DPS queuing as tanks/healers

This seems to be a problem. First FP group I find using the LFG tool we get a DPS who queued as a healer (for a shorter queue) and then demanded that someone else help him heal because he couldn't do it alone. There doesn't seem to be a kick option either.

There needs to be a check on what spec people currently have. People with "damage" specs should not be able to tick healer or tank.

Edited by NasherUK

This was to be expected, I fully agree with the OP that you shouldn't be able to queue as a tank/healer if you aren't specced appropriately. At Least from level 30 and onwards. Edited by Tkerzis

This was to be expected, I fully agree with the OP that you shouldn't be able to queue as a tank/healer if you aren't specced appropriately. At Least from level 30 and onwards.

I agree that they should put restrictions on what you can queue as depending on your current spec, then allow in exceptions for when they put in dual-spec.

This happened a fair amount in WoW (I ran with friends, was a healer and the other half was a tank - DPS we got tended to be real DPS) but I don't believe anything was done to address the issue - it was expected that the community would sort out the issue.

it's up to the community to solve the issue, and they ought to be doing stupid stuff the very first days of the tools coming live.

While people will start to be blacklisted by groups for doing such silly things and get autokicked, then they will learn eventually.

Had a similar problem today. Doing Hammer Station with 2 friends (Commando DPS and Shadow Tank) and used the group finder to find another DPS, since I was the healer. We got another Shadow as a DPS, and went into the flashpoint. He ran ahead to the two gold droids near the start and grabbed all the aggro, so my friend was trying to pull it back since he was the tank, which didn't go too well and left us pretty confused. Apparently, the DPS Shadow had decided he wanted to Tank. If you're going to tank, then why queue as DPS?

I realise that there's probably not going to be an easy fix for this, if at all, I just wish people would have more common sense and, if they queue for something, they should be prepared to take up that role.

There is supposed to be (key word supposed) a group kick option so that if someone tries that crap they get kicked by everyone else.

There is, I had to utilize it today, but it's kind of hidden. I had to target the person, right click their target window, choose the Group submenu, and the vote kick option was there. I didn't see it by right clicking their name in the ops frames.

Yep, they need both a skill check and a gear check really. Queuing for a role you can't do is bad. Queuing for HM flashpoints in L49-50 Greens is equally bad.

No, if anything there is too much restriction.

Most FP HM can be tanked by a dps if the healer is good, most FP Hm are easy enough so a hybrid specced healer can heal.

Players need to evolve, an automatic system can't think for everyone.

That's already retarded than you can't sign a dps class as tank if you know you're up to the job. A dps specc jug/guard/vanguard can definitely tank most of the FP HM, just as marauder/sentinel/commando/mercenary can as well.

As well, FP HM were nerfed so much that you can do them in green I'm afraid.

Edited by Nolenthar

As well, FP HM were nerfed so much that you can do them in green I'm afraid.

The problem is that while you can definitely tank most HM FPs as, say, a Vig specced Guardian that does rely on having a good healer as well as good gear on the tank. With the tool you aren't guaranteed either of those things which is why you need people to be in the correct roles. Sure, if you have 4 good players on TS then you can do all sorts of crazy things with composition but when there is a very real possibility that 2 of the group will be undergeared and inexperienced somebody doing those sorts of crazy things takes the situation from being a close call to a certain wipe.

The problem is that while you can definitely tank most HM FPs as, say, a Vig specced Guardian that does rely on having a good healer as well as good gear on the tank. With the tool you aren't guaranteed either of those things which is why you need people to be in the correct roles. Sure, if you have 4 good players on TS then you can do all sorts of crazy things with composition but when there is a very real possibility that 2 of the group will be undergeared and inexperienced somebody doing those sorts of crazy things takes the situation from being a close call to a certain wipe.

Yes, but there is simply no solution to this. The community has to policy itself, the players have to take responsability of their actions just as much as they would before LFG tool was included.

No matter how many restrictions you would implement, such as gear check, a feat check, a what not game-time checked, FP done check, you'll harm the playerbase.

Yes, the first few days of the tools, people will hit 50, sign up for FP HM in level 45 green just because they can, and wipe the group before they get a vote kick. But at one point people should communicate, tell to that person "I'm sorry dude, but we don't think you're geared enough for that challenge and we will kick you out of group, do some dailies first !" and the community will learn by itself, guilds will communicate to their new guildies, etc.

Implementing restrictions is just gonna deny the community to evolve, deny good players to meet each other, etc. LFG tool is a great asset, but if we turn it into a very restrictive tool, it won't do any good.

Edited by Nolenthar

Also be aware that there are bugs in the tool that will sometimes queue a player for a role they did not choose. One of my guildies is a DPS sage. He selected only DPS everytime we queue and yet he always gets selected as a healer. Luckily for us we had a sage healer in the guild who was running with healer checked. The game grabbed him as a DPS. So in the end we got what we need, but it incorrect assigned the roles of both of them.

Also be aware that there are bugs in the tool that will sometimes queue a player for a role they did not choose. One of my guildies is a DPS sage. He selected only DPS everytime we queue and yet he always gets selected as a healer. Luckily for us we had a sage healer in the guild who was running with healer checked. The game grabbed him as a DPS. So in the end we got what we need, but it incorrect assigned the roles of both of them.

Have to agree with this, I'm a healer and have been switched to a dps role, and one of our tanks and dps have had their roles switched with one another. So while some dps may be trying to shorten their ques by marking roles they cannot do it MAY not necessarily be their fault.

Most FP HM can be tanked by a dps if the healer is good, most FP Hm are easy enough so a hybrid specced healer can heal.

This would only be true if

a) The dps is really well geared and

b) Can really pump out the damage to maintain aggro.

I pugged a HM FP last night (as a healer) with 3 dpses, one of whom was marked as a tank, who couldn't maintain aggo and everyone kept getting attacked, including me. We managed to pull it off but it was very frustrating. When I'm trying to break LoS and self-heal, nobody else is getting healed, inviting wipes.