please explain sensor radius vs. focus

Kuciwalker

Logically, this would be the difference between how far away you can pick up the target on radar vs. how far away you can actually get detailed stats on them in the target window. However, I can't actually remember any situation in which I could pick up someone on radar but didn't get the detailed stats in the target window.

Sensor Radius: How far away you can see someone and target them.

Sensor Focus: Additionally how far you can see someone in a small cone in front of you.

Sensor Dampening on the opponent subtracts from these numbers.

Example: My scout has 17k Radius and 17k focus. Usually, I can only see the fighter with 5k dampening sneaking behind me at 12k meters. (However, due to a bug on the Known Issues, I can see him at 15k meters.) If I turn around and face him, I can see him at 29k meters.

Sensor Radius: How far away you can see someone and target them.

Sensor Focus: Additionally how far you can see someone in a small cone in front of you.

Sensor Dampening on the opponent subtracts from these numbers.

Example: My scout has 17k Radius and 17k focus. Usually, I can only see the fighter with 5k dampening sneaking behind me at 12k meters. (However, due to a bug on the Known Issues, I can see him at 15k meters.) If I turn around and face him, I can see him at 29k meters.

Hey, nice example, but can you give an example with sensor radius vs. sensor focus as asked by the OP?

I still don't understand radius vs. focus.

Radius is all around your ship. If you have 10k sensor radius, you'll be able to see enemies up to 10k away if they're above you, behind you, or to your side.

Focus is distance IN ADDITION TO radius, but only applies to the area you're looking at.

If I have 10k radius and 10k focus, I can see 10k all around and 20k in front of me.

Radius is all around your ship. If you have 10k sensor radius, you'll be able to see enemies up to 10k away if they're above you, behind you, or to your side.

Focus is distance IN ADDITION TO radius, but only applies to the area you're looking at.

If I have 10k radius and 10k focus, I can see 10k all around and 20k in front of me.

So then what is the point of picking 2500m focus over 2500m radius?