Do people hate or love Galactic Starfighter?

LegoUniverseBC

I think it honestly depends on the match. I love the good balanced matches where we end up pretty close. I usually "hate" the matches where one team is vastly superior to the other. Those aren't especially fun when I'm on the winning side since it's basically shooting fish in a barrel, and obviously when I'm on the losing side it sucks since nothing you do will result in a win.

I think right now I feel it's a tie between needing more maps/game modes and needing further refining of ship balance. I lean slightly towards balance since it'd be fun to see more ship varieties out there, especially in competitive matches.

At the top of my wish list of non-essential things is a shark mouth paint scheme for strikers. It would look so freaking cool on the Republic striker model.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally loved it at the start. I don't play much nowadays - basically only when friends/guildies ask me, and it's more for the people than for the GSF itself. Once I get the [Total Galactic War] conquest achievement, which will probably require doing a chunk of GSF, I intend to take an indefinite break.

The main reason is purely subjective: I dislike (now almost outright hate) the current meta. Type 2 Scout remains an overtuned lolship, and Gunships in TDM and Bombers in Domination stack way too well (and due to generally unbalanced matches caused by small player pool, the weaker side tends to gravitate towards such stacking since it offers best effort/gain ratio). But the subjective part is that I don't enjoy at all the "tactical chess" nature of the meta (this ship/build counters that ship/build, and this ship/build is ideal here and here). I understand some people like exactly that and I'm not calling for a change. But for me (I'm mostly PVEr) it's like saying: "Well in this FP you need to bring the Juggernaut tank, and in that FP you need Operative healer, and in that one over there Mercenary Pyrotech is a must. What, you like to play AP Powertech? Well ... maybe that FP will do, but you'll perform subpar and we will have to carry you."

Edited by Danylia

Or the devs could stop running off all their potential customers and make rated or brackets so the new people get some practice instead being perma wreckage. But you can keep arguing against it until theres nobody left.

They tried that already in warzones, turns out the high ranking players prefer nuking newbs and more or less actively avoid fighting each other.... in fact I suspect that ranked brackets would turn into ghost towns much like rated is atm.

Honestly the only thing that would make things fair, more or less, is to just randomize the teams entirely, including faction. Apparently with 3.0, lore wise, we're working with the pubs anyway... so why the hell not.

Right now I don't think it gets the kind of use in the playerbase it deserves, and that is due to poor design IMO.

The mechanics and talent system were poorly designed IMO, and that has caused it to be a turkey shoot, which turns away the majority of potential players from what otherwise is a great addition to the game.

GSF deserves more players IMO. Changes have to be made to make that a reality, and frankly the current niche playerbase would likely not approve of the changes needed IMO.

I have fun playing it when ever I get in a match. I used to play it every day when it came out in addition to my regular dose of ground pvp, but as we got a influx of new players I leveled off to give them a chance to learn the game better instead of getting blasted by veterans like me who had been playing it from day 1. A couple of weeks ago, I returned again to try it out and I was surpised that the teams are pretty evenly matched now. The addition of Conquest points providing added incentive in addition to the daily/weekly are a nice touch also. I love playing my strike fighter (the first one you get) cause I love the versatility of switching your laser cannnons from ion cannons to quad lasers. So I'd say that I love Galactic Starfighter. Its a good addition to the game and its something I enjoy.

• 10 months later...

im so noob there but as far a si know i can shot 3300000000000000000000000000000000 quatrillion shots to someone (ALL HITTING) and didnt looks like a damage it will be easy to destroy the death start with a baseball bat

and then i have a gunship wich "holds" more and i didnt even saw he im dead in 2 hits... or one, and there are always 2 or 3 kings the rest get smashed is like if ground pvp was lvl 1-60 and while ground has a bolster the gsf havent so a good skilled best ship best equiped player will farm the rest, thats the main reason of my hate, the controls are like another game i know and i HATE the controls but HATE TILL MY LAST breath, is a mess of interface with a reticle than moves as ur fighter do so annoying, for me i will delete my gsf expansion in exchange of 1-2 credits....

HATE IT

Necro, and another case for a better tutorial + better matchmaking.

I like it, but I haven't flown very much recently.

They did a lot of things right with it. It's a 3-space space game actually playable with keyboard+mouse. Controls aren't too cluttered, and there are several very effective builds of ships with a lot of variety.

Some of the stuff they obviously spreadsheeted with no regard for how the component would actually be used in the game.

Some of the parts are way too binary: the weapon ignores damage reduction stat or it doesn't.

Burst lasers are still the correct choice on any ship which can fit them.

I can only seem to pilot bombers, I suck at all the others and I hate it because when I think of space battles I think of x-wings, a-wings, TIE fighters and want to be like that but I just suck at it.

Just takes practice. I suck at bombers, largely because I hate flying them. But I'm sure if I spent more time in them, I'd get better. I imagine you're good with bombers because you have the most experience flying them.

Stick with a scout for several dozen games. Add turning upgrades as they become available (thrusters, T3 engine) if that makes it easier for you (it did for me). I'll bet you see marked improvement if you keep at it.

Edited by MaximilianPower

I can only seem to pilot bombers, I suck at all the others and I hate it because when I think of space battles I think of x-wings, a-wings, TIE fighters and want to be like that but I just suck at it.

Bombers are great entry level ships, as they are extremely strong in their role (defending an area) without needing much upgrades and as their damage is to a huge part done by mines and drones they don't depend much on pilot aim. They're good to learn evasive flying.

If you want to start with small fighters I recommend using a T2 Scout (Flashfirs If you're Republican, Sting if you're Imperial, Ocula if you want to spend Cartel Coins) with Burst Laser Cannons (T4 ignore armor), Cluster Missiles, Distortion Field (T3 disable enemy missile lock) and Retro Thrusters (T1 & T2). I only listed the imho most important components/upgrades; for more information I recommend the Stasiepedia. The T2 Scout is by far the best dogfighter in game and it's a very strong ship in almost every situation. You will need to practice flying it a while to use the bigger part of the ship's potential. Situational awareness and knowing how to act or react in a situation is extremely important for scout pilots.

Edited by Danalon

im so noob there but as far a si know i can shot 3300000000000000000000000000000000 quatrillion shots to someone (ALL HITTING) and didnt looks like a damage

Not to needlessly continue this necro'd thread, but this experience right here is why rapid fire lasers, the default primary weapon on both starter ships, needs to be changed from the trap that it is.

If you are in a starter ship, using RFLs, fighting evasion stacking scouts or gunships or charged plating bombers, in other words, basically the current meta, this is exactly the phenomenon you'll see.