What class is best?

pizzathewho

Ok i'm gonna take a crack at this based on my experience thus far:

Smuggler

Most fun dialogue options, this guy's 1 liners are great. Story is pretty decent, not amazing but definitely worth a play through. Later game PvP and PvE they're fine, maybe one of the better healers due to high mobility.

Imperial Agent

Same as smuggler but not as many good 1 liners, but probably the best story in the game and the one that can be influenced the most by your decisions.

Trooper

I am currently working through the game with a Vanguard. Story: pretty good, PvP with Vanguard is a lot of fun due to being tanky and being able to jump to and pull people around. Commando I havent played much.

Bounty Hunter

Same as trooper but a better story (at least I enjoyed it more due to the setting of being a bounty hunter) and of course you weild blaster pistols instead of rifles (which are no way near as cool). The biggest plus side to BH is their animations are considerably cooler than the Trooper's.

Jedi Knight

Either tanky and a tough time levelling, or dual weild and melt everything. I heard Guardians are not so hot in PvE tanking right now, they can do it but people are generally finding them pretty 'meh'. Storyline is usual action hero star wars stuff you'd expect.

Sith Warrior

Same as the Knight but with a darker story line. Personally I find the Warrior one slightly more interesting because we haven't had that many opportunities to dive deep into the sith story in video games outside of SWTOR. The Warrior also has better companions early on (IMO).

Jedi Consular

Sage has virtually 0 lightsaber attacks. Don't play this unless you're prepared to go 100% spell caster. Shadows are very strong right now due to their overall kit but they're considered hard to play as they require a lot of button pushing and using things at the right time.

The Consular story is good and interesting, but requires a bit more patience than the other stories. I'd argue it's actually one of the best if you're a role player or love star wars in general and pay a lot of attention to detail instead of mashing space bar.

Sith Inquisitor

Story was written by the intern, widely considered to be the worst story in the game. It's not BAD, it's still pretty decent as it obviously went through some QA from Bioware, but it's pretty straightforward compared to the other classes.

Most annoying class in the game right now

Strictly speaking from a PvP perspective: snipers/gunslingers - these guys are so annoying in PvP its ridiculous, they just setup camp and you can't do much, immune to all sorts of CC, decent defense, if they pick a good spot or have a healer on them they're going to put out some big numbers. I really dislike playing against these guys because... ugh.

Most needed class

Healer. Anything healing. 90% of the time I see people LFG they need a healer for the last spot. In PvP I see a bunch of tanks (although mostly just DPS) but rarely a dedicated healer.

This is probably attributed to the fact that healers rely on their teammates/groupmates for success. I personally have an Imperial Agent healer at 50 but rarely play him because no matter what I heal if people don't do their job we're still going to die.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Edited by TebsOuri

Thanks for the reply , this is a helpful overview for me, as I'm still learning what's what in the game. I'm currently playing as a Jedi sentinal but finding some of the combat can be quite hard to control especially in pvp (I.e I'm not very good lol) What class works best as a healer? Cheers :D

Personal opinion time:

PvP

I prefer Smugglers or Agents. They have heal over time abilities, can heal while running around pretty effectively, it also makes it hard to interrupt them, and they can vanish in the middle of a fight.

Other healers require a lot of cast time to get their heals off which can make it tricky. They also lack the same amount of "oh crap" buttons to save themselves and therefore become a bit more reliant on teammates.

PvE

Personally I prefer the consular/inquisitor style of healing for PvE. It's a bit more of the traditional healer experience with bubbles and big heals and fast heals. I also enjoy it slightly from a role playing POV (not that I role play, but getting immersed in the star wars experience it makes more sense to be using the force to heal people that it does to have a smuggler or commando healing you).

If you're generally going to be solo'ing content more, a commando would be a good choice because they are pretty strong at PvE even when healer specc'd. Consular and Smugglers are also strong in PvE as healers but you'll take a longer time to kill anything.

I am fairly new to swtor and was just wondering which class people think is the most powerful on the game and which class do people think is the most fun to play with? I would be grateful of all opinions. :D

In my opinion, BioWare has done a good job keeping the various classes reasonably balanced. Yes, in specific aspects of the game there are classes that stand out, but they do not dominate the ENTIRE game. I Played EQ1 where the cleric was THE healer and the warrior was THE tank. There is no class in SWTOR that is THE anything.

I also think that play style has a bigger impact than other games. For example, if the sniper agent was in fact the most powerful class in this game, but you REALLY wanted to play a force user with a lightsaber, you would probably be disappointed with the agent no matter how powerful it was.

Lastly, this is not your typical MMO. The stories are one of the most important aspects of playing each class. And if you dislike the class story you will probably dislike the class. Yes, most other MMOs have some sort of lore and story, but this is the first time in any MMO I have ever played over 13 years where I have actually thought about my characters' personalities and their interactions in the universe. I was always of the opinion that MMOs were "lesser" RPGs - that if you wanted to role-play, get a group of friends and play a tabletop RPG. SWTOR changed my mind.

Edited by psandak

(only speaking in terms of pvp dps)

powertech= easiest class in the game and very powerfull (every rated team that wants to win has at least one of those, better 2)

marauder = medium to play, when mastered very powerfull

juggernout= medium to play, when mastered powerfull and great utility

sniper = hard to play ,when mastered quite powerfull (though not faceroll)

sorc= hard to play, when mastered quite powerfull (but not faceroll)

assassin = hard to play, when mastered great for utility/objectives but mediocre for dps

operative= very hard to play, when mastered good for utility/objectives , bad for dps

mercenary = hard to play, even when mastered almost no utility , and mediocre for dps

Edited by Quantemoq

• 2 weeks later...