Cel Cawdro's Commentary on the "Community Desire for Species" Poll Results

CelCawdro

While I think the in game polls they had from Beta where great and could be used more often by all MMO designers to get a feel for the thoughts of the players I think even the forums would be a step in the right direction. Hell even a one to one post with Cel would be a good idea.

Biowares increased communication hasn't really been everything we had hoped for, this could be the start of some real attempts to communicate and ask the players what they want as we will hopefully see with the class representatives.

I try not to view myself as some kind of keeper of public opinion on the matter. I'd much rather they revive those in-game surveys. :) I still have no idea why we haven't seen them persistently post-release. They could be a very vital tool for many things.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

:sul_smile: SULLUSTAN OR ****

Really wanted to ressurect my old SWG jedi here :(

They even toyed with my dream before release with these smiles;

:tran_cool::i_mad::w_rolls_eyes::mon_cool: ::rod_wink_g::sul_angel:

I remember thinking that if these were available and there are even avators of all those species, we would see them in game.......boy was I wrong.

Still waiting for a Star Wars game where i can play a Bith also :o

Edited by kirorx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I wish you worked for BioWare...

My brother is actually gearing up to apply to their art department, so we'll see what happens. :D I'm just a boring literacy coordinator for my little corner of Ontario - my skills don't exactly transfer well to the video game industry. :) That being said, BioWare itself was founded by two medical doctors... ;)

:sul_smile: SULLUSTAN OR ****

Really wanted to ressurect my old SWG jedi here :(

They even toyed with my dream before release with these smiles;

:tran_cool::i_mad::w_rolls_eyes::mon_cool: ::rod_wink_g::sul_angel:

I remember thinking that if these were available and there are even avators of all those species, we would see them in game.......boy was I wrong.

Still waiting for a Star Wars game where i can play a Bith also :o

It would be nice if they gave you diehard SW:G vets a break on this note to be launched in tandem with the open space expansion. Very thematic. This complete post-Cathar silence is deafening, however. They, nor anyone else, do not seem to be on the table right now.

Well, I hold out hope we will see other races in the future.

I would also like to see holographic disguises, items we could click on to give us a certain appearance that overrides armor, like companions.

It would be removed when you enter a convo, so no problems there IMO. It would allow folks to look like a wookie, or a jawa, or a droid if they wished.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I hold out hope we will see other races in the future.

I would also like to see holographic disguises, items we could click on to give us a certain appearance that overrides armor, like companions.

It would be removed when you enter a convo, so no problems there IMO. It would allow folks to look like a wookie, or a jawa, or a droid if they wished.

I don't mean to shoot you down or anything, but in my opinion, seeing something like that appear would be a deathknell for my interest in SW:TOR. It would signify surrender to the truly cheapest and easiest path to a certain goal. Given that we're just now coming to the end of content that has been planned since release, and that the current team is only now starting to take their first steps without the assistance of the launch team's goal path, this isn't the type of content I would encourage.

I would like to see a little ambition for upcoming content. Not half-measures and small feature rehashes. Again, not necessarily saying the idea is bad - it's been around for some time - I just want to see a little more drive from the design team before I would allow them the benefit of the doubt with such a cop out feature.

It does appear despite the claim that if Cathar did well we would see more species and that the devs had narrowed it down to a choice of 3 additional species have died in the water.

All the work that has been put into this thread and I wonder why the development team seem so set on ignoring it. The best selling point to this game is the level 1 to 55 experience and if you can add something as simple as new species to encourage people to replay or probably even better from EA's point of view spend cartel coins for a species unlock and then a species change. Its got to be worth while.

I know saying simple will get some peoples backs up and they will say there is nothing simple about a new species and clipping problems. But given nothing in the game appears to be quick or simple for the Devs to add, take space combat where it can't be PvE cause it would be too complex to add the npc ships in a new species has to be a lot lower on the list or difficulty,

It does appear despite the claim that if Cathar did well we would see more species and that the devs had narrowed it down to a choice of 3 additional species have died in the water.

All the work that has been put into this thread and I wonder why the development team seem so set on ignoring it. The best selling point to this game is the level 1 to 55 experience and if you can add something as simple as new species to encourage people to replay or probably even better from EA's point of view spend cartel coins for a species unlock and then a species change. Its got to be worth while.

I know saying simple will get some peoples backs up and they will say there is nothing simple about a new species and clipping problems. But given nothing in the game appears to be quick or simple for the Devs to add, take space combat where it can't be PvE cause it would be too complex to add the npc ships in a new species has to be a lot lower on the list or difficulty,

Honestly, I don't mind if the thread goes without reply. Although a little more attention would have been nice, I've never been one to demand recognition from the company - I did this primarily for the community. The poll thread was, after all, featured on the community spotlight in its infancy. And Amber did note that she had seen the thread, at the very least, on Twitter. As with any suggestion thread, it's a *****ly topic for the higher ups since saying, "We're using your idea" or "Thanks for the help!" and the like can have legal repercussions if the person making the suggestion tries to get a little cash out of their idea if its used. Granted, their attempts are ultimately fruitless (ToS and all that), but it can still have some legal costs associated.

That little tirade aside, what bothers me is absolutely no communication on the issue otherwise. No vision of what the game will be in a year or two, five or ten. All the content that has its roots pre-release is just making its way out there, now, and the current development team has not laid out their intent. Everything seems to be short-sighted, and I certainly hope that's not deliberate. Any questions that address long-term concerns (such as continued class stories) dance around instead of giving straight up, honest and frank answers.

This is particularly painful for me, obviously, on the topic of new playable species. We were told that there was a genuine desire to establish a dialogue with the players on this topic. We haven't seen anything. At all. Cathar took six or so months more than was initially planned to release, and that's fine, but we weren't told why, or if those same issues would make subsequent releases more difficult.

I've been a very passionate recruiter for SW:TOR, and I still am (still the greatest story on the market), but it's hard to maintain that passion when I don't see it from the development team themselves.

im not spending money on anything other than additional companions and species. So far i have bought treek unlocked HK and the cathar race with real life money .

i have been slapped in the face with makeb > now free

slapped in the face with super rare mounts > wont bother even if they are cool at that price

Its up to Bioware if they want my money add more species.

All i currently spend my free coins on is packs to sell on the gtn.

If you want my money Bioware you know what to do

Edited by Alpha-Llama

Still waiting on new species before I make my last two toons. If they're on the horizon when it comes time for me to make them, I'll hold out. If not, well then, finishing them may mean finishing the game for me.

I must admit, I actually started a human Jedi Knight. I've been saving the class for a Kel Dor. It's the final thing I was looking forward to, so once I finish that, unless a few people start playing again (which new species would definitely do) or a species I like is implemented to give me an excuse to revisit a class or three, there's nothing else for me, here.

Eh, I can't even enjoy my Jedi Knight. I have literal holds full of items saved for my Kel Dor, and it just felt defeatist to mail anything over. I'm a prisoner of my own making, I know, but that doesn't change the fact that the entire time I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if a Kel Dor did X?" or "I wonder if I would do the same thing on a Kel Dor..." I actually dreamt that nine new species were being worked on (this was announced when the SSSP launched), before it segued into a pretty awesome Lovecraftian horror landscape zombie-type dream that's going to leave me feeling odd all day...

Anyway, I digress.

Some people play for the raiding game, but that's done better elsewhere.

Some people play for the player versus player, but that's done better elsewhere.

Some people play for the setting, but there is no alternative.

And some people play for the story, because SW:TOR is the number one MMO in that respect.

I tolerated the former two because of the latter two. Unfortunately, it seems that BioWare has lost the desire to capitalize both on the setting and narrative strength of their game and are instead focusing on their weaknesses. Perhaps the SSSP will be a step in the right direction, since it's off of the WoW path that early SW:TOR painfully attempted to ape. I'm very interested to see what the plans for the future are, post-space.

• 4 months later...

As mentioned above, I was very interested to see what direction the game would take post-SSSP. It's now post-SSSP and we've see a little glimpse of that direction. I have to say that it's quite encouraging. I haven't been around or playing much (and likely won't be), since I have a youngling of my own on the way, but I just wanted to pipe in with that.

This bodes well.

Hopefully this focus on player desire and immersion will result in a few or these community suggestions making it into the game. If Kel Dor make it, my incoming sleepless nights might be a little more sleepless. :)

• 6 months later...
I've been gone for a LONG while (in related news, I'm a dad now!) - anyone have any updates on this front? :)

Congratz!

No news, unfortunately. Official announcement of 3.0 "by the end of the month", though, and since the last new playable race came out right after 2.0 I would think that if we're going to get a new one it'll be part of, or soon after, this new expansion.

Thanks, guys. Quite the experience. :)

That being said, I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed to hear that there's been nothing but silence. During my initial crusade, we were told time and time again that the community would be involved in the process - and that there was, indeed, a process - for selecting the next species. It was more a question of when than if.

I for one would like the Voss, but I can see some problems,My Cathar BH,on one planet had several anti-cathar missons.

can you imaging being a Voss and doing anti Voss things?

My argument for the inclusion of Voss justifies this by having the requirement that another character on the legacy has already completed this story content at least once, thus recruiting a Voss member into their legacy. While that content would still be available for mechanical purposes, the understanding would be that the story of that Voss began after the planet was recruited into its respective faction.