Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

Felnadir

Even if resolve is working correctly and is providing some real immunity for players (most times I get chained, I'd be dead anyways cuz I was focused by 2+ players), the bigger problem is the CC breaker is on a 2 minute cooldown. Most every CC is on one minute or less of a cooldown. When a long match might net you 6 or 7 uses of a CC break VS a couple dozen stun opportunities, I think there's a problem.

CC breakers need to be 1 minute cooldowns. Done.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about you people, but I'll rather fight against a good team, while playing with a good team, than anything else.

So, keep sharing whatever thoughts you have on PvP.

I fully support what you're doing and for that you will get a "+1"

Agreed, I had a huttball the other night where I was in with a group of friends vs another team. It was so much fun we ended up winning with a score of 1-0 because of an epic pass chain we coordinated. I would rather have that than a no competition win / loss.

Great explanation OP.

I find it hypocritical that this is by Rome-Fu who plays a Sorc. The class that is know for its overabundance of over the top cc. At 50 the guy can stun you and kill you before the stun wears off.

This post is just an attempt to counter the qq about sorcs, and a defense of a cc heavy classes and nothing more.

The problem is that the immunity doesn't always work. I consistantly get stunned or cryo froze while having a full white resolve bar.

This really pisses me off in a warzone.

Further I think a stun should full fill your bar. You can easily die in the course of 2 stuns. Once you get stunned you should have immunity to further stuns for at least 20s.

I have died way too many times by getting back to back stunned.

Resolve bar? Chain-cc is a constant, I've never noticed any form of diminishing/immunity. Of course, with the absurd lag in this game's pvp...I could have been immune for quite a while...or dead for quite a while...or just waiting a minute to roll into cover....

Is the game broken or does it just have a few (lots) of bugs? Time will tell, but right now I am disgusted that a 2012 game (well, it should have been...EA responsible for the early release?) is released with so many game breaking issues. Sure, the story is cute and the single-player PvE is pretty decent (now that Taris is fixed), but PvP is beyond broken. PvP is unplayable pretty much, if insta-abilities take 2 seconds...nm...doubt BW reads here.

Edited by Illwill-

So in doing some testing of the resolve bar ive noticed a few things. Anyone who can confirm, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. full white resolve bar only makes you immune to CC while its ticking down. Once the full bar goes white, there is a 1-1.5 second lag until it actually starts to tick down. During this time you can still be CC'd even though the bar is full and white.

2. If you are in a CC that turned your full bar white and are CC'd again before coming out of the previous CC, you get no immunity. Theoretically you can be CC'd indefinitely since the full white resolve bar will never start to tick.

One other thing i noticed is that while the resolve bar is ticking down, you cant drop out of combat. This only happened to me once or twice so im not as confident in this one as the first 2 but is worth mentioning as you cant heal up or go into stealth.

Bioware can "explain" resolve as much as they like here - it's still obvious that it doesn't actually work for the purpose for which it was designed in pvp. By the time the bar is full you'll probably be dead, even if you aren't dead it takes a few seconds to work once it's full... by which time you'll either be back in another CC, or knocked/pulled somewhere where you'll soon be dead.

I say scrap it as a bad idea and bring in Diminishing Returns - a system that works.

Bioware can "explain" resolve as much as they like here - it's still obvious that it doesn't actually work for the purpose for which it was designed in pvp. By the time the bar is full you'll probably be dead, even if you aren't dead it takes a few seconds to work once it's full... by which time you'll either be back in another CC, or knocked/pulled somewhere where you'll soon be dead.

I say scrap it as a bad idea and bring in Diminishing Returns - a system that works.

nah, fix the resolve system. add a few seconds to the timer and start it ticking as soon as it goes white whether ur in a cc or not...that way no matter how quick someone is or if they try to chain cc, you'll be immune

Thank you very much for the guide. I can finally play Huttball with some thinking, not just randomly hoping it'll work out somehow. Before reading the guide, I misinterpreted the system, but now I see it works perfectly well. And hell - it brought me some score points in recent matches ;-)

Even after reading this guide I still believe the Resolve system is flawed.

As most pointed out by the time the bar fills up you are either dead or almost dead.

I would prefer diminishing returns over the resolve bar personally, however that is my opinion.

Exactly - I'm thinking resolve might work if you can stack enough expertise gear to survive a 20-30 second onslaught while you're stuck in CC - however it's practically useless so far as I can see at the moment (level 43). I can't remember it ever preventing any CC on my toon, or stopping me getting killed while in chain CC.

Diminishing Returns are needed.

I still don't quite understand the system. I get all that's stated above, but my problem is what you didn't state. How does the resolve bar fill? Does it fill up the longer you're CC'd, then go back down? Do you have to wait near the end of the CC to break it to gain this advantage? Some answers would be appreciated. Although CC break is quite annoying :D

Resolve, Crowd Control (CC) and You

bla bla bla

I do not understand why discuss, much less attach such useless topics like this.

There are tons of bugs, brake mechanics, and moronic UI, PvP disgusting because of this, and you dilute teorikraft about the use of skills. Skills can be anything that is not so important, the class balance in PvP is never perfect, some a class is usually dominant in a particular patch always, it's not a problem.

There are serious problems with PvP mechanics, so that does not implement the basic things without which the modern PvP can not be, people write about it here and you remove the whole topic, instead, attach a blank and uninteresting subject.

Edited by MortalTrick

The first post is an awesome wall of text in order to help less experienced players. I appreciated that but i do not agree that system is fine. For a pvp game, no stun should allow you to receive damage and still be in stun. The most terrible thing what is happening over and over again is you are stunned, you get toons of damage and dead. my defensive ability with 2min cooldown doesnt make difference in most cases. So while im wathing my character doing nothing then receiving damage.. i can read some books, talk with wife, whatever.. is pretty much BAD SYSTEM FOR PVP..

Guild Wars 2 is comming - my hopes will be there.

Resolve bar? Chain-cc is a constant, I've never noticed any form of diminishing/immunity. Of course, with the absurd lag in this game's pvp...I could have been immune for quite a while...or dead for quite a while...or just waiting a minute to roll into cover....

Is the game broken or does it just have a few (lots) of bugs? Time will tell, but right now I am disgusted that a 2012 game (well, it should have been...EA responsible for the early release?) is released with so many game breaking issues. Sure, the story is cute and the single-player PvE is pretty decent (now that Taris is fixed), but PvP is beyond broken. PvP is unplayable pretty much, if insta-abilities take 2 seconds...nm...doubt BW reads here.

This sounds like a underpowered PC issue, I have NONE of these issues and very low lag even on crappy hotel internet connections when travelling over the Holidays. Now I do have a very nice Gaming laptop by Alienware.

My son has a decent middle of the line HP laptop that works great for most things but he gets the odd stuttered lag (not "minutes as you quoted above, but very noticeable) and it appears to be the mobility chipset his graphics card in the laptop uses. his lag is most profound indoors if that makes any sense.

1. full white resolve bar only makes you immune to CC while its ticking down. Once the full bar goes white, there is a 1-1.5 second lag until it actually starts to tick down. During this time you can still be CC'd even though the bar is full and white.

2. If you are in a CC that turned your full bar white and are CC'd again before coming out of the previous CC, you get no immunity. Theoretically you can be CC'd indefinitely since the full white resolve bar will never start to tick.

Played another 20 or so matches last night....both of these still hold true.

Even though I detest them for the most part, I played a bunch of WZs last night to test the Resolve system myself and I noticed the above as well. Once the Resolve bar goes full, it just doesn't kick in right away. Seemed like more than a second lag to me, but then again, in combat one second can feel like an eternity. It's functionality is definitely buggy in this regard and I reported it with a screenshot included.

My recommendation to all who are giving the Resolve system a worthwhile test is that you bug report any findings. Just posting anecdotes on the Forums won't help the Devs in the slightest.

That said, I haven't experienced any of these CC spam issues in open world pvp. Those fights usually go much smoother and have lacked any of the CC spam problems I've experienced in WZs.

An experienced player uses his damage mitigation abilities in preperation of an incoming CC.

This is a huge point of contention for me. As a Vengence Juggernaut I have no damage mitigation abilities which work while stunned. Saber Ward doesn't help - can't parry while stunned. Endure Pain doesn't reduce damage taken and usually leaves the user with 1HP 10 seconds later.

Even in Soresu Form I am usually dead or dying by the time my resolve fills up IF it ever does.

Resolve on paper is an awesome system, but it needs some adjusting in practical implementation. It can't be balanced around "using mitigation abilities" to survive a stunlock when different classes have different abilities.