Why is Republic gameplay so boring?

--Grim--

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every bioware developer that I know of has said over the last year that they are playing Empire for their own personal characters.

Every E3/Expo/Demo event that Bioware has done has ONLY showed off Empire classes and content.

It is no surprise that given all of this, Empire is the only faction with any thought put into it, and Republic is just an afterthought. Its the reason why no one plays Republic. Bioware just doesnt care.

If you go by episodes 1-3 maybe. Obiwan and Yoda were not party animals but there were not as tedious as Jedi in this game.

Yeah, they were... Yoda may have had quirks, but he was just as tedious.. And Obi-wan was just as tedious as the jedi in this game.

Granted it's just my personal opinion... but no storyline is better than the Imperial Agent (although Bounty Hunter runs a close 2nd).

And to be quite frank about it... I actually dread winning social rolls when playing my Jedi toons. Too darn goody-goody for my tastes. Even when you're trying to be snarky.

I think you should specify stories rather than gameplay since it's similar in both factions.

But IMO, it really comes down to Star Wars itself. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Star Wars. I'm a diehard fan but even I admit the saga never had much complexity with its characters/story.

The bad are straightforward bad. The good are straightforward good.

Even the Empire had some issues for me. I liked the description we're given at the creation screen: a militaristic society where the powerful ascend to glory.

To me it means that: You work your rear off, you reap in the benefits. No welfare. Nobody takes pity on you. You succeed on your own.

But when playing the general quests, too frequently I encounter the typical "evil" guy who takes pleasure in killing innocents and what not. It's why I could never get into Sith. I understand not showing any mercy to those who get in your way. But too often they go way out of their way just to kill people and be "evil"...

I love BW but I've seen this trend in their games too often. To be good you have to be the heroic tool who takes a break from saving the universe so he can save the cat stuck in a tree. To be bad you have to go out of your way and punch babies just cuz.

But I still love this game because I don't choose to be light/dark. My decisions depend on the situation, so I nearly always get the outcome I actually want.

I dont get why everyone plays empire. Doesnt everyone love characters like Luke, Han solo etc from the movies? The movies are all focused on the good side. Yeah people like Darth vader and the emperor of course, but it baffles me. i really thought Jedi and smugglers would be the most played.

I watched episode 1 the other day and I was surprised how interesting the characters were compared to the jedi in this. Making jokes all the time, getting angry pretty often, tricking people constantly, Qui-gon even immediately said "Are you an idiot?" the first time he met Jar Jar.

I never thought I'd refer to the starwars movies as a better way to do anything but there you have it. All in all the Jedi are too calm and straight laced and the overall story is a bit boring and pointless (at least for the first 20 levels). When I log onto my sith I remember how I was going to force smash some guy who betrayed me's head into the wall. When I log into one of my jedi I think "why am I collecting chemicals?" or something like that.

Anyway that's my 2-cents.

Excellent points. In the first 3 episodes the Jedi were more interesting than SWTOR's, even though as a whole those movies are not fan favorites.

To me that's sounds extremely bland, standard and juvenile. I'm not saying it is, just pointing out how people have much different opinions regarding the stories.

The point isn't the face smashing it's that I remembered why I was doing what I was doing. I have a level 22 jedi knight which I played about a day ago and I couldn't tell you anything about the story at all. And betrayal is bland? Shakespeare would like a word with you.

I think you should specify stories rather than gameplay since it's similar in both factions.

But IMO, it really comes down to Star Wars itself. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Star Wars. I'm a diehard fan but even I admit the saga never had much complexity with its characters/story.

The bad are straightforward bad. The good are straightforward good.

That's why i like the trooper story so much, especially in the later stages. it's very much not straight forward. A lot of the proper 'military' choices are dark and adds an interesting element.

The JAXO choice is still the best in the game!

I dont get why everyone plays empire. Doesnt everyone love characters like Luke, Han solo etc from the movies? The movies are all focused on the good side. Yeah people like Darth vader and the emperor of course, but it baffles me. i really thought Jedi and smugglers would be the most played.

lol I went down to a game workshop store on the weekend and I asked the kids AND adults who are your favourite characters in the original star wars saga. Loads of them said darth vader hell a few kids even said darth sidious. I think even george lucas himself that majority of fans like darth vader more than luke skywalker.

The problem is that majority of star wars fans have seen the republic and have played jedi in majority of games and now we have the chance to see the other side of the fenece so more people will be interested in that.

Edited by lokdron

I found the imprial side boring and one dimensional for the most part. Ok, I'm a slave i get it already, do

Like the republic side a lot more. The JAX moment is the single best moment in this game and by far the toughest choice i've seen

you mean as a Trooper when you decide whether to release Jaxo or the prisoners on A77?

That's why i like the trooper story so much, especially in the later stages. it's very much not straight forward. A lot of the proper 'military' choices are dark and adds an interesting element.

Wish I could go back and flush those prisoners. I miss Jaxo. Got trigger happy on the light / dark side options... doh!

Edited by --Grim--

I almost punched my screen when this happened. Why u do dis swtor!?

About the talk over Jedi being bland, it really depends on the Jedi.

My Sentinel isn't full Light (actually less Light-side than my Juggernaut), and he'll fling insults, flirtations, and cockiness at most encounters. He'll also kill villains that deserve it (the antagonist on Tython, for example). So, he's not a rigid character that binds to a cliche personality.

Hell, binding to the cliche personality is acceptable for a Jedi because of the code, which says that emotions and passion are bad things, which I personally disagree with. A lot of the NPC Jedi are fairly bland, but there are a few that stand out.

I guess you just have to think about the code, which is definitely going to make them less passionate than a trooper or smuggler, or any of the Empire classes. But they're still living beings, and they can still have emotions and personalities, you just have to give it to them.

I guess it's just preference, though. I kind of prefer the personality Jedi can get with having qualms with the code, but obeying it anyway.

Honest question.

Trooper / Smuggler are ok. The Jedi storylines are snoozefests. And the voice acting sucks. The gear is ugly and.. well you get the idea. Pretty much everyone agrees.

I love playing my Imperial toons. Everything about them is just more fun.

So why is that so? Do the Devs really hate the Republic / Light side that much? Or perhaps they just phoned in their Republic work because they had the flu that day... there must be some reason the Devs failed so badly in making it fun to play Republic.

Anyone have the scuttlebutt and inside infoz? I would really like to know why the Devs favored the Imps..

Well i played a Shadow to 50. The story sucks IMO, and the gear... well, the gear looks like crap.

I actually enjoyed the Jedi Knight storyline. Felt pretty epic. As for Empire / Dark Side, meh, I find absolutely no appeal in being evil. Then again, I may be unique in that I never went through a "pale and tragic" phase as a teenager.

I'm like that too. Evil/emo feels rather 1-dimentional to me. It seems that simply killing someone instead of letting them live ends the mission and is the "easy way out". That's why I play a smuggler and bounty hunter, both with a selfish/greedy streak, sometimes doing the "dark" thing but more often the good. I never understood the "I'm so darkity-dark-dark-kill-everything-emo" thing.

[This is coming from someone who was loyal to the Horde back in vanilla WoW, though the Horde never was evil, at least not the core of the horde (forget undeads).]

Guess I got a thing for playing the underdog.

Edited by Stenrik

I guess it all depends on point of views.

I started out playing a Sith Warrior. That was fun until I realized that this bad *** mofo was spending more time killing mindless stuff for missions which was not my top priority compared to my main story. For a Dark Side fella, why on earth should I focus on stuff besides my nr. 1 priority? (I understand from a gameplay perspective, but lore-wise - its just stupid - he's suppose to be The One, but most of the time he just helps other lesser allies and forget about the main problem).

I then rolled a Jedi Knight and the overall feeling is that the Republic needs to stand together or face certain doom. It makes a hell of alot more sense story-wise to go help all the different poor people around the galaxy compared to the ego-centric Sith Warrior.

Boring is a very subjective term. Looking beyond the eye-candy, I found the Sith Warrior story a little too predictable and the whole "I am Sith, I will kill you!" got old really, really fast.

The Sith Inquisitor is actually very good for those that don't like the, 'DIE PUNY HUMAN' type of choices the Sith Warrior gets. That's just me though. I'm gonna go try out a Trooper after all this talk of the best choice in the game. Should be fun.