Are boss loot drops based off of what classes are in the party?

Ok, in another thread, someone was claiming that boss loot drops are completely random, but in my experience, 99% of the time, if I'm running with STR and AIM users, those are the types of drops we see from bosses in that particular flashpoint. Am I just the luckiest person ever, or does having certain classes in the party raise the chance to see their primary stat loot drop from that FPs bosses? I mean, I've seen the occasional WP item drop while running with a Guardian, Sentinel, two commandos type group, but it's extremely rare. Like once in every 20 or so drops rare.

I searched the net before making this thread and couldn't find a definite answer either way.

Does anyone know for sure?

Edited by Galbatorrix

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's random. I'm always getting agent drops in there is no agent or warrior drops if I haven't teamed with a warrior in days. Pretty silly really, you go through an entire FP only to end up with No rewards and not even the correct gear for companion trash.

I have run plenty of times when cunning gear would drop with no IA in the group, or aim with no BH, or strength with no warrior so no it is not aimed at classes present.

That's crazy. My experience has been the exact opposite. I even soloed TBT or the Esseles with all of my characters around level 12-13 just because I was all but guaranteed to get the blue/orange drops for my PC. Heck, I soloed TBT with my Bounty Hunter like 3 times trying to get the Operative Jacket for Mako and I got NOTHING but AIM gear each and every time.

Edited by Galbatorrix

I have run plenty of times when cunning gear would drop with no IA in the group, or aim with no BH, or strength with no warrior so no it is not aimed at classes present.
likewise: my experience is that random loot is random.

I've seen heavy str armor drop, with only a jedi sentinel in the group

I ran a flashpoint where the only piece of non-str gear to drop was a relic, without a jedi knight in the group

I ran black talon a long while back (the low level version) with a sith inquisitor and a sith warrior, and we saw aim and cunning pieces drop (I think we each got a piece of loot for our companions)

Edited by ferroz

definitely random. I've been 50 for a while now and I run BT hard mode every day for the daily. Sometimes for like a week in a row I wont see anything for my class or anyone else in the group drop.

I don't have any level 50s yet, so I don't know about Hardmodes, but regulars have always been based off class for me in my experience. Honestly, I always though it was really cool how the group influenced the loot drops. I guess that's not always the case for everyone. If I'm bugged, I hope it remains so!

My experience is similar as well. Normal modes are almost alwaays dependant on the classes inside whereas hardmodes drop pretty much random. This is more evident when I solo low level normal modes with my sniper and nothing but cunning armor/weapons drop (I think only once I had a marauder armor drop)

I think some FPs are "Smart Loot", for instance Cademimu. I soloed it with my operative and EVERY boss drop was for an operative. Got boots, pants, gloves, and chest. The only thing I couldnt use was a Sniper Rifle, and thats still geared toward the IA. So had I wanted them, all the mods in it were good for my class. Another time I went with a sorcerer and the drops were about 50/50 willpower/cunning. I have given up trying to solo orange gear for Kaliyo.

But at 50 the FPs seem much more random on loot. I assume this is to keep us doing them more than a few times.

I'd have to say quite the opposite. I'm a firm believer that whatever class is not in the party is the most likely to drop for. Too many times have we had BH crap drop while no BH's in party.. It's seems most often to be BH aswell.

One time we actually had a BH with us and while doing like 5 HM's in one day, they were ALL for him, which kinda goes against my firm belief... hmm.

I take back what I said. I'm a firm believer that it's most likely to drop for BH's whatever the party is made of.

Ok, in another thread, someone was claiming that boss loot drops are completely random, but in my experience, 99% of the time, if I'm running with STR and AIM users, those are the types of drops we see from bosses in that particular flashpoint. Am I just the luckiest person ever, or does having certain classes in the party raise the chance to see their primary stat loot drop from that FPs bosses? I mean, I've seen the occasional WP item drop while running with a Guardian, Sentinel, two commandos type group, but it's extremely rare. Like once in every 20 or so drops rare.

I searched the net before making this thread and couldn't find a definite answer either way.

Does anyone know for sure?

I have. We did Taral V and a for a sage dropped even though we didn't have a sage in group. We had a sentinel, but he'd have had to replace all the addons, making it pretty useless.

My experience is the loot drop is based on classes thats NOT in your party. Like 75% of items that no one can use and 25% where someone in party could use.

But again Random drops are random... like how I opened 82 (i actually counted) champion bag and gets no weapon while my fresh 50 buddy's 2nd champion bag has a champion lightsaber in it.

for hard mode flashpoints, the RNG seems to basically use who (not necessarly classes) is in your party to seed itself, along with other things. Don't know what the other things are, but if you do a HM flashpoint the exact same way with the exact same people, you will get the exact same loot (not just from the final boss).

Replace half the group with the same classes but different people, thing change. Bring back the original party, get the original loot again. Do an optional boss, things change too. Probably other things get take in consideration (amount of deaths maybe?)

Edited by PhoenixMatrix

I can't figure this out. WhenI am in groups of 4, it seems random. But when I go on my high level char and solo lower-level FP's to try to pick up orange moddable gear for my companions, I swear at least 80-90% of the orange items that drop are for my class.

That can't be random. I have solo'd a bare minimum of 30 full flashpoints, all bosses, and it is easily 80% consular gear that drops, maybe 90%.

The odds on that being random are so incredibly small they are essentially zero.

Edited by MithrilSoul

My experience is only with Normal mode and I usually see items drop to match the party. If this isn't normal then I am just lucky.

I took a BH along that didn't need the gear with my IA just to get Kaliyo equiped and it worked. Maybe I am just lucky. I'm sure when I hit 50 I'll get hosed and nothing for me will drop.

I can't figure this out. WhenI am in groups of 4, it seems random. But when I go on my high level char and solo lower-level FP's to try to pick up orange moddable gear for my alts, I swear at least 80-90% of the orange items that drop are for my class.

That can't be random. I have solo'd a bare minimum of 30 full flashpoints, all bosses, and it is easily 80% consular gear that drops, maybe 90%.

The odds on that being random are so incredibly small they are essentially zero.

Aren't those orange drops BoP anyway? I soloed Hammer Station and Esseles a few times for lightside points and all the stuff the bosses dropped was BoP.

But yeah, they seemed very much based on my class. And on my Smuggler, in two normal Esseles runs with another human player, I got two orange blasters, two orange jackets and two Esseles gloves... it was a little crazy. Wasn't complaining though.

Edited by Siorac

Aren't those orange drops BoP anyway? I soloed Hammer Station and Esseles a few times for lightside points and all the stuff the bosses dropped was BoP.

But yeah, they seemed very much based on my class. And on my Smuggler, in two normal Esseles runs with another human player, I got two orange blasters, two orange jackets and two Esseles gloves... it was a little crazy. Wasn't complaining though.

Yeah, I mean to say "companions" in my initial post, not "alts. I'll go back and edit it.