New species to play as

STJedi

You might want to search around the forums and the dev tracker a bit before getting your hopes up.

Togruta has been mentioned several times as being rather problematic in regards to clipping. That's also the reason Twi'Lek in TOR don't have prehensile lekku.

Yes, there's Togruta NPCs in the game without these issues, they all wear handpicked armour that doesn't clip, much, with their armour. They felt it was acceptable (barely) to have Ashara Zavros with all her clipping issues in tha game, but for a player character it's too much.

BW is going with the Catharr mostly because they're the easiest for them to do both in terms of animation and voice.

Anyone else wish you could play as a Togruta?

I personally think that would be awesome. If you agree, post and lets get the developers to put one in the game.

Official response on the subject

Making an alien race fully human playable is a huge amount of work, at least if you want to give players the level of customization options that they have come to expect. It takes a lot of work to make all of the customization options work together and look good, while still ensuring people still can find looks that are unique to each other.

The Togruta provide a unique problem in this regard, in regards to the tentacles. Yes, the Twi’leks have tentacles too, but they are typically behind the player, whereas the Togruta’s canonically drape across the front of the character. This means that they struggle to work with the existing animations and gear without clipping — indeed, the first screenshot you see for Ashara if you google her is one with her chin ridiculously clipping through her tentacle. While this may be acceptable for a companion who is frequently offscreen while fighting, or NPCs who we can dress and pose carefully, its much more problematic for player characters who need to be able to wear anything and perform any animation and still look good. (The Twi’leks clip somewhat as well, but much art was tweaked to make this a lot less prevalent than it otherwise would have been)

I’m not trying to pour cold water in the species discussion. Quite the opposite – if the Cathar do well, I hope to expand your options even more, and we should know the answer to that ‘soonish’. I just don’t want anyone to think that just because an alien is currently in the game as an NPC, that it is trivial to turn it into player art — it’s a TON of work to do that, and do it well.

http://torwars.com/2013/01/18/torwars-dev-watch-1182013/

I want to play a Kel'dor, a Gran or a Trandoshan. However as has already been pointed out until Cathar come out and they sell very very well we wont see any more species. Even then Cathar a painted human is taking over a year from initial mention so how long for an alien species to be released? Come on BW please explain why Cathar are taking soooo long?

I want to play a Kel'dor, a Gran or a Trandoshan. However as has already been pointed out until Cathar come out and they sell very very well we wont see any more species. Even then Cathar a painted human is taking over a year from initial mention so how long for an alien species to be released? Come on BW please explain why Cathar are taking soooo long?

At this point it seems like they're saving them for the next update coming in June.

The upcoming content that they've talked about to be released in the summer is stuff like the Barber Shop, Cathar, Hood Toggle, etc, ie stuff that's specific to your character/avatar and how they look which they'll no doubt push as a theme of the next update.

It really seems like they've been sitting on certain things so that they can release them all at once and make it seem like a big(ger) deal. This is something that obviously has it's pros and cons. On the one hand when you get an update you get a bit of content all at once, while on the other hand it means you're not getting much (or anything) between updates.

My only concern as a big fan of both Star Wars and this game is that I wish they'd put more canon species and planets into the game. I don't care at all about Cathar. I don't care about Makeb. I want to play species and go to planets that are in the movies. Even if it's a minor race / planet. Throw in Tagruta, nautolin, mon calamari, something we've seen. Why not go to Kashyyyk or hell, go to Dagobah or Bespin, or Naboo or something. Just some species and planet I've even got a slight reference to from the movies. I'll go to Makeb because that's where the story takes me but I'm not overly excited about it. And I'm even less excited about Cathar. I know I'm not alone on this.

My only concern as a big fan of both Star Wars and this game is that I wish they'd put more canon species and planets into the game. I don't care at all about Cathar. I don't care about Makeb. I want to play species and go to planets that are in the movies. Even if it's a minor race / planet. Throw in Tagruta, nautolin, mon calamari, something we've seen. Why not go to Kashyyyk or hell, go to Dagobah or Bespin, or Naboo or something. Just some species and planet I've even got a slight reference to from the movies. I'll go to Makeb because that's where the story takes me but I'm not overly excited about it. And I'm even less excited about Cathar. I know I'm not alone on this.

They did this in Kotor and Kotor2, it felt forced, the planet progression in this game feels better, still a bit coerced at times since you're doing the same planets in the same order again and again, but less contrived than previous games. Please note I loved Kotor and Kotor2, this was my one problem with them.

Anyone else wish you could play as a Togruta?

I personally think that would be awesome. If you agree, post and lets get the developers to put one in the game.

You might want to search the forums. There are already numerous threads about this subject, including the following which is a 109 page thread that has been running for the last 10 months asking for a poll of the community on what species they would like to see added to the game: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=479757

Togruta are the number 1 choice in that poll. If people didn't keep making duplicate threads on subjects which already have lengthy threads, then maybe it would be easier for people to find this stuff because the first few pages of the forums wouldn't be cluttered up with duplicate threads.