Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game #2

EricMusco

Kinda sad when SGR gets a bigger commitment than PvP does from the Executive Producer...lets us know where we stand in their eyes.

Meh, the PvP folks (I'm one of them) have gotten

1. RWZ preseason
  2. Novare Coast
  3. Hypergates

While the SGRA folks were promised SGRA and haven't gotten squat. Myself, I'm not interested in SGRA but there are folks who are. EA/BW's decision to implement some content for the SGRA folks is based on a business case (as are all new features and content). I'm fine with that. Not every change has to be for my personal benefit.

As for PvP, I dearly hope that the new stuff planned is not YAW™ (Yet Another Warzone). We need new features (8-man challenge matches) and old bugs fixed (e.g. reconnect disconnected players in RWZ) far more than we need YAW™.

Improved match scheduling so we get more competitive matches and fewer one sided matches is less visible than a new WZ or Season 1 but would greatly improve the WZ experience of n00bs. More n00bs enjoying WZ means a more robust WZ community in the long run.

SPECULATION: Given that character copy has been mentioned, I'm guessing that BW will finally implement a cross server PvP Season 1 playoff by copying finalist teams from each server to a playoff server. Let us hope they do something to move rated WZ forward!

Edited by funkiestj

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine is in much better shape compared to how it was back at launch. We have had some large PVP battles on our server and there were no framerate drop issues at all.

Seems some people can't get old ideas out of their head no matter how many improvements are made.

Just go out and try it, then you will see.

It IS much better. It would just be nice to at least have a system in place that gives you reason to World PvP beyond just the fun so more people would do it. Bring daily weekly kill quests that reward you with comms that you can use to buy Warzone comms to get gear or shinies. It can't be that hard.

Plus, if they really have trouble with lag/area stability, make the world PvP area its own server, with shards for overloading, that you can port to if you want to World PvP. A large Warzone in a sense that times out after an hour or 30 mins, or when the battle is won. I know this is possible. :cool:

That's nice so have I, still has NO bearing on the hero engine being able to handle Open World PvP like Ilum months ago.

The result would be the same, which is why EA hasn't tried to bring it back.

Funny cause its coming back this month :D

PVP live event in ilum this month, guess we will find out how well the engine handles it very soon!

introducing new incentives to revisit existing areas

I find this one interesting, I think it could be pretty cool to have a reason to go to each of the other planets rather than skipping from Fleet - Black Hole - Section X - Fleet - Black Hole - Section X -Fleet - Black Hole - Section X - Fleet - Black Hole - Section X - ....

I still want to know if there is any progress (or work at all) on neutral characters. Granted, there can't be a neutral 5 or anything like that, but some kind of reward for staying neutral, as promised from the beginning would be nice.

Oh man I completely agree with you there, it is very frustrating.

Funny thing is, I know hundreds of players that are playing GW2 only for the WvW. They prefer TOR combat but play GW2 because TOR has nothing to offer when it comes to Open World PVP.

This. People are even playing LOTRO for the Open World PvP over TOR. There are guilds with hundreds of players that left because of the Open World fail, but I know many would love to come back if there was some kind of Open World game.

No mention of Cathar? and how long have the team been talking about them... They should of been out by now. Now I have a feeling when they are finally release they are going to have the uglest looks to them.

Update: Can we please get Cathar release ETA and put the ability to pay for a race change on the cartel marketplace.

Didn't we originally get told Cathar would be out before the end of 2012. The fact we got told this in like May gave me hope we would have a load of new species by end of 2012 so far we dont even have Cathar and they were not even mentioned in the future of game blog.

I would like to see development blow up the fleet and put PVP quest terminals / gear vendors and PVE quest terminals / gear vendors on every planet to encourage the use of the leveling planets.

Many of the old planets are giant and could even be expanded with new content.

I would like to see a Krayt Dragon world boss on tatooine!

pfff SGR exactly what we were missing. Damn i couldn't play the game because of the lack of that. How about you give us something to do besides daily quest, how about some pazzak, or swoop racing. How about some of those minigames? SGR... many won't even get to enjoy that part of the content because it disgusts them or because they already have a romance. I mean c'mon was that the top target? Was that the absolute most important single thing that this game needed? How about minigames, how about chat bubbles, how about usable chairs, how about MORE PERSONAL STORY that everyone gets to enjoy not just a selected few, how about making crafting worth having again? Edited by Sebah

I do have a suggestion- could you please take away the dark points for romancing Doc on the Jedi Knight female? It seems male knights can romance Kira with no problems. But for some reason females can't. I wish I could've romanced him. Although he is a little strange. hahaha

Also, playing on Ilum (dailies) on the republic side seems to create some serious lag where my character literally stops moving and then swooshes....

Oh and more pets! All my characters created after the transfer only have 1 pet they make the game more fun.

Thanks for your consideration : )

Edited by Desri

I would like to see development blow up the fleet and put PVP quest terminals / gear vendors and PVE quest terminals / gear vendors on every planet to encourage the use of the leveling planets.

Many of the old planets are giant and could even be expanded with new content.

I would like to see a Krayt Dragon world boss on tatooine!

Yes!! Keep the hubs on the planets...maybe give more reasons for fights to break out on Nar Shaada like the live event did. MORE LIVE EVENTS!!:D

Keep up the good work Bioware! ^_^

The game has been getting better and better for me since I first started. Its really starting to feel polished and alive now that we have F2P and the Cartel Market, even though a lot of people are upset about it in the forums =P

NOthing about pazzak, nothing on swoop racing, pod racing...nothing on the SSSP (super secret space project).

And a slap in the face to people that want world pvp...just an awesome update there

pfff like those are important. The thing this game truly is missing is SGR. it's a make or brake the game type of thing. /sarcasm

So, they couldn't add in additional class stories, but they're taking the time to add in the ability to flirt with NPCs of the same gender? I really wish I'd have known this BEFORE I paid the $10 bucks. Their priorities are really messed up. They make the 1% happy by adding story content just for them (content that most people don't care about at all) all the while shunning the very reason most people have stayed with the game so long in the first place.... class story lines....

Can I get a refund?

A few things I was wondering about got answered, so it's a start. I think the first appearance of SGR is a nice step, and there's more they want us to be able to do with companions. That's great for keeping the game feeling like a Bioware production at max level.

Ilum and something else involving Open World PvP are on track. PTS character copies should be working soon. That alone could result in stomping bugs like the ones that cropped up in Section X before a patch goes live.

"Reasons for guilds to recruit" could mean we see some sort of guild progression and perks, maybe taxes to contribute to the guild bank.

Obviously I'd like details right away, but a few things on the "to-do" list we've known about are happening soon, so I appreciate the update.

So, they couldn't add in additional class stories, but they're taking the time to add in the ability to flirt with NPCs of the same gender? I really wish I'd have known this BEFORE I paid the $10 bucks. Their priorities are really messed up. They make the 1% happy by adding story content just for them (content that most people don't care about at all) all the while shunning the very reason most people have stayed with the game so long in the first place.... class story lines....

Can I get a refund?

no kidding...this is downright disgraceful. Bioware is so completely out of touch with the gaming community its ridiculous. Now to have the discussion with my guild to see if we should continue putting up with this clueless gaming company mishandling a great IP or if we should just quit this game and go dink around playing The Secret World until TESO comes out. Bioware has ruined Star Wars.

still no plans for the ailing APAC servers Jeff ?

from State of the Game #1

Pretty sure every member of the APAC community will read this in disgust. All free to play did was have more people on Tython then our fleet. Peak time on Master Dar'Nala the population is lower then The Bastion at off peak time. We have multiple threads and posts about our pop for months now and NO ONE FROM BIOWARE SEEMS TO CARE

The game is incredibly healthy with an ever increasing number of players who are actively playing (the servers are rocking!).

Yeah the other servers are rocking not the APAC ones i dare any bioware dev to log on Master Dar'Nala and come back and say oh this sever is "rocking".

///EDIT

ALSO WE DON'T WANT TRANSFERS WE WANT A MERGE I KNOW SO MANY PEOPLE THAT WOULD LEAVE IF WE HAD TO PLAY ON THE AMERICAN SERVERS. BIOWARE JUST GET BACK TO US WE ARE GETTING FED UP WITH NO COMMUNICATION

Edited by ZIMMOZMAN

Where is my option to cancel my pre order of the expac? Hickman has convinced me of biowares failure to communicate and understand their playerbase effectively. He has convinced me it is time to cancel sub and get off this sinking ship.

Once again Hickman ignores the question of future class story content.

"I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character."

That sentence makes no sense and can only be logically interpreted in one way -- no SGR companion romances. Which makes sense, because that would involve investing in voice actor talent and producing future class story content and we all kind of get that that won't be happening.

(Fine for me, my sub is already lapsed anyway... no class/companion story = no sub)

It means same gender romances, NOT WITH YOUR COMPANIONS..

it was pretty clear.

Romances are NOT limited to your companions.

While I am not saying no to some sith girl on girl.... I know, I know, I'm a pig (either objectifying or oppressing it seems I cant win) but I do want to point out that players, in a mmoRPG, have long had this going on.

Chat bubbles, would just make it easier, but any night at the Slippery Slope on Nar Shaddaa and this SGR is so solved.

Don't get all Jedi McJudgey pants either. It happens.....People have hooked up a few generations. Nar Shaddaa is space Vegas after all, and people do hook up in Vegas. ( I hear that at-least)

Just saying....CHAT BUBBLES!!! Make getting your space groove on easier.

Edited by WeadonismyMaster