Guide to Bioware Logic in PvP

Kenjigreat

Im sure everyone has read the Dev's Tracker post on why they changed bolster, and honestly its a stupid move.

The idea was that Recruit Vs Elite Warhero had a huge gear gap , which is true.

Recruit Stats are typically for a dps/healing

HP: 13-15k

Bonus Dmg: 300-400

Critical Chance (Buffed): 25%ish

Surge: 68%ish

Expertise: 1000+

and Elite Warhero Minmaxed for a typical dps/healing class

HP:18-20k

Bonus Dmg : 600-700+

Critical Chance (Buffed) : 28-35%

Surge : 76-80%

Expertise:1218+

This created 1 problem

A Recuited geared team vs a War Hero/ Elite War Hero Team => Dead Recruits.

Partially due to the fact that someone in recruit gear has less experience in PvP.

Now comes Bolster, the solution to all our problems.(SUPPOSEDLY)

Anyone on the Public test server when it first launched can tell you that Bolster was horrid with 900k HP sins running around and 600K sentinels smashing people . That issue has been resolved

But we run into 3 More Issues that overlap with one another.

1) Naked Bolster and 2) Enhancement-Removal Bolster and 3 )Supercharged PvE gear in Warzones.

1) Naked Bolster needs no introduction , Strip naked and you can get 2k Expertise FREE

2) Enhancement-Removal Bolster is basically Removing Enhancements from your gear to give you better stats through the bolster system.

3) And lastly Supercharged PvE gear which im sure alot of PvPers are angry about , which is the fact that Underworld gear would rape in PvP and even more so when paired with the removal of enhancements for extra stats and expertise.

And thats not the worst part , the worst part about the new bolster system is that it KILLS Gear progression in PvP and gives no incentive for PvPers to progress their gear.

What they needed to do was to fix that 1 problem which was people in Best in Slot PvP gear have way better gear than the people who are just starting out in PvP.

And the solution is simple. Every Partisan piece is slightly worse than Conqueror Pieces . Just make another tier for FREE , Without Com/Credit cost and give it to EVERYONE and make it slightly worse than Partisan.

The real problem of Patch 1.7 was the when they removed Battlemaster from the equation instead of Recruit gear when they introduced Elite War Hero, they created a gap Resulting in

Elite War Hero(Veterans) > War Hero >>>> Recruit(Newbies)

when they should have thrown Recruit gear out the window and give everyone free Battlemaster and made it

Elite War Hero > War Hero > BattleMaster.

Do Everyone a favor and remove Bolster from Level 55 PvP.

Edited by Kenjigreat

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolster is a fine idea. If you don't think so, it means you want to squash undergeared players like bugs instead of having competitive pvp.

Meanwhile, poorly implemented, buggy bolster is an unfortunate reality that Bioware is working to address, and threads like these take up space that could be better used by relevant feedback.

Can we please agree and move on?

Bolster is a fine idea. If you don't think so, it means you want to squash undergeared players like bugs instead of having competitive pvp.

Bolster is a fine idea if it worked as intended. Unfortunately The mess we have is all due to horrible planning, testing and implementation. If they can't get it right, maybe it's time to roll back and tweak the old system until real solutions can be found.

Meanwhile, poorly implemented, buggy bolster is an unfortunate reality that Bioware is working to address, and threads like these take up space that could be better used by relevant feedback.

I don't want to squash under geared players like bugs. What I do want is for people to put some sort of effort into their gear. This ridiculous system right now allows for someone to search the Gtn for 200 credit items and enter PvP as a BiS geared player. Re-read that and think of how rediculous that is! The bolster needs to be some sort of quadratic equation that doesn't reward laziness, but allows a reasonably geared player to compete.

They should throw the bolster system in the trash, where it belongs.

And start over. In 2.5 they should introduce a new system, well planed and tested, a system that does not punish PvP player using PvP gear.

Edited by discbox

This is just anouther f up by bioware. Bolster in lowbies is a great idea not at 55. I agree that they should have removed recruit gear and gave everyone a free set of battlemasters. It would have closed the gap difference. I was in battlemaster crushing elite warhero's so don't try and say that it would be an unfair gap. If you think your that undergeared with battlemaster vs. Elite wh then you need to learn how to play your class better and not say bioware is doing good because this set up is far from good. All this system does is give baddies a chance to not die in 3 seconds because they don't know how to use defensive cds

I say bring back champion and centurion gear and the old rng system that way every one can enjoy what hell really was like way back when.

I agree. Bring back the tokens and bags that way we can have a HUGE gear gap again. That way when players "work hard" to get their new gear, they know what it's like to have RNG give you the same pieces you already have, 19 times in a row.

While the amount of misinformation and QQ regarding the new gear and Bolster system is reaching epic proportions, I think we can do better. Bring back the bags. I want to see my monitor actually dripping from all the tears.

Props to the OP, couldnt agree more.

Ill be 100% ok with bolster when they add it to pve, but otherwise how fair is that? if hardcore PvErs can now walk into a WZ with no pvp gear and get good buffs, then why cant hardcore Pvpers with no PvE gear go run some of the hardest ops and hms? im all for a more even pvp, but some sort of gap needs to exsist (again doesnt have to be huge) or there is no real gear grind. This gap doesnt need to be as big as EWH vs. recruit was and i hope it isnt, but again if the pvp gear barely helps, why grind it. For any PvErs that disagree, id love to see bolster added to hms or ops and see how much fun your gear grind and experiences are. Then come back and talk about bolster, we will see where you stand

I do, if they provide a new recruit gear. They also should make conqueror run at the same quality of underworld to remove the need for underworld gear in PvP. Just as it was for EWH and DG in 1.7.

Props to the OP, couldnt agree more.

Ill be 100% ok with bolster when they add it to pve, but otherwise how fair is that? if hardcore PvErs can now walk into a WZ with no pvp gear and get good buffs, then why cant hardcore Pvpers with no PvE gear go run some of the hardest ops and hms? im all for a more even pvp, but some sort of gap needs to exsist (again doesnt have to be huge) or there is no real gear grind. This gap doesnt need to be as big as EWH vs. recruit was and i hope it isnt, but again if the pvp gear barely helps, why grind it. For any PvErs that disagree, id love to see bolster added to hms or ops and see how much fun your gear grind and experiences are. Then come back and talk about bolster, we will see where you stand

Forget hardest ops and FPS. Conqueror gear can barley get by in lvl 55 fps.

Great Logic BW. I don't even play the game since 2.0 came out. I am so disgusted (not to mention confused) with what you did to pvp. I guess that's one way to fix the problem...drive everyone way.

Admit your mistake, put it back the way it was, and work on a realistic solution. Each failed cure you try kills the patient

Im sure everyone has read the Dev's Tracker post on why they changed bolster, and honestly its a stupid move.

The idea was that Recruit Vs Elite Warhero had a huge gear gap , which is true.

Now comes Bolster, the solution to all our problems.(SUPPOSEDLY)

Anyone on the Public test server when it first launched can tell you that Bolster was horrid with 900k HP sins running around and 600K sentinels smashing people . That issue has been resolved

But we run into 3 More Issues that overlap with one another.

1) Naked Bolster and 2) Enhancement-Removal Bolster and 3 )Supercharged PvE gear in Warzones.

1) Naked Bolster needs no introduction , Strip naked and you can get 2k Expertise FREE

2) Enhancement-Removal Bolster is basically Removing Enhancements from your gear to give you better stats through the bolster system.

3) And lastly Supercharged PvE gear which im sure alot of PvPers are angry about , which is the fact that Underworld gear would rape in PvP and even more so when paired with the removal of enhancements for extra stats and expertise.

And thats not the worst part , the worst part about the new bolster system is that it KILLS Gear progression in PvP and gives no incentive for PvPers to progress their gear.

What they needed to do was to fix that 1 problem which was people in Best in Slot PvP gear have way better gear than the people who are just starting out in PvP.

And the solution is simple. Every Partisan piece is slight worse than Conqueror Pieces . Just make another tier for FREE , Without Com/Credit cost and give it to EVERYONE and make it slightly worse than Partisan.

The real problem of Patch 1.7 was the when they removed Battlemaster from the equation instead of Recruit gear when they introduced Elite War Hero, they created a gap Resulting in

Elite War Hero(Veterans) > War Hero >>>> Recruit(Newbies)

when they should have thrown Recruit gear out the window and give everyone free Battlemaster and made it

Elite War Hero > War Hero > BattleMaster.

Hear, hear.

And the solution is simple. Every Partisan piece is slight worse than Conqueror Pieces . Just make another tier for FREE , Without Com/Credit cost and give it to EVERYONE and make it slightly worse than Partisan..

They don't even have to hand out actual pieces, just bolster every non partisan or conqueror piece to exactly this level, be it underworld or questing green

The gap between bolstered greens, and the Partisan gear, is larger than you're QQing about. Have you played since 2.0.0b? Playing against someone in Part/Conq gear still gives a significant advantage in WZs. You're QQing because that advantage is smaller, but still huge, IMO.

And it isn't KILLING gear progression PvP, according to everyone. Just a vocal minority.

Edited by KeeperOfSajuuk

The gap between bolstered greens, and the Partisan gear, is larger than you're QQing about. Have you played since 2.0.0b? Playing against someone in Part/Conq gear still gives a significant advantage in WZs. You're QQing because that advantage is smaller, but still huge, IMO.

And it isn't KILLING PvP.

Yes but if you remove the enhancement from your bolstered green set that changes. If you then remove an augment from your bolstered green to check if it changes something you'll find it doesn't. So you put your augment back in and bam your in uber gear. This is what i am qqing about

And the solution is simple. Every Partisan piece is slight worse than Conqueror Pieces . Just make another tier for FREE , Without Com/Credit cost and give it to EVERYONE and make it slightly worse than Partisan.

This won't work. They gave free Recruit gear to people and people wouldn't use it. The solution is not to create a third tier of gear. It is to convert everything that is not current pvp gear into a third tier of gear, i.e. replace Bolster with CONVERT.

It would work as follows: each item slot would be examined. If the item in the slot has less expertise than the corresponding Partisan item, then the slot gets CONVERTED into a item with 2 pts less Endurance than Partisan. If the item in the slot has the same or more expertise than the corresponding Partisan item, then it gets used as is. This is simple. This can not be exploited. This solves the problem of people using PvE gear in PvP. This gives people who want to do PvP but don't have the gear a chance in warzones. THIS IS THE CORRECT SOLUTION. It will not be implemented. Doh.

This won't work. They gave free Recruit gear to people and people wouldn't use it. The solution is not to create a third tier of gear. It is to convert everything that is not current pvp gear into a third tier of gear, i.e. replace Bolster with CONVERT.

It would work as follows: each item slot would be examined. If the item in the slot has less expertise than the corresponding Partisan item, then the slot gets CONVERTED into a item with 2 pts less Endurance than Partisan. If the item in the slot has the same or more expertise than the corresponding Partisan item, then it gets used as is. This is simple. This can not be exploited. This solves the problem of people using PvE gear in PvP. This gives people who want to do PvP but don't have the gear a chance in warzones. THIS IS THE CORRECT SOLUTION. It will not be implemented. Doh.

-_- Like I said its clear that they can't make bolster work from the current state of PvP and the PTS, If people are dumb enough not to use FREE Gear and QQ about PvP then why punish Us?

Great post but unfortunately, the DEVS are not listening, nor do they care!!!!

They will when people start unsubscribing. I am currently on the edge, waiting to how the next patch will fold. If it does not resolve PvP current problems, I guess that's it for me.