State of the Game: My Opinion (Please share your thoughts)

I think this is acceptable. Being able to remove mods from armor and insert them into other armor should not be free in my opinion and I do not consider 100,000 credit to be difficult to come by for a level 50 character.

I disagree with your initial premise as I understand it. I think certain appearances should be reserved or restricted based on certain criteria. I do not believe that any character class is restricted to any particular armor look thanks to social armor.

Please do not do any of these things.

Dude I so agree with you. I leveled a Shadow and kept the same custom gear all the way up because I liked the look. That means every time I get new gear I would yank out the mods and pop it in the stuff I'm wearing. The only gear I did not do it for is the Battlemaster because I was losing the set bonus. Swapped it for War Hero though and never have I been unable to buy what I wanted, level my crafting skills, buy my class skills or anything. The cost for swapping mods is a money sink and not that big of one because most people don't swap mods daily.

How characters look due to their armor class and faction should be different. Sure they're looking the other way for social gear but you gotta earn the levels to wear it. Outside of that it'll just seem wrong a sorc rocking heavy armor or a Commando in a robe.

Now I agree more options is a good thing there should still be limits. Do not compromise the look of the game more than necessary.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with your initial premise as I understand it. I think certain appearances should be reserved or restricted based on certain criteria. I do not believe that any character class is restricted to any particular armor look thanks to social armor.

While I think the new ability to wear social armor as effective gear for all characters is a step in the right direction, the amount of social armor is such a tiny fraction of the amount of all of the possible appearances. For example, I would love for my Trooper to be able to wear a Smuggler style trench coat and hat.

Personally, I don't think I could care less about a dye system. It's hard for me to imagine a new game system which I would not prefer to see more than this.

Wow, seriously? You don't want to be able to pick the colors of your clothes at all? My main character is a Sorceror, and probably 80% of the gear available is black or red, and that's just not how I want him to look.

I whole-heartedly disagree with pretty much everything in this section. I have a crafter of every profession at 400 with the exception of Biochem which is somewhere around 350 and I'm quite happy with crafting.

I don't know. Maybe I don't understand how crafting is suppose to work. But if I've been playing for months and still don't quite get it, I'd think there's a problem. I mean, I like to think I'm pretty smart but something about Synth. just isn't clicking for me. I mean, I've started crafting high-end augments and selling them and that works fine for me, but I've crafted some orange gear and I've put it on the market a few times but no one seems to want it.

How characters look due to their armor class and faction should be different. Sure they're looking the other way for social gear but you gotta earn the levels to wear it. Outside of that it'll just seem wrong a sorc rocking heavy armor or a Commando in a robe.

Now I agree more options is a good thing there should still be limits. Do not compromise the look of the game more than necessary.

But the thing is, there would only be a Commando wearing a robe if someone really wanted to put their Commando in a robe. Just because it would be possible for players to do this doesn't mean that they would. Like I said above, the last MMO I played was City of Heroes. Now in that game you could EASILY make a horrible looking character with super bright clashing colors that just looked annoying. But you know what? Hardly anyone did.

You see, you're assuming that just because it would be possible to make these ridiculous looking characters, that players would do so. But most players don't want their character to look ridiculous, and so they won't. But maybe I find a pair of Bounty Hunter gloves that would look cool on my Sorceror, or maybe I want my Jedi Shadow to dress like a smuggler to look less conspicuous and fit in with the crowd. Why shouldn't I be able to do that?

I mean, with the coming social armor changes, a Trooper could run around wearing the Sand People mask, the Voss Mystic bottom robes, and the Belsavis Prisoner shirt... but how often do you really think you are going to see that?

This one is a bit harder to do as it requires some changes to our art pipeline. I can't promise anything but many people in the studio want that feature (myself included).

Then here is a wild idee,how about bioware actually make us some robes with the hood down ??

You know like the jedi guards on Alderaan.................

You see, you're assuming that just because it would be possible to make these ridiculous looking characters, that players would do so. But most players don't want their character to look ridiculous, and so they won't. But maybe I find a pair of Bounty Hunter gloves that would look cool on my Sorceror, or maybe I want my Jedi Shadow to dress like a smuggler to look less conspicuous and fit in with the crowd. Why shouldn't I be able to do that?

You seriously underestimate the average gamer. Esp here. I can tell you right now give male characters the ability to wear the slave girl social gear and that same day you'll see at least 5 male characters with body type 4 wearing it.

Let's keep some restrictions in place please.

Edited by DarthKhaos

i agree 100% but i highly doubt BW is going to do anthing. they think they know what we want better than we do and frankly im getting sick of it, w/e dev that decided to make character customization a credit sink needs to be fired. and the fact they are release 1.3 tomorrow with all the threads on the pts forums with players furious about some of the changes esp jugg/guardian and assassin/shadow tanks, but all of those threads are ignored proving they dont give a flying rats *** about any feedback givin. Edited by GooseGrims

For me, the gear system in the game is INCREDIBLY frustrating and reeks of fail.

You want to keep some restrictions in place...fine. But the costs associated with taking mods out of gear in order to put them in the gear you want is RIDICULOUS. I can earn about 40k in 25 minutes of doing dailies. So basically, it is AN HOUR OF MY LIFE to unslot ONE PIECE OF GEAR. This is INSANE.

Contrast this with appearance tabs in other games. STO, Lotro, etc. Sure, there maybe SOME cost, but it isnt enough to chain you to your keyboard for EIGHT OR MORE HOURS to get one outfit, AFTER you have already spent a bajillion hours getting all the pieces.

A 30% drop isnt enough. We are still talking about 5+hrs of dailies for ONE outfit. This is just appearance. No improvement in stats. 5 hrs to JUST SHUFFLE STATS between gear I have ALREADY SPENT COUNTLESS OTHER HOURS EARNING. Its not like this piece of war hero gear fell out of the sky for free. The whole system is a MASSIVE slap in the face and is so puzzling in its costs that it makes me think BW is COMPLETELY CLUELESS.

You say you want players to be able to customize, yet you penalize them with high prices and exorbitant fees at EVERY opportunity. You guys have a strange way of showing the playerbase your desires to help them customize their toons appearance. This game has one of the worst, most frustrating system I have ever seen.

Suggestion: ONE TIME, MODERATE fee to unlock ALL THE SLOTS on a piece of gear. After you unlock those slots you can take something out, or put something in, as MANY TIMES AS YOU LIKE. This would MESH MUCH CLOSER with appearance tab systems that players have come to love and expect.

Edited by Dyvim

You seriously underestimate the average gamer. Esp here. I can tell you right now give male characters the ability to wear the slave girl social gear and that same day you'll see at least 5 male characters with body type 4 wearing it.

Let's keep some restrictions in place please.

Sure, on the first day people will try out whatever they can. But a week or two later and how many of those characters do you think will STILL be wearing it? Besides I don't think they'll be allowing male characters to wear the slave girl outfit.

I mean, you're suggesting that they somehow go through and create restrictions to only allow outfits that look good. That's impossible. Even now there's plenty of outfits that don't look good. There's outfit combinations that clip horribly, but the devs can't be responsible if a player WANTS to look bad. That kind of thing happens. That always happens when people are allowed to choose, but that doesn't mean you should take away the ability to choose.

Sure, on the first day people will try out whatever they can. But a week or two later and how many of those characters do you think will STILL be wearing it? Besides I don't think they'll be allowing male characters to wear the slave girl outfit.

I mean, you're suggesting that they somehow go through and create restrictions to only allow outfits that look good. That's impossible. Even now there's plenty of outfits that don't look good. There's outfit combinations that clip horribly, but the devs can't be responsible if a player WANTS to look bad. That kind of thing happens. That always happens when people are allowed to choose, but that doesn't mean you should take away the ability to choose.

Yes I think they would and no I don't think they deliberately place restrictions for "looking good" however they have a certain vision. Some may agree some may disagree however I and some others (don't know if it is the majority or not to be frank I don't care if majority or not) believe that light armor classes shouldn't look like they're rocking heavy armor. That's just my opinion and I believe BioWare is right with keeping that for the gear outside of social gear. If they change it I'll just disagree. I'm not gonna cry, I'll send them an e-mail stating as such and that's that.

This issue is not game breaking as many of you all are trying to make it out to be and in regards to the cost in swapping mods I don't find it to be that bad. I got a couple mil on my char doing nothing and I don't swap my looks on a daily basis. Each character I got has a signature look and I keep that going. But that's just me.

This issue is not game breaking as many of you all are trying to make it out to be and in regards to the cost in swapping mods I don't find it to be that bad. I got a couple mil on my char doing nothing and I don't swap my looks on a daily basis. Each character I got has a signature look and I keep that going. But that's just me.

try changing a full set of gear with lvl 61 mods, and i dont mean to change on a dialy basis, just once is about 1 million credits. then when they release the next tier it will cost even more to take those mods out and put them in the set your wearing. thats why players want it changed now so they dont have to A) look like everyone else or B) spend an insane amount every time they get an upgrade.

this is the only MMO ive ever played that made changing your apperance a money sink.

should we have an added chore to playing the game cause BW's tier sets look like crap and the stats look like they were placed by helen keller?

if your fine with it then thats on you, but i am not fine with having to get multiple pieces of gear, and grind daily quests to fix the mistakes BW made on the stats (merc/troop healers need REFLEX armorings not Commando DUR!) sometimes i think they just throw a dart at a board and say "yea that looks good".

Then here is a wild idee,how about bioware actually make us some robes with the hood down ??

You know like the jedi guards on Alderaan.................

My main complaint here is that there's clearly already plenty of models in game with hoods down. Why are NONE of them available to players?!

And I also agree that ALL armor appearances should be available in custom form.

This one is a bit harder to do as it requires some changes to our art pipeline. I can't promise anything but many people in the studio want that feature (myself included).

Good to see them letting you post adeptstain =D

My main complaint here is that there's clearly already plenty of models in game with hoods down. Why are NONE of them available to players?!

And I also agree that ALL armor appearances should be available in custom form.

i remember in beta all the gear was modable, but they decided the players were not smart enough and made it so only purple and orange gear was modable. ive been dieing to find a red robe for my juggernaut but the only heavy ones that exsist are green items. there is an exotech thats red but its medium and i would take an armor hit and as a tank that wouldnt be very good imo lol. so i had to settle for a black robe with red trim which still looks good but i would prefer red with the black trim.

It actually is a very high priority. Identity is incredibly important in an MMO and we're always looking at ways to help players better express themselves and facilitate strengthening that identity.

You list some very thoughtful suggestions, and while I can't promise any of those things will ever happen, we definitely appreciate your feedback and take it seriously.

However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something. :)

so Bioware won't let you create a normal appearance tab like you did for SWG? (and image designing system if possible?

<3 Matt AdeptStrain Boudreaux

It actually is a very high priority. Identity is incredibly important in an MMO and we're always looking at ways to help players better express themselves and facilitate strengthening that identity.

You list some very thoughtful suggestions, and while I can't promise any of those things will ever happen, we definitely appreciate your feedback and take it seriously.

However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something. :)

This sounds great, but I have to ask if there is any though to allowing companions access to class restricted armor if they are based on that class? Light and Medium armor is especially bad because a lot of those orange sets are class restricted.

I think it would also help customization if more of the "green" crafted sets would be fully modable in their purple state.

This sounds great, but I have to ask if there is any though to allowing companions access to class restricted armor if they are based on that class? Light and Medium armor is especially bad because a lot of those orange sets are class restricted.

I think it would also help customization if more of the "green" crafted sets would be fully modable in their purple state.

I have to say I like that idea. You can work up the style you like to the purple, where it gives you the stats you need now, and the ability to keep it with you as you level. I could see that putting a healthy boost into the crafting economy. There'd actually be a demand for items of all levels, and a reason to bring them to purple. Not to mention you don't need ALL possible variants for people to use it. Got an agent piece with absorption? No problem, just replace the mods.

The one issue I could think of is people using it as an easier source of mods than going to the actual crafters that make them. Why buy armoring from a cybertech when you can just buy a purple chestpiece and rip a full set of mods out? Making it so that you can't rip the initial mods out, only replace them might work.

Edited by MillionsKNives

Thank you. This is the best post from a game "rep" that I have read in years. The first sentence of it says more about how you "get" the MMO audience than anything official I have read on these boards.

Edited by CosmicKat

That's good to know.

Could you please also advise on:

1) A toggle for the helmet audio distortion for players and companions, so we can have a helmet without the voice distortion if we wish.

2) Fixing the "big butt" issue experienced by many jedi knights with body type 2 and many robes.

3) Hood toggle for players and companions. (This has been requested for the longest time.)

4) Choosing the colour of your chest piece (and for companions) via a colour hue selection.

5) Giving players the ability to change appearance in-game after the character creation scheme.

6) Allow companions to wear gear that has a class requirement (i.e., Nadia should be able to wear Consular gear but can't; Scourge should be able to wear Sith Warrior gear but can't etc.)

7) Giving players the ability to change character and legacy names?

All of these are very important to customisation.

Edited by llesna

I have to say I'm a bit confused as to why this is so much harder. The game can already disable the hood if certain conditions are present (character is a Twi'lek or wearing a particular headgear). Why not just give control of that toggle to the player like we have the option not to show the headgear? Yes, "hood not displayed" is not the same as "hood down", but it's close enough for most situations.

I am encouraged to hear that greater customization options remain a priority. I hate it when I have to dress my companions in ugly clothing just because I've outleveled the nice looking stuff. :)

Well what about hoods up with helmets on? Like full helmets? I don't know anything about pipelines or anything, but I DO know that this was in Beta, so it shouldn't be too hard to just turn it on again is it? Why did you turn it off to begin with? I want my hood over my kailig helmet. or my destro looking helmet. or the helmet that looks like the leader from Chronicles of Riddick. ALL of those helmets.

Any word on that?

That's good to know.

Could you please also advise on:

1) A toggle for the helmet audio distortion for players and companions, so we can have a helmet without the voice distortion if we wish.

2) Fixing the "big butt" issue experienced by many jedi knights with body type 2 and many robes.

3) Hood toggle for players and companions. (This has been requested for the longest time.)

4) Choosing the colour of your chest piece (and for companions) via a colour hue selection.

5) Giving players the ability to change appearance in-game after the character creation scheme.

6) Allow companions to wear gear that has a class requirement (i.e., Nadia should be able to wear Consular gear but can't; Scourge should be able to wear Sith Warrior gear but can't etc.)

7) Giving players the ability to change character and legacy names?

All of these are very important to customisation.

Re: No. 5, we really need *more* options for hair and face types in particular. There are so few character designs I can feel OK playing with. Maybe 3-4 hair styles are decent. The spiky style in the front looks incredibly lame and nerdy on both lengths.

First response: Huh?

There are greater game breaking issues.

1. Classes are broken

First of all, lets talk about all the class nerfs/buffs that have DESTROYED months of work. You level a character over a month, spend months gearing it in raids of grinding pvp (will talk about this later) and then in one patch you are rendered useless. I have been through this with an operative and now a sorcerer. Both classes are literally worthless in terms of balance against other more powerful classes (aka powertech and juggernaut). What am i supposed to do? Level a 3rd character just to watch you nerf the crap out of that and buff a 4th class? Developers need to seriously consider BALANCE as a PVP and a PVE issue. Why should I bring a DPS sorc to a raid who will get buried by a DPS powertech due to fight mechanics and abilities?

2. Excessive PVP Grind and the Gear Gap

I know there are time sinks, but this is ridiculous. First, you need to GRIND your base Battlemaster gear (which was a LOT worse pre-1.2) and then you need to pay 3x as much for war hero gear thanks to turn in ratios of 3:1 for rated coms and a broken pvp warzone system. Has anyone considered that I dont want to spend a week grinding pvp for 1 piece of gear? Furthermore, what happens when you re-enter the pvp system? I stopped playing my main after 1.3 and re-entered the PVP warzone system with a significant gear gap that was unbridgeable on my server. How the hell am I supposed to go against people wearing AUGMENTED War Hero gear while im wearing recruit gear and grinding towards war hero? You get slaughtered! Why bother? Is that fun? Is that a quality game experience? Why not just roll an assassin and AFK my way to gear like everyone else is doing?! There is no skill involved. As noted on my previous 2 points its all class selection and gear!

3. Fix the Money System in regards to Legacy and Implementation

What is the purpose of credits in this game? The GTN is a joke and you have to stop and ask yourself WHY the Legacy system was imposed on us with rank AND money requirements? If the average player has 1 million credits, is this yet another time sink? If this is they case, why is your entire economic and leveling system just a giant time sink? A time sink play system is not enjoyable. It is exactly that: a sink. You are wasting your time (money, experience, enjoyment) with no something which you have no real joy in. Why are we playing a game to do things we do not enjoy? Has anyone addressed the issue of playing this game to have FUN?!

You dont believe me? Tell you what devs: go queue for a warzone... better yet, go try to do daily quests and see the level of players that are out there right now trying to get by. They are under geared, under skilled, and have selected classes you have discarded as "support" by making them under powered.

Is this the player experience you envisioned when you started the SWTOR project 3 years ago?

Edited by Sardoodledom

The LFG tool for instance. All of the flashpoints are centralized in one location. Anyone looking for a group should have just went to the fleet....like most do currently.

A LFG tool really won't do much. People aren't finding groups because people aren't looking for groups. A LFG tool isn't going to magically fix this, like many are going to find out soon enough.

Highly disagree. I have gone down there before to try that, and it's rare to find anyone since no one wants to sit there waiting for the right combination for too long, especially when servers were too spread out because BioWare began with more than it should have.

Even though there is a chunk of people who just aren't looking to group, it's a small number who *never* want to group, and this feature should stimulate group usage significantly because people who would otherwise forgo it or leave it up to chance encounters will now have a terrifically passive way to find groups while continuing along with other objectives and whatnot.

I did a Lv. 28 Heroic 4 solo when I was Lv. 35, taking forever, just because there was no one around the area and I didn't want to leave the planet without crossing it off. It was slow but doable...but I would have preferred to have had another person with me to speed things up and make it more reasonable (when you run out of force, it's no fun). With a group finder, I could have queued it up and had a better chance at finding help while I was doing some of the earlier quests.

EDIT: I will say this: If Bioware put a GTN and mailbox on the same floor/area as the flashpoint terminal area (terminology is escaping me), people would be a heck of a lot more likely to congregate there and see other players standing near a flashpoint they were looking to do. One vendor is not enough to keep people busy there.

Edited by RiversBlack

I have to say I'm a bit confused as to why this is so much harder. The game can already disable the hood if certain conditions are present (character is a Twi'lek or wearing a particular headgear). Why not just give control of that toggle to the player like we have the option not to show the headgear? Yes, "hood not displayed" is not the same as "hood down", but it's close enough for most situations.

It's the same excuse they used MONTHS ago when the game first came out and we all started complaining. We pointed out that the game engine/art/everything already supports a simple removal toggle, as evidenced by twilek hood removal as well as various other headpieces disabling the hood... and yet we were told that for some reason this was an "art department" issue... well 6 months later and I guess the art department still hasnt learned out to code in an option in the preferences to simply enable the already existing code as a user toggle.......

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=899389&postcount=30

^ pretty much the last real info we heard on it...

Edited by Polebreaker

any chance we could customize the "acquire focus target's target" keybind? right now its locked to CTRL+F, and there is no way to change it in the Keybinds menu. would really like to be able to rebind it to something a little easier to press