you on about?" from what I understood. :(

Amazing. This post was started before the game released and has this many pages, yet not a single dev has posted on it. Not only that, this just shows how long BioWare has been ignoring the issue: almost a whole year.

The Devs have replied, but just not in this thread.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5402078#edit5402078

Hi everyone! The most recent word on hood toggle is from Matt Boudreaux in this post in early October:

"Hood up and hood down is still in the works. Unfortunately, it requires a few changes to our art pipeline and reprocessing those assets by the artists. The team has been hard at work on our upcoming content, and priorities put hood up/down on the back burner just a bit, but it's still on the To Do list and we are still very much aware of the demand - by developers and players alike!"

The feature is still something we want to add, but we don't have a date at this time.

You know what the problem with that reply is?

it's essentially unchanged from the meager series of replies that this issue has garnered over the past fricking YEAR.

We were told that the issue is more complex than it seems, check.

Nevermind the completely asinine oversight that let this situation occur in the FIRST damn place ("All Jedi Knight characters will be fine wearing hoods, right? Of course!!")

Then we were told that the issue is being looked at and worked on.

Then we waited.....and waited....and waited.

That most recent reply is more of the same crap we've been hearing for almost a year now.

This is NOT good customer service.

This is NOT the way to engender trust and faith in your playerbase.

This is NOT fscking acceptable, and NO, cartel packs are NOT the answer!!

This is a mistake that should NEVER have happened, and it would be a monstrous F-U to the customer if the only way they intend to fix it is to make us pay MORE money for it.

Edited by dangadget

Eh... Ubisoft is listening to its players. They, very quickly, solved the issue of the hood players were asking for... AC 3 is a single player game and it was post release so they didn't have to do it. And yet they did it. Players didn't like the fact that at the end of the game the assassin is running everywhere with his iconic hood down. It got changed.

I know TOR and AC3 are different games and engines and all but seriously... The fact Ubi did it within several days and listened to fans matters!

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Eh... Ubisoft is listening to its players. They, very quickly, solved the issue of the hood players were asking for... AC 3 is a single player game and it was post release so they didn't have to do it. And yet they did it. Players didn't like the fact that at the end of the game the assassin is running everywhere with his iconic hood down. It got changed.

I know TOR and AC3 are different games and engines and all but seriously... The fact Ubi did it within several days and listened to fans matters!

Ubi just needs to edit one hood. Bio needs to add this to every armor in the game that has a hood. Its a bit more complicated.

Ubi just needs to edit one hood. Bio needs to add this to every armor in the game that has a hood. Its a bit more complicated.

That's BW's call. Almost all of us would be fine with some robes with the hood down on the jedi side of things. The art for some hood down robes exists in swtor - we've seen it in demos. It would have been ok if they had taken a month or two to "do it right" and add the toggle for all robes. But if adding a toggle requires a huge resource allocation and could take years then I'm firmly in the "why the frak don't you give us what we've seen in demos?" camp.

Make the hood down versions separate items - I don't think most customers have ever really cared so much about the toggle vs having the appearance option.

Just came back to the game after being gone since February. The fact that this still isn't in the game is laughable. They could at least have made a hood down version of a robe available somewhere. I mean go take a walk around the Jedi Temple, tell me how many Jedi NPC's have their hood up. Everything we need is right there, how we still don't have it nearly a year later is mind boggling.