Suggestions for a Computer

CHatton

That's gonna be rough. A decent GPU costs $500 all by itself. I'll be interested to see the replies. I have a Toshiba satellite I bought for about $600 that does okay, but the graphics are on the lowest possible setting. I can't recommend it. Edited by MSchuyler

Ok, thanks. Can anyone make a recommendation for a computer between $800 and $1000?

if you have existing components. such as a hard drive with windows on it and screen mouse keyboard etc, you can do a reasonable build yourself for about 780 -850 . so your basically just building a tower. reuse what you can from a old or existing pc.

I managed...

a ok looking black tower. all the usual crap on it.

8 gb ram <-- make sure you have windows 64-bit system 32-bit win systems only supports 4gb.

quad core i5 2320 3.2 gh sandy bridge.

gigabyte H67MA-USB3-B3 motherboard

and i started off with a GT 450 (as i was out of money)

it ran star wars absolutely fine, and as advised by the pc guys, down the line i replaced the graphics card to a Geforce Gtx 660 for 299 dollars, and i now pee on star wars, far cry 3, bf3 and the likes... but a entry level graphics card will tie you over until you save up those pennys .furthermore if i had of known then what i know now :eek:. i could have taken another 150-200 dollars of the price.. turns out the pc shop i went to wasn't the cheapest so it pays to find decent supplier at discount prices.

if you don't want to go the way of a desktop you could easily find a laptop for 1000 dollars that would run star wars absolutely fine, when buying a laptop make sure you check that the graphics are not integrated. (on board) you want a laptop that actually has a graphics card in it, that combined with quad core or even a decent duo core will see you having no problems.

Edited by falcon_Xtreme

if you don't want to go the way of a desktop you could easily find a laptop for 1000 dollars that would run star wars absolutely fine, when buying a laptop make sure you check that the graphics are not integrated. (on board) you want a laptop that actually has a graphics card in it, that combined with quad core or even a decent duo core will see you having no problems.

Good post. This is a point worth emphasizing. On my Toshiba, mentioned above, the "graphics" is done with the system memory and the CPU itself. This is NOT GOOD because it's using some of your precious memory and CPU speed to run the graphics, and not very well at that. That's why gaming machines, such as Alienware or similar, are built around the graphics card because the card has all its own memory and processing power. It's not stealing power from the CPU itself.

But BE SURE and check if your graphics card of choice has the correct connection to the buss of the mother board. I screwed that up once and still have a card that doesn't fit any mother board I have. I keep it so I can remind myself not to be stupid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230580

That will run it on maxed gfx no problem. I have the model before this, the Asus g74 which i have owned for about 18 months. It runs in high around 30-40fps. I use it with a 24" LED monitor now but i used just the laptop for close to a year. I really wouldn't mind having that exact laptop myself.

Oh and yes i do realize this is refurb, mine was as well. No problems whatsoever in 18 months. =]

I have an 17" Asus G75VW gaming laptop. I run this game on the highest settings. I spent $1300.00 for it last Christmas. While writing this reply I saw it for $1100 and some change. I understand limited budgets. But if you're starting from scratch, you will not get what you want for less than $800 refurbished.

I 2nd the ASUS gaming laptops they scream! I have two of them, the G73 models. The first I bought on sale which was $1199 at the time. About 6 months later I bought the exact same laptop on clearance for $750. Both from Best Buy. Check the clearance aisle for bargains/refurbs/last years models.

My son just built his budget gaming desktop for $600 & it runs everyhting he's thrown at it. You definitely will get more bang for your buck if you think you can build your own. Good luck!

I'm glad to find this thread, since I'm also in the market, and I've been looking at "bang for your buck" over max performance. I've found some good ideas from Tom's Hardware for a $600 machine (minus keyboard, mouse, monitor, or OS, so figure $800-$900 from scratch). They say it does a demanding winter 2012 first-person shooter with high settings (no AA) at 60+ FPS at 1680x1050, and can be over clocked to do ultra settings with 4XAA in the same resolution at 30+ FPS. I don't remember them benchmarking any MMOs, but I'd think that would also work rather well for SWTOR unless you want max everything (if so, they also have an $800 and a $1000 rig for higher performance).

That's my goal, though I'll probably modify it for my needs a bit: I'm also wanting to do multiplayer RTS and some flight sims. I hope that helps!

Edited by Shenred
Stylistic

I'm thinking of replacing the laptop I have which i rather not since i haven't had it a year. The screen feels flimsy, it won't acknowledge when my headset, won't acknowledge my iPod unless I restart it. It won't do anything with the screen saver!. Correction: it doesn't show the screen saver the only time I have seen the screen saver was when I GENTLY bump the mouse after being away for a bit and it will either then sow or flash briefly to it before going to the home screen.

A friend's husband recommended getting an Apple since he knows Macs and they tend to be more reliable (in his opinion).

But I have been looking at a gaming laptop. An Asus.

My last laptop was a Toshiba Satellite so I tried another. It was one of those 'build your own'. So I added a Blu-Ray Drive and I think I asked for more RAM.

Read reviews and ask fellow gamers and see what they prefer.

:ph_danger:

If you just want to play from your home then don't get a laptop if your looking for bang for your buck. Build it yourself or have a computer suave friend help you build it. You'll get a better system that way than going with laptop or prebuilt for same price and more than likely come in a good bit under your budget. If you have a LCD tv pass on moniter since you'll be able to play it on that. If you don't then get one instead if a moniter since they are much cheaper than computer moniters, unless you plan or re-using old moniter. AMD processors are a lot cheaper than intel comprables and actually process graphics better. There are tons of sites that you can order computer stuff from so shop around for best deals.

I payed $1050 for my system but i spent a huge chunk on on new OS, solid state drive and graphics card. If you don't want latest and greatest everything I can imagine you could come in way under that.

*sigh* Now if they had something better than this gimpy dsl where I live, I'd be sety